WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
This is as close as I've gotten to my mountain bike in about a month since it warmed up out here...

View attachment 885919

Been riding 4-5 days a week on this instead...

View attachment 885920
I’m not sure if you’re living in Havasu full-time or not, is there a lot of places right out here I’ve heard Sara Park but I never see anyone riding in the desert at least over here on the north side when I’m walking.

another question for the rest of the group, if you’re old and have bad knees, he’s riding a bike easier on your knees then walking? I would think so but I don’t know the reality.
Question number two is do they make bikes that will hold up to a 300+ pound person? I’m not looking to do anything hard-core I just need to get out and ride and do some exercise and hopefully not end up getting flown out of the desert in a helicopter again.😊
This thread sounds a little over my head but you got to start somewhere.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you’re living in Havasu full-time or not, is there a lot of places right out here I’ve heard Sara Park but I never see anyone riding in the desert at least over here on the north side when I’m walking.

another question for the rest of the group, if you’re old and have bad knees, he’s riding a bike easier on your knees then walking? I would think so but I don’t know the reality.
Question number two is do they make bikes that will hold up to a 300+ pound person? I’m not looking to do anything hard-core I just need to get out and ride and do some exercise and hopefully not end up getting flown out of the desert in a helicopter again.😊

One of the main reasons I continue to ride everyday is because I have arthritic joints and cycling is the best thong for it. Low impact, strengthens the muscles around the joints and more. Its amazing g and fun sport. Yes, there are bikes that will hold 300lbs.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I continue to ride everyday is because I have arthritic joints and cycling is the best thong for it. Low impact, strengthens the muscles around the joints and more. Its amazing g and fun sport. Yes, there are bikes that will hold 300lbs.
Thanks, not sure that I need a full on mountain bike, I have no intention of doing some of the crazy stuff I see but I think the suspension would be more forgiving, maybe I’m wrong I don’t know, I just saw this thread for the first time today.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

Yes, they make Bikes that can hold a 300+ person. 3 of my riding buddies are in that category. I’ve got the usual “old guy that used to moto” list of injury’s and find the bicycle is an awesome work out with a short reward at the end. Start out on beginner level trails and work your way up. This is my buddy Dwayne. He’s 300lbs. Stay away from road bikes, they're boring and much more dangerous due to lousy drivers. 😅
0ED1825B-256E-4CEF-8057-A87CA2E1A9BD.jpeg

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Yes, they make Bikes that can hold a 300+ person. 3 of my riding buddies are in that category. I’ve got the usual “old guy that used to moto” list of injury’s and find the bicycle is an awesome work out with a short reward at the end. Start out on beginner level trails and work your way up. This was is my buddy Dwayne. He’s 300lbs. Stay away from road bikes, they're boring and much more dangerous due to lousy drivers. 😅
View attachment 919708
Excellent. I have no desire to ride a road bike, too many drivers not paying attention on the roads these days, I worry crossing the street back from the desert especially walking my dogs.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

Im here full time. Sara Park has a fun variety of trails that you can put a lot of miles on in a small area. My riding usually is hit and miss in the summer months because I switch to riding buoys on my standup when it heats up. I try to hit the trails in Prescott as much as possible in the summer months.
At this point in life Cycling is the most enjoyable exercise I can find. Easy on the joints and gets you outside for some fun!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Bumping the thread.... You guys still riding?

Pretty much sick of all the political BS going on, TV is terrible, News is terrible etc. I have been riding but not as mush as I would like, work schedule, kids, weather and whatever excuse I can come up with. Need to buy a headlight and start riding again after work before it gets super dark.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

Pretty much sick of all the political BS going on, TV is terrible, News is terrible etc. I have been riding but not as mush as I would like, work schedule, kids, weather and whatever excuse I can come up with. Need to buy a headlight and start riding again after work before it gets super dark.

Just bought myself a hard tail a month ago and have logged a few dozen miles around my area in Menifee. I didn't get out the last two weekeds due to Glamis time, and the week days are now shot with how early the darkness comes. I don't trust my skills to ride trails in the dark, and I don't trust the general public enough to ride the roads in the dark.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Went out last Friday with my buddy who is also new to MTB. He’s been doing for about 2 months, my first time. We went to Bonelli park in San Dimas and did 6 miles. About half was on asphalt. The first half was trail and I really enjoyed that. Took a little bit to get used to the gears and timing of shifting. I’m used to standing up going up a long hill, It was tough having the rear suspension bouncing. Might have been better if we adjusted to my weight.
Definitely humbling when you are out of shape. The top of my knees are super sore but I had a good time.

lavey jr

Reaction score
I have a Giant ATX One DH that’s on the market if anyone is interested! RST front forks, Fox rear shock, hydraulic disk brakes front and rear. It’s been a great bike!
C8433F72-A7B4-4E8C-8D97-6D0D57F6F159.jpeg

propcheck

Reaction score
Pretty excited just picked up a new to me Felt edict. Happy to have found a full suspension cross country bike that climbs like a hard tail. Now if I can just get away from work and classes to ride,things might be great😂

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I need to get my ass in shape. Not sure how good I can keep up, but im interested in tagging along!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Went out last Friday with my buddy who is also new to MTB. He’s been doing for about 2 months, my first time. We went to Bonelli park in San Dimas and did 6 miles. About half was on asphalt. The first half was trail and I really enjoyed that. Took a little bit to get used to the gears and timing of shifting. I’m used to standing up going up a long hill, It was tough having the rear suspension bouncing. Might have been better if we adjusted to my weight.
Definitely humbling when you are out of shape. The top of my knees are super sore but I had a good time.

Dave, check out the Fullerton Loop. It's beginner easy and pretty fun.

Some of us have a lever to lock our suspension for that reason. 😊

white tortilla

Reaction score
This time of year sucks for those of us who have to ride after a work day. Still been getting out 2-3 times a week locally.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
The wife and I both have Turbo Levo's and love them. We actually burn more calories on these then we did and regular bikes. My motor failed at 500 miles but Specialized replaced it and added a 4 yr warrantee.

Totally, some people poke fun at me for having an ebike, but I agree that since you don't suffer as much you're gonna ride more because it's so much more enjoyable. Plus, most of my buddies I ride with have ebikes, so we still battle just as much except we're going so much faster. On my pedal bike, I have to keep my legs in good shape constantly because once you lose them you've got to build them up for pay for it on the trail and the thought of that discourages me from riding.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I can’t get on board with the ebikes. Maybe when I’m 75 if I’m lucky enough to live that long, but in my 50’s I don’t think the motor “helps” the workout.

I could see RiverDave on one. 😂

You're definitely old school.. :)

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
I can’t get on board with the ebikes. Maybe when I’m 75 if I’m lucky enough to live that long, but in my 50’s I don’t think the motor “helps” the workout.

I could see RiverDave on one. [emoji23]

I’m right there with you. If I wanted pedal assist I’ve got a dirt bike. I recently bought a 2020 bike after riding bikes from the mid 2000s. Wow technology has come a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Dave, check out the Fullerton Loop. It's beginner easy and pretty fun.

Some of us have a lever to lock our suspension for that reason. 😊
We’ll have to check it out. Thanks
Yeah, my buddy had me lock out the front. It was more of the rear suspension. I could only sit and pedal for so long, I needed to stand. But going uphill, in low gear, standing and pedaling was like being on a pogo stick.
I definitely have a learning curve going on.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
We’ll have to check it out. Thanks
Yeah, my buddy had me lock out the front. It was more of the rear suspension. I could only sit and pedal for so long, I needed to stand. But going uphill, in low gear, standing and pedaling was like being on a pogo stick.
I definitely have a learning curve going on.

Lock the rear shock too if you’re able. 👍

I alternate stand up pedaling as well, but it depends on where I’m at.

If you ever need a trail guide for Marshall Canyon or Chino Hills hit me up.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Where do you usually ride? I’m down in San Diego always looking for new riding buddies.

I am up in Ventura County but let me know if you ever make it up this way.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Just ordered a 26" Dirt jumper

Not really into pedaling uphill's at this point in my life (actually i never liked it...lol) but i figured this would be fun to ride with the kid.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
How bout my Rock Mountain. Its practically new. If anyone is interested. $800
1605199764876.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Just ordered a 26" Dirt jumper

Not really into pedaling uphill's at this point in my life (actually i never liked it...lol) but i figured this would be fun to ride with the kid.

That looks bad ass. Really thinking of grabbing one of these to ride a few miles in the mornings.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Yep, it blew apart, need to remember to carry an extra link with me- not that it would have help here.

I’ve broke 1 chain in 7 years and that chain only lasted 30 seconds. It’s a fairly rare occurrence.

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
Anyone riding tomorrow in the San Diego / Orange County area?

ssc

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at ebikes. Unfortunately I’ve had very limited time on my bikes for last 15 months. However, I am back riding. Damn if my legs are out of shape. Am trying to ride three days a week. Here is my new addiction to my bike collection.

Cheers, Steve
6D3D8AD9-6DD5-49B2-835B-9D5A0A9494EA.jpeg