WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Muscle cars 60,s vs today’s

69hondo

Reaction score
I think the cars today make so much power its crazy. But nothing beats the sound of a healthy old V8. This hasent been out of the garage in at least two years. It gets started every few months but thats it. Daughter keeps trying to talk us into a new camaro for her. I just dont like the way they sound.

facebook_1562687784707.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I think the cars today make so much power its crazy. But nothing beats the sound of a healthy old V8. This hasent been out of the garage in at least two years. It gets started every few months but thats it. Daughter keeps trying to talk us into a new camaro for her. I just dont like the way they sound.

View attachment 921388

That's a nice looking Vel!

Yeah, many of the new cars sound like shit. I think they just delete the mufflers most of the time. Popping, crackling raspy sounding and usually matched up with a sleepy smooth idle.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The early ones were for real.
Mine was brutal.
The ‘71, imo, was the epitome of that body style. Those evil slit tail lights and flat grill.
Just a wicked looking ride with the right stance.
Mine had an earlier 340 out of a 340 square body dart, 4 speed with V shifter, 8 3/4 posi.
Shag carpet, side pipes, air shocks, and a Chevelle/ Camaro killer.
I Paid $500 for it on the Air Force base when a poor GI’s mom sold it to me...I was 16 and bagging groceries after school at the commissary.
That car was bad ass.
The kids at my school were rich. The mayors son, newspaper owners son, all the lawyers and lobbyists and old money all lived by rhe HS they bussed us to.
We were the army jacket wearing stoners bussed in from the base that ranked even lower than the civilian poor kids. Lol
They were all cool kids though. My Duster was the primered pile of junk compared to their new Z28’s and chevelles!
But that car would and did take out all but a very few of them. It was the Big Block killer.
Then again, I’d wring it out without hesitation.
Theyd get in trouble if they broke their cars! Lol
Nice!!
My buddy @Dave Wettlaufer picked up a 69 340 Swinger back in 89-90 or so. Dark green with a white Swinger stripe across the ass end.
All original 340/4, 3.91 rear gear in the 8 3/4
An original Scat Pack car.
It was a fun car when he got it.
He added headers, an intake and a Clay Smith solid lifter cam in it, and it was scary fast😂
He still has it👍

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one is a 1969 Mustang Boss 429 fan!?! If if remember correctly they only made around 600 of them, and they were wicked....the almost answer to the ZL1 Camaros.

My Brother had a 69 Boss 429, they made under 500 I think it was 489 or something like that in 69 and 70. They were grossly under cammed for insurance reasons just like the 454 and the 426. This thing was designed to run at 7k all day long, a tennis ball fits inside the intake port. The one we had in a flat bottom would run at 5k all day long if you wanted it to and the motor wasn't working at all.

My Brother got his when he was a Junior in High School (1970) J&D Corvette in Bellflower had it on their lot because the original owner didn't like the way it drove, some kids stole it and crashed it over in Santa Fe Springs. (rear quarter dented and stuck something thru the radiator) a Friend of a Friend tells my Dad and My Brother had the cash and he brought it home. They put a cam in the motor, relocated a rear shock mount to fit 10" tires under it and he ran a flat 12 second quarter in 70 with it. The car was pretty bitchen and of course I am biased because it was my Big Brothers car but interior was perfect, and if was freaking noisy.

Unfortunately due to the crash in 2008 he had to sell it, 35,000 miles on it, went to a collector in Pennsylvania, my brother delivered it for him.

There is a guy in Signal Hill with a gorgeous one, I have seen him on the freeway and also saw the car at Vet Stadium one morning. I actually got a little disappointed as this $100k plus car was sitting there with the hood up and not a sole was looking at it, there was a group of guys (teens to early twenty's) all gathered around some shit box talking about how cool it was. I actually walked up to them and asked if they knew where the owner of the Mustang was and ten asked if they knew what that car was... no clue from anyone them... I had one of them google it and they all migrated over to look at the Mustang.

Some crappy flip phone pics from back in the day... Vintage Acell yellow coil and plug wires, this thing really was a time capsule. I even think those are Good Year
Poly Glass tires. He moved to Norco in 86' and car wasn't driven much before that and then it didn't hit the streets again until my Nephew got him going on it 2002??

poly glas
ENGINE 2.jpg
HEADS.jpg
REAR.jpg
SIDE.jpg

Last edited:

Baja 252

Reaction score
Bought a 69 Boss 302 in 1975, my senior year. $1,500 was big bucks back then. Not fast by today’s standards, but kept up with most of my friends big blocks.
Good times
IMG_8277.jpg

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

I know everyone loves the 454's, LS6's in particular, but that 427 was so bad ass without the same legacy for some reason. And god bless stall converter technology which lets me run a way bigger cam than you should in a small block street car, converters don't just help at the track peeps, they make driving around town much less "eventful" :). Freeways sucks, but freeways always suck if you are doing it right.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Nice!!
My buddy @Dave Wettlaufer picked up a 69 340 Swinger back in 89-90 or so. Dark green with a white Swinger stripe across the ass end.
All original 340/4, 3.91 rear gear in the 8 3/4
An original Scat Pack car.
It was a fun car when he got it.
He added headers, an intake and a Clay Smith solid lifter cam in it, and it was scary fast😂
He still has it👍

As a teenager I always loved the Pontiac GTO. I still love them.
Well I finally got a 67 GTO before I retired from the Department of Defense about five years ago.
It is a numbers matching vehicle with original VIN plate. The goat previously spent all of its life in Tucson.
The goat came from Fremont Ca with factory 400, Munci 21 close ratio 4 speed, posi rear end, AC, power steering and power front disc brakes.
I had the vinyl top removed and a fresh coat of Montreaux Blue paint sprayed on the goat.
I added a different carb/intake manifold. I also added a Gear Vendor over drive.
I don't feel the Goat is worthy of going over the block at Barrett Jackson but I really don't care.
It is not the fastest car on the road but again I don't care. :)
It is a fun car to drive and it still turns heads.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My first real memories of going fast were in my uncles built 67 Nova SS in 1968 and my brothers friends 65 Falcon in 1970. He was from Indian and introduced me to the Jackson 5 on 8 track. He had some 6x9's in that think that sounded amazing to me.
Some that I had were a 72 Monte Carlo with the rare 454. A 65 all original 283 Nova I bought from the original owner in 76. A 67 Chevelle SS that was converted to a SB for some reason. A 68 327 all original Camaro and to be honest at age 62 hands down the performance, comfort and luxury of my current CTS-V.

BONER

Reaction score
Even though today's cars are so much better, I consider it entertainment to ruin guys days (nights) with my 66 sleeper. A guy in a new Z06 pulled in to a Circle K after I hurt his feelings. Just had to know...

You should see the look on their faces when they pull their helmet off after they saw nothing but tailgate:

I had a Nitrous Nova on a tiny 275 Nitto that would bust up liter bikes up from a dig too Lol. @Blackmagic94 filmed this one:

spectras only

Reaction score
Well, there were some fast cars in the 60's, and this one gets my vote. I'd love to have it and dissect it to find out what really has been done to it. 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 ;)

"One of the most egregious cases of this practice involved a certain 421-cubic-inch 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 that appeared in our March 1965 issue. Capable of demolishing the zero-to-60-mph measure in a blazing 3.9 seconds, that particular Catalina, we openly revealed, had been “properly set up” by famed tuner Royal Pontiac. "
That Pontiac may be a "ringer" (and the article made blatant mention of that fact), but its still pretty impressive to get a 4400 lb barge that is the 2+2 to break 4 seconds 0-60, without forced induction, without NO2, and basically all stock (albeit modified) heads, intake & carb.
That's as fast as my 99 Viper GTS in stock form. I got 4:10 in the Viper, but never took it to the dragstrip to find out how quick it really is. I'm more of a road warrior than a dragstrip guy. However, I did dragrace my buddies Vettes in the 70's in my 68 Charger 383/ 727 auto and my 72 Challenger 340 Hurst 4 spd.👍

Little bit of tinkering involving factory techs monkey wrench a car for publicity is real. We had a ZL1 Camaro heavy elephant ran 2:12 sec at Area27, driven by none other than Randy Pobst. That's as fast as 1200 lbs Formula Fords or Formula BMW's at our track.

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I saw a C2 Corvette at the grocery store the other day. Not sure the year, but it wasn't a big block. Had side pipes. When fired up, it sounded awesome. Don't get that sound with modern cars.

spectras only

Reaction score
Women find Porsche 911 to be cute and no wonder, since it was born from the VW beetle
If they only knew the things a 911 turbo does .:p This would be a great siggy for some Porsche lovers here.

The Porsches today with all the nannies annihilate the competition with the right drivers.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well, there were some fast cars in the 60's, and this one gets my vote. I'd love to have it and dissect it to find out what really has been done to it. 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 ;)

"One of the most egregious cases of this practice involved a certain 421-cubic-inch 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 that appeared in our March 1965 issue. Capable of demolishing the zero-to-60-mph measure in a blazing 3.9 seconds, that particular Catalina, we openly revealed, had been “properly set up” by famed tuner Royal Pontiac. "
That Pontiac may be a "ringer" (and the article made blatant mention of that fact), but its still pretty impressive to get a 4400 lb barge that is the 2+2 to break 4 seconds 0-60, without forced induction, without NO2, and basically all stock (albeit modified) heads, intake & carb.
That's as fast as my 99 Viper GTS in stock form. I got 4:10 in the Viper, but never took it to the dragstrip to find out how quick it really is. I'm more of a road warrior than a dragstrip guy. However, I did dragrace my buddies Vettes in the 70's in my 68 Charger 383/ 727 auto and my 72 Challenger 340 Hurst 4 spd.👍

Little bit of tinkering involving factory techs monkey wrench a car for publicity is real. We had a ZL1 Camaro heavy elephant ran 2:12 sec at Area27, driven by none other than Randy Pobst. That's as fast as 1200 lbs Formula Fords or Formula BMW's at our track.

I've been reading and shaking my head over that 0-60 Time for that big 2+2 Catalina ever since I read the original article. I recall that 4,400 Lb car being the fasest 0-60 time on record for many many years and not by a little either. Sure they were a muscle cruiser, but they were friggin huge too.
Anyway, sure enjoyed re-reading that article, thanks !!

You sure wouldn't see this comment in any modern car rag :oops: ---- Loved it 👍👍👍 😂

Ferrari woman vs Pontiac woman.JPG

boatpi

Reaction score
Now those cars would do 13 second 1/4 mile bone stock. Now , Lambo's although are NOT drag racers, do 1/4 mile in 10's.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have a C2 1967 Stingray. Not a drag car but all original matching #s. My wife cannot physically drive the car. She could not push down the clutch and is not strong enough to safely turn it without power steering. The car is awesome and I love to drive it for short stints and we love cruising in it. By all means a new 911 will crush it performance wise. Everytime I drive my C2 it gets a lot of attention. When I drive our 911 it is just a socal daily driver (albeit a nice one) to the general public.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
View attachment 940469

That's a great looking Mustang! 👍👍
Please post more pix.

Yesterday I was thinking where to sell my '69 project but after seeing your car it makes me think twice.

got it around labor day. the only f word year i like.
its for the woman but i think i might keep it and give her the 68 camaro..lol
the guy needed to sell it for financial reasons.. made me promise to offer it back if we sell it.. dont think going to sell it at all..
its a pretty clean car with lots into it..
has 351w with trickflow heads and newer 5speed .wilwood brakes and so on..
haven't been able to confirm but was told it belonged to tito ortiz when it used to be white. not that would add any value to it..

Attachments

• 69 stang 6.jpg
    69 stang 6.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 69 stang 4.jpg
    69 stang 4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 69 stang 1.jpg
    69 stang 1.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 161

merc_400r

Reaction score
60's and 70's cars are cool but you can't compare them to new stuff. Your talking 50 years of advancement. New cars will blow them away, get better mpg, be a lot safer, and be more comfortable doing it.

rrrr

Reaction score

Those Catalinas were fast and beautiful. The renegades at Pontiac like John DeLorean also built some great drag racing machines in the early 60s.

ssc

Reaction score
I was a pontiac fanatic back in the 70's. My first car was a 73 formula 455 with ram air. I sure remember the stories about that catalina running sub 4 second 0-60. I frankly didn't believe it. I was at H-O Racing specialties in Lawndale in 76 or 77 and the catalina issue was discussed. I was just a teen, but listened to the older guys talk and according to a few of them, it never happened. If you are a pontiac fan you know who H-O racing is and who the folks were and they knew pontiacs. I remember calling a guy in New York with some questions. I think his name was Nunzi or something like that.

I built that car and raced it. I lost my license for a "Speed Contest" ticket. I threw a rod and ended up rebuilding it. I recall rebuilding my Holley and taking the car out for a run on thanksgiving. Was running a 3.08 gear and was running up the Glendale freeway doing around 135. Got off the freeway and was two blocks away at a red light when a CHP pulled me over. Nice guy. We got to talking and he asked me, "Didn't you see me back there? You were pulling away from me like crazy. I would never have caught you if you didn't get off the freeway." My response was, "If I had seen you, You would have never caught me." We both got a good laugh and he wrote me up for 67. It helped that I still had an old field notepad from the Fed enforcement agency that I did an internship with.

Sold it when I was in law school. It just wasn't the type of vehicle to sit in LA traffic. Mostly drove my first ex-wifes car. I did buy another formula, left it bone stock and just enjoyed it. 1970 formulas 400. Had my share of other pony cars including a Z-28 and SS camaro. Also had a GT mustang. For some reason I never got the bug for a vette.

Cheers, Steve

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I don't think those Ponchos got the recognition they should have. Maybe that's what made them what they were.
A Friend still has his Ram Air iv or sixteen or whatever those heads were Firebird.
I remember him taking it to the track after he opened it up and had our friend that worked at VHS do the heads and made some other changes. Told them it was mostly stock and they let him run. He peeled off a mid hi 10 sec pass. Man were they pissed, chased him out of the track.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread and love all the pictures and cars!

I had a number of fast muscle cars over my years to include a 66 Nova that ran low 8's in street dress and can say that they really cannot be compared to current supercars in the total experience of sights and sounds, and shear violence in the way power comes on. I have had a couple Twin Turbo Porsches and currently a 488 which will run low 10's and they feel nothing like the high 10 second Fairlane I had. Fairlane on slicks was a handful to drive and keep straight and launched very hard. These new cars are so effortless in how they drive and smooth in how they deliver power. And the computer does it all for you.... The launch and traction control makes it feel slow by comparison, you look down and you are doing 140 MPH like it was nothing. Still fun but not the same for sure.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread and love all the pictures and cars!

I had a number of fast muscle cars over my years to include a 66 Nova that ran low 8's in street dress and can say that they really cannot be compared to current supercars in the total experience of sights and sounds, and shear violence in the way power comes on. I have had a couple Twin Turbo Porsches and currently a 488 which will run low 10's and they feel nothing like the high 10 second Fairlane I had. Fairlane on slicks was a handful to drive and keep straight and launched very hard. These new cars are so effortless in how they drive and smooth in how they deliver power. And the computer does it all for you.... The launch and traction control makes it feel slow by comparison, you look down and you are doing 140 MPH like it was nothing. Still fun but not the same for sure.
Ask Ron about his Firebird sometime.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have had a couple Twin Turbo Porsches and currently a 488 which will run low 10's and they feel nothing like the high 10 second Fairlane I had. Fairlane on slicks was a handful to drive and keep straight and launched very hard. These new cars are so effortless in how they drive and smooth in how they deliver power. And the computer does it all for you.... The launch and traction control makes it feel slow by comparison, you look down and you are doing 140 MPH like it was nothing. Still fun but not the same for sure.

In the 70s, it took real skill (and some clackers) to run 10 second ETs in a door slammer. There was a reason the NHRA required roll bars and then roll cages in cars running those ETs back then.

Last edited:

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
60's and 70's cars are cool but you can't compare them to new stuff. Your talking 50 years of advancement. New cars will blow them away, get better mpg, be a lot safer, and be more comfortable doing it.

Gas is cheap, safety is relevant, comfort is subjective, until you have experienced the brutality of a 64 T Bolt and the crying of a Demon owner you just haven't lived

squeezer

Reaction score
Even though today's cars are so much better, I consider it entertainment to ruin guys days (nights) with my 66 sleeper. A guy in a new Z06 pulled in to a Circle K after I hurt his feelings. Just had to know...

Did you actually call that car a "Sleeper"....???

Would like to see what an over the top build looks like to you.

I literally cut my teeth on the dash of a 66 Elcamino. Factory 325/396 4 SP Car. Ran an L88 cam headers and a 3BBl Holley. The L88 cam thing was interesting as the engine builder who put it together missed the fully grooved journal differences on the early BBC's... Had to pull the motor after the first run scorched most of the bearings. The 2nd build included an align bore, balance, and blueprint... Dads car which I never drove but remember him saying it ran 11's with nothing but wheelspin off the line. Wicked fast from a rolling start.

I had a 1978 Z28 out of HS which wasn't anywhere even close to fast. Pretty crappy car truth be known. The quickest car I was ever in was probably a V8 Vega, actually rode in the Reggie Jackson car built in Hot rod magazine in the late 70's. Scared the crap out of me...

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Fairlane on slicks was a handful to drive and keep straight and launched very hard. These new cars are so effortless in how they drive and smooth in how they deliver power. And the computer does it all for you.... The launch and traction control makes it feel slow by comparison, you look down and you are doing 140 MPH like it was nothing. Still fun but not the same for sure.

That's the same way I feel about comparing a modern cat to an old flat. The newer tech boats are so good at what they do the thrill is missing. The older Hot Rod boats are a handful and tough to launch which makes for an exciting ride.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
That's the same way I feel about comparing a modern cat to an old flat. The newer tech boats are so good at what they do the thrill is missing. The older Hot Rod boats are a handful and tough to launch which makes for an exciting ride.

Completely agree. My DCB did everything so effortlessly. You must exercise great respect and restraint, these modern boats, and vehicles, accelerate so fast and are smooth and graceful doing it that when not respected one can find themselves in trouble real fast.... And thats what happens so often, lack of experiance, skill and respect in very capable machines is a bad combination.

And for the record I have been in some of the fastest machines made on land, sea and air but I will not ride in, or drive, a v drive flatty. Too exciting for me.... I have great respect for those that can manage a real fast flatty, and have the balls to do it.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Completely agree. My DCB did everything so effortlessly. You must exercise great respect and restraint, these modern boats, and vehicles, accelerate so fast and are smooth and graceful doing it that when not respected one can find themselves in trouble real fast.... And thats what happens so often, lack of experiance, skill and respect in very capable machines is a bad combination.

And for the record I have been in some of the fastest machines made on land, sea and air but I will not ride in, or drive, a v drive flatty. Too exciting for me.... I have great respect for those that can manage a real fast flatty, and have the balls to do it.

As I recall, your father had or has a Shelby Cobra or a GT-40. Is this the case?

Wheeler

Reaction score
I can spot a Boss valve cover at 100 yards.

It's really cool to see one in a flatty as it passes by, It's a very rare occasion. I think I've seen two or 'em in Parker over the years.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There an orange and brown Sanger flat deck with one.
Is Spelman the guy with the sohc galaxy?

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
There an orange and brown Sanger flat deck with one.
Is Spelman the guy with the sohc galaxy?

I dont recall seeing any SOHC powered cars in his collection. He did have a Thunderbolt and a few factory lightweight 427 Galaxy's . As well a 427 Cobra and a Daytona Spider Ferrari. Also had a few AFX altered wheelbase Mopars.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I dont recall seeing any SOHC powered cars in his collection. He did have a Thunderbolt and a few factory lightweight 427 Galaxy's . As well a 427 Cobra and a Daytona Spider Ferrari. Also had a few AFX altered wheelbase Mopars.

If you would like, next time you are in Parker I'll drag a friend over and he can tell you about the time he was tasked to put a cammer in a Shelby Cobra.

merc_400r

Reaction score
Gas is cheap, safety is relevant, comfort is subjective, until you have experienced the brutality of a 64 T Bolt and the crying of a Demon owner you just haven't lived

Are you talking stock cars though? Yes you can modify a 60's car to be fast and fun but every stock "muscle" car I have been in was only fun in the "i think i am going to die" when going fast. The brakes and suspension of the 60's are just not up to par with even today's basic muscle cars. Don't get me wrong I love old cars but you just can't compare them to 2020 cars.