WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

Cdog

Reaction score
My old school Trek got ripped off last New Years at Silver strand when we were camping. Looking to spend $1500-2k on a Santa Cruz mountain bike for this fall. I've done some prelim shopping. Looks like I need a L frame. Any recommendations?

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Never raced professionally as in getting a paycheck but was on a few teams and one pretty well known amateur team that gave full support. Like getting bikes, gear, nutrition, travel etc all paid for. I'm still a cat 1. Quit racing as a master in 2016. Now just for fun. I may try some hill climbs and and maybe get back in time trialing or somthing down the road but it really takes a lot of work and discipline to be fast. I like happy hours and travel and fun stuff too much! Haha. I've always been a little bummed I never won a national championship. That was aleays a huge goal for me to earn stars and bars. I have won multiple Ca/Nv state championships and won the Pro 1-2 California team time trial state championship my last year racing or so.

Did a quick 30miles and about 2000 feet in climbing this morning before work. It was beautiful and the desert is so green from all the rain.

Trying to stay 50 and fit!!! I look at so many of my friends that are my age and even much younger and they look terrible. It's more work to stay fit as you get older for sure but worth it not to have a stroke or heart attack.

I'm not good at much but I could sure ride a bike.haha.
It requires so much dedication, devotion and a principled, disciplined diet. 20 hours a week is the threshold of professional training. That may not seem like that much until you try it. I've read guys that aren't serious riders claim, 200-300 miles a week. That is a very serious week, even for a pro in training and is not sustainable for anyone BUT a supported pro.

It almost requires shutting out everything else in your life, including relationships. 20 hours on a bike means there is a like amount of all other related and required activities to support that. The proper food required for fuel means lots of prep-time. Sleep is a gigantic part of training properly. Just today, I rode only about 90 minutes. that required putting a front tube in, making oatmeal, coffee, hydration. Chain maintenance night before. Bibs clean, jersey loaded with food and ready. 20 hours means a tremendous amount of bike maintenance as well.

In my training for the Tour Divide last year was 12-14 hours, and that nearly killed me. Try that and a full time job.

I think Golf and Cycling are very much the same, you get out of it, exactly what you put into it.

I love every second of it all.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
For a better understanding of what training like a pro is like. VC did a youtube series on it. He did over 20 hours a week. He got fired from his own company and nearly lost his super-hot wife.

01erionracing

Reaction score
Late to the party, I picked up mtb for our family so we can enjoy trail riding plus doing some exercise.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3069.jpeg
    IMG_3069.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

wayniac

Reaction score
My old school Trek got ripped off last New Years at Silver strand when we were camping. Looking to spend $1500-2k on a Santa Cruz mountain bike for this fall. I've done some prelim shopping. Looks like I need a L frame. Any recommendations?
did you end up picking up a bike? depending on the type of riding you might get more bang for your buck with the remedy or trance.

Cdog

Reaction score
did you end up picking up a bike? depending on the type of riding you might get more bang for your buck with the remedy or trance.
Not yet.. still hot out here & spent my fun money on a t56 magnum. Good to know. Thx!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Any of you guys have any input on Specialized Stumpjumpers?
Specialized is having a pretty descent sale on some of their bikes. I am heading up to Mammoth this weekend for a week and have been eyeballing the StumpJumper Comp, also lookig at the Epic EVO Comp. I just ride the local to me trails, with a random trips to Mammoth both downhill trails and maybe the bike park. Its an upgrade from what I am currently riding but I am struggling if I really need a new bike. Especially because Its been a struggle to ride lately with work being busy, summertime, and warm weather....Whats your input? I know there are better bikes, etc, but not looking for an Ebike and also not looking to spend a bunch on money on the top of the line pedal bike either.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Any of you guys have any input on Specialized Stumpjumpers?
Specialized is having a pretty descent sale on some of their bikes. I am heading up to Mammoth this weekend for a week and have been eyeballing the StumpJumper Comp, also lookig at the Epic EVO Comp. I just ride the local to me trails, with a random trips to Mammoth both downhill trails and maybe the bike park. Its an upgrade from what I am currently riding but I am struggling if I really need a new bike. Especially because Its been a struggle to ride lately with work being busy, summertime, and warm weather....Whats your input? I know there are better bikes, etc, but not looking for an Ebike and also not looking to spend a bunch on money on the top of the line pedal bike either.
Don’t forget to see what they have for sale at the rental shops up there. Might be able to get a steal on last years models. I think most of them post them up on their websites. I know the Mammoth resort does.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Picked up a new MTB bike last month and have been trying to ride as much as a I can. We spent a week up in Mammoth in late July, unfortunately for me a lot of the trails were closed because of the snow and only grabbed a few pictures. Other pix are local to me trails.

IMG_7488.jpeg
IMG_7491.jpeg
IMG_7530.jpeg
IMG_7543.jpeg
IMG_7544.jpeg
71476626626__D5F1DA15-89B8-4D79-8EA6-4C0D81AEC78B.jpeg
71476630669__D38E28B1-F46D-438C-8F71-AE34EFCFBED7.jpeg
Image-1.png

Cdog

Reaction score
Finally this thread made it back around. I picked up this Carbon Santa Cruz Bronson for $2800. I need to have the rear wheel trued & tire re set with goo. I've been doing Monday after work rides up the wash for 30 minutes to 1 hour since I got. Having fun with it.

Also need to get some new pedals that dont look like they came off a girls bike. Any recommendations?

IMG_8441.jpeg

Meaney77

Reaction score
Finally this thread made it back around. I picked up this Carbon Santa Cruz Bronson for $2800. I need to have the rear wheel trued & tire re set with goo. I've been doing Monday after work rides up the wash for 30 minutes to 1 hour since I got. Having fun with it.

Also need to get some new pedals that dont look like they came off a girls bike. Any recommendations?

View attachment 1287212
Nice ride! All of the local Bike Shops stock pedals in differnt colors. Its a matter of time before you take one to the shin!!!
Have you thought about doing clip in pedals/ shoes? I havent made the swith but everybody swears by them.

Cdog

Reaction score
Nice ride! All of the local Bike Shops stock pedals in differnt colors. Its a matter of time before you take one to the shin!!!
Have you thought about doing clip in pedals/ shoes? I havent made the swith but everybody swears by them.
Thanks ! I dig the primer color.

I'm in a lot of washes and really soft sand where I needed to bail at least once already. Clip ins might complicate having to bail off the bike quickly.. No?

Meaney77

Reaction score

I'm in a lot of washes and really soft sand where I needed to bail at least once already. Clip ins might complicate having to bail off the bike quickly.. No?
Totally agree, thats why I havent made the switch yet!!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Totally agree, thats why I havent made the switch yet!!

Both you guys need to make the transition. You don’t realize how much bike control you have with your feet/knees.

For new users, Crank Brothers, Egg Beaters are easy in, easy out. 4 sided entry.

Lots of lifting, turning and bike placement with lower body

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I have this 2022 Yeti SB115 for sale. $3,500. Retail new is $6,200. Large carbon frame with Sram components. Super clean.

Unknown-5.jpeg

I picked up this Canyon. Got a super good deal on it. I was going to upgrade my Yeti with carbon wheels, Sram e-tap group set, carbon bars etc. The Canyon came with all of that plus some other trick stuff for less than all of the upgrades would have cost me on the Yeti.
IMG_2225.jpg

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Both you guys need to make the transition. You don’t realize how much bike control you have with your feet/knees.

For new users, Crank Brothers, Egg Beaters are easy in, easy out. 4 sided entry.

100 percent. Makes a big difference.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I have this 2022 Yeti SB115 for sale. $3,500. Retail new is $6,200. Large carbon frame with Sram components. Super clean.

View attachment 1287233

I picked up this Canyon. Got a super good deal on it. I was going to upgrade my Yeti with carbon wheels, Sram e-tap group set, carbon bars etc. The Canyon came with all of that plus some other trick stuff for less than all of the upgrades would have cost me on the Yeti. View attachment 1287234
I just got a Canyon Endurace CF SLX. SRAM Red, AXS eTap. DT Swiss ERC wheelset. As you said, complete bike at less than the cost of separate components

Cdog

Reaction score

I’ll take a look

Cdog

Reaction score
I just dropped my rear rim/tire off at JRide here in n Phoenix cave creek for a rim true & sealant.

Making friends already.

Not so sure about the clip ins. Have my eye on the fox shock upgrade though

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I just dropped my rear rim/tire off at JRide here in n Phoenix cave creek for a rim true & sealant.

Making friends already.

Do yourself a favor and get clips, Its night and day.

I do remember my first tip over using clips. I wanted to ride a bike path so I can get used to clicking in and out. Was doing great till the 3 street crossing. I went to put my arm out to hold the pole and I missed it and couldn't get my foot out quick enough and over I went. Was pretty funny.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

Making friends already.

Whats the shock upgrade? that Bronson looks to have nice shocks as is.

Is the Bronson the model with the 27.5" rear and 29" front? Called a mullet.

Cdog

Reaction score
Whats the shock upgrade? that Bronson looks to have nice shocks as is.

Is the Bronson the model with the 27.5" rear and 29" front? Called a mullet.
The Bronson has a mullet option. Mine isn’t a mullet.

The fox has the lock out and match’s my upgraded forks.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Just got my order for a Fezzari Wasatch Peak yesterday. I had an old Stumpjumper and was looking for something to cruise the campgrounds with/ride with my young boys/still take out locally. Really excited to get it out in the dirt
IMG_4661.jpeg

We just got my 5 year old a Rip Rock because he outgrew his Stryder and he wanted a picture of his bike with it.
IMG_4662.jpeg

c_land

Reaction score

Making friends already.

I have a set that runs a clip on one side and a platform on the otherside so you have the option. I like it, you do have to be aware what side you’re standing on though.

I think they are called Crankbrothers Doubleshot.

Meaney77

Reaction score

Is there a descent looking and functoning shoe to use for the clip ins? Most shoes look like Peter Pan slippers!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Is there a descent looking and functoning shoe to use for the clip ins? Most shoes look like Peter Pan slippers!!
First it's clip-ins.....then it's tight jersey shirts....

Before you know it, you'll find yourself in spandex shorts riding in middle lane blocking traffic

Slippery slope!

Meaney77

Reaction score
First it's clip-ins.....then it's tight jersey shirts....

Before you know it, you'll find yourself in spandex shorts riding in middle lane blocking traffic

Slippery slope!
You forgot shaving your entire body!!
Its scary how it all starts happeing right before your eyes !!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
The Bronson has a mullet option. Mine isn’t a mullet.

The fox has the lock out and match’s my upgraded forks.
I had the mullet Bronson and did not like it. I was only doing lift assisted DH with it, perhaps single track is different. Hey if you ever end up not liking Jride, the guys at Flat Tire in downtown C Creek always treated me right.

wayniac

Reaction score
ive run shimano xtr spd pedals on all of my bikes. road gravel mt doenst matter... as my fitness has gone to shit, i recently bought an e-bike and am actually pretty happy with my saint flat pedals and 510 shoes...

Dana757

Reaction score
Just a heads up if any of you are considering moving into an E MTB. Rock and Road has Specialized Turbo Levo carbon’s with an extra 700W battery on sale for 3500 buxs. That’s a very solid deal.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
Just a heads up if any of you are considering moving into an E MTB. Rock and Road has Specialized Turbo Levo carbon’s with an extra 700W battery on sale for 3500 buxs. That’s a very solid deal.
That's stupid cheap, that cant be real, got a link?

Dunerking

Reaction score

View attachment 1287233

I picked up this Canyon. Got a super good deal on it. I was going to upgrade my Yeti with carbon wheels, Sram e-tap group set, carbon bars etc. The Canyon came with all of that plus some other trick stuff for less than all of the upgrades would have cost me on the Yeti. View attachment 1287234
Damn,if I wasn’t dealing with this Writers and Actors strike I’d be really tempted to snag your Yeti. I miss my Yeti SB6….they work really well!

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
thats Top of Chutes. I’m there a lot! Oaks is pretty chewed up for HT 😎😎
It definitely is. I was mainly out there to look for some flat trails outside Irvine park to take my 5 year old on. There’s a flat section to the east of the discovery center but they’re letter a lot of water out through the creek right now, so it’s not accessible.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
First dirt ride on my new Fezzari. It’s fun on the flat single track and climbs really well. Need to mess with the air pressure and front shock pressure. Overall I’m pretty happy. View attachment 1291932
Nice ride! I have loved all my Fezzari bikes. Its been about 4 years since i sold my last one. Now i am feeling old and might order me up one of their e bikes soon!