WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Muscle cars 60,s vs today’s

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Chrysler Hemi, turbo charged never got the nitrous on it. The night the pix were taken Gordon drove over to speak with a neighbor who worked at Fairchild Hiller about engineering some solenoids for NO2. Car was street legal but set up for Bonneville.

I'll dig out the July '64 issue Hot Rod and try scanning it.
Yeah I was just kind a hard to tell from the old pictures, all I could see was a whole Lotta nothing stock under the hood.😂 i’ll have to try and look it on my laptop later maybe I could see something instead of on my phone.😎

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Like others have said, the 60's and early 70"s muscle cars are some of the coolest cars. I think that had a lot to do with the nostalgia and rareness of the performance options back in the day. Today's cars are nowhere near as rare for the factory performance options

Also, the 60's and 70's cars are what most all grew up reading about and idolizing. Well anybody that is older than 40. I was subscribing to Car and Driver in High School and my dad has had Bot Rod for long before I was born so I remember reading about the ,03 Corvette Z06. One of the first of the smog generation domestic sports cars to come with over 400 factory horsepower.

People in my generation can spot and appreciate differences in modern muscle cars cause we grew up with these modern cars much like the older generation grew up with the 60's and 70's cars and the generation before that were the pre-war hot rods and immediately post war cars.
Yes but most any kid working in a gas station could buy a Road Runner 383, 335 hp big block, 4 speed, w/4.10s that would allow quarter miles times only a second slower than the fastest cars of the day. And for only 20% more you could have multiple carbs and 400+ hp, seating for 5 adults, and best of all, you could work on it yourself.
I laugh my ass off when someone says you can't work on new cars. There is nothing stopping a person from doing so except their own desire to learn new tech. I'm sure the exact same sentiment was expressed from the older generation with first fuel injected engines.

Like everything else, all it takes is the right tools.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Lol
I couldn’t afford that fancy hood!
I had a big hole in my hood for the tunnel ram...
Duster 340.... we had a kid in high school with one of those. I think he was considered one of the hot rods .... that'd have been 1976 as I recall... not sure what year his was. I remember riding in it as he played the beach boys... in Va countryside... I'd never heard their music before.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Duster 340.... we had a kid in high school with one of those. I think he was considered one of the hot rods .... that'd have been 1976 as I recall... not sure what year his was. I remember riding in it as he played the beach boys... in Va countryside... I'd never heard their music before.

The early ones were for real.
Mine was brutal.
The ‘71, imo, was the epitome of that body style. Those evil slit tail lights and flat grill.
Just a wicked looking ride with the right stance.
Mine had an earlier 340 out of a 340 square body dart, 4 speed with V shifter, 8 3/4 posi.
Shag carpet, side pipes, air shocks, and a Chevelle/ Camaro killer.
I Paid $500 for it on the Air Force base when a poor GI’s mom sold it to me...I was 16 and bagging groceries after school at the commissary.
That car was bad ass.
The kids at my school were rich. The mayors son, newspaper owners son, all the lawyers and lobbyists and old money all lived by rhe HS they bussed us to.
We were the army jacket wearing stoners bussed in from the base that ranked even lower than the civilian poor kids. Lol
They were all cool kids though. My Duster was the primered pile of junk compared to their new Z28’s and chevelles!
But that car would and did take out all but a very few of them. It was the Big Block killer.
Then again, I’d wring it out without hesitation.
Theyd get in trouble if they broke their cars! Lol

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
When I got the C7 last year I was looking for a C6 OR going to a new 3 black Camaro convertible.
As my buddy and I were driving all over Phoenix looking at candidates I noticed something....there was a Camaro at seemingly every stoplight...Or a challenger, hard to tell at a glance.

I ended up with the Z51because of the low miles and price drop, but also because I’ve never seen another one before or since.

Trying to grasp what you mean when you wrote you haven't seen another one before or since ---- what ? A Z51 ? Or a triple black vert ? Beautiful vette regardless 👍
I'm so back and forth from looking at older, then the new ones, I'm getting dizzy o_O Price drop ? Well, you were lucky, because at least around San Diego, the pickins are really slim, old or new. Fooled me, prior to the release of the C8, there were plenty of nice used Vettes on the market, so not sure if it's a buying spree for the older models, or another COVID-19 purchasing frenzy ?
I keep looking back at the C6 Z06's, the C7 Grandsports, but the wifey and I really liked the new one we dream drove recently --- by dream drove, that means in the show room, fired it up ( It does sound good ), shut it off and made vroom vroom sounds as we imagined driving it 😂😂 But I'm not sure I'll be alive long enough to survive the dealer markups.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Too bad the Demon is still not as quick as a 64 Ford

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Trying to grasp what you mean when you wrote you haven't seen another one before or since ---- what ? A Z51 ? Or a triple black vert ? Beautiful vette regardless 👍
I'm so back and forth from looking at older, then the new ones, I'm getting dizzy o_O Price drop ? Well, you were lucky, because at least around San Diego, the pickins are really slim, old or new. Fooled me, prior to the release of the C8, there were plenty of nice used Vettes on the market, so not sure if it's a buying spree for the older models, or another COVID-19 purchasing frenzy ?
I keep looking back at the C6 Z06's, the C7 Grandsports, but the wifey and I really liked the new one we dream drove recently --- by dream drove, that means in the show room, fired it up ( It does sound good ), shut it off and made vroom vroom sounds as we imagined driving it 😂😂 But I'm not sure I'll be alive long enough to survive the dealer markups.

Z51

I went to that dealer to see a C7 Grand sport 3LT.
But it was sold the day before.

They had the Z51 sitting there but I didn’t want to spend that much.
Z51 was a 2014 with 6K miles on it...the Grandsport was a 2011 with 24K miles.
After much back and forth they dropped the Z to under Kelly book (it’s rated very good/ perfect even now) and raised my trade in on my Camry to $10K so I did the deal.
But all that aside, I’ve never seen another Z51 on the street.
I bought it a year ago, no covid bullishit involved.

It’s gone up on blue book since I bought it.
Even at “good” condition it’s over what I paid.
It sucked giving up my paid for 2014 Camry but oh well!

Triple black verts are the only ones I’ll buy.
The only other one I’d consider is the 50th anniversary C5 vert maroon with tan top.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wanna know what’s sad?
This little girl is now 38...my oldest.

I think she was 5 sitting on the car.

Fuck.

D16764E7-8B3B-4282-9AEB-001DAF2C1AAC.jpeg
294556DC-EED3-4606-AA6E-6B4516124718.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I laugh my ass off when someone says you can't work on new cars. There is nothing stopping a person from doing so except their own desire to learn new tech.

That's not necessarily true. New cars have to pass smog (at least in California). This was a huge hassle for me back when I was playing with Fox body 5.0 Mustangs. Most aftermarket parts weren't California Air Research Board approved. I know it's better now but my 68 Chevy is exempt from testing which to me is huge.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. New cars have to pass smog (at least in California). This was a huge hassle for me back when I was playing with Fox body 5.0 Mustangs. Most aftermarket parts weren't California Air Research Board approved. I know it's better now but my 68 Chevy is exempt from testing which to me is huge.
There are many work around and powerful legal mods now that it's not really an issue.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
In June 1973 I put down 2½ years of earnings on a new 455 SD Trans Am. That covered about ⅓ of the $5,300 it cost, and my Dad and I made a financing agreement that covered the balance.

The T/A was the fastest muscle car available in '73, except for the Mach 1. It ran low 13s ETs at sea level.

I was more interested in road performance instead of straight line speed, and made some performance modifications to the car. Since the Firebird was built on the same platform as the Camaro, and the Z28 was running in the Trans Am series, there were quite a few heavy duty suspension parts available from Chevrolet. I installed the bigger front and rear sway bars, road racing shocks, and semi metallic brake pads along with some other stuff.

It was a good road car. I made the 750 mile trip from Albuquerque to Riverside in a bit under nine hours, averaging about 85 MPH. It was flat out between Needles and Barstow, running 145 for miles.

pontiac-firebird-trans-am-455-super-duty.jpg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Wanna know what’s sad?
This little girl is now 38...my oldest.

I think she was 5 sitting on the car.

Fuck.

View attachment 920334 View attachment 920335

I've seen pictures of you :oops: 😁
So what kind of unholy magic do you possess, that attracts or places a spell on these obviously beautiful lady ('s) (Judging by your beautiful daughter) to wedlock ?
Must be a great sense of humor and well, something. 😂

spectramitch

Reaction score
The one thing new showroom performance cars don't have is that 'Thump' that just slams you in the chest at idle at a stoplight. Im 23 and this is my old school muscle. I just like having something nostalgic and different. Always funny to see kids and even some older people not have any idea what my car is or even what motor I have😏
IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of you :oops: 😁
So what kind of unholy magic do you possess, that attracts or places a spell on these obviously beautiful lady ('s) (Judging by your beautiful daughter) to wedlock ?
Must be a great sense of humor and well, something. 😂

Right?
Well, I wasn’t always old and fat! Lol

KevinR

Reaction score
In June 1973 I put down 2½ years of earnings on a new 455 SD Trans Am. That covered about ⅓ of the $5,300 it cost, and my Dad and I made a financing agreement that covered the balance.

The T/A was the fastest muscle car available in '73, except for the Mach 1. It ran low 13s ETs at sea level.

I was more interested in road performance instead of straight line speed, and made some performance modifications to the car. Since the Firebird was built on the same platform as the Camaro, and the Z28 was running in the Trans Am series, there were quite a few heavy duty suspension parts available from Chevrolet. I installed the bigger front and rear sway bars, road racing shocks, and semi metallic brake pads along with some other stuff.

It was a good road car. I made the 750 mile trip from Albuquerque to Riverside in a bit under nine hours, averaging about 85 MPH. It was flat out between Needles and Barstow, running 145 for miles.

pontiac-firebird-trans-am-455-super-duty.jpg

Way cool.

How long did you own it?

rrrr

Reaction score
Way cool.

How long did you own it?

Just two years. In '75, I sold it and bought a new 4X4 K20 Silverado Suburban. It cost $7,700, I paid cash with the sale money and proceeds from subcontract work I was doing in commercial sheet metal. It had a 350 and a four speed, and of course I installed a big ass stereo, Jackman wheels and big tires. At that time in my life it was all about hang gliding.

I took the roof rack off and mounted 1X4 teak runners along the length of the roof where the rack sat, reinstalled the rack, and added 4 pieces of 1½" 6061 tubing across the rack. It could carry eight 50 lb kites with no issues.

My buddies and I drove it across the southwest, going places like Torrey Pines, Mariam Crater north of Flagstaff, Durango and Silverton, CO, and several other spots known for thermal and ridge lift. We could drive to the top of the mountains in 4WD and air conditioned comfort. 😁

nameisbond

Reaction score
Back in my high school days nobody ran 60's or 70's muscle cars. Everyone had new Mustangs, Firebirds and Camaro's. My senior year I had an 85 Vette. I wasn't the only one. Until 1986 stores had to close on Sundays here. The local mall turned into a free swap meet on Sundays. Since nobody was buying 70's Camaros here, they where cheap. Id buy a 1980 Z28 for $1500 and flip it Sunday for $2500. This was around 88 time frame. After 1986 and stores could open on Sunday. The mall cut a deal with the local Lions club and they run a car sale every Sunday in a corner of the mall. I sometimes toy with the idea of flipping cars for fun.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Classic Muscle is about the "feeling" they were first and made a huge impact on so many people, there already was a car culture but I think the muscle car era really solidified that. Numbers to numbers the new cars are faster for full production vehicles. The COPO cars and lightweights of the 60's are awesome but I personally love the return of horse power and you cant beat technology and advancement of the industry, always building off the previous generation. I am 14 years younger than my Brother (5 girls in between us) and cousins, I grew up in the back seat of muscle cars and to this day still have such fond memories of what the "CARS" meant to all of us. I love looking at old family photos and seeing the daily drivers on the street...

Top of my list was my Brothers 69' Boss 429...Fastest car I have ever been in and I know there were faster and are faster, but for me with my Big Brother slamming the gears it will always be the best.

Oldest Sister had a 67 or 68 RS/SS Camaro with a small block and 4 speed. She almost lost a boyfried (first husband) because she beat him at the drags... he had a couple nice cars always Fords and always spotless at the time he had a Maverick and a Fairlane with a 427 in it.

Cousins cars: 69 Mustang 428 CJ, 70 LS6 Chevelle, Barracuda, there was a Vega wagon with a small block, that was a little beast I guess.

My Mom drove a 67 Fire Bird with a 400 and my Dad had a 54 GMC with a 440 Chrysler. He still has the GMC.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
After I graduated High School in 1980 I went into the Air Force, most all the bases at the time had what was known as the lemon lot where people would put their cars up for sale. Mopars were cheap back then, especially big blocks. My first lemon lot car was a '70 Challenger with a 440, auto, which i paid $1000 for it, after that I purchased a '72 Roadrunner with a 383, 4 spd $1100 and almost bought a '69 Super Bee with a 440, 6 pack, 4 spd but decided against it because the owner was honest and said he didn't know how to adjust the carbs so it didn't run right, of course I didn't know how to adjust them either, we were just dumb kids but I could have had it for $700.
Over the years I have had other muscle cars, nothing really fast, mostly just loud. Fast forward to now, I have my 2019 Challenger WB, SP, 6m that I ordered just the way I wanted it. As much as I love and respect the classic muscle cars I grew up with, I would never buy another one, I will leave them for the collectors and those that restore them. Longest road trip to date in the new Challenger was 16 hours to Lubbock Tx for 2 nights and 16 hours back to So. Cal, averaged almost 25 mpg, it was a great road trip with just the wife and I.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Everyone has there likes n wants.. driving new modern muscles cars is very nice..

But you can never replace driving that cool older car feeling.. everyone looks n talks too you..
do they squeak rattle n smell yes.. it's 40/50/60 plus yrs old..
Too me this is a great picture..
Red one is the woman's ride..

Attachments

• 98203.jpeg
    98203.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 270

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Back in my high school days nobody ran 60's or 70's muscle cars. Everyone had new Mustangs, Firebirds and Camaro's. My senior year I had an 85 Vette. I wasn't the only one. Until 1986 stores had to close on Sundays here. The local mall turned into a free swap meet on Sundays. Since nobody was buying 70's Camaros here, they where cheap. Id buy a 1980 Z28 for $1500 and flip it Sunday for $2500. This was around 88 time frame. After 1986 and stores could open on Sunday. The mall cut a deal with the local Lions club and they run a car sale every Sunday in a corner of the mall. I sometimes toy with the idea of flipping cars for fun.

70's Camaro's were cheap because they were gutless turds after 1971. Early 80's were no different. The 60's had some bad ass cars spilling into early 70's but even the later performance cars like the 6.6 Trans Am, Corvettes and Camaros were pigs and far from powerful. You could make them fast, but not legally (smog laws).

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
After I graduated High School in 1980 I went into the Air Force, most all the bases at the time had what was known as the lemon lot where people would put their cars up for sale. Mopars were cheap back then, especially big blocks. My first lemon lot car was a '70 Challenger with a 440, auto, which i paid $1000 for it, after that I purchased a '72 Roadrunner with a 383, 4 spd $1100 and almost bought a '69 Super Bee with a 440, 6 pack, 4 spd but decided against it because the owner was honest and said he didn't know how to adjust the carbs so it didn't run right, of course I didn't know how to adjust them either, we were just dumb kids but I could have had it for $700.
Over the years I have had other muscle cars, nothing really fast, mostly just loud. Fast forward to now, I have my 2019 Challenger WB, SP, 6m that I ordered just the way I wanted it. As much as I love and respect the classic muscle cars I grew up with, I would never buy another one, I will leave them for the collectors and those that restore them. Longest road trip to date in the new Challenger was 16 hours to Lubbock Tx for 2 nights and 16 hours back to So. Cal, averaged almost 25 mpg, it was a great road trip with just the wife and I.

Yep!
We’d ride our bicycles to the lemon lot on Elmendorf AFB at least every other day in the summer. We lived on base.

They also had a smaller, informal lot near the enlisted barracks. That’s were we’d find the dirt bikes for sale as the one stripers rotated out.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I have played with almost everything over the years as you can probably imagine... I love all cars, from the brass era until now, they all have some different feal or quirks that makes them what they are. I just hope racing doesn't continue to die out like it is. I really wish that the racing series would pull their heads out of their asses and make racing accessible to the masses. NHRA should let any kid under 16 in free and cut all of their prices in half, we need the younger generation to get interested!!! I hope that Penske does some good with Indy! Make it a family event again!

nameisbond

Reaction score
70's Camaro's were cheap because they were gutless turds after 1971. Early 80's were no different. The 60's had some bad ass cars spilling into early 70's but even the later performance cars like the 6.6 Trans Am, Corvettes and Camaros were pigs and far from powerful. You could make them fast, but not legally (smog laws).

Nobody here cared about our smog laws in 1988 when I was flipping them. We didn't have smog testing until 1992. The Surrey kids wanted them and knew how to make them faster. My area was rich kids with brand new cars. Seven of my friends had dentist fathers and two oral surgeons. They looked down at 60's and 70's muscle cars.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Everyone has there likes n wants.. driving new modern muscles cars is very nice..

But you can never replace driving that cool older car feeling.. everyone looks n talks too you..
do they squeak rattle n smell yes.. it's 40/50/60 plus yrs old..
Too me this is a great picture..
Red one is the woman's ride..

This^^^^

I do quite a lot local " show-n-shines" around Phoenix. I really dig the crowds at these things. You hear all their stories about when they had a Chevelle or a Camaro or a Mustang. The crowd is far friendlier, nobodies uptight and there are typically no rules other than don't be a dick.

It didnt take me long to figure out the show-n-shines are far more enjoyable than the Good Guys, Or other Judged type shows. At the S-N-S's I can show up for a couple hours, piss off whenever I please and go looking for fun.

These bigger shows require a large time investment and some, a large entrance fee. Fuck that, I don't need a trophy anyway.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

77charger

Reaction score
Comparing old to new yes the new ones are faster thanks to technology they are making some hp that can be put to the ground with little emissions.

BUT what separates them is the sound! an old built big block or small block that has a larger cam good set of headers and good exhaust is hard to beat as it rumbles deep and throaty.Todays new cars are too smooth and i think most sound like crap with the exhaust systems they run gone is that deep v8 sound of yesterday!

KevinR

Reaction score
Comparing old to new yes the new ones are faster thanks to technology they are making some hp that can be put to the ground with little emissions.

BUT what separates them is the sound! an old built big block or small block that has a larger cam good set of headers and good exhaust is hard to beat as it rumbles deep and throaty.Todays new cars are too smooth and i think most sound like crap with the exhaust systems they run gone is that deep v8 sound of yesterday!

77 I agree totally with you regarding sound of 60s-70s vs modern muscle.

This is my favorite V8 engine for modern muscle.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Here is mine, I built it, the first version, when I was 16, 24 years ago. It's very much a street car, latest version I did around 2006. It ran mid 11's last time I had it out on the new set up, but zero tuning and haven't even turned a screw on the carb yet. There is some more there.

69 Chevelle
421" small block, iron heads, naturally aspirated
T400 Trans, 4k stall
12 bolt with ford style axle ends, 3.91 gears
11.59 @ 119mph
3300 lbs all steel

I think I could get a 10 out of it as it sits, then add a 250 shot and some slicks and really hurt some feelings. I drive it to and from the track on the freeway at 4k rpm, just a small block pump gas street car.

Old hemi darts and zl1 camaros and chevelles are, in my mind, the fast shit from their generation, horsepower is a lot easier these days, its a good thing considering how much new cars weigh.

chevelle1.jpg
chevelle3.jpg
chevelletrack.jpg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The one thing new showroom performance cars don't have is that 'Thump' that just slams you in the chest at idle at a stoplight. Im 23 and this is my old school muscle. I just like having something nostalgic and different. Always funny to see kids and even some older people not have any idea what my car is or even what motor I have😏
View attachment 920378
View attachment 920379

Pontiac GTO?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one is a 1969 Mustang Boss 429 fan!?! If if remember correctly they only made around 600 of them, and they were wicked....the almost answer to the ZL1 Camaros.

At one time my Mopar mentor had a few rarities in his backyard. He had a limelight green 71 Hemi GTX 4 speed. End of the run for the Hemi pretty much. They only made 11 4 speeds and 32 automatics. He also had a 1967 Dodge Coronet WO car. https://www.supercars.net/blog/1967-dodge-hemi-coronet-super-stock/ They had to meet homolgation rules by building 50, but while numbers were issued, only about 30 are know to have been assembled.
Special out the back door of the factory with radio and heater deleted. Trunk mounted battery, the first super stock springs, thin glass, lightweight seats and no carpet or sound deadener. And a 7500 rpm :p He ran it at Riverside and LACR quite a bit in the eighties.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That was not a production vehicle, they were never sold to the public or homolagated in any form for racing.

I have no fucking clue what homoWhatthefuckever means, but...

The original question didn't say anything about production cars. He just asked what was the fastest then, and now!

Sucks to be a GM fan. Then, and now!

😂 :p

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
My dad had one, he was never impressed with it and always said it just wouldn't pull like it should.

Cool thread!

I agree, really all the Boss engines were under performers, big and small block. The 428 CJ and 427 FE powered cars ran WAY better, especially the SOHC, now thats the hemi Ford should have stayed with back then, never really understood the rationale behind Ford ditching the FE platform for the 385 family. The 385 generation engines were really a disappointment IMHO. Chevy made the right move and stayed with what worked as the 60's ended and the smog controls of the 70's set in

Gelcoater

Reaction score
At one time my Mopar mentor had a few rarities in his backyard. He had a limelight green 71 Hemi GTX 4 speed. End of the run for the Hemi pretty much. They only made 11 4 speeds and 32 automatics. He also had a 1967 Dodge Coronet WO car. https://www.supercars.net/blog/1967-dodge-hemi-coronet-super-stock/ They had to meet homolgation rules by building 50, but while numbers were issued, only about 30 are know to have been assembled.
Special out the back door of the factory with radio and heater deleted. Trunk mounted battery, the first super stock springs, thin glass, lightweight seats and no carpet or sound deadener. And a 7500 rpm :p He ran it at Riverside and LACR quite a bit in the eighties.
Speaking of Mopar mentors, where’s @Danny Mancini ?
Dude has some family photos that are Mopar gold!!!
D6E1B62B-D9FF-4FE6-8D51-491E21127E85.jpeg
A8425367-B2C4-438B-9637-D1BF36E24C54.jpeg
00B834FF-22F9-4E2E-9BAE-D5C791374434.jpeg
E3EDCCB7-3002-4D5E-8B73-FBFE3D43DB08.jpeg
E29313F7-7786-42B6-B393-52FD57542FBC.jpeg

The little dude in front of the race car is a young Danny, lol.