WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

Meaney77

Reaction score
Anyone else thinking about buying a MB?

Need some input, I live in Mountain Biking Mecca- we are surrounded by mountains with some awesome mountain biking trails and I am kind of getting a wild hair to buy something while we sit in quarantine but the problem is I am absolutely clueless on what to look at, whats good, whats bad etc... I have ridden/raced dirt bikes all my life but mountain bikes are totally foreign to me.

Looking for some input before I go into the shop.

Im 6'1, 225 LBS looking for an entry level bike that will last me for a while but not totally break the bank. Looking to ride local mountains/Trails, etc... what should I look at and what is realistic to spend- not looking to break the bank.

c_land

Reaction score
Get something light with 29" wheels. Around 30 lbs would be a good weight if you're getting full suspension.

DC-88

Reaction score
Check this place out for classifieds and more info- buying used can be sorta like buying a SXS. Sometimes you can find a good one that is a year old with a bunch of good stuff on it that has not been beaten up for cents on the dollar. 27.5 or 29” wheel size with single “1x” front gear would be bare minimum requirements as a starting point . I have a buddy I ride with who gets a new bike like every six months so I just buy his old ones.

https://m.pinkbike.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Live in the mountains? Specialized Turbo Levo...say no more. While in quarantine try to do an hour a day, just got back.

2Driver

Reaction score
At your size you’d want to be with a solid bike with solid suspension components. A lot is about the components.

You'll be in the $3,000-$3,500 for something worthwhile. I’d look at trek or specialized. If your trails are tight and technical look at 27.5” wheel if more flowing then a 29” wheel is good, but either one wil be great

Trek fuel Ex 8 is a great bike in the category. Look at something similar in specialized. There are lots of local bike makers but I’ve always stuck with major manufactures and their warranties.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I have a specialized enduro that has served me well. I weigh just a little more than you[emoji3064] Three thousand price tag brand new and you will get a bad ass bike. I’m going 29 next time, just don’t go 26 if they even sell them anymore, outdated. When you get one just ride[emoji106]

RodnJen

Reaction score
I have a Felt 950 that’s been a solid bike for the money. It’s a hardtail, which I prefer, but has solid components without going over the top.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

Need some input, I live in Mountain Biking Mecca- we are surrounded by mountains with some awesome mountain biking trails

So true.. KIller trails everywhere. I would probably get a Specialized Levo.

BajaT

Reaction score
Neighbor had this growing up. Damn we had a blast! I was so jealous...
1585101533156.png

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Without knowing what kind of riding you are looking to do it's tough to say. Downhill/Enduro/Bike Park. or Cross Country. My neighbor's kid rides/races Enduro and Downhill, I race/ride Cross Country. My bike would suck for what he does, and his bike would suck for what I do.

Reactions: ROZ

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score

Need some input, I live in Mountain Biking Mecca- we are surrounded by mountains with some awesome mountain biking trails and I am kind of getting a wild hair to buy something while we sit in quarantine but the problem is I am absolutely clueless on what to look at, whats good, whats bad etc... I have ridden/raced dirt bikes all my life but mountain bikes are totally foreign to me.

Looking for some input before I go into the shop.

Im 6'1, 225 LBS looking for an entry level bike that will last me for a while but not totally break the bank. Looking to ride local mountains/Trails, etc... what should I look at and what is realistic to spend- not looking to break the bank.
I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago.....bought one and now it's a clothes rack......need to get it outside and USE it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
So true.. KIller trails everywhere. I would probably get a Specialized Levo.
We have been doing a lot of hiking over the last week and the trails around us look so fun and could be so much more fun riding!!
Not sure if I am ready to commit to the EBike thing yet...?

ridebig

Reaction score
Just gonna say if you are new to this.. spend wisely. Some of these bikes mentioned are expensive! Try to find something used or on the lower er to see if you really want to get into it. If so go after it! My favorite MB is a Jamis that my son had before he went full bore into the sport. I still want his left overs lol.

DC-88

Reaction score
Santa Cruz Hightower 29”

This is my favorite so far as well , along with a Pivot my son had. I traded my buddy for this one a few months ago setting a house of windows and exteriors for him , but it’s nice to be able to switch back-and-forth between 27.5 and 29. To me it’s all about the exercise . Going down is fun but not like riding a dirt bike , and probably more dangerous at times —
IMG_2701.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Riding is a lot of fun. I picked up a bike two years ago. I would recommend going on pinkbike classified forum. There are going to be some smoking deals this and next month. 29 12 speed eagle x1 components or Schmiano. The new tech suspension / brakes composites are awesome. Wheels / composites / tubeless / super wide tires. Everything is just way different then 25 years ago. Have fun!!!

BingerFang

Reaction score
Get a Scott Genius or Spark. My dad has one, @white tortilla has one and I pick mine up Friday!

Has the suspension to get you down the technical stuff and is efficient enough to get you where you need go. Comes with a dropper post, lockouts and good components. I can get you a good deal on one if interested, around 3k cash for a good one. I’m located in gorgeous La Habra.

Pick this bad boy up Friday and I’m STOKED
15216506-A99C-4E73-948A-9A7B4CB68F75.jpeg

Pattle

Reaction score
Just curious why everyone is pushing 29ers. The OP sounds like a big guy, so a big bike on 29ers might be fine. I think of it kind of like a Jeep. If you put 40s on your Jeep, you're going to want to move your axles further apart. I have a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail on 29ers, but also a Cannondale Claymore freeride 26er, which I feel way more comfortable with in the technical stuff. Obviously the geometry of the Claymore is designed to go downhill, while the Stumpy is designed to go uphill, but I think the tire size also makes a difference. I'm far from a bike expert, though, so curious why the folks here like the 29ers so much.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Just curious why everyone is pushing 29ers. The OP sounds like a big guy, so a big bike on 29ers might be fine. I think of it kind of like a Jeep. If you put 40s on your Jeep, you're going to want to move your axles further apart. I have a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail on 29ers, but also a Cannondale Claymore freeride 26er, which I feel way more comfortable with in the technical stuff. Obviously the geometry of the Claymore is designed to go downhill, while the Stumpy is designed to go uphill, but I think the tire size also makes a difference. I'm far from a bike expert, though, so curious why the folks here like the 29ers so much.

Do they still sell tires for 26” wheels?? Ahaha

brgrcru

Reaction score
1. Demo a few bikes. Trail, enduro, hard tail , full suspension .
A. All Bikes are so good now. You really can't go wrong with the any of them .Santa Cruz , specialized, treck , pivot , transition , commencal just to name a few .
B. Hard at first , but just keep riding , it turns into a passion . Your bike will be the cheapest part of it, all the accessories that go with it add up .
2. Take it real slow at first . Fire roads and some easy single track .
Get use to body position, brakes , Looking ahead . I know everyone had rode a bike , but shit happens fast , just when you think your having a great ride , bam the front wheel washes out and over you go .
Gloves and helmet a must . Good bike shoes , you can wear flats or clip in . I'm on flats . Be prepared to have cuts on your shins . Lol

I ride 4 times a week . About 40-70 miles a week. Also do snow summit park all summer once a week and whistler once a year.
My pedal bike is a Santa Cruz carbon mega tower 29" awsome bike . I ride lots of fast techy trails with steeps and chutes. This bike kills it .
I also do lots of down hill and park riding on my specialized demo 8 . this bike will not climb . So I hike a bike it , 2 days a week , on a huge jump line that is close to my house .

You will meet some great people riding . They will turn Into great riding buddies. Having riding buddies is a good thing .
But not always needed. But always better, To have someone around just in case .

I started riding mountain bikes about 15 years ago. When I was 40 . I rode before. But not that much . The last 15 years have put me in better shape , then I could Imagine at 55. Made me stop smoking , made me eat healthier, really don't drink anymore .
I have to ride . It turned into my greatest passion. Has helped my waterskiing , wake boarding and snow skiing. All around my outlook on life

brgrcru

Reaction score
Oh Ya
Riding my DH bike today , I ran into someone riding a new specialized kenevo e bike. For every loop ,I did , he did two.
So I did three loops , he did 6 .
6 times going down one of the best jump trails , in the san Gabriel's . Lucky him.
My point is It is rewarding to climb and point the bike downhill, after the climb . But I think lots of us are going to be on e bikes in the future
if I can still pedal ,but not work as hard . but can do three loops on el p or Haines jump line . In almost the same amount of time . That will be awsome.
So it is also something to think about .

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
https://www.fezzari.com/

By far my favorite brand i have dealt with and personally ridden on the IE and SD trails.
Actually just ordered my third bike from them. Best pricing for available components, best customer service ever and they include measurements for fitting the bike to your size and weight so it feels comfortable right off the bat on the first ride. If you dont like it then send it back in 90 days full refund.
I grew up on specialized and intense bikes and this direct to consumer brand has been the best for me the past few years.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
This is my favorite so far as well , along with a Pivot my son had. I traded my buddy for this one a few months ago setting a house of windows and exteriors for him , but it’s nice to be able to switch back-and-forth between 27.5 and 29. To me it’s all about the exercise . Going down is fun but not like riding a dirt bike , and probably more dangerous at times —
View attachment 858767

Looks like mine, I run 27+ , it’s slower, but more like a 4x4. I don’t race anymore anyway.

Fast Willy

Reaction score
Specialized Stumpjumper 29er alloy. It's only 30 lbs which is 2 lbs more then a carbon model, but $1500 cheaper. I paid $2700 brand new 2 weeks ago. All the good fox suspension. Definitely get a full suspension bike. I just sold my hard tail which only has front suspension & its 100% better with full suspension.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1583189609885.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583189609885.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 363
  • FB_IMG_1583189614058.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583189614058.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 360

nordictom

Reaction score
Ok, Where is Mountain Biking Mecca? I want to ride there. seriously though, my Daughter works at a bike shop in Salt Lake. If you need advise, she can probably give you some guidance.

NT

pavski2

Reaction score
With the geometry of the modern MTB's 29er's can be very nimble, depending on the type of riding you will be doing the bike type and wheel size is more of a comfort thing. 29" wheels have a longer roll out (you go farther every time the wheel goes around) roll over bumps easier and have a bigger contact patch (more tire on the ground) which can increase braking. I had my doubts about 29er's when they first started coming into the Trail/Enduro/Downhill world from the Cross Country crowd, but after riding them I would never look back.

The best way to decide on a bike is to figure out the typeof riding you will do and a budget, and try to get the best bike within that budget. Full suspension is a must, purely for comfort. Length of travel and the purpose the bikes built for (XC, Trail, Enduro, DH) each is built for a specific reason, but some do all better. A good do it all bike like a Trail or Enduro for more aggressive riding, Enduro for more aggressive (forgiving suspension) 150-160mm. Trail for better overall ride (up and down) does all well, but not as much suspension 130-140mm. I personally am riding a Trail style bike with 130-140mm suspension and love it, I am very aggressive and ride everything from Big mountain to XC type trails and am very happy with it. There are times more suspension would be nice (Enduro) but overall it fits my style.

For someone that will not be riding more than a couple times a week you can't beat the fun factor of an Ebike. I think the biggest reason most people park the bike after riding for a bit is lack of fitness, and not enough time to get it. With the Ebike you can get both, you still have to pedal (fitness) because they assist you but get more overall ride time. For overall have fun and fitness this is the way to go.

As for what to purchase, find a local shop that has demo bikes and ride the different types and brands. All of the big brands are very good and most of it is personal preference. There are also many Boutique and Medium size companies that make great bikes. Make sure that you buy the right size, and have the suspension setup right (sag) and get the most bike for your budget. Lastly buy a quality helmet and shorts, one will save your head and the other will save your ass. Whatever you decide to buy make sure you get out and use it, your physical and mental wellness will benefit from trail therapy.

golakers

Reaction score
I would look on Craigslist also. Some people don't take to MTB. I'm a MTB junkie in OC. I've had several XC bikes. Santa Cruz is a great brand. I had a Tallboy which was great. I'm on an SWORKS Epic that climbs like a HT and flows great on the downs but not a DH bike. Good luck and hope you get addicted. Great way to clear your head and take a break from grind!

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Wow you’re getting a lot of great info here!

You’ll feel right at home on a MTB because of your experience on dirt bikes and I think you should skip the hard tails altogether. You’re gonna love how “flickable” these bikes are and I think weight won’t be much of a factor to you as everything is going to feel light. That’s a good thing because in the MTB world, weight is the largest factor in cost. If you can give a little there, costs come down substantially.

Are you looking for an all around bike that can do everything well or something that excels in one area like climbing or downhill?

We’re the same build and I really enjoy my Giant Trance 27.5”. It’s a pig at 31lbs but rather inexpensive for the components I have on a rock solid frame.

BD9BD831-2DE6-4B08-AA69-7483CCD99B88.jpeg

Last edited:

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you're new to the sport, I'd suggest giving Jenson USA a call 888-880-3811 and speak with one of their "gear advisors". They're experts on all things mountain bike related -- they ride the newest bikes and test the latest equipment. They'll give you straight advice without a sales pitch. Jenson USA is located in Riverside (off the 215 freeway) and is one of the largest Internet bicycle retailers in the country. They carry a huge in-house inventory (warehouse over 80,000 sq. ft.), free shipping on orders over $60 -- they also have a 40% off sale going on now until mid-April. Their prices on mountain bikes range from a few hundred dollars to well over $10,000. Their headquarters office/warehouse is still open and doing business, their retail store off the 91 freeway in Corona is temporarily closed.

oldschool

Reaction score
I still have my 1988 Specialized Rockhopper, Still works good for me, the seat is worn out.
It is a Classic like my Campbell
That’s cool, I still have my Stumpjumper from the late 80’s as well. Now has old man bars on it though.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score

You’ll feel right at home on a MTB because of your experience on dirt bikes and I think you should skip the hard tails altogether. You’re gonna love how “flickable” these bikes are and I think weight won’t be much of a factor to you as everything is going to feel light. That’s a good thing because in the MTB world, weight is the largest factor in cost. If you can give a little there, costs come down substantially.

Are you looking for an all around bike that can do everything well or something that excels in one area like climbing or downhill?

We’re the same build and I really enjoy my Giant Trance 27.5”. It’s a pig at 31lbs but rather inexpensive for the components I have on a rock solid frame.

View attachment 858848
Curious why you say skip the hardtails altogether? Depends on terrain quite a bit, no? I'm in the market as well so purely asking.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
@snowhammer good question. I think @Ballsdeep would outride a hardtail on mountain trails purely based on his riding experience.
Thanks for the response! @Marios Metalworks, I have mostly fast single track here, not much for boulders and real rugged terrain. I like to gravel road ride as well so I would think for me I would be spending $$ on a suspension setup that I may not need or use. I too come from a dirt bike background, in fact I am trying to join up for a social distance dual sport ride soon.:cool:

Meaney77

Reaction score

View attachment 858848
Good info from you and all of the other inmates. As you mentioned, I am looking for that all around good gem that can do just about everything. I have heard good stuff about the Trances as well. I am going to head out to a few of the local shops shortly and check a few different bikes out.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Bobby Woods owns Studio Cycle Company, he knows his shit and can get you Big Bang for your buck wether that be new or used and delivers. 310 925-6446

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
That's the best way to do it! Get some seat time on the bikes that fit your budget. Be careful with riding the nicer stuff because all of a sudden you can afford a little more ;)

Mikes56

Reaction score
Think about an electric bike. I was completely against them until I rode one a few weeks ago. You're able to ride further so you won't get bored on the same trails. You still get your exercise because you can dial down the amount the motor helps you.
A friend of mine bought one because her son was doing the Death Valley Ride and she wanted to go with him, but wasn't in good enough shape to do all those miles.

707dog

Reaction score
Bought this Diamond Back on Offer Up. After getting it tuned up I am into it about $300. Is a perfect starter bike. Will probably upgrade to a bigger wheel bike soon, but not in any hurry. View attachment 858814

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
my DB is similar to yours but blue got it off CL from a college student for $150 tuned it up been solid for a couple years but time for seat upgrade the taint cant take it anymore... as a family we peddle off 6-7 miles when we ride out

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I recommend getting something decent if you come from Moto. I would say a short travel full suspension bike that was made in the last year. They have changed the geometry so much in the last 5 years that something from 2015 will ride dramatically different than the same bike/model in 2020.

From a new buyers perspective used bikes on Craigslist can be pretty confusing. Used shop demo bikes or talking with a few local shops can give you real insight on what bikes are the best for that area.

I second the giant trance but the 29 version the 2019 can be had for a decent entry level price and are super fun bikes.

Also get something that is a good climber because fitness is SOOO important in mtb and seat time is all you can do for that. Having a good climbing bike that will get you to the top with more energy left for the downhill is huge at the beginning.

As far as eBikes go, I have one and love it but the low quality ones are not so good and if you want to figure out obstacles and get used to bikes in general getting a standard bike is better at least for a while. I never thought I would have such an expensive bike but once you get a taste of the best suspension and brakes etc it’s hard to go back..

Where is this mtb Mecca ?

DesertDog63

Reaction score
I would try some Demo's from a bike shop first to see if it's something you want to spend a bunch of money on and make sure you like it. Most bike shops will apply the money you spent on the demo's toward a purchase

Meaney77

Reaction score
I recommend getting something decent if you come from Moto. I would say a short travel full suspension bike that was made in the last year. They have changed the geometry so much in the last 5 years that something from 2015 will ride dramatically different than the same bike/model in 2020.

From a new buyers perspective used bikes on Craigslist can be pretty confusing. Used shop demo bikes or talking with a few local shops can give you real insight on what bikes are the best for that area.

I second the giant trance but the 29 version the 2019 can be had for a decent entry level price and are super fun bikes.

Also get something that is a good climber because fitness is SOOO important in mtb and seat time is all you can do for that. Having a good climbing bike that will get you to the top with more energy left for the downhill is huge at the beginning.

As far as eBikes go, I have one and love it but the low quality ones are not so good and if you want to figure out obstacles and get used to bikes in general getting a standard bike is better at least for a while. I never thought I would have such an expensive bike but once you get a taste of the best suspension and brakes etc it’s hard to go back..

Where is this mtb Mecca ?

Thank you for you and everyone elses input!!
MTB Mecca- I live in Newbury Park along with a few other inmates on here. We are surrounded by lots of mountains with tons of trails right out of our back yard. We are pretty lucky to be able to ride trails without having to load bikes and drive far.

So I pulled the trigger yesterday, I went over to a local shop and picked up a Trek Fuel EX5 29er. It is perfect for what I am looking for- just an all around descent entry level bike, that didnt break the bank. I figured I am gonn get my feet wet with this first and see if its something I enjoy before getting off my wallet for something better, with better components, etc.. Also as @Fenderbender said I need seat time and learn how to ride this thing.

I did 2 loops by my house this afternoon and was out for about an hour and I was a total squid!! Definitely need more seat time to learn how to climb! I am stoked so far and already looking to do some more riding tomorrow if I can move!

59E51725-6DE6-4D22-92B1-AD2362A6C50F.jpeg
4C1B1834-62B0-400D-B1D7-E3601B71AC86.jpeg