WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Move out of Country? where to?

Tank

Reaction score
So, wife and I discuss Ca. politics, crime, cost of living, taxes frequently. We live in a little tiny slice of heaven that isn't too badly affected by the shit show that is california but I'm guessing that's not gonna last forever. We have stupid equity in our house and Iv'e thrown out the idea of moving to a different state in 4 years or so but her answer is she'll never leave the beach. I'm guessing eventually Ca policies will catch up to where we live and it'll get to be too much. We don't like the cold. So snow? no. Don't like the ungodly hot either. So Florida, tennessee, texas, even Arizona is out. Then I'm throwing around the idea well what if we got a house in Havasu and kept the house here? Or sell our house and buy a house on LOTO and one in south Florida (love both places) and bounce back and forth. But today, out of the blue she says, we should look into moving out of the country to a tropical island and hire private instructors for the kids (12 & 7). I'm like, whow. That's interesting. But then I start thinking about all the tropical places we've been and whats the common factor? They're all pretty poverty ridden which brings crime and problems. I'll stay in Ca. if I wan't to deal with that. LOL.

So the question is, where have you all gone out of state that you're like, "this is where I want to live". South American is out. Too volitile. Bahamas are out, too poor. BVI or AVI? Maybe? Greece? Philippines? Thialand? Both also pretty poor but....?? What say the masses.

Singleton

Reaction score
I was thinking Costa Rica, then I drank with my neighbors who have a place there already.
They have not visited since 2019 and the folks renting it have not paid rent since March 2020 and nothing they can do. Heard stories on how strict the government has been with C19 BS and said nope.

I am thinking south Florida and Idaho are my winter and summer locations

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Costa Rica / Columbia / certain parts of Max

DaveH

Reaction score
there is no good answer.

lets see you want mild climate, low taxes, near the ocean, no crime, no outa control govt.

fantasy land.

if that place existed it would already be packed.....and then the trouble that comes with that starts.

you will have to trade off something.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I was gonna say Costa Rica too, but never looked into it and didn't realize they were strict. When I went there I described it as, "It's kinda like a clean version of Mexico where you can drink the water". LOL

Joker

Reaction score
Jamaica was nice as was the Dominican Republic

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I believe BVI has low crime rates.

I also don't believe St. John has the crime rate of St. Thomas (don't quote me on that). St. John is on our short list but my wife always says "how will we get the dog and cats there?!"

#FirstWorldProblems 😂

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Belize

English is the primary language
legal code is loosely based on the English system as they were a colony until 1984
Crime is very, very limited, better than most of the US in reality
the Belize dollar is directly tied 2-1 on the US dollar so fiscally stable if you are.
beautiful LatAm beaches and country
Generally friendly people.
its not a wealthy country, but its not abject poverty like many tropical areas.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Step kid helps a friend nanny on the side, the couple stays 6 months on the beach on OC and 6 months on the beach in costa Rica, she could go also but can't leave her home life. I think i could do that, their place in costa Rica is plush.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Like all of your input on RDP this is another great thread Tankster. I suspect they'll be plenty to chew on.... love the fact that your wife is open minded enough to at least consider the international option. I for one was raised in both the Fla & Va weather and found your west coastal climate 30 years ago and stayed put. I will tell you that I have had a couple friends over my Cali years move abroad for many reasons; work & taxation, future planning etc..... what always happens is they are back to this region within 5 years time. The climate here tends to be the deciding factor.... every other choice regardless of continent will be a compromise. So yes taxes are terrible, governmental policies awful however this country is by far superior on so many key levels in most folks assessments. Add to that you look like you are in your early fifties and as a LE guy are most likely coming up on some lifestyle options. The choice to move is personal and I'd suggest you and your lovely bride take all the time you'll like in the analysis.... start by making lengthy travel plans to places you might consider and look at these locations through a lens not of a tourist but of a resident. Perhaps when you locate a continent, town etc buy a condo and visit there 4 times a year to ensure it fits needs and tastes. You can rent that condo out while absent. Just some thoughts.... probably nothing the two of you haven't considered.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
never even heard of that?

outremer 55.
BAC0201E-4789-4281-A2E1-DC2FF69A0579.jpeg

DanG

Reaction score
Agree with @Waterjunky on Belize for many of the reasons he listed. Wife and I really liked Ambergris Caye. Spent one day drinking at a little bar stand talking to a guy from OC that had retired there and was extremely happy. Not a bad life for sure.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
My neighbor is moving to Thailand in August. He has done a ton of research on this, I can give you his number if you would like

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Check out some of the places mentioned. Australia and New Zealand are going to be just as expensive as Cali with their own brand of the same problems. Jamaica and many like it are great in the resort, the rest make the wrong end of LA slums look wealthy and safe. I am sure there are areas but ---- careful......

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Friends and I were just discussing this. The fact is, unless your Native American, none of our families are really “from” here. At some point our ancestors left oppression, poverty, war etc somewhere else for the freedom and opportunities here. Unfortunately that America seems to no longer be this country, especially as things move dangerously Left.

So where do you go?

I’ve been to Costa Rica, friends love Belize and even a few countries in South America (bunch of Argentine friends who all moved from there to here 30 years ago but won’t go back). Don’t know much about New Zealand’s politics, but somewhere I always wanted to travel to.

The reality is most of these places are great if you go in having money. None of them seem to be viable options for starting a life over however.

I’m fully down to leave, but where?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
If you guys are leaving because of the lefties taking over (and massive gun control)......don't even think of putting New Zealand on the list and Australia isn't far behind.

Tank

Reaction score
......... 🙂

That video of top 5 countries was interesting (even though most deal with snow / cold climate. Then I threw it all in the trash when they listed canada as #1. LOL. Fuckin Canada. That place is more of a train wreck politically than the US. Fuck all that.

Costa Rica looks cool. Never been. But I think there's high crime no?
Jamaica and the DR there's way gnarly crime.

Belize? I'm in!

I dig the BVI and the USVI would be an option since you're still actually in the US but far away from the typical bullshit.

And this does NOT look like it would suck. Though I just looked it up and crime rate is pretty high. But crime rate in BVI, not so much. Actually low.

download (1).jpg
download (2).jpg
download.jpg
US-Virgin-Islands-2048x1367.jpg

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I wanna go check out New Zealand bad...
I hope you like rain. Just imagine the Oregon Coast without the Hippies and Soy Boys, lol. 🤪

@Tank. My plan is a lot different. I'm planning to move to our house in Havasu as our primary residence, then go RVing in the cooler areas of the US & Canada between July 4th and Labor Day to avoid the furnace. I haven't found a country besides Australia that I could see myself moving to.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Costa Rica didn’t use to have any real crime issues, but then I haven’t been there in 10 years and haven’t researched it. I do recall riding dirt bikes through a small beach town where the sheriff sat in a lawn chair in shorts and a what appeared to be a cowboy revolver. I waved, he waved. Roads were bad, but fun place.

An associate of mine who runs a small private hedge fund moved to Puerto Rico 6 months ago. He moved as an income tax strategy and only plans to live there for 4-5yrs. He seems happy there so far.

Maybe that’s an option, Its not a state but as a US territory it enjoys the association and military protection of the US.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
That video of top 5 countries was interesting (even though most deal with snow / cold climate. Then I threw it all in the trash when they listed canada as #1. LOL. Fuckin Canada. That place is more of a train wreck politically than the US. Fuck all that.

Costa Rica looks cool. Never been. But I think there's high crime no?
Jamaica and the DR there's way gnarly crime.

Belize? I'm in!

I dig the BVI and the USVI would be an option since you're still actually in the US but far away from the typical bullshit.

And this does NOT look like it would suck. Though I just looked it up and crime rate is pretty high. But crime rate in BVI, not so much. Actually low.

View attachment 999787 View attachment 999788 View attachment 999789 View attachment 999790

Have you ever been to BVI?

If not, you need to go regardless of if it's a potential long term landing spot.

My third trip there, set up for last July, got ruined by COVID.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
If it gets any worse, selling everything and I’m moving to Paraguay. Use to travel all over. Love this place. If your single, the women are gorgeous.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Don't flame me because it's Canada, but I really like Prince Edward Island.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Please take into consideration that most places in the world that are "safe", "crime free", and "peaceful" are that way because this great country is actively ensuring that they stay that way. That rum infused drink on a beach will be much sweeter after we stomp the new world order right in the jugular.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Took a very serious look at Key West before buying in LHC. Homework showed some very serious home insurance costs. Solution, pay cash and roll the dice. But, the summer months can be a serious bitch. Humidity, lots of rain, over cast, Hurricanes, tropical storms and the more frequent tropical waves are to be expected. The winter? IMHO - The best weather in the entire US. Of course the USVIs are similar.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You can run but you can't hide from:
* US taxes
* Crime and corrupt governments
* China and the Wuhan flu

Wanna get away? Do it in 1-2 places in the US after you both modify your wish list to include reality 😁

You want California's weather in another state and that doesn't exist

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
In no particular order.......

Mallorca, Spain

Puerto Adventuras, Mexico

Saranda, Albania

St Martin, (the best island to live in the Caribbean)

Paceville, Malta

You have to be a boater to appreciate the above suggestions

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
If you want clean, little poverty and strict application of laws, try Singapore.

If you want cheaper laid back boating and drinking, yet close to Merica, plenty of caribbean islands to choose from.

If you want to skip out of taxes, revoke your US citizenship the most popular foreign island type tax havens are BVI, Samoa and Malta.

Having spent plenty of time down there for work, I wouldn't move to Panama, Belize or any of the other Central American countries. There is a reason people are walking a 1,500 miles to swim across the Rio Grande and it is not because those are great places to hang your hat.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So, wife and I discuss Ca. politics, crime, cost of living, taxes frequently. We live in a little tiny slice of heaven that isn't too badly affected by the shit show that is california but I'm guessing that's not gonna last forever. We have stupid equity in our house and Iv'e thrown out the idea of moving to a different state in 4 years or so but her answer is she'll never leave the beach. I'm guessing eventually Ca policies will catch up to where we live and it'll get to be too much. We don't like the cold. So snow? no. Don't like the ungodly hot either. So Florida, tennessee, texas, even Arizona is out. Then I'm throwing around the idea well what if we got a house in Havasu and kept the house here? Or sell our house and buy a house on LOTO and one in south Florida (love both places) and bounce back and forth. But today, out of the blue she says, we should look into moving out of the country to a tropical island and hire private instructors for the kids (12 & 7). I'm like, whow. That's interesting. But then I start thinking about all the tropical places we've been and whats the common factor? They're all pretty poverty ridden which brings crime and problems. I'll stay in Ca. if I wan't to deal with that. LOL.

So the question is, where have you all gone out of state that you're like, "this is where I want to live". South American is out. Too volitile. Bahamas are out, too poor. BVI or AVI? Maybe? Greece? Philippines? Thialand? Both also pretty poor but....?? What say the masses.

bajamike can give you the rundown on the Philippines for sure.

there is no where on earth like the good ole USA.

take an extended trip of at least 3-4 months and hit all of the USA and you will know when you find it

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
There are way too many people from California moving to Northern AZ but that is where I would go. Not too far to Havasu, you can go there when it snows, or you can hit the mountains when it is hot in Havasu.

My .02.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Where do you live in CA? I can’t imagine it being worse than any of the 3rd world countries you’re thinking about.

I was born and raised here in southern CA though so I’m bias towards it... 😀

Tank

Reaction score
Where do you live in CA? I can’t imagine it being worse than any of the 3rd world countries you’re thinking about.

I was born and raised here in southern CA though so I’m bias towards it... 😀

We're in So. Cal. 30 minutes north of Malibu, 30 minutes south of Santa Barbara. Channel Islands Harbor / Beach.

Like I said, it's a little secret slice of heaven. And like I said, the way Ca is going, I don't see it staying that way forever. Just thinking ahead.