WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

more questions from newbie

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
2006 27 Daytona bone stock 496 HO........Another member suggested I remove the exhaust turbulators and I'm going to do that. My boat has rubber flappers on the outside of the boat where the exhaust tips enter the water, which I will leave on of course. The internal exhaust shutters make all kinds of noise at idle, is this normal? I'm assuming that if one of the shutters wasn't opening all the way it would affect performance correct? From what I've read water reversion isn't an issue with the 496 HO because of the fairly mild cam and my exhaust tips are below the swim steps. I'm assuming my boat also has resonators in the exhaust system also. So I have a few questions:

-Would it help flow at all to remove the exhaust shutters?
-Would it hurt at all to remove the exhaust shutters?
- Would it help or hurt to remove the resonators and where are they in the system?

Thanks

micro525

Reaction score
2006 27 Daytona bone stock 496 HO........Another member suggested I remove the exhaust turbulators and I'm going to do that. My boat has rubber flappers on the outside of the boat where the exhaust tips enter the water, which I will leave on of course. The internal exhaust shutters make all kinds of noise at idle, is this normal? I'm assuming that if one of the shutters wasn't opening all the way it would affect performance correct? From what I've read water reversion isn't an issue with the 496 HO because of the fairly mild cam and my exhaust tips are below the swim steps. I'm assuming my boat also has resonators in the exhaust system also. So I have a few questions:

-Would it help flow at all to remove the exhaust shutters?
-Would it hurt at all to remove the exhaust shutters?
- Would it help or hurt to remove the resonators and where are they in the system?

Thanks
I had the same issues with the internal exhaust shutters on my 236. They did make all kinds of noise at idle and I think one of them would stick or stay shut at cruising speeds. I removed them and left the external rubber flappers on of course. I was advised, and I do believe removing the internal exhaust shutters is OK as long as you have the external rubber flappers on. If your cam duration is safe, you shouldn't have water reversion issues (if you have a stock cam I think your good to go). Ive been running the same set up for almost two full seasons and haven't come across any issues. Running a roller cam that came out of HP500 in a 454 (stock cam). As far as performance goes after removing the internal shutters, you may see slight increase in flow but im not sure your going to notice any major differences.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I checked them to make sure they were opening and they were so I’m just leaving them in. I don’t mind the noise as long as I know they are working.