WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Must see Formula 1 crash this morning

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this it is worth searching other vids as well. There is a view I can't find that shows him in the car burning for 18 seconds. Somehow he has only "minor" burns on his hands and feet. Some badasses got there immediately and must've faced intense heat.

Edit: Azzholes

Last edited:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Yeah I caught onto it from Twitter and saw most of the red flag period. Nascar drivers were posting. I started tearing up watching him get out. Miracle

DUN

Reaction score
Unreal

p3spidsev6261.png

Cdog

Reaction score
Crazy race. Perez dnf caution at the end sucked. They should have let them race for a two lap finish.

halo worked & is validated. Good to see.

I have 3 sets of Alpinestars fire proof socks on my Christmas list. It’s the one thing I go through each racing year. Wife was making fun of my request but they are some serious shit.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I put a stop watch to it and from the time the fire started at impact to the time he escaped the blaze was 30 seconds. The Halo saved his life. Absolutely unreal that he climbed out of that on his own.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Someone else said 30 as well. I think I heard 18 seconds from the broadcast. Dunno. Five seconds would've seemed like an eternity.

Cdog

Reaction score
Glad driver appears OK....Started to look then remembered just another bunch of shit as F1 has gone to the Black lives matter shit. No sports left for me. View attachment 946932

They retracted and put a stop to hamilton pushing it. They’re promoting equality which is good. But don’t appear to be drinking the blm kool aid

rrrr

Reaction score
Unreal

View attachment 946923

I'm surprised that a new F1 track has Armco railing instead of an impact absorbing barrier like the SAFER. Armco has killed a bunch of F1 drivers, Francois Cevert and Helmut Koinigg come to mind. There have been others in more modern times.

They both died at Watkins Glen, Cevert in 1973 and Koinigg in 1974. There was a series of esses on the track, removed long ago, and their crashes into the Armco barrier essentially decapitated them. It's a really bad product to use on high speed circuits, and this has been known for fifty years.

BONER

Reaction score
Glad driver appears OK....Started to look then remembered just another bunch of shit as F1 has gone to the Black lives matter shit. No sports left for me.

Moto hasn't turned... Yet.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Glad driver appears OK....Started to look then remembered just another bunch of shit as F1 has gone to the Black lives matter shit. No sports left for me.

Lol no shit, i haven't missed a minute of any session in probably 10 years. They kicked the season off with Hamiliton crying about racism and a bunch of BLM crap jammed into every second of the broadcast starting with FP1. I was out. I don't want to spend the weekend getting lectured to by a bunch of rich assholes about equality. Hamilton himself is proof it's overblown, if racism were so prevalent he wouldn't be worth 300+ million from "a racist sport". :rolleyes:😂

I wanna watch racing, politics is jammed into every second of every other f'n channel 24/7, i can watch that any time i want..... 😂 😂

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I'm like some of you guys, I'm up and watching every practice no matter the time, my world stops for quali, and of course the race. This had me panicked. When they were not showing it on TV, you know it was bad. Watching Romain climb out on his own and then the doctor pulling him out with that intense heat, holy shit I got a misty when I saw him in the medical car talking.

Insane race. Can't wait to see WTF1 and Sim Dane reactions on YouTube. Also, the Drive To Survive episode should be killer.

Regarding Lewis, I'm a Mercedes fan as it shows with my dollars I've spent with them. But this holier then thou shit is frustration. So with that, VB77 is my guy!!!!

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I watched it live this morning. I thought he was dead. The halo saved his life.

We try to get to one F1 race per year somewhere. This year would have been Monza.

rrrr

Reaction score
Cdog's Christmas socks are just as important as any other piece of safety equipment a driver wears.

No matter what you're racing, having the best protective gear is not something to cheap out on. Saturday night street stocks burn just as hot as any other race car if the hit is right. A driver trapped in the wreckage or unconscious can quickly become an ugly situation.

In 2004 we had a problem with the fueling rig during a pit stop. The push in fitting on the end of the 3" diameter fueling hose hung open and when the spilled methanol hit the headers, it was Oh Shit time. IndyCar was still using 100% methanol fuel at the time, which burned with an almost invisible flame (now it's ethanol with 10% unleaded gasoline). It took just seconds to get the driver out of the car, but it seemed like everything was happening in slow motion. It was standard procedure to have several five gallon buckets of water near the wall in each pit along with the stainless steel rechargeable extinguishers filled with water, water was flying everywhere and the fire was out in a few seconds, but it was scary as hell.

Last edited:

Racing97

Reaction score
Erase Racism, ironic that LH labels his uniform and gets most of the the Euro's to take a Knee for. In a country like Bahrain how damn Ironic I guess their are no Breana Taylor stories there for him to take up a cause for,, one of the countries with Human Rights violations to this day. Leave the country with the Least Racism in the world alone damn it. Oh btw Bahrain was kicking the crap out of its minority populations while it was still under the British Flag.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I'm surprised that a new F1 track has Armco railing instead of an impact absorbing barrier like the SAFER. Armco has killed a bunch of F1 drivers, Francois Cevert and Helmut Koinigg come to mind. There have been others in more modern times.

They both died at Watkins Glen, Cevert in 1973 and Koinigg in 1974. There was a series of esses on the track, removed long ago, and their crashes into the Armco barrier essentially decapitated them. It's a really bad product to use on high speed circuits, and this has been known for fifty years.

First thing I thought, what the hell is that type of barrier doing on a circuit.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I watched it live this morning. I thought he was dead. The halo saved his life.

We try to get to one F1 race per year somewhere. This year would have been Monza.

We were suppose to be in Monza as well. Let's hook up if 2021 is a go!

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Saw a replay this morning of Romain's onboard. Now that we know he is okay, can we say that this is a classic Grosjean accident? Crossing 3 car widths down a straight off the start into a disappearing gap?

What do the actual racing drivers of the page say?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Saw a replay this morning of Romain's onboard. Now that we know he is okay, can we say that this is a classic Grosjean accident? Crossing 3 car widths down a straight off the start into a disappearing gap?

That's why he gets paid the big bucks :)

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

Yep, and if he would have held is line and been content to fall to last place, I am not sure he could have checked up in time either, but hey, I have zero experience with how amazing F1 brakes actually are, but again, I am not paid the big bucks.

I think formula 1 has gotten too comfortable with antiquated barriers everywhere as they don't have the prevalence of nascar wrecks. The really sad thing is, they could do literally what they want on almost every wall as they have miles of space with rare exceptions. SAFER barriers were great for NASCAR as they are energy absorbing, don't catch and hook body work as we used to see all the time at Watkins glen on left over armco, and they can install in existing tracks taking up very little space as they have none available. The F1 circuits have miles of room to do things like tire barriers with a rubber containment sheet and stuff like that, even low tech like that would have helped Grosjean out instead of his tub piercing the rail and going through it.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

“Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people and if you no longer go for a gap that exists you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing.”

Ayrton Senna

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Yep, and if he would have held is line and been content to fall to last place, I am not sure he could have checked up in time either, but hey, I have zero experience with how amazing F1 brakes actually are, but again, I am not paid the big bucks.

I think formula 1 has gotten too comfortable with antiquated barriers everywhere as they don't have the prevalence of nascar wrecks. The really sad thing is, they could do literally what they want on almost every wall as they have miles of space with rare exceptions. SAFER barriers were great for NASCAR as they are energy absorbing, don't catch and hook body work as we used to see all the time at Watkins glen on left over armco, and they can install in existing tracks taking up very little space as they have none available. The F1 circuits have miles of room to do things like tire barriers with a rubber containment sheet and stuff like that, even low tech like that would have helped Grosjean out instead of his tub piercing the rail and going through it.

They have all the safer barriers along all of the outside corners of the track, issue is this was a very bizarre spot to have a direct hit 90 degrees into the barrier.

It was an inside wall halfway along a straight. The most they would ever expect here is a glancing impact parallel to the barrier, putting soft wall here could actually be more dangerous as instead of glancing a car moving almost parallel to it, it will grab the car and suck it in.

The FIA is extremely rigorous about certifying tracks for safety of F1, they have a litany of requirements before they will certify a circuit for these cars.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
They have all the safer barriers along all of the outside corners of the track, issue is this was a very bizarre spot to have a direct hit 90 degrees into the barrier.

It was an inside wall halfway along a straight. The most they would ever expect here is a glancing impact parallel to the barrier, putting soft wall here could actually be more dangerous as instead of glancing a car moving almost parallel to it, it will grab the car and suck it in.

The FIA is extremely rigorous about certifying tracks for safety of F1, they have a litany of requirements before they will certify a circuit for these cars.

Not to mention the payoffs required!

spectras only

Reaction score
We have some concrete walls in the straights with rubber tires for cushioning in corners at Area27. A few cars were destroyed by parallel impacts or heading into the rubber tires in sharp corners. o one have ever suffered serious injuries. Trevor Seibert [ Canadian racer, owner of Avion Motorsport, RS1 cars ] who did the construction of the track would never use metal barriers for this race track.
Look at Trevor crashing way back

spectras only

Reaction score
Cool video of Canadian racing in the West in the outskirts of Vancouver. Westwood was built in 1958 and stood for long time before development taken over, hence the creation of Area27 took place. Trevor honed his skills at Westwood at the age of 22. Some very cool cars in this video, including a car with rollbar as a post, haha

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We were suppose to be in Monza as well. Let's hook up if 2021 is a go!
That would be great! We'll see how 2021 is looking next spring. Monza was a bit boring this year though.

Cdog

Reaction score
As Racey said it was an odd place to have that angle of impact from a car. I bet there will be changes with Armco barriers from here forward though.

As far as Romain goes. He’s clearly a frustrated driver at the tail end of his F1 career. He lacks the grit to over come a lack luster car or set up unlike Ricardo, Kimi, Max & dare I say Vettel. They may not win but will do something impressive with what they have. In the best equipment Romain would do well, but so would everyone else on that track.

Hes also in what I call “Indian territory” . Desperate driving to break into the top 10 for a point. Anything can happen and it happens to him more often than not. He’s sort of a clinical driver in the worst kind of way when that developing car & team needs a hot shoe that can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I know people like to talk smack on Roman, but he’s done better than his teammate . Let’s face it, their car is not competitive at that level. At least he puts on a good show ! 👍

sirbob

Reaction score

You meant to say "and that's why he is out of a job"

I know they say he is sitting the next one out but If I was Haas, he would have driven the last race for me. No need to give him the last one of the season to see if he can fuck up another car - he ain't coming back anyway - good bye!

All that said - I'm glad he didn't kill himself or worse somebody else.

sirbob

Reaction score

Ross Braun said in the interview after the race "we didn't predict somebody would wreck like that" about those railings being used there, or something to that effect.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Ross Braun said in the interview after the race "we didn't predict somebody would wreck like that" about those railings being used there, or something to that effect.
I think it was Michael Waltrip that said something like , "if there's a spot on the track that isn't safe, we'll find it." To be fair, he found more than his fair share, but it is amazing how race cars are magnets to spots you'd never think they'd hit.

Taboma

Reaction score
I think it was Michael Waltrip that said something like , "if there's a spot on the track that isn't safe, we'll find it." To be fair, he found more than his fair share, but it is amazing how race cars are magnets to spots you'd never think they'd hit.

In a similar manner, I marvel how every out of control car seems to be magnetically drawn to KO a fire hydrant.
Then by apparent coincidence, it's always the one that apparently the city's water department can't find the shut-off valve for, because it was paved over several years prior when nobody bothered to raise the cover.
Then we're entertained by the news, watching the yearly water allotment of a small city flood nearby apartments as it runs to the sea as the news warns us of impending water rationing.
Things that make you go WTF o_O

rrrr

Reaction score

Race cars have a way of finding the least likely spot to hit in the least likely manner, and that's killed quite a few drivers. IMO there's no place in racing for Armco barriers, especially on an F1 track. I have read Grosjean's car was traveling 125 MPH when it hit the barrier.

I don't understand what you're saying about a soft wall. A SAFER barrier doesn't do what you're saying.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
annnnnnd Lewis has Covid. I think he got worked up about that crash and decided to take a week off.

HCP3

Reaction score
annnnnnd Lewis has Covid. I think he got worked up about that crash and decided to take a week off.

I was thinking the same, but these F1 guys are way too competitive. I bet he would want the Sakhir win if they would let him try.

sirbob

Reaction score

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
It will be great to see what he can do in a good car. Maybe finally get a point.

I kinda wanted Nico to get a shot at it and get his first podium, but Russell might get his first point and first podium on the same day now. Mercedes gets a chance to see what they really have with him for sure. I almost feel everyone should get a turn in Lewis' car before they retire to see what they really can do :)

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
It will be great to see what he can do in a good car. Maybe finally get a point.

They way some people hate on Lewis, all George has to do is sit in the car, and he will take Pole, Fast Lap, and win by 5 minutes...

My worry is the Podium Lewis stood on, next to BOTH Red Bull Drivers. That would be a massive kick in the dick if they end up missing the last race with Covid.

mbrown2

Reaction score
They way some people hate on Lewis, all George has to do is sit in the car, and he will take Pole, Fast Lap, and win by 5 minutes...

My worry is the Podium Lewis stood on, next to BOTH Red Bull Drivers. That would be a massive kick in the dick if they end up missing the last race with Covid.
If Lewis was such shit and Bottas was as good as he has shown glimpses of....he would be kicking his ass every week...Now if Verstappen was in a Mercedes it would be like the Nico/Lewis fights of a few years ago......:)

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
If Lewis was such shit and Bottas was as good as he has shown glimpses of....he would be kicking his ass every week...Now if Verstappen was in a Mercedes it would be like the Nico/Lewis fights of a few years ago......:)

2 or 3 races this year the Merc strategy worked out to hamiltons favor. Bottas has gotten the shit end of the stick on multiple occasions.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Have not been a big fan of the Halo until I watched it save Romain Grosjean's life. The thing is ugly but if it allows a driver to walk away from something like that then it's worth it. Now if they just remove all the damn armco from racetracks something like this couldn't happen to start with.

As for Lewis. He is ultra talented and I was a big fan until this year when he put the racist black power fist symbol on his helmet as well as his support of the Marxist BLM organization. Now I just hope he retires and takes his racial wokeness with him. Go Max.