WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More Cheap Off Road Radio Hacks!

guzman

Reaction score
Instruction worked have my radio programed like all the other on our riding team. Can wait to try it out on the trail. The forum was a big help.

Rucardocdd

Reaction score
The FCC has cracked down on the "programmed" mobile radio deal. And if you need a new radio you end up having to pay for extra software and program yourself, or pay some third party for the programming. The 60+watt radios are more powerful radios but are also hundreds of dollars. If you just want to talk with your people out in the dirt over a few miles of distance, and save a few bucks, this 25 watt radio might be for you.

I can't take full credit for this one as I read about bits and pieces of it so I bought another product and experimented with a similar method, and luckily it worked. So I'm just passing it along but what you end up with is a fully functional off road radio that is intercom ready, waterproof, and no programing software to buy. Rugged makes all kinds of mounts for this radio, so you can put it in almost anything easily.

If you want a radio you can use WITH and intercom this is for you. If you don't need the intercom you can buy these on Amazon without the intercom dongle.

What we are doing is taking a Rugged Radios 25Watt waterproof GMRS mobile radio (Part # GMR25) locked down to 16 GMRS channels only, and flashing it with different firmware to completely unlock it to transmit and listen on a wider frequency spectrum.

It is on sale now for $157. You will need some sort of antenna and antenna cable as well. Don't buy the GMRS antenna from Rugged, because we aren't transmitting on just GMRS anymore.

Buy this $11 cable to program your radio

Go to the TYT support website and download 2 things -

Your computer will likely freak out and tell you that you are going to die if you install the firmware and software. go ahead and tell it you want to proceed anyway.

Install the firmware open the included firmware file in the firmware tool, rig up some way to get your radio 12V power, follow the instructions for the firmware tool, and 2 minutes later you will have an unlocked, unprogrammed radio.

Now install the software and you can program your radio. If you get this far, I can send you a program file with all the popular frequencies, and in another 30 seconds you'll be done.

Or you can program the radio yourself like this:
Select Channel in RED
Type your frequency in GREEN, click or hit enter and the rest of the fields will populate
Type your frequency name in BLUE

View attachment 1052006

And ultimately you end with a fully configured radio like this

View attachment 1052007
View attachment 1052008

*You are only legal to transmit if you are licensed*
Hey dm me how much would u charge me to do this to mine

Rucardocdd

Reaction score
First post? Troll account. Good try LOF
My first radio rugged radio got wet and they couldn’t fix it then got this one and gmr25
But none of my friends have gmrs trying to sale it but no bites if I can reprogram it I’ll keep it and it water resistant

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My first radio rugged radio got wet and they couldn’t fix it then got this one and gmr25
But none of my friends have gmrs trying to sale it but no bites if I can reprogram it I’ll keep it and it water resistant
Yes you can program that one

cmfled

Reaction score
The FCC has cracked down on the "programmed" mobile radio deal. And if you need a new radio you end up having to pay for extra software and program yourself, or pay some third party for the programming. The 60+watt radios are more powerful radios but are also hundreds of dollars. If you just want to talk with your people out in the dirt over a few miles of distance, and save a few bucks, this 25 watt radio might be for you.

I can't take full credit for this one as I read about bits and pieces of it so I bought another product and experimented with a similar method, and luckily it worked. So I'm just passing it along but what you end up with is a fully functional off road radio that is intercom ready, waterproof, and no programing software to buy. Rugged makes all kinds of mounts for this radio, so you can put it in almost anything easily.

If you want a radio you can use WITH and intercom this is for you. If you don't need the intercom you can buy these on Amazon without the intercom dongle.

What we are doing is taking a Rugged Radios 25Watt waterproof GMRS mobile radio (Part # GMR25) locked down to 16 GMRS channels only, and flashing it with different firmware to completely unlock it to transmit and listen on a wider frequency spectrum.

It is on sale now for $157. You will need some sort of antenna and antenna cable as well. Don't buy the GMRS antenna from Rugged, because we aren't transmitting on just GMRS anymore.

Buy this $11 cable to program your radio

Go to the TYT support website and download 2 things -

Your computer will likely freak out and tell you that you are going to die if you install the firmware and software. go ahead and tell it you want to proceed anyway.

Install the firmware open the included firmware file in the firmware tool, rig up some way to get your radio 12V power, follow the instructions for the firmware tool, and 2 minutes later you will have an unlocked, unprogrammed radio.

Now install the software and you can program your radio. If you get this far, I can send you a program file with all the popular frequencies, and in another 30 seconds you'll be done.

Or you can program the radio yourself like this:
Select Channel in RED
Type your frequency in GREEN, click or hit enter and the rest of the fields will populate
Type your frequency name in BLUE

View attachment 1052006

And ultimately you end with a fully configured radio like this

View attachment 1052007
View attachment 1052008

*You are only legal to transmit if you are licensed*
Any chance you can send me the file you mentioned? Just bought this radio not realizing it doesn’t transmit to m1 radios which is what all my friends are using. Going to give this a try.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Is this still the inexpensive intercom/radio solution?
Looking to setup 3-4 different cars.

@LargeOrangeFont you mentioned a parts list way back when this thread started, do you have this list still?

bad05ford

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to tell me what radio the rugged m1 is and if it could be programmed to operate on gmrs also v2 handheld they said you have to buy the cable and software through rts. Do they have it locked or is there another way?

Nordie

Reaction score
I'm guessing you got here from a Google search?

bad05ford

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the M1 and the handheld for a backup/spotter radio then found out they're rebranded. Now I'm trying to figure out what's needed to program both without their "official " cable's and software.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the M1 and the handheld for a backup/spotter radio then found out they're rebranded. Now I'm trying to figure out what's needed to program both without their "official " cable's and software.
Where did you buy the radios from? Rugged?

Nordie

Reaction score
I have no idea what rugged is using now, but I believe TYT was making them for a while, and the handheld is Baofeng.

Someone will come along soon and know better though. They are definitely chinesium rebranded radios though.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have no idea what guts are in the M1.

At least RT Systems is an option.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

doitalldad

Reaction score
I just want to say Thank You to LargeOrangeFont and everyone else on this thread for sharing this hack. Got me a whole intercom and radio setup for my Canam X3 max for all 4 seats for $692+tax! I was able to keep all the GMRS channels plus I added most of the race channels that Rugged and PCI sets up. Only thing that the intercom doesn't have is a separate Vox adjuster and if you play music via the intercom the music doesn't adjust down but you can still hear the other person speak. This doesn't bug me at all (so far. lol) If you really want that feature were the music volume goes down when you speak RR has a deal for the 696 with 2 headsets for $600 with 15% discount on special sale days on their eBay store. But for now this is what I got
1.) RR GMR25 Radio $122.
2.) Programming Cable $9.
3.) Antenna $20.
4.) 364 intercom with 2 helmet kits for $350.
5.) Extra cable and 2 more helmet kits for $133.40.
6.) Canam X3 dash kit $68. (no side panels)

Last edited: