WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Morel Lifter Failure?

StraubTech

Reaction score
Can you explain Chris? what would you do differently with these heads?

and what do you mean by "Venting the heads"
Early AFR castings did not have any additional holes to vent the heads to lifter valley. We made AFR aware of this and they now drill holes in the center of the heads to vent the valve cover area to the lifter valley. If not done this can lead to oiling issues.

Sorry I didn't see this.

StraubTech

Reaction score
I’ve spoken to 3 different “notable” engine builders about it, and 2 just smiled and said “we don’t sell Morels anymore”. The 3rd said he had never seen Morels do that, but he had never seen a set with that many hours on them either.

Morel functions like an OEM, they have a limited dealer network. We don't call GM and order a new HD2500. Because of this, some engine builder ego's get crushed and they bad mouth Morel. I have been told point blank by a well known builder...won't use them because they won't sell me direct. Also some have been on the Morel deal especially after Crane had issues. These peeps jumped ship to use another product because of price and in the end had issues with the new "brand". Since they had done, when they came back to Morel they were told not interested and were not sold the product.

So there are always 2 sides to the story and in the middle is the truth. I can tell you that Morel has had Hendrick Motorsports business since 2005. To keep a customer that can buy or make anything they want is a feat in itself. Myself, I can look at the data based on sales each year and what has been returned for warranty and my return rate is under 1% for hydraulic roller lifters. Sales are in the thousand of sets.

Lifter wheel size....the reason we increase lifter diameter is so we can use larger wheels. This reduces the pressure angle and gives the engine stability. The reason some use .700" wheel is cost. GM and Chrysler use millions of .700" wheel assemblies for OEM engines. These can be bought very cheap. The main added cost for lifter mfg is the wheel assembly. The cost for .750, .810, and .850" wheel assemblies drives the cost up substantially...10X as much as the .700" wheel. Keep in mind the .700" wheel stuff is designed for thoroughly tested OEM production valvetrains with 10s of millions of R&D. Further more the OEM design is a swedge axle design. Any high end lifter has a live axle and is wire loc retained....they don't use pressed in axles. In a valve float situation a swedged axle can loosen and walk out of a lifter body....it is damn near impossible for a live axle with wire loc to do this....but hey anything can happen.

So I would tell anyone....do your research.....use Google Earth to see if who your dealing with and ask questions on both sides. Take the data and make your decision.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Does it run yet??

Yep [emoji16]
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Yep [emoji16]
View attachment 884690

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good results, especially for a family oriented Vee bottom. As predicted the cam is a bit small. Single plane intake 516 flattening from 5400-5600 is giving up probably 40 HP with a slightly larger cam duration wise that would peak 5800-6000 since you have the valvetrain to accomplish that. Do you care for a 28 eagle? probably not. This will pull bitchin from 3000-5000

You fuel distribution goes to hell over 4200... A whole point off bank to bank. Was this dynoed with the boat headers or dry dyno headers?

JT

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Good results, especially for a family oriented Vee bottom. As predicted the cam is a bit small. Single plane intake 516 flattening from 5400-5600 is giving up probably 40 HP with a slightly larger cam duration wise that would peak 5800-6000 since you have the valvetrain to accomplish that. Do you care for a 28 eagle? probably not. This will pull bitchin from 3000-5000

You fuel distribution goes to hell over 4200... A whole point off bank to bank. Was this dynoed with the boat headers or dry dyno headers?

JT

The heads are only 305cc, and the carb is only a 950 QF on a 555ci deal. We new it was gonna run out of port and carb before it got to 6k, so we sized the cam accordingly (242/650 - 247/637). More runner volume and a real carburetor, and I agree... it would have made more, but it will never turn 6k. I think its a good fit for the boat, and actually made more than I expected. I'm really happy with the TQ numbers!!

The fuel distribution is a result of the DART single plane. Merc originally stagger jetted the carbs to fix it, and it worked pretty well. I've since jetted the STBD side up 3 sizes in both the primaries and secondaries, which was the % I had it at before with the old engine, and it was good. Fingers crossed!! It was dynoed with dry dyno headers.

Dave

Teague_JR

Reaction score
The heads are only 305cc, and the carb is only a 950 QF on a 555ci deal. We new it was gonna run out of port and carb before it got to 6k, so we sized the cam accordingly (242/650 - 247/637). More runner volume and a real carburetor, and I agree... it would have made more, but it will never turn 6k. I think its a good fit for the boat, and actually made more than I expected. I'm really happy with the TQ numbers!!

The fuel distribution is a result of the DART single plane. Merc originally stagger jetted the carbs to fix it, and it worked pretty well. I've since jetted the STBD side up 3 sizes in both the primaries and secondaries, which was the % I had it at before with the old engine, and it was good. Fingers crossed!! It was dynoed with dry dyno headers.

Dave

Well I was unaware of the Cubic inches and new Cam selection... and you are absolutely right about the heads, intake and carb. Good results!

bocco

Reaction score
So all of this lifter talk got me browsing through Summit Racing. My motor is a gen 6 500HP. Looks like both tie bar style and lifter guide style are available. Any opinions on what is preffered?

28Eliminator

Reaction score
So all of this lifter talk got me browsing through Summit Racing. My motor is a gen 6 500HP. Looks like both tie bar style and lifter guide style are available. Any opinions on what is preffered?

I believe the "Guide" style in the gen VI block limits the amount of lift you can have. The tie-bar/retrofit style (Like Busti posted) allow for bigger cam profiles. I put the Johnsens in mine, the 2126BBR's. They have an axle oiling provision that supposedly helps with higher spring pressures.

H8Plow

Reaction score
When you say you have 200# seat pressure is that confirm as the heads are now, or when it was new? Take a picture of the tip of the valve. Does it have a star pattern? Check pushrods for marks on them in the area of the pushrod that goes through the heads.
Rather than seat pressure, I would be more interested in knowing the nose pressure.