WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Move out of Country? where to?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is why I wouldn’t even consider Ambregris Cay....... The sea grass that surrounds the island completely sucks ass! It is far from the sandy beaches of other locations. Sure, I’ve had a great time in Belize, renting golf carts, getting drunk at the many bars and restaurants. However, I’ve also been all over the world and know from my own experiences that a beautiful beach is a true luxury and it’s not in Belize. You need foot ware to walk in sea grass. It is awful! You won’t find this problem listed on any tourism brochures....... you have to discover it on your own. Just saying. I know I would not want to own a beachfront home in which it was a pain in the ass to go swimming in front of. That describes Ambergris Cay in a nutshell.

The above is real world experience......

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is an idea that I once read in a retirement magazine....... Rent!

For the same price that is costs to stay a week at a fancy resort, you can usually rent a place, in the same area for a month. ($250 per day for a week is $1750)

If you chose to see the world in 2 month increments, you could see and live in 6 worldwide destinations per year, while still maintaining a home in the US. It is easy to maintain Visas and other time tables, while still being able to freely travel back to US for specific needs.

I don’t want to purchase a place in a foreign country....... I just want to stay there long enough to immerse myself in the local culture...... then move on to the next place on the list. That’s a fun retirement...... to me! After 10 years of this type of travel, you should have seen the world pretty good and you should be able to speak several different languages, just enough to get by! Lol

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Here is an idea that I once read in a retirement magazine....... Rent!

For the same price that is costs to stay a week at a fancy resort, you can usually rent a place, in the same area for a month. ($250 per day for a week is $1750)

If you chose to see the world in 2 month increments, you could see and live in 6 worldwide destinations per year, while still maintaining a home in the US. It is easy to maintain Visas and other time tables, while still being able to freely travel back to US for specific needs.

I don’t want to purchase a place in a foreign country....... I just want to stay there long enough to immerse myself in the local culture...... then move on to the next place on the list. That’s a fun retirement...... to me! After 10 years of this type of travel, you should have seen the world pretty good and you should be able to speak several different languages, just enough to get by! Lol
This is actually an interesting idea. Have a reasonable cost home base here in the US. The reality is that for many of us, we got 10-15 good years after retirement that we can do what we want. on the far end of that, it is more about good medical, easy to move around locally, and near family / friends. My Dad is in this now. He has recently come to the conclusion that he squandered the golden years of his retirement. It actually has him in a real depression right now. He can still do some stuff but is quickly becoming more and more limited. This is a hard reality for most of us.
The wife and I have considered all different options and are still well over a decade out. The reality is that we are solid financially but not ballers. We are living very cost effectively (look at my boat.... ) in order to retire bigger and earlier. We do not short ourselves but we manage what we do. We are all over the board on what we want to do, the only unifying thing is we want to travel. Thinking that it will start international and move more domestic as medical becomes more important.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Our lock down in this province has gotten out of control. They've split the province into three zones. You can't leave your zone into another. A place I've been has communities broken into zones and citizens need permission to leave their zone and enter another. That was Cuba!

I like the Turks and Caicos, but its crazy expensive there. No income tax though. Canada doesn't tax global income. My plan is to retire in central Washington State. No state income tax. I'll probably buy a condo/townhouse in Scottsdale for winter.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Our lock down in this province has gotten out of control. They've split the province into three zones. You can't leave your zone into another. A place I've been has communities broken into zones and citizens need permission to leave their zone and enter another. That was Cuba!

I like the Turks and Caicos, but its crazy expensive there. No income tax though. Canada doesn't tax global income. My plan is to retire in central Washington State. No state income tax. I'll probably buy a condo/townhouse in Scottsdale for winter.

The plandemic is working as intended.

Dalton

Reaction score
I was thinking about it... It’s actually surprising to see the this thread pop up right as COVID is declining.

Most on RDP are against lockdowns and it seems like a good percentage are against the vaccine.

So all these countries, how do the stand with:

1) Lockdowns
2) Vaccine and V Passport
3) Healthcare

I mentioned BVI earlier. They had their border shut down for around 8 months. They had curfews. When they opened...quarantine on your catamaran for 4ish days in designated coves and two negative tests before you could start going from island to island. Now it’s 12-24 hour quarantine only if you have the vaccine.

Hell someone mentioned Canada. They’ve gone full third reich up there.

All you need is an emergency. Then every government shows their true colors.

In the US, you could travel anywhere the whole time. We bitched because we’re Americans but on a relative scale, we had it a lot better lockdown wise than 99% of countries.

So, the states you mentioned (Florida, Missouri, Idaho) were the most free over the last year. Plus... guns [emoji1303]

Tanzania has maintained the most freedom, that’s why I moved there for 3 months during the pandemic, I was sick of masks, lockdowns, and nonsensical restrictions, there is none of that there. It was an amazing feeling sitting normally in a packed restaurant while watching a video on my phone of people getting into a physical altercation over a mask back in the US.

It’s probably the only country you could realistically move to at the moment, besides Mexico and a few other places. Africa is a beast though and probably not the right place for the average person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My neighbor is moving to Thailand in August. He has done a ton of research on this, I can give you his number if you would like

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Stay in touch with him and ask him how that first summer goes

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it would be impossible to beat what you have now so Why move.......
He just needs to take a deep breath and perhaps a lengthy vacation. He lives in a very chill beach town and has for a long ass time so its only natural to start to look for some greener pastures. I just had an affluent couple [late 50s] return after a 3 year run in Argentina. They bought a high end condo in a high rise. Crime drove 'em back to OC beach close. He travels there for business often and was thinking they'd make a run at life there.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Lol, I can see not many have lived abroad..Let me put it this way those looking at Belize or USVI you best have big, big money and ready to blow it all. Costa Rica your about twenty years late, you're gonna pay top dollar for everything there too and Costa Rica sucks. Nicaragua is a little better but sucks also.

The Kingdom of Thiland. .yep spend a while there too; Biggest problem threre is European perverts and expats mostly on the run from the law state side.
Also easy to loose your mind with women, and ladyboys constantly on you, strictly because they love fat old white slobs. .❤🤣
Yup, I see it as Vacation Eyes vs Residents Eyes.... gotta friend who loved living in St Thomas but all her friends got wiped off map in last round of hurricanes.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you find where you live in CA a "little slice of heaven" then, with all due respect, you should stay there.

I think living in California is like swimming in shitty water while keeping your head out of it. If that's paradise then by all means enjoy it

Where he lives is different than anywhere I’ve ever been in California.. small community totally isolated from everywhere else

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We must really like the heat because our month and a half of really hot here in southern Nevada just doesn't seem that bad. We paddleboard, swim in the pool or head to the lake or some place cooler at a higher elevation. Our plan is a place possibly in the Keys or even a great town like Delray Beach to spend winters in and summers here in Vegas. We love summer, late spring and fall here. I guess our heat tolerance is just higher than most people's. Nine months out of the year we have our doors open out to the pool. We sat outside this morning and had breakfast and it was mid 70s. When I lived in Cali near the beach ( for many many years) during this time of the year it was overcast and shitty. I'll take my heat and sun any day.

We have no kids and not much tying us down in terms of jobs or such. We do like being close to my aging parents but other than that, we are a perfect couple to pick up and move.

We have freinds that bought a beautiful place in Aruba and they love it spending half the year there. We loved Aruba but not sure I could live there full time.

Not to be the debbie downer on here but from most of the post I see in this thread nobody has actually lived in any of the places mentioned. I'll tell you this, living somewhere and vacationing somewhere are two totally different aspects. There is a reason so many people have lived in Hawaii, or Costa Rica or Belize etc. And now they live next door to you in Riverside; it's because it rarely works out. If all these beautiful tropical places were that great I'm sure they would be over ran by expats.

If we did leave the country, we liked Belize and Majorca for our style of life, but they have more flaws than the US. America as bad as many think it is is still a great place and my home.

If you want to know about Thailand ask my wife! No thanks to fricken 18 foot snakes and BS like that. You don't see 4" cockroaches at your Hilton when sipping your mai tai. Just an fyi.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Where he lives is different than anywhere I’ve ever been in California.. small community totally isolated from everywhere else
It really is. Its' weird. We have some cool features, on a peninsula with harbor on one side and ocean with Channel Islands on the other. Peninsula also means one way in and out. Not too much tourist stuff so it keeps tourists from flocking. Beach in front of our house is private property so technically we can legally drive golf carts to the waterline. School and stores golf cart ride away. At least 40% of the houses are second / weekend homes so traffic isn't bad. Community is super tight. Laid back area and vibe. Plus the boating to the Channel Islands is amazing, as in you feel you're in a different part of the world when you're out there. We LOVE where we live. We get a lot of people buying second homes from Beverley hills / Brentwood / Hancock Park / Calabasas / etc and they always comment, "we've lived in So. Cal our whole lives and never knew this place was here!" LOL.

We don't really want to leave. I'm just looking down the road when / if things here do eventually turn into the rest of California. Like I said, just thinking out loud and getting perspective from the masses. People keep telling me never sell but if it gets shitty and quality of life goes down, we're out. Like I said, first thing I want to do is buy a house house in Havasu (while keeping ours here). See what happens from there. Maybe that will help my sanity.

But yeah, we really enjoy where we live....for now. I guess you guys are doing a good job talking sense into me. LOL

Some pics of the area we're in now. The black and white pic is actually our house taken in the 20's.

Oh, and Dave, I keep telling you and stacy and the kids are welcome to come back and stay anytime.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
12.png
13.jpg
14.png
15.jpg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you said no to the Bahamas but have you been to the Abacos in the Bahamas? Been their twice bareboating and the wife has said when we are done with California, that's where we're going.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Belize... Maybe too hot...
I looked into that a little.
The way some of the inmates are about snakes and spiders, 😂😂😂
They have a plethora of poisonous snakes, spiders, ants.
Not to mention their brackish water crocks.
Belize is OUT!!😂😂😂

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Any old eastern block country
Two I would pick
Poland
Hungary
Where freedom is becoming the new normal .

I have done some business in Poland. Everyone is stoic. Beautiful women. the fastest growing economy in Europe. One of the most educated countries in europe. Don't mention the war....

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
It really is. Its' weird. We have some cool features, on a peninsula with harbor on one side and ocean with Channel Islands on the other. Peninsula also means one way in and out. Not too much tourist stuff so it keeps tourists from flocking. Beach in front of our house is private property so technically we can legally drive golf carts to the waterline. School and stores golf cart ride away. At least 40% of the houses are second / weekend homes so traffic isn't bad. Community is super tight. Laid back area and vibe. Plus the boating to the Channel Islands is amazing, as in you feel you're in a different part of the world when you're out there. We LOVE where we live. We get a lot of people buying second homes from Beverley hills / Brentwood / Hancock Park / Calabasas / etc and they always comment, "we've lived in So. Cal our whole lives and never knew this place was here!" LOL.

We don't really want to leave. I'm just looking down the road when / if things here do eventually turn into the rest of California. Like I said, just thinking out loud and getting perspective from the masses. People keep telling me never sell but if it gets shitty and quality of life goes down, we're out. Like I said, first thing I want to do is buy a house house in Havasu (while keeping ours here). See what happens from there. Maybe that will help my sanity.

But yeah, we really enjoy where we live....for now. I guess you guys are doing a good job talking sense into me. LOL

Some pics of the area we're in now. The black and white pic is actually our house taken in the 20's.

Oh, and Dave, I keep telling you and stacy and the kids are welcome to come back and stay anytime.

View attachment 1000186 View attachment 1000187 View attachment 1000188 View attachment 1000189 View attachment 1000190 View attachment 1000191 View attachment 1000192 View attachment 1000193 View attachment 1000194 View attachment 1000195 View attachment 1000196
Incredible. Stay as long as you can.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 1000186 View attachment 1000187 View attachment 1000188 View attachment 1000189 View attachment 1000190 View attachment 1000191 View attachment 1000192 View attachment 1000193 View attachment 1000194 View attachment 1000195 View attachment 1000196
Hollywood By The Sea... love that pic..... does that point down towards the Rudder Rooms direction? I'm thinking so based on ocean on right side.

Tank

Reaction score
Hollywood By The Sea... love that pic..... does that point down towards the Rudder Rooms direction? I'm thinking so based on ocean on right side.
Yep. That pic faces south. It’s two blocks from where rudder room is now. The bend in ocean drive is still there. It’s from a serious s of photos taken through the 20’s. Our house is is most.

speaking of rudder room my daighter and son in law are in town and drug is there last night. They opened up Monday for the first time since March of 2020. We don’t go in there much but a visit from time to time is good. 😁
C23B4FFA-01BE-46EF-9506-33A3DEF50A6F.jpeg
F7E2A6F9-5691-422E-BC0B-26E45ADBD7DA.jpeg
DB311409-A07F-4DC1-A506-0AA3A5251704.png
4D42B5AF-ACAE-451E-BEE2-D3E126811975.jpeg
E803A8FE-9B98-4E04-8223-3BC53A9EB10F.jpeg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yep. That pic faces south. It’s two blocks from where rudder room is now. The bend in ocean drive is still there. It’s from a serious s of photos taken through the 20’s. Our house is is most.

speaking of rudder room my daighter and son in law are in town and drug is there last night. They opened up Monday for the first time since March of 2020. We don’t go in there much but a visit from time to time is good. 😁
View attachment 1000442 View attachment 1000443 View attachment 1000446 View attachment 1000447 View attachment 1000448
Good to hear the Rudder opened up. That thing can never die.... somebodies gotta serve those old livers. I bet my ex's pics with her sisters are still taped to the bar wall. Maybe circa 2000 when they were there playing volleyball out front in Christmas bathing suites. Her oldest sister was a fixture at that bar. Lots of "fixtures" at the Rudder lol. Good to hear you're not one ole buddy.