WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

MS flight sim 2020

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've had every version of Microsoft flight sim. Had my first one in 1982. The latest version came out and all I have to say is awesome.

The graphics are as good as the trailer.

Wbinder

Reaction score
Do you use Xbox or pc? I have neither but want to get this simulator program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Driver

Reaction score
Timley. I know nothing but my son is taking flight leasons and wants this.

So whats the decent set up. ie laptop vs desk, what accessories needed.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Home computer flight simulators have come long way since my Dad showed me one of the first ones in 1983, it was literally just a bunch of green lines on the screen.

hallett21

Reaction score
I haven’t played since version X. Love flight simulator!

nameisbond

Reaction score
I have a PC, but don't know the specs. The game needs pretty high spec graphics. It blows the last version X away in graphics. I flew around Wenatchee, WA, cause of having property there. It looks like you are flying there. The graphics are very impressive because it uses Bing maps. So building like malls are in the correct spots, etc.

nameisbond

Reaction score

hallett21

Reaction score
Do they still have the online system as well?

buck35

Reaction score
I have a PC, but don't know the specs. The game needs pretty high spec graphics. It blows the last version X away in graphics. I flew around Wenatchee, WA, cause of having property there. It looks like you are flying there. The graphics are very impressive because it uses Bing maps. So building like malls are in the correct spots, etc.
Hey ya didn't even wave when you flew over....

nameisbond

Reaction score
Hey ya didn't even wave when you flew over....

Next time.............. Since it uses Bing maps, the roads, etc are very detailed. It even has our dirt road going up the hill. Our buildings are in the correct spot, etc. Even the high school and hospital look correct.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
This is pretty funny...

An innocent typo led to a giant 212-story obelisk in Microsoft Flight Simulator
It was only supposed to be two stories high

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 9.18.51 AM.png

nameisbond

Reaction score
I so want to build a PC to run this. Looks so amazing. I want to be able to run it full power and see all the scenery etc!

My desktop PC is only two years old and has pretty high end specs. Biggest graphics card NIVIDIA made at the time. On maxed out graphics settings in the game, its a little choppy but livable.

@buck35 will now the Cascade Auto Center, its in the game.

I've also tested in Cienfuegos Cuba. My brother lived there. Showed him and he was impressed with the detail there.

attitude

Reaction score
I so want to build a PC to run this. Looks so amazing. I want to be able to run it full power and see all the scenery etc!
Same here, I think I’m going to wait until the new Xbox comes out to see how well optimized it is on there before I spend 2-3 times the amount on a pc build. I am worried there won’t be any sticks or yokes available for the Xbox though.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

So you need a beefy PC. From what I've heard this is almost the Crysis of Flight Sims. I've seen a review that had a top Intel Core i7, GeForce 2080, and a fast PCIe NVME SSD and he would still get low framerates as soon as he got up in the sky. That SSD type is fairly critical too, there are a ton of game assets to load.

And you definately need the full flight sim control hardware, HOTAS or wheel and pedals.

Also you're looking at 100GB install size, so that SSD needs to be big.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The joystick I want is sold out. I do have a little frame rate performance hit when graphics set to max. So I'm going to upgrade my graphics card when picking up the joystick............

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I am very interested as well. I am awaiting the back half of my sim racing chassis to be back in stock, and then I am going all in on the 49" ultra wide monitor, and will build a pc to run iracing. With all the horsepower there for that, this seems like an awesome addition of a whole other sort of fun. By the way, they make chassis as well for flight simulation as well as racing sim, in case you all need to waste more money like I am about to :)

RCDave

Reaction score
I was really into the original flight sim package. Really fun. I have to get this one.

nameisbond

Reaction score
One of the things I like about Microsoft flight sim and its been this way since FS98. Is individual developers design planes to insert in the game you can fly. Lots of developers release these planes for free. site for downloading planes and scenery: https://simviation.com/1/front-page I can't wait until people design planes to fly in this newest version.

gqchris

Reaction score
Just ordered a new build rig from Amazon last night. Got the MB, Rayzen 9 processor, Ram and SSD. Just need to decide on a graphics card. I aint spending 1k on a damn card! LOL....what are you guys looking at?

hallett21

Reaction score
Just ordered a new build rig from Amazon last night. Got the MB, Rayzen 9 processor, Ram and SSD. Just need to decide on a graphics card. I aint spending 1k on a damn card! LOL....what are you guys looking at?
Ok so i need to get a PC.

Im typing on a MacBook Air.

Is this a 1000-1500 purchase?

Planning on joystick, premium FS2020 and a computer that could run the graphics.

attitude

Reaction score
Ok so i need to get a PC.

Im typing on a MacBook Air.

Is this a 1000-1500 purchase?

Planning on joystick, premium FS2020 and a computer that could run the graphics.
I’m not a PC guy but from what I’ve seen your looking around 2,000 to be able to run FS 2020 on ultra settings

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Looks badass! Last time I used a flight simulator was when Google did their satellite version of maps. Before that was a Microsoft deal from the 90's that was so pixelated in the urban areas and had blank desert past Berdoo. It felt like a total rip off.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

It was super helpful for me, cheap seat time.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
How does this stack up to Xplane?

MSFS for eye candy, Xplane if you like a better flight model (it "flies" better).

I have older versions of both on my desktop, Xplane is a better sim. I use them as procedure trainers to maintain proficiency.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Unless he's flying a Cirrus or the like Skip the joystick and get him one of these:

As was said, this software is graphics heavy so you'll want a desk top that can handle it with all the sliders set on kill. If he is willing to do without as much eye candy a lower performance box will work.

I found, over the years, that each successive release of MSFS is built for the bleeding edge of the available hardware. There has been a 10 year hiatus but it appears that rule is still in effect..

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
MSFS for eye candy, Xplane if you like a better flight model (it "flies" better).

I have older versions of both on my desktop, Xplane is a better sim. I use them as procedure trainers to maintain proficiency.

Do you have a fully working and signed off SIM by your local FSDO? My DPE said that it is possible to build one at home that can be used to actually log time / approaches for currency. My last simulator experience was close to 35 years ago but think I am going to build a Cirrus SIM including the GTN 650s if I do it. Only issue is I am not sure if I can find a MFD / PFD for avidyne - only perspective.

nameisbond

Reaction score

MSFS now has new flight models system. So it flies much more realistic too.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Do you have a fully working and signed off SIM by your local FSDO? My DPE said that it is possible to build one at home that can be used to actually log time / approaches for currency. My last simulator experience was close to 35 years ago but think I am going to build a Cirrus SIM including the GTN 650s if I do it. Only issue is I am not sure if I can find a MFD / PFD for avidyne - only perspective.

No I don't. Been pricing them out and with all the bells and whistles I'm in for about $7k. Might as well buy a Redbird at that point.

So I can't log any time but it keeps up the routines and such for instrument flying.

Reactions: SJP

attitude

Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new card. Thinking this https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...ntus-oc-edition-8gb-gddr6-video-card/14419425 but its sold out and I'll likely get this https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-super-xc-ultra-8gb-gddr6-video-card/14119080 all the 8gb cards here are $600 to $700 bucks. A few are $1k.

Thanks just picked up this at Best Buy, was cheapest I could find. Lots of scalpers on Amazon taking advantage of everyone building systems. Its amazing how many people are into this! This will go in my Ryzen 9 build

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Scalping for sure on Amazon, same on on car racing sim stuff. Peripheral hardware (wheels, pedals, rig, etc) as well hard computer hardware to build the PC all had a run on them with tons of people getting into "virtual" hobbies in 2020. I am still awaiting things to come back in stock to finish up my "decent" sim rig I want to complete.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Back around 2003 I was working as a flight instructor full time. A kid came in with his parents looking to take his first lesson to see if it was something he wanted to pursue. He told me he had taken all the flight lessons on MS FlightSim, which I just blew off in the moment. I was truly impressed when we got in the air. He was a lot more prepared than I would have guessed. I'd say it is a very worthy investment to get some experience.

Pinball

Reaction score
Besides the software, how much are we talking for hardware? Yoke, pedals and whatever else? I imagine you could spend thousands, but how much for something that’s not junk?

nameisbond

Reaction score
I read somewhere that with the real world weather in the game. People flew into the hurricanes this week. Wish I thought of that.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I read somewhere that with the real world weather in the game. People flew into the hurricanes this week. Wish I thought of that.
Yep. Watched one last night on youtube. Pretty crazy how a game can do that now.

gqchris

Reaction score
Besides the software, how much are we talking for hardware? Yoke, pedals and whatever else? I imagine you could spend thousands, but how much for something that’s not junk?

Id say a safe estimate is about 2k if you build it yourself. The Yoke and Peddle right now are out of stock everywhere, so I have been flying with my PS4 controller.

Some people are selling the 200 yokes for 800 bucks. No thanks!

gqchris

Reaction score
What’s your set up? Looks awesome.

I imagine one of those 49” ultra wide monitors would be the ticket for something like this.

Thanks sir! I just built a new PC, Ryzen 9 Processor, GTX 2700 Super Card, 64GB Ram. Dual Monitors, 27" Dell.

Yes I wish I could afford/justify one of those huge wraparound monitors to avoid the bezel line in middle. That wold be choice. But I cant work on one of those, and this is my daily work PC also. LOL.....I fly with just one monitor also and its just fine.