4Waters

Reaction score
Got 12 miles in yesterday.šŸ‘šŸ»
Guy on my crew is mid 50's and did a 1/2 Ironman yesterday,
2.5 mile swim
110 mile bike ride
1/2 marathon
He has 15 hours to complete it allšŸ˜³.

I could probably swim 2.5 miles, not as fast as he can but I definitely couldn't even ride 1 mile after thatšŸ¤£šŸ¤£, hell I couldn't ride 110 miles in 15 hoursšŸ¤£. This is his 8th or 9th 1/2 Ironman

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I rode 80 miles from the Chino hills north entrance to Huntington Pier today. Not very fun on a mtn bike. Had to put a gel pad seat cover on my saddle to survive.

3D2B1F05-32E8-4F9D-B6B9-C95B3AD2D238.jpeg

A3F1B37F-558E-4A5A-B2D8-E4C696D2CCC0.jpeg

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Guy on my crew is mid 50's and did a 1/2 Ironman yesterday,
2.5 mile swim
110 mile bike ride
1/2 marathon
He has 15 hours to complete it allšŸ˜³.

I could probably swim 2.5 miles, not as fast as he can but I definitely couldn't even ride 1 mile after thatšŸ¤£šŸ¤£, hell I couldn't ride 110 miles in 15 hoursšŸ¤£. This is his 8th or 9th 1/2 Ironman

Itā€™s all about consistency, he doesnā€™t do that everydayšŸ™„šŸ˜‚

golakers

Reaction score
Iā€™m usually stoked with every ride. But this one SUCKED. Got rained on most of the ride. Flatted 3/4 up Bā­ļø. Fixed it in the mud and said F it. Came back home!
318D00B3-30DD-4FBF-BD1D-915A569B7752.png

Meaney77

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on the crash sensing devices? I was looking at this device that mounts to your helmet and notifies family of your coordinates if you go down. Not sure if Specialized is the only maker or if their is a better device out there?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on the crash sensing devices? I was looking at this device that mounts to your helmet and notifies family of your coordinates if you go down. Not sure if Specialized is the only maker or if their is a better device out there?

only good as long as you have a cell signal

Badchoices03

Reaction score
My 10yo son has been wanting to start MTB riding and we are headed up to Santa's Village on Christmas Eve to hit up their bike park.

The original plan was to rent some bikes there because he only has a bmx bike and I have an older hardtail Diamondback MTB. I called up to the park and the smallest bike they have to rent is a 26" so I decided we will just buy him one for his bday (Nov 27th). So we go to the local bike shop and somehow we end up buying bikes for both of us.

For him we got the Giant XTC 24 model with disk brakes. For me we got a Giant Stance 27.5 full suspension. Both of them are mostly on the entry level side, but for him he will outgrow it faster then he needs to upgrade, so I figure if he sticks with it, we will get him a better bigger bike. For me it just really depends on if my son sticks with it, I wasn't going to spend too much because if he gives it up, most likely I will too. If we do stick with it, I will just upgrade little things on this bike. I most likely will be getting a dropper post before our bike park trip though.

bikes.jpg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
realizing that I am a good enough rider to where the easy trails are a bit boring, but not a good enough rider to make the hard trails safe enough to where I feel comfortable riding them knowing I have to work monday. Anyone ever experienced this? Haven't been riding as much recently because of it.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
My 10yo son has been wanting to start MTB riding and we are headed up to Santa's Village on Christmas Eve to hit up their bike park.

The original plan was to rent some bikes there because he only has a bmx bike and I have an older hardtail Diamondback MTB. I called up to the park and the smallest bike they have to rent is a 26" so I decided we will just buy him one for his bday (Nov 27th). So we go to the local bike shop and somehow we end up buying bikes for both of us.

For him we got the Giant XTC 24 model with disk brakes. For me we got a Giant Stance 27.5 full suspension. Both of them are mostly on the entry level side, but for him he will outgrow it faster then he needs to upgrade, so I figure if he sticks with it, we will get him a better bigger bike. For me it just really depends on if my son sticks with it, I wasn't going to spend too much because if he gives it up, most likely I will too. If we do stick with it, I will just upgrade little things on this bike. I most likely will be getting a dropper post before our bike park trip though.

View attachment 1072529

I would recommend hitting up some local trails before jumping right into a bike park. My youngest kid would've had a tough time at 10 years old on 90% of the Skypark trails.

The Fullerton loop and parts of Marshall Canyon are great places to start out.

Congrats on your purchase and don't waste the money you spent, go ride! :)

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
realizing that I am a good enough rider to where the easy trails are a bit boring, but not a good enough rider to make the hard trails safe enough to where I feel comfortable riding them knowing I have to work monday. Anyone ever experienced this? Haven't been riding as much recently because of it.

Trail difficulty is subjective.... If you're riding green trails maybe step up to blue. If you're riding blue trails ride some harder blue trails. Work your way up. Trail selection can be huge in what keeps you rolling.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I would recommend hitting up some local trails before jumping right into a bike park. My youngest kid would've had a tough time at 10 years old on 90% of the Skypark trails.

The Fullerton loop and parts of Marshall Canyon are great places to start out.

Congrats on your purchase and don't waste the money you spent, go ride! :)
Yeah we will probably stick to the easier trails, we aren't going just for the bike park, we will be camping at the campground across the street.

I am not familiar with the Fullerton loop or even where Marshall Canyon is...lol....but we have been riding just local flat trails around here everyday since we got the bikes.

RichieRich

Reaction score
Yeah we will probably stick to the easier trails, we aren't going just for the bike park, we will be camping at the campground across the street.

I am not familiar with the Fullerton loop or even where Marshall Canyon is...lol....but we have been riding just local flat trails around here everyday since we got the bikes.
You can always check out Sycamore Canyon in Riverside...its right by the house and I took my 13 year old out there on Sunday and its got some easy stuff and some big jumps if you want.
sycamore canyon.JPG

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Need to get back in to riding regularly-
I normally (used to) ride Marshall Canyon in La Verne 2 times a week. I have been slacking with claims of weather is bad, kids, etc...Time to get back to it. If any one here needs a "ride motivator" like I do, I normally go around 7 am Saturday and Sunday. The ride starts at Oak Hills Elementary school on Wheeler Ave. above Baseline. About 6 miles for the easy route (45mins) or 11 miles the long way (1.5 hrs). I ride an old (2018) YT Capra 29, and I tend to move at a decent pace, but not breaking any records.
I'm planning on weekend mornings for the near future,(ill be there tomorrow) DM me if you want to join...Or text...626-513-5890

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Need to get back in to riding regularly-
I normally (used to) ride Marshall Canyon in La Verne 2 times a week. I have been slacking with claims of weather is bad, kids, etc...Time to get back to it. If any one here needs a "ride motivator" like I do, I normally go around 7 am Saturday and Sunday. The ride starts at Oak Hills Elementary school on Wheeler Ave. above Baseline. About 6 miles for the easy route (45mins) or 11 miles the long way (1.5 hrs). I ride an old (2018) YT Capra 29, and I tend to move at a decent pace, but not breaking any records.
I'm planning on weekend mornings for the near future,(ill be there tomorrow) DM me if you want to join...Or text...626-513-5890

I've done that ride many times and even made a video, but never rode that early. :)

Meaney77

Reaction score
That's exactly what it is. šŸ‘

It's great when you're biking with a lot of hikers. Have you been riding?

I rode Claremont loop, Marshall Canyon and Johnson Pasture this morning. Gotta love the 60 degree weather.

View attachment 1080853
Awesome, I have one as well. My Neighbor is the guy who started the "awareness bell". Cool to see people are using his product.šŸ‘

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Anyone in the market for a mullet wheeled full suspension? Going to be selling my Status 160. Never got fully comfortable getting back into the sport balancing keeping the trail interesting and not feeling like I was going to hurt myself. Asking $2900, will let go to RDP for 2750. Includes 1Up composite pedals and is already set up tubeless

Last edited:

Fenderbender

Reaction score

I have this on my Spec Ambush Half Shell and it sucks. I ride some gnarly technical trails and it goes off randomly and sends text message alerts to my emergency contacts.. I never turn it on any more.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Anyone else thinking about buying a MB?

Need some input, I live in Mountain Biking Mecca- we are surrounded by mountains with some awesome mountain biking trails and I am kind of getting a wild hair to buy something while we sit in quarantine but the problem is I am absolutely clueless on what to look at, whats good, whats bad etc... I have ridden/raced dirt bikes all my life but mountain bikes are totally foreign to me.

Looking for some input before I go into the shop.

Im 6'1, 225 LBS looking for an entry level bike that will last me for a while but not totally break the bank. Looking to ride local mountains/Trails, etc... what should I look at and what is realistic to spend- not looking to break the bank.

I didn't read all the posts and maybe someone already said this.
But
(My worthless 2cents)
Buy a piece of crap that you can walk away from if the sport does not blow your skirt up.

If you end up loving it: Then dive in and go big.
If you don't: Then let it rust on the side of your house or Craigslist out of your life.

I say this because: I bought, it sat, I lost $$.
šŸ˜

Good luck mang.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Usually those rattlers are cruisin slow across the trail. I ride in front or behind them slowly as long as they arenā€™t coiled up.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Usually those rattlers are cruisin slow across the trail. I ride in front or behind them slowly as long as they arenā€™t coiled up.
I always get sketched coming around a corner hoping one isnt laying in the middle of a trail or thinking they might be chilling in a bush waiting as you ride by.

A buddy of mine had some go pro footage of one that got tangled up in his rear wheel!

Here is the before shot..

8EE42F87-CB1B-4BAC-83DF-776B3A68CF35.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I always get sketched coming around a corner hoping one isnt laying in the middle of a trail or thinking they might be chilling in a bush waiting as you ride by.

A buddy of mine had some go pro footage of one that got tangled up in his rear wheel!

Here is the before shot..

I honestly don't worry about snakes. I've bunny hopped over a couple through the years while ripping down. Last year I saw a dog get bit, but his owner was allowing him off the trail.

Be careful when you're walking dogs people. The Ranger told me they lose about 6 dogs per year in on the Claremont loop. Keep them leashed and on the trail.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Day 1 of training Hitch to run along the MTB went off without a...hitch haha. Little dude absolutely loves ripping down the canal paths and seams to nudge my legs if I slow down too much. It's wild to see how he barely trots along when I'm pedaling along at a decent clip. Never seen the guy so tired midday!

On a side note what is the consensus on tubeless?

IMG_6565.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Day 1 of training Hitch to run along the MTB went off without a...hitch haha. Little dude absolutely loves ripping down the canal paths and seams to nudge my legs if I slow down too much. It's wild to see how he barely trots along when I'm pedaling along at a decent clip. Never seen the guy so tired midday!

View attachment 1098839

Thatā€™s awesome! I think my shepherd might be capable of that but Im afraid to try it. šŸ˜‚

Tubeless is one of the best advancements to ever hit mtn biking. Virtually no flats and the traction plus smoother ride that you gain from lower air pressure is invaluable.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Tubeless is one of the best advancements to ever hit mtn biking. Virtually no flats and the traction plus smoother ride that you gain from lower air pressure is invaluable.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve read so far tonight. I just put new tubes in mine and started looking into it. Thereā€™s a lot of conflicting info out there on converting the Giant S-XC2 rimset to tubeless so thatā€™s a whole new rabbit hole šŸ˜†

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve read so far tonight. I just put new tubes in mine and started looking into it. Thereā€™s a lot of conflicting info out there on converting the Giant S-XC2 rimset to tubeless so thatā€™s a whole new rabbit hole šŸ˜†
Look up "Ghetto tubeless conversion" Its essentially using Gorilla tape (1") or something else like that as rim tape. Then all you need is a tubeless core. Sometimes they are a bitch to get to seal up but still very very worth the conversion. You'll get nearly ZERO flats. I still use Stan's sealant. There are others but Stan's is still my go to. It's essentially liquid latex.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The caveat to tubeless is that you have to be committed to riding consistently, when I took a couple months off after I got COVID my tires were flat.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I would advise against converting a non tubeless ready rim if you plan to ride advanced mtn bike trails. I've heard the tire can come off the rim in extreme conditions potentially sending you off a cliff.

I only use rims designed for tubeless operation.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
The caveat to tubeless is that you have to be committed to riding consistently, when I took a couple months off after I got COVID my tires were flat.

You don't have to ride consistently you just need to check your air once in a while. haha!!!

To your point, the tubeless systems I've had over the years would slowly bleed off air maybe 2 lbs a week with everything being in good shape. The lower the pressure gets the slower the bleed off.

I have 2 bikes (wife and kids) that I installed slime tubes into. They never leak even after sitting 6+ months, but they do add a good amount of weight to the bikes.

Tubeless is clearly the best. Great traction, smoother ride and always nice to drop rolling weight. :)

Moose.png

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
There are tires that are notorious for bleeding sidewalls. I am a total Specialized freak. Their "Fast-Trak Control" carcass is what I use. If I'm racing, I'll put on S-Works carcass, which are significantly lighter. The S-Works tend to bleed, Controls, not bad. I never have had problems with Controls leaking. Stay away from Grid carcass, they are a heavy sidewall and ruin both your power, and suspension quality. It's like riding in peanut butter.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
There are tires that are notorious for bleeding sidewalls. I am a total Specialized freak. Their "Fast-Trak Control" carcass is what I use. If I'm racing, I'll put on S-Works carcass, which are significantly lighter. The S-Works tend to bleed, Controls, not bad. I never have had problems with Controls leaking. Stay away from Grid carcass, they are a heavy sidewall and ruin both your power, and suspension quality. It's like riding in peanut butter.

My Status 160 literally has the Grid carcass haha, that's just what came with it. I do tend to need heavier carcasses than most with my 6'5 230lb frame.

Status 160 is currently for sale for anyone interested

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
My Status 160 literally has the Grid carcass haha, that's just what came with it. I do tend to need heavier carcasses than most with my 6'5 230lb frame.

Status 160 is currently for sale for anyone interested
Putting lighter tires on a bike is like getting carbon race wheels on a road bike.

On my road bike I have two sets of wheels, Roval training wheels with Conti Grand Prix 5000 tires. A set of Roval crit, race wheels with Specialized S-Works, Turbo pro. Makes a gigantic difference.

Last edited:

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight everybody.

@nganga I'm leaning towards converting the rimset I have now and currently reading through threads on how that works with S-XC2's. What i'm not sure on is if I should buy a new set of tires or if the Nobby Nic (p-series) set I have now will suffice. I understand the tape, core and valves to an extent.

On a tangent, would you happen to have an eccentric hub laying around? I can expand in more detail in DM's if you do.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Here's some insight on Knobby Nic's. I have no history with them. As far as the hub, I dumped a shitload of bike parts a month ago. My new bikes typically don't need much.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Dang ok. I pulled my old college bike frame from the rafters and thinking of making it a single speed to keep at the loft downtown. Late 80's AL Cannondale with vertical drop outs.

Nosocks

Reaction score

View attachment 1098839
How do you train this? Mine has horrible ADHD.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
How do you train this? Mine has horrible ADHD.

Iā€™ll let you know in a few weeks šŸ˜† but seriously I just watched a few YouTube videos and created a plan based on bits and pieces of each methodology that I though would best fit Hitchā€™s learning process. He takes his time at first, likes to test boundaries then goes all in.

We started with him sitting up on the work table as I swapped tubes. Then walked a loop around the building on leash with the bike between us. After that I jumped on with his leash in hand and you could tell he knew we were about to go fast. He settled into his spot to my right as if we were walking/running. Same commands for left/right/slow/stop worked great.

Today he was off leash and we put in a little over 2.3 miles on a gravel canal path. Dude was pumped!

2789EEB7-2C84-43C3-9AAC-60D27948130A.png

wayniac

Reaction score
i converted the sx2 tubeless with gravel tires running 65 psi.. what is the issue people are complaining about.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
i converted the sx2 tubeless with gravel tires running 65 psi.. what is the issue people are complaining about.

Typical "its not TLR" stuff and enough ways to do it that muddle down the best way. How did you convert them (tape/core/valve/etc.)

wayniac

Reaction score
Not sure on which core or tape yet. Iā€™ll be using Stans for sure.
Typical "its not TLR" stuff and enough ways to do it that muddle down the best way. How did you convert them (tape/core/valve/etc.)
way back we did ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape. We actually drilled out the valve to put a schrader valve in, which i wouldn't recommend. Taped the wheel all of the way around put in the valve and taped a second time. However, now I wouldnt recommend the gorilla tape since it leaves residue on the rim if you have to replace the tape. Buy actual rim tape, and a presta valve core. Everyone has their goto for sealant. but I prefer orange seal endurance. If everything isnt tl ready, you might need an air compressor to get it to seat. Id recommend running a little more pressure than normal (35psi or so) at first so the bead stays.