WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More work pics - a positive note

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit. I can put you in touch with the statics and engineering department if you like. ;)

Dude, That would be Way over my head. Those guys are probably MIT graduates. I'd have no clue what language they even speak!

But...

I'd love to sit in on the tech training schools. The ones where they teach the guys how to diagnose and fix this stuff?

I've been attending manufacturer training , in the automotive industry, my entire life.

Would be awesome to learn something new. This shit is mega bad azz.

:bowdown:

HBCraig

Reaction score
550 ton in Salt Lake City
About 300' of boom and 100' of jib
image_e568f265-effc-48d4-88b8-07d97e7280d420211121_085947.jpg

HBCraig

Reaction score
Here's a 3 story baller pad in Crystal Cove I was working at last month with a 265ton. The big beams weighing in at 16k were the biggest I've set in a house!
You work for Hill? Is that an LTM 1220?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Yeah they got alot going on down there like a 6 car garage with a car elevator!
They've got a lot of those up the way in Cameo Shores. It's on a hill and the houses lie between two streets, so they do a single story and dig down. Guests enter up top on the main floor and cars go a street down and enter through the basement. Pretty cool you get to work on those.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Right on . . . he was my friends father in law . . . till he went through a divorce.
Met him a few times, super nice guy.
Heard his retirement party was rad.

rickym20

Reaction score
Drive by this site twice a day, still haven’t seen this big boy move.

Currently you can see almost what looks like two separate sections of steel going up(better view from 74) . This crane will lift steel trusses that will bridge those two sections.
Someone told me it took 6 weeks to assemble that crane but I wasn’t there to see it go together. It’s one of those sites where not supposed to post pictures or I would put better pictures up. Cool project to be apart of.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Here's a 3 story baller pad in Crystal Cove I was working at last month with a 265ton. The big beams weighing in at 16k were the biggest I've set in a house!
Was that up in Newport Coast maybe? I was on a bike ride and looked up from Crystal Cove area to see a build like that going on way up the hill. A massive footprint like your pics.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Just curious... How does one become a crane operator? Or heavy equipment operator for that matter? I would assume there comes a point in time where on the job training does not meet certain requirements and there are recognized certifications that have to come into play.

nordictom

Reaction score
Just curious... How does one become a crane operator? Or heavy equipment operator for that matter? I would assume there comes a point in time where on the job training does not meet certain requirements and there are recognized certifications that have to come into play.
find your local Internation Union of Operating Engineers union hall. in LA it is Local 12. Ask to take the apprenticeship test & go from there. Don't waste your time with the "for profit" schools, they aren't worth a crap.

Last edited:

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
OK cool Lift. So which crane has most of the load here. I assume the Crawler from the rigging and Spreader? On a lift like this, how do they keep the two cranes from fighting each other laterally? does one crane control x and Y and the other crane just floats along? thanks

HBCraig

Reaction score
OK cool Lift. So which crane has most of the load here. I assume the Crawler from the rigging and Spreader? On a lift like this, how do they keep the two cranes from fighting each other laterally? does one crane control x and Y and the other crane just floats along? thanks
Yeh, the rigging will dictate the majority of the lift. My guess tells me the crawler has the majority load. There is a Derrick and ballast tray to the left that isn't in the pic. Pro ably another 250 tons on the Derrick. The Harbour crane are meant and built to pick right on top of the ships. The crawler can do whatever they want at a given radius

HBCraig

Reaction score
The biggest crawler we make. 3,300 ton capacity. This here is number 5. Heading to the states. For reference, each track weight about 212 tons, about the size of an M1 Abrams tank for you military boys.
It's the big one lifting all the others
image_d4e9d3db-f30a-4dbd-8ce3-e7f6ecc8ebe720211130_193639.jpg
zJw5OJ9aWq8MHh4t5y3P6Z0CAXmY6CTT-XxjRZfRrkU.jpg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Shitty pic, but the beast was finally in action on the AZ computer chip project. Still amazed at the scale of this project and the number of booms in the air. Appears to be around 50 light plants on site too. I enjoy watching this take shape.

BECFCEA9-F528-4994-A969-892C3F6FAA09.jpeg

HBCraig

Reaction score
Shitty pic, but the beast was finally in action on the AZ computer chip project. Still amazed at the scale of this project and the number of booms in the air. Appears to be around 50 light plants on site too. I enjoy watching this take shape.

View attachment 1073110
Wait til the big iron shows up on the Intel job. It's gonna be awesome. Our biggest crawler we make and the first in the states.
If you zoom in look near the cab, there is a colleague of mine standing there. Just to give you some scale.

imagejpeg_0(49).jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Wait til the big iron shows up on the Intel job. It's gonna be awesome. Our biggest crawler we make and the first in the states.
If you zoom in look near the cab, there is a colleague of mine standing there. Just to give you some scale.

View attachment 1073192

Damn, and here I thought chips were getting smaller :eek: ;)
I don't know which Chip plant was posted above, Intel or TSMC, but I'm floored over the shear number of cranes on that site.
Now I'm in awe looking at this one and wondering WTF is so damned heavy it requires a crane of this size ? Do the structural designs dictate it, or is this a value engineered solution ?

HBCraig

Reaction score
Damn, and here I thought chips were getting smaller :eek: ;)
I don't know which Chip plant was posted above, Intel or TSMC, but I'm floored over the shear number of cranes on that site.
Now I'm in awe looking at this one and wondering WTF is so damned heavy it requires a crane of this size ? Do the structural designs dictate it, or is this a value engineered solution ?
For the Taiwan job, they have some steel structures for cooling that weigh in at 275K lbs at 250' . That will take every bit of a 3000 ton crawler

Taboma

Reaction score
For the Taiwan job, they have some steel structures for cooling that weigh in at 275K lbs at 250' . That will take every bit of a 3000 ton crawler

Interesting, I'm guessing with no 3000 Ton Crawler, it would require multiple cranes for the lift ? What I'm curious about is like which came first "Chicken or Egg". Are they designing around the availability of a 3000 Ton Crane ? Or did some product engineer decide if they built a 3000 ton crane, there'd be a market for it ? I can't imagine you'd want one just sitting and not earning it's keep.

If you sell one, do you get the rest of the year off ? 😅

I recall the skyline of Frankfurt Germany in 1972 was filled with tower cranes, I'd never seen one until I arrived there.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm guessing with no 3000 Ton Crawler, it would require multiple cranes for the lift ? What I'm curious about is like which came first "Chicken or Egg". Are they designing around the availability of a 3000 Ton Crane ? Or did some product engineer decide if they built a 3000 ton crane, there'd be a market for it ? I can't imagine you'd want one just sitting and not earning it's keep.

If you sell one, do you get the rest of the year off ? 😅

I recall the skyline of Frankfurt Germany in 1972 was filled with tower cranes, I'd never seen one until I arrived there.
Hahaha. I wish. I recently quoted one. Ballpark, 41M or so

And yes, these builders know the cranes that can make the picks. Tilt panel work is exactly like that. The precast guys ask the crane service companies how big they can go. New Amazon Tilt panels are 525K lbs and 93' tall. Takes an 850 crawler to male the pick

Taboma

Reaction score
Hahaha. I wish. I recently quoted one. Ballpark, 41M or so

And yes, these builders know the cranes that can make the picks. Tilt panel work is exactly like that. The precast guys ask the crane service companies how big they can go. New Amazon Tilt panels are 525K lbs and 93' tall. Takes an 850 crawler to male the pick
Come along way since the tilt-ups I was working on in the late 60's, 93' Tall DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one hell of an investment for a company to make, wow. :oops: