WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

motorhome inquiry/advice

69hondo

Reaction score
Ok guys I know I have brought this up before but I feel I am at a crossroads here.

My 2000 Itasca 33V just lost the engine. Good old Vortec 454.

Couple questions.
1. Would you fix it and then sell it or would you cut your losses and try to sell it broken?
2. We have to get something else. I really want a diesel pusher but my hobbies and kids getting ready to enter college wont allow me to afford anything over like 60- 80k
3. Do I get an older 2000-20007 diesel pusher or do I get a newer v10 gasser?
4. Do you think it is worth waiting to see if the prices come down at all?

My enclosed trailer with 5 bikes, the buggy, fuel and gear runs right around 10k LBS. Boat comes in around 7k LBS.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Ok guys I know I have brought this up before but I feel I am at a crossroads here.

My 2000 Itasca 33V just lost the engine. Good old Vortec 454.

Couple questions.
1. Would you fix it and then sell it or would you cut your losses and try to sell it broken?
2. We have to get something else. I really want a diesel pusher but my hobbies and kids getting ready to enter college wont allow me to afford anything over like 60- 80k
3. Do I get an older 2000-20007 diesel pusher or do I get a newer v10 gasser?
4. Do you think it is worth waiting to see if the prices come down at all?

My enclosed trailer with 5 bikes, the buggy, fuel and gear runs right around 10k LBS. Boat comes in around 7k LBS.
How much can you get for it broken Vs. fixed? gotta figure out the spread between those two options to see if it's significant enough to spend your time fixing it.

I'd go diesel all the way.... you just get so much more with them. I had nothing against my old V10 gasser... it actually pulled hills better than my first diesel.... but I absolutely HATED the way it drove. Floor plan was just fine with one slide etc.... the only reason I made the jump was because of the way it handled / drove.... in any decent wind... it felt like we were gonna die lol.

given the current market... this seems like a good deal right now. Smaller chassis, etc... but pretty nice rig.

69hondo

Reaction score
How much can you get for it broken Vs. fixed? gotta figure out the spread between those two options to see if it's significant enough to spend your time fixing it.

I'd go diesel all the way.... you just get so much more with them. I had nothing against my old V10 gasser... it actually pulled hills better than my first diesel.... but I absolutely HATED the way it drove. Floor plan was just fine with one slide etc.... the only reason I made the jump was because of the way it handled / drove.... in any decent wind... it felt like we were gonna die lol.

given the current market... this seems like a good deal right now. Smaller chassis, etc... but pretty nice rig.

Yeah I have to get an idea of what its going to cost to fix. I think in todays market I could get 20k for it running. I dont know what the market for it would be not running. I cant see it being much🤷‍♂️

As for the RV in the wind. Man it does suck in the gasser. I was talking to my buddy about that and he was like my diesel doesnt move at all and I thought he was crazy. Another thing that sucks and maybe its just the gasser as well is when a diesel rig passes me it pushes me away and then as he passes it sucks me in. Does that happen with the pusher?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Appears no driver's door?
Short lock thru the rv door and assemble heads in the coach?
Unless, of course the core support is removable.
What exactly happened to the motor? Head gaskets? Rods left the building? Other?
Looks like $2740 for a reman.
Good luck.

Dan'l

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Yeah I have to get an idea of what its going to cost to fix. I think in todays market I could get 20k for it running. I dont know what the market for it would be not running. I cant see it being much🤷‍♂️

As for the RV in the wind. Man it does suck in the gasser. I was talking to my buddy about that and he was like my diesel doesnt move at all and I thought he was crazy. Another thing that sucks and maybe its just the gasser as well is when a diesel rig passes me it pushes me away and then as he passes it sucks me in. Does that happen with the pusher?

So I went from a 2004 class A gasser V10, to a 2007 fleetwood discovery w. the CAT 330 / freightliner chassis.

the gasser would always get pushed around by rigs etc, some high wind situations I actually slowed down to 35-40MPH to not feel like I was gonna wreck the thing (we're going to the dunes.... 75% of the time it is windy). With the Discovery... I never felt pushed or moved around by the Semi's at all.... in extreme wind, I still felt comfortable @ 60MPH.... moderate or no wind, 75MPH no prob one hand on the wheel. That rig was great... only downside was when I went with a heavy stacker, it felt like a boat anchor back there (grades sucked).

now in a spartan chassis, 450 cummins tag axle.... and WOW what another great improvement. Almost seems like the bigger and heavier you go... the easier they are to drive. This one is 70MPH w/ one hand on the wheel, towing the stacker through heavy wind... no problem, rides even smoother etc.

69hondo

Reaction score
Appears no driver's door?
Short lock thru the rv door and assemble heads in the coach?
Unless, of course the core support is removable.
What exactly happened to the motor? Head gaskets? Rods left the building? Other?
Looks like $2740 for a reman.
Good luck.

Dan'l
no drivers door.
Something is knocking inside. took all accessory off so it was just the engine spinning. Dont think its a bearing. Maybe something in valve train.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Agree with EmpireE231...

I would go pusher and not look back.

As much of a PIA it is, I would try and fix and get top dollar in todays market. Or have you looked into possibly donating and getting the tax write off?

69hondo

Reaction score
Agree with EmpireE231...

I would go pusher and not look back.

As much of a PIA it is, I would try and fix and get top dollar in todays market. Or have you looked into possibly donating and getting the tax write off?
Never thought of the Tax thing. I dont know how that works at all.

01erionracing

Reaction score
I used to have 01 class C gasser and got pushed when the semi passed but now with 40' pusher (H/R Navigator 450HP, Roadmaster chassis, non tag) never have any issue when passed the semi or being passed by the semi.

69hondo

Reaction score
Motorhome is fixed and will be selling. Will be looking for a Pusher soon and hopefully find the right one before offroad season.

69hondo

Reaction score
First time she has moved since it broke on glamis presidents weekend. All back together and purring like a kitten. Got to fix a few typical rv things, get her detailed and then up for sale.
20220513_164003.jpg