WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

MRI

Flat freak

Reaction score
I had to go in head first on my last MRI. I started to get a little freaked about half way through. I rolled my head back as far as I could ,I could then see the ceiling tiles in the room and that changed everything for me. The rest was a piece of cake.

gqchris

Reaction score
I had one a few years ago for my back, I was in there for about 45 minutes, all the buzzing and clanking, even with the earplugs it's still pretty loud. At about 30 minutes in it started to get warm and that's when I started to get anxious, they told me about another 15 minutes and they were the longest 15 minutes in my life. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Like you say, some sort of ventilation to keep it cool in there would work wonders for those who are not wild about closed in spaces.
Same exact experience. Had one on my lower back. I felt like my lower back was being lit on fire. Im not claustrophobic either, but the mind fuck of not being able to move is next level.

The absolute worse was this nuclear heart test I had where you have to stand still. 45 mins. And if you move your fingers, it starts over. Wtf! I dont know how i made it thru that. Your mind starts playing tricks!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ll be been in a few open ones no problem, Sunday morning i was in a closed one, that was a been different, but i had some dam good drugs going through the iv so i made it through it lol.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I felt like I couldn't get any air

Be sure to ask if the blower fan is on. You should feel the breeze.

The Valium will help regulate your breathing. Take both pills about 30 minutes before your exam. 😏

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@beerrun , I've had quite a few, without contrast, then getting shot up and starting again... Mine have all been skull and spine. Shoulders rubbing, feeling like the machine's touching your nose, warm air and noise...
My first ones weren't bad, I was too messed up to care...they could have been loading me in a torpedo tube.
The later ones were harsh, I didn't feel broken anymore...

I don't know what your work schedule is like, or your sleep schedule. If you do morning runs, see if you can do it at the end of day. You can also do sleep deprivation. If a doctor won't prescribe anything, take two Benedryl a half hour before...between those and being tired, you'll pass out. Another thing that helps, a cold damp towel over your feet and shins. A cold damp washcloth over your eyes and forehead helps a lot, but may not be allowed depending on what they need to image.

buck35

Reaction score
I always shut my eyes tight before the cage comes over my face and don’t open them until done. Music and earplugs really helps.

red ant

Reaction score
Had an MRI years ago. The tech placed a fan to blow air in on my face. Also played Pandora -my choice of music piped into the tube. I was in there for over 1 hr. These small things really helped. I think it is like everything now days.....no one goes out of their way to improve the situation.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Best of luck to you on the open machine. If you don’t get assistance to make you comfortable then might be good to find another place.

Wife has to do her head every 6 months. She takes a pill to make her relax. Then she asks for music to be played. When she had them done at UCSF they were very accommodating. If you don’t like the MRI be thankful you don’t have to do radiation every day for 6 weeks and have to wear this……

00E1EDE9-99C5-46DB-915F-F4EA13E3A870.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Best of luck to you on the open machine. If you don’t get assistance to make you comfortable then might be good to find another place.

Wife has to do her head every 6 months. She takes a pill to make her relax. Then she asks for music to be played. When she had them done at UCSF they were very accommodating. If you don’t like the MRI be thankful you don’t have to do radiation every day for 6 weeks and have to wear this……

View attachment 1147262
As weird as that seems, it beats the options. When my Mom was having radiation, they tattooed a "target" dot on her. Line the laser pointer up to the dot, and leave the room. Very sci-fi...or James Bond strapped to the table with the laser ready to cut him in half...

The radiologist had no sense of humor about that 😂

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I had an MRI this morning they said because I had my back and both shoulders I would be in the machine an hour and a half. I have never been closterphobic but the second they put me in I lost my shit couldn't breathe I think if they blew fresh air in your face while in the machine it might be better but idk. So they canceled my test and have to reschedule for an open MRI i really don't see it being any better anyone have experience will it be better?
As an CT/MRI mechanic in a previous life, I can tell you the best thing to do is close your eyes and keep them closed. There is air being circulated in the bore, but fans will interfere with the images. I always ask for oxygen. It helps to ease the "can't breath" paranoia.

90 minutes seems like a long time for a single exam. The noises you will hear are a variety of pulses, and switching noises from the RF (radio frequency) injection system. The magnet aligns your water molecules (a dipole molecule) to the north pole of the magnet and then they pump RF in to move those molecules in different directions and measure the "return to north" magnetic field changes.

The open magnets are OK but the images are not as good as the tube.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
They make you go in head first? Why can't it be feet first?!?!

That is a function of the coils that are attached for shoulders and back work. The connection point for those are located in the doghouse that drags the bed into the bore. For the most part you are correct it doesn't matter, except when it does.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

If they could sent you feet first they will. Head/ neck and shoulders will always be head first. Anything below the belly button is usually feet first( knees, pelvis, foot)

buck35

Reaction score

View attachment 1147262
Hey, I have one as well

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
As an CT/MRI mechanic in a previous life, I can tell you the best thing to do is close your eyes and keep them closed. There is air being circulated in the bore, but fans will interfere with the images. I always ask for oxygen. It helps to ease the "can't breath" paranoia.

90 minutes seems like a long time for a single exam. The noises you will hear are a variety of pulses, and switching noises from the RF (radio frequency) injection system. The magnet aligns your water molecules (a dipole molecule) to the north pole of the magnet and then they pump RF in to move those molecules in different directions and measure the "return to north" magnetic field changes.

The open magnets are OK but the images are not as good as the tube.

So please explain...

The NOISE isn't being produced be a physical activity??

Would really like to know more about this!!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Me too, as I'm have my fourth this year after a brain tumor. No fun for sure and an hour each go arounnd next month .
Sorry to hear the news. I hope that things are going in the right direction for you.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
So far so good, but their concern with the testing so frequently is a bit disconcerting. I do immunotherapy every six weeks, today was it . It is was it is I guess.
Good to hear things are going well. It has been 3 years for the wife and times it can be tough. She had her’s removed and the genetic make up was an astrocytome(sp). Things are good most of the time but it kind of gets her tired mid day.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
On a side note.

Just saw on Sunday morning that the inventor of the MRI, Raymond Damadian died.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

You are gonna end up inside the tube just the same weather you go in head first or feet first. It really makes no difference.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Like a prostate biopsy?
No, thats more of a transurethral resection, and thats general anesthesia.

Cystoscopy, they shove a sharpie pen sized camera up your dick hole and look around your bladder.

500bbc

Reaction score
No, thats more of a transurethral resection, and thats general anesthesia.

Cystoscopy, they shove a sharpie pen sized camera up your dick hole and look around your bladder.
I looked it up after I posted, no walk in the park.😬
Prostate biopsy they shoot twelve core sample darts into your prostate, no general, no local, no warning.😬

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I looked it up after I posted, no walk in the park.😬
Prostate biopsy they shoot twelve core sample darts into your prostate, no general, no local, no warning.😬
Sounds like how you catch monkey pox.

transurethral resection is a walk in the park, it’s the next week of excruciating burn every time you pee and the constant state of urgency thar sucks.

dave29

Reaction score

View attachment 1147262
I had to use one of those except mine also covered my shoulders. They formed it, put it on me then fastened it dow. I freaked and told the radiologist no way!!
He prescribed Lorazepam so the next visit was tolerable. Had three weeks worth.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I had to use one of those except mine also covered my shoulders. They formed it, put it on me then fastened it dow. I freaked and told the radiologist no way!!
He prescribed Lorazepam so the next visit was tolerable. Had three weeks worth.
That is what the wife uses as well. 👍 I hope that all is well with you as well.

Last edited:

endobear

Reaction score
Had my knee mri today. Ear plugs and some joe rogan on the headphones. Piece of cake but I was inly in neck deep. Worst part was the pain keeping my leg straight for 25 minutes.

Mike K

Reaction score
Xanax … full pill 45 minutes before … or forget it.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I had a PET/CT on Monday, did the review with my medical oncologist an hour or so ago. Luckily I have no issues going thru the torus, I've actually fallen asleep a couple of times listening to the dull drone of the equipment. Twice I've had to repeat portions of the scan because I've moved a bit while falling asleep. The tech was not amused and has learned to put on a bit "harsher" music than is normally played during the trip. :) Suits me fine.

beerrun

Reaction score
I'm here for a 5 appointment now they are saying 530 took my valum at 4 hope it last the whole time they are expecting 1 1/2 hours in the machine

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
These stories are all great. As a bio-med person it fits me.

MRI with contrast was incredible… all those pre-med years and actually feeling your circulatory system work and move around the warm contrast.

Open heart surgery MRI’s -I didn’t panic surprisingly.

The funny one for the RDP folks was a pre-surgery exam before they opened my chest.

Ya see, they wanted to look at the back of the heart (it was f#cked). To do so they dope you up with conscious sedation and you need to be swallow a probe so they look at the backside of your heart (and don’t remember sh!t after). Well this little Asian lady hits me with the juice. Keeps on asking how I’m doing. Nothing. Doc pokes his head in and she says “not ready”. So she hits me with more (on an IV). Doc comes back still nothing. I haven’t blacked out yet. Waiting. Got talking about how much can you drink? I joke, well we go to the river and can take down a case in a day. Doc comes back in. Nothing. By now he’s kind of pissed because I was supposed to be out by now and holding up the line. He says double it (again). Comes back and I’m still “awake”. After that, the last thing I remember is him being pissy and saying I’m going to watch you double it again while I wait.

“Woke” up being carted to the car.

Funny sh!t when we met to go over the results and he was not happy about not clocking out. I’m not a big guy.

He made me get my liver checked.