WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More dumb CA crap... I have to smuggle in a garage door opener.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Well my garage door opener took a dump today. CA says I must get one with a battery back up, and as such the Chamberlain jack shaft opener I like is not available for sale in this weather gifted state.

I will have to order the opener for delivery to the Lowe’s in Havasu and smuggle it back across the border.

Icky

Reaction score
Well my garage door opener took a dump today. CA says I must get one with a battery back up, and as such the Chamberlain jack shaft opener I like is not available for sale in this weather gifted state.

I will have to order the opener for delivery to the Lowe’s in Havasu and smuggle it back across the border.
Liftmaster has the same one with the battery back up(same company)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Did you try finding it under the Liftmaster name?

FishSniper

Reaction score

I had a similar issue when I went to replace my old spring loaded Manual open wood door with the newer roll up door. The garage door guy did not want to install a manual door with no opener even thought that’s what he was replacing after some back and forth he ended up replacing it. The crap CA worries about is absurd.

Turnup

Reaction score
At least you can go out and buy a new door, the half dozen or so people that died in their garages without power during our major fires can't anymore 🤭

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Why would CA require battery backup on a garage door opener unless they are expecting more power ouatages? Escape can't be the reason. Maybe due to CA's quest for phasing out perap all vehicles?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Why would CA require battery backup on a garage door opener unless they are expecting more power ouatages? Escape can't be the reason. Maybe due to CA's quest for phasing out perap all vehicles?
Fires

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Did you try finding it under the Liftmaster name?

The Chamberlain is cheaper and comes with the WiFi compatability standard. The Liftmaster with battery backup is about $300 more.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
At least you can go out and buy a new door, the half dozen or so people that died in their garages without power during our major fires can't anymore 🤭

I have 2 cars outside the garage, am capable of lifting the garage, and I have a generator and a extension cord...I’ll live.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Fires

Ok, I can see having an alternate opening mechanism, appropriate for the door type construction. But I don't believe for a second that a battery operated door would help at all in the example cited. Seems that a spring or counter balance system would be far safer for anyone, including someone who is as disabled as the person in the story. Would need to know more about the housing structure (garage on ground floor?).

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know what ya'll have for garage doors now in Cali, or what cars locked in them. If I'm going to die because my garage door doesn't open, I'm going to put it in gear and go Rockford on it...no emergency release, not worry about scratching the paint...but that's just me.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I don't know what ya'll have for garage doors now in Cali, or what cars locked in them. If I'm going to die because my garage door doesn't open, I'm going to put it in gear and go Rockford on it...no emergency release, not worry about scratching the paint...but that's just me.
What if your car is outside...lol 😁

NHRAFAN

Reaction score
Tried to purchase a new door just a month ago and the company said they wouldn't install it without selling me a new opener with backup!

77charger

Reaction score
sold house last month and the PIA buyers inspector told them my garage door opener was not ca compliant told them hell no im not changing it.

RodnJen

Reaction score

Yes, but you have a shit-ton of equity.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
At that point I'd just sell the house and move out of state to a house with a normal garage door. Keep it simple.

lebel409

Reaction score
Same deal with water heaters...All the states have low emission water heaters, but california has to have "ultra low". I'm gonna smuggle my next one in from a free state.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have a number of the LiftMaster chamberlain units in my rentals and my personal house in Las Vegas. they’re fabulous and the Wi-Fi hooks up so you can control the garage door opener from anywhere.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

Careful, cops have been trained to spot people like this and Newsom has created a special task force specifically for non battery back-up garage door openers being smuggled across the border.

Its the Opener Interdiction Nabbing Krew (OINK).

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
My garage door opener crapped out yesterday as well. I had seen a bend in the track for a while and except for making sure the bolts were tight, kinda ignored it. We have had our current San Clemente house for almost 30 years and the Genie that just broke (the screw snapped) was probably close to 20 years old. Got our money's worth. Will definitely get the Wifi one. Looking at Home Depot's website and WTF. I don't need another battery to maintain.

We have Genie's at the Havasu house that is tied into our Alarm.com app and it is awesome.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My garage door opener crapped out yesterday as well. I had seen a bend in the track for a while and except for making sure the bolts were tight, kinda ignored it. We have had our current San Clemente house for almost 30 years and the Genie that just broke (the screw snapped) was probably close to 20 years old. Got our money's worth. Will definitely get the Wifi one. Looking at Home Depot's website and WTF. I don't need another battery to maintain.

We have Genie's at the Havasu house that is tied into our Alarm.com app and it is awesome.

Yea. I saw the same thing on both HD and Lowe's websites. I am going to measure this morning and make sure I can install the jackshaft style opener where I want it. I have an older garage door opener in Havasu but retrofitted it with a wifi opener/monitor. That was a really slick upgrade.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Same deal with water heaters...All the states have low emission water heaters, but california has to have "ultra low". I'm gonna smuggle my next one in from a free state.

Yeah...fuck the new CA water heaters. I had to replace one a couple years ago with a "low nox" unit. Low nox means cooler flame...yellow flame. Fucking thing carboned up the burner about every 2 months for the first 6 months.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yea. I saw the same thing on both HD and Lowe's websites. I am going to measure this morning and make sure I can install the jackshaft style opener where I want it. I have an older garage door opener in Havasu but retrofitted it with a wifi opener/monitor. That was a really slick upgrade.

Call a couple garage door companies and see if they'll sell/give you a used one they're pulling out of someplace. That's how I got parts for my Holmes hinges...since they don't sell anything but the whole kit.

enemy

Reaction score
Never mind that California building code requires all garages to have additional door access. You know like in case the power is out and you are not physically capable of opening the garage door manually. Naw f it lets force people to spend more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Damn, so what you all are saying is, I need to up my smuggler game...ammo, fireworks, diesel delete kits...and now door openers and water heaters? Who'da thunk?

530F9DEC-7531-4EB9-B700-52C44DF52EDC.jpeg

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Yea, they were not strong enough to lift the garage. Like anyone is going to change that battery when it dies anyway.

The confusing thing here is the Member that knows everything and always has the answer to any issue, no matter if it is correct or not = Can'r solve this little insignificant deal.

Suck it up = you don't know what to do. Call a Garage Door Company. Cheap Ass.

:)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The confusing thing here is the Member that knows everything and always has the answer to any issue, no matter if it is correct or not = Can'r solve this little insignificant deal.

What’s with all the = in your posts?

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
What?? Pull the manual cord and POOF the doors unlocked ready to open. Sorry this might be considered “insensitive“ to some peeps but, YOU CANT FIX STUPID.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Says the member that can't spell, type, or construct a coherent sentence... = EVAR.

HitIt

Reaction score
You are totally going to get sued if someone is robbing your house during a power outage and the house catches on fire trapping them in the garage and they burn to death because they couldn't find the release on your new fancy garage door opener.