WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Sold my two race road bikes this week as I got a super sweet new one on the way. Been riding my steel fendered commuter. Love it as it's so comfy. It handles 650b off road tires and up to 42mm 700c gravel tires too! Did around 45miles and 3000 feet of climbing on it Saturday. Fun to drop guys on 10k carbon road bikes why I have a lighted quacking rubber duck on the bars. Hahaha.

20201114_124113.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have any input on where I might be able to find new MTB's online?

Looking to get my daughter a 24" MTB this year for Christmas but all of the local shops are out of stock or dont know what is due to arrive. Was hoping to possibly buy something reputable online and I can assemble my self.

Appreciate any input.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
The wife and I want to get into mountain biking. What do you guys suggest for beginner bikes?

The entry level Specialized Stumpjumper seems to be around $2k and looks to be a solid bike.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
FWIW, @Ballsdeep
I have a brand new Walmart 26” bike for sale.
It has a 2” gooseneck extension and some new water bottle holders.
It literally has been ridden one time.
I got it new for my short lived GF, then I booted the girlfriend.
It was $150 at Walmart, I think the gooseneck deal was like $25

Anyway, $125 cash come and get it.

21 speed.

4D8CDE60-DC32-455E-9488-C6CAE5B37A53.jpeg
1E6ADD6B-4BB6-4D76-A284-C1A20570E035.jpeg
03D13235-5F6F-4F3F-8A54-A2CFA46DC186.jpeg

evantwheeler

Reaction score
The wife and I want to get into mountain biking. What do you guys suggest for beginner bikes?

The entry level Specialized Stumpjumper seems to be around $2k and looks to be a solid bike.

I just picked up a Surly Karate Monkey hard tail with fox 150mm travel front fork for $1750 off craigslist a month back. It's setup for 27.5+ tires, which means the rolling diameter is close to a regular width 29" tire. I used to ride a 26" yeti 575 full suspension bike, which was great for what I used to ride years back when I lived in Colorado and then British Columbia, but so far I don't miss the rear suspension, and I am also a fan of the larger tires and the ease with which they roll over rocks and such. I am going to call Surly a boutique brand with kind of a cult following. Cool thing with these kinds of bikes is you can always get your money back out of them as they aren't mass produced and a dime a dozen. There is a shop in Redlands that sells them, Econobike I think is the name.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have any input on where I might be able to find new MTB's online?

Looking to get my daughter a 24" MTB this year for Christmas but all of the local shops are out of stock or dont know what is due to arrive. Was hoping to possibly buy something reputable online and I can assemble my self.

Appreciate any input.

I’ve heard these guys have bikes.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
CC551BDB-1602-49B4-8657-1F0453B7CFEB.jpeg

Did The Mescal Trail and a few other ones in Sedona Saturday. Perfect morning but starting getting super crowded by the time I was almost done. I really shouldn't go there on Holiday weekends it's nuts. I did an Oak Creek Loop a couple weeks ago and that was way more mellow
790016C2-211B-4803-A86D-6EC27EFC6CAB.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
"I got it new for my short lived GF, then I booted the girlfriend."

Classic! 😅

lol, yeah I suppose so!
I dated her and lived with her off and on for 8 years before I met Debbie. We almost got married in the 90’s.
So after Deb passed I hadn’t seen her in 20 years when a friend connected us again.

The good part was that it seemed exactly like it used to be and we picked up where we left off all those years ago.

The really bad part was that it seemed exactly like it used to be and we picked up where we left off all those years ago.
Lol!

Anyway, it’s a Walmart bike and good for a kid or whatever as a normal bike, and it is literally brand new.
I know all the shelves are still empty so figured someone might want this for their kid or something since new bikes aren’t around except for high dollar ones.
I ride a Haro I got used that I really need to upgrade.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

I own this same bike, just a newer model. I'm tempted to buy it just as a spare. This would be a reasonable first bike if you're just getting started.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I picked a brand new (nipples still on tires) fully carbon hardtail GT 29'r after the same thing happened to some guy.....bought her the bike...broke up a month later and I picked it up for 1500...! :)

Lol
I wanted to spend no more than $100 on her bike!
I had to shell $150 for that one and was not happy...

mbrown2

Reaction score
Lol
I wanted to spend no more than $100 on her bike!
I had to shell $150 for that one and was not happy...
LOL...the guy I came across probably spent 2800 so you should feel pretty good you only wasted a 150.....figure it like you took her to a nice dinner to say good bye!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Nice set up. I was on Zwift but got DQed because my power 5.2 WKG for an hour. I was going to get verified and I quit racing. So now I want to get back on Zwift again for the winter but Ill just make another account and if I ever get close to 5wkg again, I'll make sure I get verified or whatever they call it.

Edit, just found this. They do call it being verified.
"ZADA/5WKG: rider has breached the (A) category threshold and requires their data to be verified from real world data via ZADA (5W/kg for 20 minutes, 6W/kg for 5 minutes). To submit data, click on the link in your ZwiftPower profile."

I'm pretty out of shape now and would be surprised if I could ever be over 5wkg again at close to 50 years old.

Last edited:

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Nice set up. I was on Zwift but got DQed because my power 5.2 WKG for an hour. I was going to get verified and I quit racing. So now I want to get back on Zwift again for the winter but Ill just make another account and if I ever get close to 5wkg again, I'll make sure I get verified or whatever they call it.

Edit, just found this. They do call it being verified.
"ZADA/5WKG: rider has breached the (A) category threshold and requires their data to be verified from real world data via ZADA (5W/kg for 20 minutes, 6W/kg for 5 minutes). To submit data, click on the link in your ZwiftPower profile."

I'm pretty out of shape now and would be surprised if I could ever be over 5wkg again at close to 50 years old.

Thats incredible power....I am 56 and can hold 3 w/kg for as long as I want. But beyond that my heart just tells me to FO...

But for whatever reason my lungs process like Lance Armstrong. I like the software...it seems to be close to my real power abilities. These hills and climbs are unlike anything I can find in Iowa. So two weeks in and I am hooked so far. Last night on a 3k climb I saw a few 4 watt bikers pass me. And some where flying on 10% to 15% climbs.

I find myself always trying to chase the rabbit on this machine and thats a good thing. Total distraction...

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
That thing is serious! Makes my Peloton look like a toy. Is that the one that leans with you in turns?

It will tilt forward and back to just about any category climb. The power wheel will simulate the climb and downhill decent....the software will emulate any of the modern gearing available on most bikes and simulate the same shifting brands widely available. Shimano, SRAM, Campagnolo. The fan can run variable speed, based on heart rate or virtual speed.

The downfall is zwift is 14 bucks a month. I only plan on running it for 5 months, then pausing the membership.

But so far no complaints about the realism. Its as hard of a workout as any thing I have done.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
It will tilt forward and back to just about any category climb. The power wheel will simulate the climb and downhill decent....the software will emulate any of the modern gearing available on most bikes and simulate the same shifting brands widely available. Shimano, SRAM, Campagnolo. The fan can run variable speed, based on heart rate or virtual speed.

The downfall is zwift is 14 bucks a month. I only plan on running it for 5 months, then pausing the membership.

But so far no complaints about the realism. Its as hard of a workout as any thing I have done.
That is badass. Peloton is $39/mo. so I get the membership thing.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thats incredible power....I am 56 and can hold 3 w/kg for as long as I want. But beyond that my heart just tells me to FO...

But for whatever reason my lungs process like Lance Armstrong. I like the software...it seems to be close to my real power abilities. These hills and climbs are unlike anything I can find in Iowa. So two weeks in and I am hooked so far. Last night on a 3k climb I saw a few 4 watt bikers pass me. And some where flying on 10% to 15% climbs.

I find myself always trying to chase the rabbit on this machine and thats a good thing. Total distraction...

Thanks. I actually just checked and my best power when I was 43 (im now 47) was 351 watts for an hour at 160lbs. That puts me around 4.9. So my bad, but more than enough to get me booted from Zwift. haha. However on Zwift I was making well over 5wkg for 20mins plus and that is when you get flagged.

I would love to get back to 4.5 wkg to 5 before I am 50. That would be a huge goal for me and it would make if fun to beat up on the youngins around here.

3wkg is strong and especially at 56! Keep up the great work.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
My family loves to shred... My Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg is Amazing, My wife rides a Marin, My boys ride Nuke proof and Giant. This sport is like any... Cool Billet and Carbon everything $$$$
IMG_3326 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3326 copy.jpg
    IMG_3326 copy.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 147

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Decided to get into the hobby, but had no way to transport the bike after I traded in the truck for the GX. Enter the 1up Superduty. This thing is a work of art.
CC50AD31-36CC-42E2-A81B-2739436C10B8.jpeg

I’ll be riding my Specialized Hardtail for a while, but first I’ve got to get some gear.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Been riding for 25 years and more off than on recently. Two kids under 3, business, etc has kept me off. Tried getting on the bike yesterday and riding Rimcrest out of Yorba Linda...I quickly realized I can’t just hop on the bike after 3 days of eating and drinking and expect to ride lol.

Going to break in again with Telegraph and maybe a little Fullerton.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I had a pretty good get off a few weeks back going down a pretty steep downhill locally.I went over the bars and did something to my shoulder- it hurt like a bitch.

I went to the doctor that fixed my other shoulder, the X-ray didn’t show anything broken. He said give it a few weeks and if it’s not any better we will do an MRI. Still sore but not s bad as it was. Getting older is a bitch!! Fingers crossed it’s just a bad strain, I am kinda jonsing to ride!

golakers

Reaction score
I had a pretty good get off a few weeks back going down a pretty steep downhill locally.I went over the bars and did something to my shoulder- it hurt like a bitch.

I went to the doctor that fixed my other shoulder, the X-ray didn’t show anything broken. He said give it a few weeks and if it’s not any better we will do an MRI. Still sore but not s bad as it was. Getting older is a bitch!! Fingers crossed it’s just a bad strain, I am kinda jonsing to ride!
Crashing is not a matter of “if”, it’s “when”. Heal up. I’ve had my fair share.

golakers

Reaction score
Gotcha. My parents are in VP and I’m over in Orange off Cambridge between Katella and Taft.

That’s an insane ride! E-bike?
Small world. Use to live on Adams/Cambridge.

No ebikes me. Just a cycling junkie. Cures my A D D. I ride 4 days a week😎

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I’m currently waiting for surgery. I have a torn rotator, Labrum, bicep tendon and 3rd degree AC separation. Been riding almost 2 months like this.

12+ months post surgery rehab time. Not stoked on that.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I’m currently waiting for surgery. I have a torn rotator, Labrum, bicep tendon and 3rd degree AC separation. Been riding almost 2 months like this.

12+ months post surgery rehab time. Not stoked on that.
That blows!!! I tore my labrum last year and had surgery- not a fun deal to go through. Good to see you are powering through it and not letting it get the best of you, hang in there and keep on peddling!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
That blows!!! I tore my labrum last year and had surgery- not a fun deal to go through. Good to see you are powering through it and not letting it get the best of you, hang in there and keep on peddling!

How long were you down?

I'm still riding but as evident in my above video I'm not rippin. For me It's more about just getting out and getting the exercise am I'm trying to hit surgery as strong as possible.

Meaney77

Reaction score
How long were you down?

I'm still riding but as evident in my above video I'm not rippin. For me It's more about just getting out and getting the exercise am I'm trying to hit surgery as strong as possible.
Recovery wasn’t terrible, I was down for a few months. Immediately after surgery I wasn’t able to lift my arm other than to wash and deodorant. I think I started physical therapy around the 4th week a few times each week were they focus on keeping shoulder loose, some stretching and some light weight training to get strength back.

A few things that worked well for me-Heat and ice was a big help right after surgery. An elevated pillow that props you up when you are laying down- help with trying to sleep. Also a few large Ace bandages to wrap around you and keep your arm tight- helped for sleep and just throughout the day. Also Prevented quick reactions that could prolong recovery. I got both ice/heat Pack and pillow wedge on Amazon.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Recovery wasn’t terrible, I was down for a few months. Immediately after surgery I wasn’t able to lift my arm other than to wash and deodorant. I think I started physical therapy around the 4th week a few times each week were they focus on keeping shoulder loose, some stretching and some light weight training to get strength back.

A few things that worked well for me-Heat and ice was a big help right after surgery. An elevated pillow that props you up when you are laying down- help with trying to sleep. Also a few large Ace bandages to wrap around you and keep your arm tight- helped for sleep and just throughout the day. Also Prevented quick reactions that could prolong recovery. I got both ice/heat Pack and pillow wedge on Amazon.

I heard the elevated pillow is a must. Thanks for the advice.

She's Mine

Reaction score
Anyone get a new bike for Christmas and want to sell their old 27.5 or 29"?

Meaney77

Reaction score
Terrible day today, haven’t ridden in about 6 weeks since I messed up my shoulder. I felt like an absolute squid and struggled....
So frustrating, it takes forever to build up your endurance and get faster but you loose everything you work hard for pretty quick when you dont ride consistently.

Still not a bad view, I think @Tank is down there drinking beers in golf cart.

Here is another reason am not a “run away coward “🤘

73EF5D57-FD97-4907-9739-20D6E74BA3F6.jpeg
04224BCB-63B2-4231-BBE7-D7958BBC96CF.jpeg
B05481A1-AA9E-4701-8AF0-A15D23D0BDE9.jpeg
C3CFCD3B-4CED-48BA-B711-C0724F795684.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Terrible day today, haven’t ridden in about 6 weeks since I messed up my shoulder. I felt like an absolute squid and struggled....
So frustrating, it takes forever to build up your endurance and get faster but you loose everything you work hard for pretty quick when you dont ride consistently.

Still not a bad view, I think @Tank is down there drinking beers in golf cart.

Here is another reason am not a “run away coward “🤘

View attachment 966827 View attachment 966828 View attachment 966829 View attachment 966830

I'm a little more right of frame. 😁

It's nice up there!

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm a little more right of frame. 😁

It's nice up there!
Pix don’t do any justice, it was clear as a bell today. You could see the cargo ships going into the port and houses at the Strand. Another terrible January day in CA!