WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
They cancelled my surgery. They said I need a full shoulder replacement and I said no. I'll see if I can get a few more miles out of it. Made another Chino Vid Friday while it's blooming. Am I the only one still riding?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I just rode Chino Hills today. I’m getting back into it and my 67 year old dad is kicking my ass up and down the hill. It’s amazing how green it is out there!

I get smoked by older guys once in a while. And they aren't on ebikes. Does your Dad ride often? I think some of Raptor Ridge and will be impassable in another month. What areas did you ride?

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I get smoked by older guys once in a while. And they aren't on ebikes. Does your Dad ride often? I think some of Raptor Ridge and will be impassable in another month. What areas did you ride?

My dad rides 1-2x per week, most times starting from Rimcrest and working his way around. He also rides Santiago Oaks quite a bit.

For me, I normally ride Telegraph (still working on getting back into it). When I lived in South County, I was riding Aliso Woods a lot but haven’t done that in awhile.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Hulda Crooks today. Weather was perfect! Great view of Big Bear across the valley.
IMG_6855a.jpg
IMG_6856.jpg
str.jpg

golakers

Reaction score
My dad rides 1-2x per week, most times starting from Rimcrest and working his way around. He also rides Santiago Oaks quite a bit.

For me, I normally ride Telegraph (still working on getting back into it). When I lived in South County, I was riding Aliso Woods a lot but haven’t done that in awhile.
I ride Oaks 3xs a week. It was the best kept secret. Now it’s packed.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Still riding but it’s been so damn windy here it’ll blow you off the bike. Did get in 14 miles yesterday and 11 miles today.👍🏻

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
My son just picked this up last week. Damn who knew how much these F’rs cost. And he’s on the low side from what I hear. [emoji33]
IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Nice Giant! Yeah, these bikes can get spendy. Nothing the average riverdaver can't handle. :)

Handle it or not. I don’t even want to ride it. Just because of the you break it , you fix it rule. Lol.

Fast Willy

Reaction score
Get a Specialized Turbo Levo, you will thank me later. Still get as much as a workout as you want. Just keep the power on eco.

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_202145_908.jpg
    IMG_20210323_202145_908.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 138

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Nice Giant! Yeah, these bikes can get spendy. Nothing the average riverdaver can't handle. :)

I looked into getting one but when it came time to fork over $4,000 I changed my mind. Too rich for my blood

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I looked into getting one but when it came time to fork over $4,000 I changed my mind. Too rich for my blood

Mine too. I just find sort of baffling Let alone 4-5 k on a bike. people will spend 10+ k. . Hey I’m happy he’s in a place to afford it - but damn. I don’t think I could ever spend that for something I have to peddle. Lmao.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

You can get a good full suspension bike for half that.

Meaney77

Reaction score

Meaney77

Reaction score
Great to see everyones still riding! I have been getting back to riding a few times each week, I kind of turned into a bitch over winter with the cold weather and wind I didnt ride much.

Its crazy how long it takes to build up your endurance and how fast you can loose it!

So I have question for you guys that ride a bunch. I notice some days, I am on the struggle bus...and by struggle bus I mean I ride a few of these trails locally and within 15 minutes of peddling I feel like I am short on breath or my heart is going to pop out my chest and my legs are burning. Other days I can ride the same section and it just flows and its not a struggle.

I notice on some rides that I have a few moments where I just feel like an out of shape clown on 2 wheels but then 30- 40 minutes into the ride everything clicks and your flowing and not breathing heavy, not struggling and legs feel good climbing etc.. Its kind of like your body is warmed up and working properly. I am assuming we all have our moments, but is this normal? And if its normal, what can you do to get warmed up sooner to avoid the struggle bus?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Great to see everyones still riding! I have been getting back to riding a few times each week, I kind of turned into a bitch over winter with the cold weather and wind I didnt ride much.

Its crazy how long it takes to build up your endurance and how fast you can loose it!

So I have question for you guys that ride a bunch. I notice some days, I am on the struggle bus...and by struggle bus I mean I ride a few of these trails locally and within 15 minutes of peddling I feel like I am short on breath or my heart is going to pop out my chest and my legs are burning. Other days I can ride the same section and it just flows and its not a struggle.

I notice on some rides that I have a few moments where I just feel like an out of shape clown on 2 wheels but then 30- 40 minutes into the ride everything clicks and your flowing and not breathing heavy, not struggling and legs feel good climbing etc.. Its kind of like your body is warmed up and working properly. I am assuming we all have our moments, but is this normal? And if its normal, what can you do to get warmed up sooner to avoid the struggle bus?

I’m no expert so keep that in mind, but for me (and we’re all different) I can’t miss rides or I pay for it dearly. I’m talking about difficult “sufferfest” climbs. If I don’t put in the work on a regular basis my wind and leg strength quickly goes away. It’s all about hitting it consistently and making it hurt (yes, thats what she said).

Like anything else, putting in the time pays off in dividends. It’s beneficial for both fitness and technical skill coming down.

Obviously diet plays a part as well as hydration, but that goes without saying.

Now, to your point, I’ve trained at length for months at a time where I was doing everything right and eating well and still had the occasional weak day. My legs would hit a level of fatigue almost immediately and I knew my times would be shit or sometimes my legs would outpace my wind. I don’t know why that happens so I just pass it off as old age and keep on truckin. 😊

Last edited:

manxman

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of Bulls Ebikes for me and my wife and my son rides a fantic. We ride every weekend. It has been the first real bonding experience for me and my son. Its expensive, but the hours of enjoyment finding new trails to ride and just being outside has been great for my family. I worked so much last year that I really felt like I was letting my family down because of always being at work. The bikes have brought us together. I have also been geeking out on these electric motorcycles. Sur ron x and Segway X260. Me and my boy will ride 15 to 20 miles on bikes and then ride 20 + miles on the surron/segway. I have found so many new trails near my house that i never knew existed!
20210304_120625.jpg
20210502_151430.jpg
20210502_152042.jpg
20210110_104735.jpg

golakers

Reaction score
7280FC24-CDB8-4F18-96A4-D0B50FB87CCE.png

it’s all about seat time. Multiple rides a week

1x=no progress
2x=little progress
3x=maintaining
4x=progress
5x’s a week you will get strong quickly, but down side, you lose your fitness quicker!

Pattle

Reaction score
it’s all about seat time. Multiple rides a week

1x=no progress
2x=little progress
3x=maintaining
4x=progress
5x’s a week you will get strong quickly, but down side, you lose your fitness quicker!

Damn, that's depressing, but I think it's correct, especially for an old guy like me. My problem is I have too many things I want to do, so no way can I regularly ride several times a week. More like a few times a month. So I'm in a constant state of patheticness, even though I've been riding for over 10 years now. Oh well, at least I can still do it. Did an 18 miler on Sunday, granted mostly flatish trails, but still managed to clean a few steep climbs and hit some single track.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Damn, that's depressing, but I think it's correct, especially for an old guy like me. My problem is I have too many things I want to do, so no way can I regularly ride several times a week. More like a few times a month. So I'm in a constant state of patheticness, even though I've been riding for over 10 years now. Oh well, at least I can still do it. Did an 18 miler on Sunday, granted mostly flatish trails, but still managed to clean a few steep climbs and hit some single track.

Once you get in the zone, and see progress it becomes fun. Plus you feel great which doesn't hurt. The more fit you are the more fun mtn biking becomes plus it carries over to other activities.

golakers

Reaction score
Agree with Sharp Shooter. Get addicted to the challenge. The fitness and enjoyment will follow!

STV_Keith

Reaction score
The wife has wanted to get into some bicycles for a while. I guess I waited too long because now every place is out of stock of just about everything under $2k. We hit up a local bike shop last week to get an idea of what is out there and the wife liked the Trek Marlin 6, so I picked it up for her for Mother's Day. Nothing available in my size though. Used Trek Marlin 6/7's go within hours around here. I found one yesterday, responded within 2 hrs of the ad being placed and still got beat out. At least she has one now...
Marlin6.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
The wife has wanted to get into some bicycles for a while. I guess I waited too long because now every place is out of stock of just about everything under $2k. We hit up a local bike shop last week to get an idea of what is out there and the wife liked the Trek Marlin 6, so I picked it up for her for Mother's Day. Nothing available in my size though. Used Trek Marlin 6/7's go within hours around here. I found one yesterday, responded within 2 hrs of the ad being placed and still got beat out. At least she has one now...
View attachment 1001371
New and used bikes are selling like hot cakes!

I bought my 6 year old a new 20" Specialized MTB on Sunday as a present for her birthday in a few weeks. I call the bike shop religiously a few times each week to see what may or may have not shown up. Sunday was my day, they had 5 new 20" kids bikes show up. 4 of the 5 were claimed for and I was able to score the 5th one. I know it has been said before but the local bike shops say this pandemic has been better than any Christmas with all of the bikes they are selling.

96motorhead

Reaction score
I just bought a giant reign last weekend. I haven't rode since I sold my giant glory last summer. I'm definitely out of shape but am excited to get back into riding.

brgrcru

Reaction score
ride or die.
at least 3/4 days a week
el prieto trying to beak the 8 minute mark
haines jump line one of my favs.
sunset
rocky peak= undertow, grudge, g-spot
vahalla and scots
my usual go to rides

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
ride or die.
at least 3/4 days a week
el prieto trying to beak the 8 minute mark
haines jump line one of my favs.
sunset
rocky peak= undertow, grudge, g-spot
vahalla and scots
my usual go to rides

I rode El P once and it took me 15 minutes. Not good. 😂

brgrcru

Reaction score
I rode El P once and it took me 15 minutes. Not good. 😂

I just run out oxygen, towards the end. So I don't have , anything left to give , but hang on let off , the brakes
My fastest time is 8:11 . But always in the 8:20/8:45 range .
Doing it over a 100 times . Helps lol

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I just run out oxygen, towards the end. So I don't have , anything left to give , but hang on let off , the brakes
My fastest time is 8:11 . But always in the 8:20/8:45 range .
Doing it over a 100 times . Helps lol

That seems fast. I'd need to memorize it before hanging it out. It's a little far or I would put more laps in there. 👍

Meaney77

Reaction score
Need some input from the MTB guys around here.

Looks like the rear cassette on my bike is pretty hammered and eventually needs to be replaced.

My bike is currently a 10 speed, is it worth while to upgrade to a 12 speed and also change out the front chain ring to an oval?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Need some input from the MTB guys around here.

Looks like the rear cassette on my bike is pretty hammered and eventually needs to be replaced.

My bike is currently a 10 speed, is it worth while to upgrade to a 12 speed and also change out the front chain ring to an oval?

Go to 12 speed and no oval. Oval screws up your spin. If your go to 12 speed, make sure it’s compatible with all your drivetrain.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Well, the wife was pushing me to get a bike just to ride with her, even though there were no new ones available. I've been looking for something used for a few weeks, but nothing in my size, in my area. Finally grabbed this 2016 Trek Marlin 6 yesterday for $525. It doesn't have a lockout front fork and has the older 3x8 gearset, but it will do until a new one comes along.

I have to say that is one uncomfortable seat though. I need something different ASAP.

2016-Marlin6.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Well, the wife was pushing me to get a bike just to ride with her, even though there were no new ones available. I've been looking for something used for a few weeks, but nothing in my size, in my area. Finally grabbed this 2016 Trek Marlin 6 yesterday for $525. It doesn't have a lockout front fork and has the older 3x8 gearset, but it will do until a new one comes along.

I have to say that is one uncomfortable seat though. I need something different ASAP.

If you're serious about riding as in multiple times per week 5+ miles, go with a quality seat (lightweight gel) and padded shorts. If you're only going to cruise around the neighborhoods a big heavy beach cruiser seat might work for you.

Quality Seat link - get the right size

Padded Shorts

77charger

Reaction score
Gotta get mine out on the trails here in az.Seen some cool places to ride but ive only been riding around the neighborhood lately.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I mixed things up a bit and took a new trail this morning. I usually ride 8-9 miles each morning, pushed a little harder and took a new trail. It was a steep, slippery, rocky bitch.

Camarilio grade in the background

D6090C2D-5656-4C1F-AFC2-8E6EE817017B.jpeg
C302F31B-A67D-4064-9397-20265C4E4D64.jpeg

TrollerDave

Reaction score
This made me laugh. 😅

Yesterday was my second time MTN biking and I used an e-bike. My son and I went with my buddy and his riding group, about 9 of us, to Chino Hills and rode out to the golf course off the 91.
Being overweight and way out of shape, the e-bike was a Godsend and made it possible for me to be there. I tried not to use it when possible, but some of the hills were a little steep and I wouldn’t of had the endurance to make it without it.
It’s a great way to get you out there, get exercise, and for beginners to help keep up with more experienced riders. You can always turn it off if you want to push yourself. Or, you can be “ intolerable” and pass everyone on boost mode. 😆

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Good to hear Dave! Keep on ridin! And watch out for those hikers! lol

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I’ve been riding off and on for 25 years, the last 15 with an old Specialized Stump Jumper. Today, I rode with my dad on a Specialized Levo E-bike. I saw more of Chino Hills trails than I ever had. These e-bikes are a blast and the best part is being able to go out with my 68 year old dad and have him kick my ass up and down the trails! I’ll be hard pressed to get back on an analog bike.
F220E5E1-6E8A-4E7C-807C-3C983CD3674B.jpeg
8CC034A9-849A-4A89-B993-46D1B210AB04.jpeg
12BA9011-8E68-48F1-ADE0-BD790E31F1C3.jpeg
9275B43F-78A9-48B9-957C-397D4D08387E.jpeg

Mikes56

Reaction score
Get a Specialized Turbo Levo, you will thank me later. Still get as much as a workout as you want. Just keep the power on eco.
Thats tits. That’s our next bike, we’ve got Vados now.