WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

Tank

Reaction score
Pix don’t do any justice, it was clear as a bell today. You could see the cargo ships going into the port and houses at the Strand. Another terrible January day in CA!
Love those days after the wind and rain. Crisp air. I've seen days where you could the buildings on anacapa clearly with the naked eye.

'bout to storm all week starting tomorrow though. Which is fine, we need the water.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
After much resistance to getting an ebike and then after a ton of research when I finally decided to consider one, I went with the Luna X1 from Luna Cycle and picked it up last week along with a friend of mine who bought one also. Couldn't seem to find any bad reviews on them and found a few direct comparisons between the X1 and the Specialized Turbo Velo. It runs head to head with the Specialized for less than half the price. I am really impressed by it and will no doubt ride more often because I won't get my ass kicked as bad by the pretty serious hills in my area.

Highly recommend the Luna X1 to anybody who is considering an e-mountain bike. I am thoroughly happy with this one ad my friend is also. He texts me almost every day telling me he loves it and what ride he just did. $3700 out the door as opposed to somewhere around $8000 for the Specialized. I've made a few changes, but here it is right after I put it together:

ED14B597-E336-4E47-9960-B7908D35F12D.jpeg

Oh, and there was talk of rattlesnakes a ways back in this topic. I killed 22 of them this past year while out mountain biking, hiking, or finding them close to my house. It was a huge season for them and I wonder if this year will be just as bad...

clarence

Reaction score
Looking to get into mountain biking but really would like to avoid a bike rack.

What do you riders think of the Montague Paratrooper folding bikes?

Seems some question the components, but the bikes are inexpensive enough they could be easily upgraded, yes?

Thinking either the 26" Pro or 27.5" Highline.

montague.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

Seems some question the components, but the bikes are inexpensive enough they could be easily upgraded, yes?

View attachment 972758

First off, I would never buy one of those. I'm more interested in a quality bike than how I transport it, but this isn't about me.

It might be fine for you depending on how and where you intend to use it. It's probably ok for street and maintained fire roads.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

View attachment 972758
I used to haul my regular mountain bike by taking off the seat and wheels. All were quick release.

What about a trailer hitch bike rack. I have a nice Tule one. Works great, and easy on and off the car or truck.

Sent From Tapatalk

clarence

Reaction score
I used to haul my regular mountain bike by taking off the seat and wheels. All were quick release.

I'll check, but don't think taking off the seat and wheels will allow the bike to fit in my back seat or under hatch.

And certainly not as easily.

What about a trailer hitch bike rack. I have a nice Tule one. Works great, and easy on and off the car or truck.

I'd intended to find a Thule hitch rack (having the Thule Trail XT basket). But I'm planning on some long trips and:

1) They leave the bike exposed to weather and thieves.

2) Even the easiest to tilt away to open hatch or take on/off still adds a step.

3) All subject to wind: hurting mpg and limiting top speed, and all seem to wobble a bit and/or make some noise.

4) Reading reviews, all seem to have quality issues (stories of dropping or dragging bikes in the road).

Securing the bike in the car seems much preferable. If I give up a little performance (even after upgrading components), it seems a fair trade-off.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'll check, but don't think taking off the seat and wheels will allow the bike to fit in my back seat or under hatch.

I'd intended to find a Thule hitch rack (having the Thule Trail XT basket). But I'm planning on some long trips and:

2) Even the easiest to tilt away to open hatch or take on/off still adds a step.

3) All subject to wind: hurting mpg and limiting top speed, and all seem to wobble a bit and/or make some noise.

4) Reading reviews, all seem to have quality issues (stories of dropping or dragging bikes in the road).

Securing the bike in the car seems much preferable. If I give up a little performance (even after upgrading components), it seems a fair trade-off.

I get it, and agree with everything you said. It sounds like a fold up bike might be the solution for you.

I couple of replies on your concerns. Not trying to change you mind, but just want to make you aware if you didn't know:

**Getting into the hatchback: the rack I have, you pull a pin and it folds down towards the ground, with the bike(s) on it, to get it out of the way, so you can open the lift gate on an SUV.

**Wobbling: It bothered me in the beginning. I tightened every bolt, and it still wobbled. I called the bike shop and they said it is part of the engineering to dissipate the energy when you hit a bump. He said they were origunally rigid, but the rigidity caused stress on the rack and breakage. So they redesigned it to have some play to alleviate that.

**Hauling long distance: I have hauled a big, heavy, beach cruiser 1,200 miles round trip multiple times on a rough, pot holed highway. The bike and the rack survived unscathed even hitting big bumps at 80 mph.

**The Elements: I get that concern for a road bike or beach cruiser, but for a mountain bike, I don't see much difference between rain and road grime and riding it through mud and puddles.

**Security: the rack I have locks securely to the front wheel. It also has a long locking cable built in (all the same key). I wouldn't leave it on the rack overnight, but it is fairly secure to run into a store or restaurant. Of course that changes a little if you have quick release on your front wheel. The cable is also meant to act as a safety chain if the bike came loose.

Sent From Tapatalk

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I bought a locking Saris hitch rack for my wifes Pilot. It's solid! No wobble. It's well made.
Sure, the added weight might drop her mileage by a tick and her top speed might suffer but she's not driving the autobahn.

If overnight security is a concern, move the bike from the rack into your hotel room or wherever you're staying.

It's really not that difficult.

IMG_6321.jpg

Last edited:

golakers

Reaction score

clarence

Reaction score
I get it, and agree with everything you said. It sounds like a fold up bike might be the solution for you.

I couple of replies on your concerns. Not trying to change you mind, but just want to make you aware if you didn't know:

**Getting into the hatchback: the rack I have, you pull a pin and it folds down towards the ground, with the bike(s) on it, to get it out of the way, so you can open the lift gate on an SUV.

Still, an added step. More of a hassle taking the thing on and off when wanting to take the bike to a local trail. Wouldn't want to leave it on all the time.

**Wobbling: It bothered me in the beginning. I tightened every bolt, and it still wobbled. I called the bike shop and they said it is part of the engineering to dissipate the energy when you hit a bump. He said they were origunally rigid, but the rigidity caused stress on the rack and breakage. So they redesigned it to have some play to alleviate that.

**Hauling long distance: I have hauled a big, heavy, beach cruiser 1,200 miles round trip multiple times on a rough, pot holed highway. The bike and the rack survived unscathed even hitting big bumps at 80 mph.

When I say I'm planning some long trips I mean (light) "overlanding" for a couple weeks at a time from Austin out West, northern MN, Maine, Key West, etc.

Many highway (100mph West TX) and gravel/dirt road hours. Maybe because I'm so not mechanically inclined, I'm especially sensitive to wobble and/or noise. I don't want to flinch at every bump.

**The Elements: I get that concern for a road bike or beach cruiser, but for a mountain bike, I don't see much difference between rain and road grime and riding it through mud and puddles.

That's probably true.

**Security: the rack I have locks securely to the front wheel. It also has a long locking cable built in (all the same key). I wouldn't leave it on the rack overnight, but it is fairly secure to run into a store or restaurant. Of course that changes a little if you have quick release on your front wheel. The cable is also meant to act as a safety chain if the bike came loose.

Sure. But I expect I'd pretty quickly get tired dragging the bike into the hotel night after night.

I really appreciate the advice, but while each concern might be addressable, combined they seem more a hassle than whatever performance I'd give up with a folding bike.

Maybe most importantly, I'm not yet a mountain biker. Unless you believe the Montague would only discourage me, it won't slow me down.

I just need it to be good enough to let me know if I like the sport. If I do, I'll do whatever I need to then.

Thanks everyone.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these disc brakes? My buddy is trying to sell me a bike so I’m looking at the components And trying to determine value. I think it had a shimano deore derailer. Bike is a 29 specialized Fuse.
731AD29D-E90D-4062-97E5-CE4B5B109860.jpeg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Still, an added step. More of a hassle taking the thing on and off when wanting to take the bike to a local trail. Wouldn't want to leave it on all the time.

When I say I'm planning some long trips I mean (light) "overlanding" for a couple weeks at a time from Austin out West, northern MN, Maine, Key West, etc.

Many highway (100mph West TX) and gravel/dirt road hours. Maybe because I'm so not mechanically inclined, I'm especially sensitive to wobble and/or noise. I don't want to flinch at every bump.

That's probably true.

Sure. But I expect I'd pretty quickly get tired dragging the bike into the hotel night after night.

I really appreciate the advice, but while each concern might be addressable, combined they seem more a hassle than whatever performance I'd give up with a folding bike.

Maybe most importantly, I'm not yet a mountain biker. Unless you believe the Montague would only discourage me, it won't slow me down.

I just need it to be good enough to let me know if I like the sport. If I do, I'll do whatever I need to then.

Thanks everyone.
That all makes sense. Taking the bike off and on to bring in the hotel at night is definitely a pain. The times I have don't that, I got to the hotel around Midnight, and putting the bike back on about 4:30 - 5 am so I can hit the road again.

I don't have any information to offer about the bike itself.

Sent From Tapatalk

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these disc brakes? My buddy is trying to sell me a bike so I’m looking at the components And trying to determine value. I think it had a shimano deore derailer. Bike is a 29 specialized Fuse. View attachment 973050

Go on here and compare prices

Those brakes are not very high end either is his fork.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

That's probably true.

Thanks everyone.

I also don't have any knowledge on that bike in particular. The obvious concern is that you end up in a mountain bike version of the below photo. I would hesitate greatly to take that on any sort of trails above a dirt walking path, if trails like that is your goal then hell yeah brother and drive on. If your goal is progress, you will hit a ceiling pretty quickly.

1613422607976.png

clarence

Reaction score
Yikes.

The Paratrooper is actually so named because it was developed for and is actually used by paratroopers. Its frame strength and the strength of the folding mechanism aren't in question. Just the quality of its components.

Lots of reviews like this:

The Paratrooper has a remarkable frame — it truly rides with all the finesse of a non-folding bike. The only complaint I can find is that the components are entry-level. While I have owned mine, I have gradually upgraded every component from the wheels up. Not only is the bike of much higher spec than shipped from the factory, it is also significantly lighter.

I have run it off-road equipped with an excellent Marzocchi suspension fork, and it has comfortable cross-country geometry. On occasion, I’ve swapped out the suspension fork for a rigid aluminum unit, and mounted road-oriented tires. In this configuration, it makes a competent flat-bar road bike capable of serious gravel touring and 60-70 mile days. The swap only takes about 20 minutes.

I would gladly rate the frame at five stars, but I feel an otherwise outstanding machine is betrayed by it’s moderate-quality groupset. However, if you purchase one with the knowledge that you can upgrade as you go along, this could be the only bike that you’ll need for a very long time. It is one of the few folding bicycles that I’ve used (three at this point) that is not compromised by its folding mechanism.

The other argument I read is that for the price one could buy a non-folding bike with higher quality components (and save 2 pounds). But that isn't much of an argument, just recognizing that the folding feature has a cost. And that cost seems worth it to me.

I'd enjoy building the bike up if I get into the sport anyway, so I'd thought to go with the 26" Pro or 27.5" Highline. But maybe I should go with the Elite from the start?

How do these components rank?

FrameCustom drawn 7005 Series Aluminum with DirectConnect System. Power Angle geometry. Replaceable derailleur hanger and disc mount
ForkRockShox Reba RLT for 27.5″. 100mm travel w/ rebound adjustment and lockout
RimsMavic XM319, Black, Alloy, 32 hole with eyelets
TiresMaxxis M309 Crossmark. 27.5 x 2.10”
HubsetFormula Disc, Black, Alloy sealed front & rear with CLIX® front quick release
Spokes14 Gage Stainless, Black
SaddleWTB Speed Comp
Seatpost30.0D Kalloy Uno. Alloy, Black
HandlebarsKalloy. Double butted Alloy, 5 degree backsweep. 31.8 barbore
StemRitchey Comp 4-Axis. Alloy 120mm
ShiftersShimano XT trigger shifters
Front DerailleurShimano SLX
Rear DerailleurShimano XT 10-speed
CranksetShimano XT Hollowtech 2 for 10-speed. 42/32/24. 175mm crank arm
Speeds30
BrakesetShimano XT hydraulic disc brakes. 160mm rotors.
PedalsNone
Bottom BracketShimano XT Hollowtech.
Frame Sizes18”, 20”
Folded Size36” x 28” x 12”
Approx Weight27lbs

$2500

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
That all makes sense. Taking the bike off and on to bring in the hotel at night is definitely a pain. The times I have don't that, I got to the hotel around Midnight, and putting the bike back on about 4:30 - 5 am so I can hit the road again.

If I was too lazy to roll a bike in and out of a hotel room I’m probably gonna be too lazy to ride at all. 😂

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
If I was too lazy to roll a bike in and out of a hotel room I’m probably gonna be too lazy to ride at all. [emoji23]
[emoji23][emoji23] I was just say, doing it quietly at Midnight and quietly putting it back on 4 hours later to hit the road again, is a pain in the ass.

Sent From Tapatalk

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
[emoji23][emoji23] I was just say, doing it quietly at Midnight and quietly putting it back on 4 hours later to hit the road again, is a pain in the ass.

Sent From Tapatalk

Why stop at 4 hours late at night? Can we add a snowstorm an earthquake and a passed out, naked midget hooker to the story? And don’t forget the bike’s a little muddy!🙂🙃

Universal Elements

Reaction score
New specialized status 160, specialized hasn't officially launched it yet, they are doing a guerilla marketing campaign on social media

Been out for a year they just did a soft release frame only for the first year cause they didn’t want it conflicting between the stumpjumper and enduro

clarence

Reaction score
Mountain bikes are awesome but 90% of the trails people are riding them on would be better suited to a gravel bike as they just aren't that rough or radical (most of the trails posted in this thread definitely look gravel bike friendly). I do understand people love those big tires as they feel more comfortable on them.

What do you think of the Specialized Diverge Evo Expert?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
It's starting to get green!

What trails are you riding in Chino Hills State Park?

My favorites are Faultline, Raptor, Bane and Ranger Ridge. Also like skully and Bovinian delight. I stop riding there when the trails over grow around May.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
What do you think of the Specialized Diverge Evo Expert?

That bike is pretty cool! For smoother fire roads, gravel roads and such it would be a much better choice than a full blown MTB. Specialized makes a good bike. They are one of the bicycle super powers and I usually go with smaller companies, but they are very popular and have probably the best resale of any bicycle currently made beating out even Giant and Trek by quite a bit.

clarence

Reaction score
Thanks, br. Saw your post before I went shopping today and it helped me to pull the trigger.

Seems to suit the kind of riding I'll do at first, and nothing else I'm interested in is available. I was happy to see the shop next door is now carrying Santa Cruz, but they could only hope to get a Chameleon before the end of the year. Yeesh.

I do appreciate smaller companies have offerings too, but I'll need gear, maintenance, and advice and so thought best to establish a relationship with a local shop.

ssc

Reaction score
Let me ask since there seems to be many here who have great knowledge. I bought my grandsons Mtn bikes. My oldest is 11 and stands 5ft7in. He weighs around 135. He has taken to MTN bike riding. The bike I bought him was a giant or trek--I don't remember, but it is a hardtail. He is now saying he wants something with suspension. Perhaps a trail/all mountain type bike. I am not inclined to spend lots of money, but looking for perhaps a good entry level bike or even a good used bike. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Let me ask since there seems to be many here who have great knowledge. I bought my grandsons Mtn bikes. My oldest is 11 and stands 5ft7in. He weighs around 135. He has taken to MTN bike riding. The bike I bought him was a giant or trek--I don't remember, but it is a hardtail. He is now saying he wants something with suspension. Perhaps a trail/all mountain type bike. I am not inclined to spend lots of money, but looking for perhaps a good entry level bike or even a good used bike. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

Check craigslist daily for a used full suspension 26r’s. The bike market is hot so you have to be quick to get something. I scored a 2006 Giant for my 12 year old last summer for $700. Fox suspension, Magura brakes, tubeless etc. He loves it! My 14 year old is on a Giant Talon 2 and he can ride black diamonds on it. Full squish is nice but it’s more about the rider than the bike until you become really good. Keep in mind your kid will out grow this bike and need a larger one in a few years.
D451FCFC-DE73-422F-B004-A01B7DB47A99.jpeg

87D4A66F-8520-4CAC-8368-62F0E4A70F45.png

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Just bought my kid a giant talon 27.5 xs. Bike is bad ass we did a turn around to Santa Cruz to get it. So stoked with the giant. It is a great bike. I want one now.

clarence

Reaction score
Just ordered a bike rack (Thule Helium Platform 1).

ETA? June 7.

Grr.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Cheers, Steve

Unfortunately inexpensive suspension bikes are not great. I would look for something one to three years old that was 3k or more new and you have a good chance it will work well. An average hardtail is better than an average FS bike. Pros still win the world crosscountry championships on hard tails. Many times the field is still split 50/50 on both.

ssc

Reaction score
What is everyone's thought regarding the trek roscoe 8? Think I will buy one for the grandson. From talking to him he doesn't need rear suspension. He is only 11 and he currently rides a giant ATX. Seems like a good upgrade and my younger grandson will be able to ride the ATX in a bit when he outgrows his Jr MTN bike.

Cheers, Steve

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
What is everyone's thought regarding the trek roscoe 8? Think I will buy one for the grandson. From talking to him he doesn't need rear suspension. He is only 11 and he currently rides a giant ATX. Seems like a good upgrade and my younger grandson will be able to ride the ATX in a bit when he outgrows his Jr MTN bike.

Cheers, Steve

That's a very nice bike and has great components, BUT if I had that kind of money to spend I wouldn't hesitate getting a full suspension.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Thirty mile winds here today. Had to hit the weights. My Specialized Enduro is wondering WTF😄

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Rode my buddy's customized pivot...wow, first time on a FS bike. I have him scouring craigslist so I can upgrade from my Specialized HT.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
So I got the bug bad and have been looking at XC race bikes non stop. I decided to do the Leadville 100 next year and my goal at 49 years old is to be top 100 out of 1500 they allow. Then when I am 50, I would like to try and win the 50plus age group.

I really want a hardtail because I like the weight and really love the looks. Most say a HT will do well at Leadville, but almost everyone says buy an FS as they are so good now.

One thing I am struggling with is they crazy wide bars everyone runs. Insane as the bars keep getting narrower in the road world.

I am usually not a Specialized guy, but liking all of these bikes if I went with Spesh. Buying a 10k S-works doesn't make sense. When I was sponsored by Specialized they gave our team the cheaper Pro stuff not the S-Works road bikes and they were fine.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Rode my buddy's customized pivot...wow, first time on a FS bike. I have him scouring craigslist so I can upgrade from my Specialized HT.
What size frame are you after? I am upgrading my 18 Yeti SB5 LR - Large - w/ Nox CF / SRAM Eagle01 / Fox 36

Was going to list it on pink bike. Anyone here interested PM me. Perfect condition. 4800

CD8244C8-74F7-4D1F-BF82-ECA4FF314693.jpeg