WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Move out of Country? where to?

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
My 5 year plan pre-pandemic and current Biden administration.

Spain - Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Madrid or Mallorca - added plus: cheap flights to anywhere in Europe
Portugal - carbon copy of Spain on a smaller scale
St. John/BVI - Haven"t visited, from what I've seen has a lot of potential
Mexico - Vallarta, Nayarit or somewhere in the Yucatan peninsula

petie6464

Reaction score
Lol, I can see not many have lived abroad..Let me put it this way those looking at Belize or USVI you best have big, big money and ready to blow it all. Costa Rica your about twenty years late, you're gonna pay top dollar for everything there too and Costa Rica sucks. Nicaragua is a little better but sucks also.

The Kingdom of Thiland. .yep spend a while there too; Biggest problem threre is European perverts and expats mostly on the run from the law state side.
Also easy to loose your mind with women, and ladyboys constantly on you, strictly because they love fat old white slobs. .❤🤣

Last edited:

framer1

Reaction score
Panama, they use US dollars. They have beautiful beaches and they like Americans. Plus the woman there are beautiful having the French and the Americans there helped out a lot. :)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Took a very serious look at Key West before buying in LHC. Homework showed some very serious home insurance costs. Solution, pay cash and roll the dice. But, the summer months can be a serious bitch. Humidity, lots of rain, over cast, Hurricanes, tropical storms and the more frequent tropical waves are to be expected. The winter? IMHO - The best weather in the entire US. Of course the USVIs are similar.
Family in Florida says the home insurance costs are HUGE and very, very picky. as in, roofing has to be top notch and electric panels not only have to comply with basic standards but also the insurance people have to approve them.

Taboma

Reaction score
Easy. Tamarindo, Costa Rica.

Cool little beach town, didn’t want to leave. Got engaged there.

Used to be the hot ticket, was my dream 30 years ago. Subscribed to this newspaper to stay current --- you should to if interested in CR: https://ticotimes.net/

Then CR changed the previous lenient tax laws, those laws allowed you to bring certain personal items, like a car for one, with you if you relocated. Obviously they were attracting American retirees and making it attractive. Then all that stopped, because the unscrupulous were cheating, and bringing in hi-dollar items duty free and selling them for a healthy profit. So they changed the import tax laws.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Belize deserves a serious look.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
There are way too many people from California moving to Northern AZ but that is where I would go. Not too far to Havasu, you can go there when it snows, or you can hit the mountains when it is hot in Havasu.

My .02.

Oh, and I have had the idea of somewhere remote and tropical for a long time. Unfortunately our kids are closing in on marrying age, which means grandkids at some point.

Since my wife figured that out...remote and tropical isn’t a priority any longer, which I completely get.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We're in So. Cal. 30 minutes north of Malibu, 30 minutes south of Santa Barbara. Channel Islands Harbor / Beach.

Like I said, it's a little secret slice of heaven. And like I said, the way Ca is going, I don't see it staying that way forever. Just thinking ahead.

If you find where you live in CA a "little slice of heaven" then, with all due respect, you should stay there.

I think living in California is like swimming in shitty water while keeping your head out of it. If that's paradise then by all means enjoy it

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
If you find where you live in CA a "little slice of heaven" then, with all due respect, you should stay there.

I think living in California is like swimming in shitty water while keeping your head out of it. If that's paradise then by all means enjoy it
:rolleyes:

Broken Record 5-21-12.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I have put some thought into this. There are only a handful of places in the world that have California's climate:

1620351105770.png

Australia is pretty high on my list if I want to be around people.

If I want to disappear its gonna be Chile. Vacant coastline for hundreds of miles and excellent weather.
1620351457173.png

1620351549192.png

1620351700258.png

stoker

Reaction score
Costa Rica didn’t use to have any real crime issues, but then I haven’t been there in 10 years and haven’t researched it. I do recall riding dirt bikes through a small beach town where the sheriff sat in a lawn chair in shorts and a what appeared to be a cowboy revolver. I waved, he waved. Roads were bad, but fun place.

An associate of mine who runs a small private hedge fund moved to Puerto Rico 6 months ago. He moved as an income tax strategy and only plans to live there for 4-5yrs. He seems happy there so far.

Maybe that’s an option, Its not a state but as a US territory it enjoys the association and military protection of the US.
Every house and business has bars over the doors and windows, they even have bars over the a/c units. Beautiful area but never felt safe the time I spent there.

Reactions: DWC

stoker

Reaction score
Panama, they use US dollars. They have beautiful beaches and they like Americans. Plus the woman there are beautiful having the French and the Americans there helped out a lot. :)

what side are you talking about. The Caribbean ot pacific side. Two totally different places.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
All I know is in Costa Rica we had a guard. I was like WTF do we need a guard. I was on the bottom floor. I kept an eye on the security guard all night.....lol

stoker

Reaction score
We have spent a lot of time in Mexico on both the Pacific and Caribbean side along with visits to the inland parts as well. It is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited when it comes to natural beauty. As long as you aren’t a part of the cartel you will be safer there than you will in a lot of dem run cities in the US.

Tank

Reaction score

as stated above. I thinking down the road a few years, things in ca will get worse and if that happens I’d like to have some idea of what’s out there. Thus, this thread.

but for now, absolute slice of heaven. On beach, low crime, small town feel. Little traffic, school a mile away, store a mile away. Friendly middle to upper class people, close nit laid back area. But again I see all of ca sliding down the cliff eventually if leadership doesn’t change. So, just throwing around ideas. But yeah, I’m actually not going anywhere right now. Still want to get a 2nd place in havasu in the near future though and spend more time out there. The difference fromGoing and being in havasu for 12 days during desert storm and then coming back to California was actually shocking and the more time we spend out there (at least once a month now) the more glaring the differences are.

stoker

Reaction score
All I know is in Costa Rica we had a guard. I was like WTF do we need a guard. I was on the bottom floor. I kept an eye on the security guard all night.....lol

like this.

Attachments

• 9418CA1F-C667-43E9-BF83-4380DB8CB93A.jpeg
    9418CA1F-C667-43E9-BF83-4380DB8CB93A.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 129

wallnutz

Reaction score
I would head for the Bahamas, or somewhere in the Caribbean. My only problem would be hurricanes. But if you had a boat you could probably get around them. For the most part your money would be safe in Bahama banks. You could easily live off the land or sea pretty easily if you had to.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
like this.
Wow that’s not a welcoming scene, though there are probably going to be good and bad areas everywhere.

As someone stated above, Tamrindo was the spot for some time. It was like stepping back into early 70’s surf town.

It was shocking how many American ex pats I met down there too. Americans were everywhere. Everyone I talked to seemed to be in an online business. I understand most online gambling, particularly online poker, when that was so hot, was being hosted down there.

I want to visit Chile Argentina and Bolivia. Won’t live in these places, but I’d like to ride my motorcycle through.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
like this.

Not armed but he hung around the pool when the girls were out. I told him to go back around the corner....no need to be front and center at the pool.....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wow that’s not a welcoming scene, though there are probably going to be good and bad areas everywhere.

As someone stated above, Tamrindo was the spot for some time. It was like stepping back into early 70’s surf town.

It was shocking how many American ex pats I met down there too. Americans were everywhere. Everyone I talked to seemed to be in an online business. I understand most online gambling, particularly online poker, when that was so hot, was being hosted down there.

I want to visit Chile Argentina and Bolivia. Won’t live in these places, but I’d like to ride my motorcycle through.

When we were there in Tamrindodo it was "cocaine...maRIJUANA....cocaine...maRIGUANA....." LOL

stoker

Reaction score
Not armed but he hung around the pool when the girls were out. I told him to go back around the corner....no need to be front and center at the pool.....

thats actually El Salvador, total shit hole. Costa Rica is like southern Mexico but way more expensive.

stoker

Reaction score
Haha like I said, 70’s surf town!!

The going price for uncut blow in Costa Rica is 10 bucks a gram. I only know that because I met a couple of Irish tourists who bought some.

Hammer

Reaction score
I have a buddy who dug Costa Rica so much, . He has a 5 year plan to move down there permanently.

Relatively young guy too, he’s 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalton

Reaction score
Too many options.....Thailand could be a good pick, but I think that might be hard on a marriage. Philippines is a decent pick also but same like Thailand with too many horny women running around. Never been to Bali but heard good things.

Europe- over regulated, way too much BS and bad weather for the most part.

Goa India is cool place if you can get over the stigma of it being....India.

Africa deserves a real look if you are that adventurous, Dar Es Salaam Tanzania is a great place. Never been to Accra Ghana, but heard fantastic things.

New Zealand- some democrats moved there when trump got elected.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
IMO, your best bet is a condo/ spot at LOTO and a condo/spot in the keys. Or replace the spot in the keys with a spot at Havasu. There really isn’t a solid one size fits all answer outside of the US. The decent places are $$$$$. You really have the perfect spot in cali, I would keep the current program until retirement and revisit. Unless you’re talking about pulling equity now to plan for the future and want to purchase now.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I've thought about this....and determined that this is still the greatest fucking country on earth. Other places might have their perks, but the downsides far outweigh the upsides.

Tell your wife to calm down and fix you sammich...she lives on the beach in a small area of this world that has the best weather on the planet year 'round. It's kinda hard to improve upon that.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My wife is of Thai decent, and I grew up on Guam, where many choose to disappear to SE Asia or aus/ NZ. NZ is $$$$$$$, aus not far behind. And SE Asia is not the end all- be all unless you marry a local who can own property. And even then there’s a A LOT of red tape involved. Not an easy move unless you have spent time there. Central America has been picked clean. Not really any choices outside of the continental US and select Carribean areas without having BIG money.

motormonkey

Reaction score
Allot of cool places outside this country. BUT it's a big change if you are not used to basic living most places. Allot of places it's not easy to move full time or cheap. You have to prove financial security and still may not be allowed certain services. You might also find that the medical profession isn't the same. Before you tell me how cheap or free medical is in those places, you will find why religion is so big there.LOL.
Tough to say with all that's changing here rapidily, but we still are the best in the world for over all living.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
SW Florida and turn off the news. But Italy is the top of our list for retirement. Look at Abruzzo.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Speaking of guns, and gun ownership, since that seems to be at the top of the "Personal Freedom" list for most here on RDP. I'm not seeing that being included in this discussion of where to relocate, International Edition. 🤔

clarence

Reaction score
Speaking of guns, and gun ownership, since that seems to be at the top of the "Personal Freedom" list for most here on RDP. I'm not seeing that being included in this discussion of where to relocate, International Edition. 🤔

This. Gun ownership is a great shortcut for understanding where you stand relative the local government.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I know you said in a few years, but there is no way I would want my kid to grow up in a lot of the places being suggested. Especially, the poorer countries. Yes you can get them private teachers, but what about friends? What about them being a target because they have "rich" American parents?

With your parameters I would go to Havasu in the winter and go to one of the northern states that have a big lake. Montana or something like that. We have friends that do Florida where we go and the have a lake house on Higgins Lake in northern MI. I am not suggesting Michigan as the politics there suck too, but just an example. They only go to their place from Memorial day to Labor day. Too cold otherwise. That is why we didn't look further north than were we are. We wanted to be able to use the lake for 5+ months as it is just too hot in Florida. Yes it does get hot here, but not until about noon and then we just take the boat out and go in the lake.

Taboma

Reaction score
This. Gun ownership is a great shortcut for understanding where you stand relative the local government.
I know AR's are popular in Mexico, but I think that requires being a member of one of several organizations, that specialize in the import and export business.

dave29

Reaction score
NZ or Aust. Been to both. Have great beaches, people. Like Calif was in the 50's. They speak English which is a plus for any thought of leaving the USA.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
NZ or Aust. Been to both. Have great beaches, people. Like Calif was in the 50's. They speak English which is a plus for any thought of leaving the USA.
This was always my exit if things went real bad, but did you see how they have handled covid? No thanks. I think I'll need to die in the USA.

Tank

Reaction score
IMO, your best bet is a condo/ spot at LOTO and a condo/spot in the keys. Or replace the spot in the keys with a spot at Havasu. There really isn’t a solid one size fits all answer outside of the US. The decent places are $$$$$. You really have the perfect spot in cali, I would keep the current program until retirement and revisit. Unless you’re talking about pulling equity now to plan for the future and want to purchase now.

Yeah, that is a realistic plan. The more I read all these responses the more I feel moving out of the country with kids would not be a good idea at all. Plus, I think you'd want to keep a home base within the US somewhere to keep guns, boats, toys because having that stuff in other countries is really not going to happen for the most part. Basically having a performance boat in any other country is a freakin nightmare. Even in Europe.

We have a place in Hawaii and land in the pan handle of Idaho on Lake Pend O'reille but upper Idaho is only warm for like 3 months of the year. I don't know. I'm thinking like you said. Little house on the water in LOTO and a house down in the keys (not key west though) but maybe Islamorada or Key Largo. Or even up in Ft Myers or Cape Coral. We fell in love with LOTO. The people, the atmosphere, the scenery, the boating, etc. But again, don't want to do winters there. I don't know. Just thinking out loud really. I think first step is getting a place in Havasu. 😁

Tank

Reaction score
I've thought about this....and determined that this is still the greatest fucking country on earth. Other places might have their perks, but the downsides far outweigh the upsides.

Tell your wife to calm down and fix you sammich...she lives on the beach in a small area of this world that has the best weather on the planet year 'round. It's kinda hard to improve upon that.
LOL, it's really actually not her that wants to move. It's me. She just threw out the idea of moving to "paradise". She told me she'd die in the house we're in and will never leave the beach. But as time marches on and we look around we question if it'd be good to cash out, get somewhere that you don't have to worry about shitty schools, ridiculous political policies, out of control cost of living, crowds (not too crowded where we are but drive out of our area and different story, it is So. Cal. still), etc. Just thinking out loud.

nowski

Reaction score
The grass isn't always greener in another country, the only difference may be the flag they fly and their beliefs...

We have a family friend who is currently living in Vegas and will be retiring to Panama before Summers end. He took a Panama relocation tour with Jackie Lange and also mentioned Panama Bob Adams for reference, pretty girls were also a plus in helping him make his decision...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Ambergris Caye in Belize. The main mode of transportation is golf carts. Palapa Bars and restaurants on the water galore. amazing warm waters, fishing, snorkeling, boating. Its a movie flight to Houston, then another movie flight to Belize City. Southwest flies there. A quick trip to the mainland and you are in the rain forest. Drive up to the country and there's pine forests. Tons of affordable land.

DC-88

Reaction score
Wherever you move or travel, don’t sell that beach house. Rent it out or do 30 day rentals so you don’t regret selling it down the road .

HST4ME

Reaction score
Northern Italy is one of the most beautiful places on the planet

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I was thinking about it... It’s actually surprising to see the this thread pop up right as COVID is declining.

Most on RDP are against lockdowns and it seems like a good percentage are against the vaccine.

So all these countries, how do the stand with:

1) Lockdowns
2) Vaccine and V Passport
3) Healthcare

I mentioned BVI earlier. They had their border shut down for around 8 months. They had curfews. When they opened...quarantine on your catamaran for 4ish days in designated coves and two negative tests before you could start going from island to island. Now it’s 12-24 hour quarantine only if you have the vaccine.

Hell someone mentioned Canada. They’ve gone full third reich up there.

All you need is an emergency. Then every government shows their true colors.

In the US, you could travel anywhere the whole time. We bitched because we’re Americans but on a relative scale, we had it a lot better lockdown wise than 99% of countries.

So, the states you mentioned (Florida, Missouri, Idaho) were the most free over the last year. Plus... guns 👍🏻