WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Motorhomes Diesel Pusher

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Curious about anyone with some Diesel pusher experience. Looking at a 1998 with 57K miles. Cat with a Allison. Unit is super clean inside. Outside has some fading from the sun. More concerned about that vintage Cat? Seams to run great. Looking to try this and see how we like it before jumping into something more exspensive.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Curious about anyone with some Diesel pusher experience. Looking at a 1998 with 57K miles. Cat with a Allison. Unit is super clean inside. Outside has some fading from the sun. More concerned about that vintage Cat? Seams to run great. Looking to try this and see how we like it before jumping into something more exspensive.

I have a 1998 motorhome with a cat 3126B and allison 6 speed and its been great - only 40K though, the boys in peoria know how to build a diesel.

I wouldnt worry about it, but I would have it checked out.

kiethco

Reaction score
I've had 4 rv's over the past 20 years. My current unit is a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor pusher. I bought it with 52,000 miles 6 years ago. Cummins 5.9 with an Allison. The one owner had extensive service records and I told him I was essentially buying the books. I'll never go back to a gasser. Diesels have a different build schedule and they're just amazing. Go to IRV2.com and check the forums. Lots of info on these powerplants.

beerrun

Reaction score
Might not be able to register that in California due to not being CARB compliant

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Might not be able to register that in California due to not being CARB compliant

I don't believe you'd have issue. I didn't with my 2000 when I registered it in 2016. Did the rules change? I think it's 07+ that were required to have emissions controls. My boss has been stranded twice in Idaho by the emissions system on his 2007 cat powered Country Coach.

dspracing

Reaction score
I don't believe you'd have issue. I didn't with my 2000 when I registered it in 2016. Did the rules change? I think it's 07+ that were required to have emissions controls. My boss has been stranded twice in Idaho by the emissions system on his 2007 cat powered Country Coach.

I want to say that RVs are exempt and that it only applies to commercial trucks. I saw a guy with a sport chassis that had successfully register as an RV to circumvent the CARB compliance issue.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...depends on which Cat.
3116 isn't bad, just a bit more costly when they need work. Power wise, it's comparable to the Cummins.
Other Cats a bit cheaper/easier to work on, but all of them pretty bulletproof by normal standards.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
I'm in Up-State NY. No problem with emissions here. I was just curious. This will just be a couple weeks a year if I'm lucky. I was an owner operator for 27 years. So the Cat doesn't worry me but the rest of it I'm not that sure about. Levelers wouldn't work today but I had it running. I figured out it has to be off and on Accessory to function. So alot to learn. Fridge also has some issues. Going to make an offer and see what she says.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
...depends on which Cat.
3116 isn't bad, just a bit more costly when they need work. Power wise, it's comparable to the Cummins.
Other Cats a bit cheaper/easier to work on, but all of them pretty bulletproof by normal standards.
Are these all non turbo? I guess I would need the numbers from the valve cover to know for sure what it is.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Are these all non turbo? I guess I would need the numbers from the valve cover to know for sure what it is.
The designation/number stuff will usually be on both the valve cover, and the rear cowling by the fills and dipsticks. If they have the chassis manual, it'll be on the front pages.
If you're north east, look at what you can undercarriage wise. The generator area will give you an idea of what corrosion issues it may have. Exhaust for coach and genny may get rusted out. If it's been sitting for a bit, probably need a drier element for the air brakes...pretty cheap, and usually overlooked.

dribble

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be CARB compliant to register in CA. Has to be EPA compliant. Also because of it's weight, it doesn't need to be smog tested.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I had a 2000 38’ Newmar with a 300hp cat and an Allison transmission. Bought it in Washington State and registered it in California. No smog and AAA handled the DMV transfer and registration.

They did have to see it so I drove it to the Palmdale AAA since they had parking (in a large strip center) to accommodate it.

Other than tires, batteries and regular maintenance, I never had a problem with it.

rush1

Reaction score
Probably a 3126 great engines with no smog in 98 ,the only cats that have issues are the electronic smog engines, run like hell from those.California registration won't be an issue.