WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Avalon feedback

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ambassador 25ft. The Bimini has been a nightmare. They went to a D shaped frame for the
Bimini with mixed in square tubing on the lowers and it is held together with sheet metal screws.
They are always coming loose and I have used red loctite to no avail. I have to tow it to town with the canvas
off to stop it. IF not towing, then maybe not as much as issue. On my rear lounges the cushion pull
straps were only stapled to the back of the cushion. Of course you know what happened. The wiring thru out
is terrible, not sure why they use low grade plastic connectors with unsealed crimp connectors, nothing
is water proofed either. Maybe other builders also do this? Not sure, but I do know that I have had to repair
that stuff also. The better than teak vinyl floor looks great except for the floor joints where they butt up the
joints. I guess the workers have never taken a wood shop class in school. A little prep and sanding would make
for a nice smooth joint instead of what looks like a uneven sidewalk joint. I really like the boat otherwise but
these things really disappoint.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Interesting. my 2015 ambassador 25ft doesnt have these bimini issues or floor. I have the silver teak, no problems .
The wiring is what it is, go climb around the other brands and you will see the same.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
They changed the bimini in 2018 and 2019. I would rather have your version. Is your floor the soft version?
I have seen the seam problem in many of their boats with the hard vinyl floor. I can post pics if interested.

lenmann

Reaction score
They changed the bimini in 2018 and 2019. I would rather have your version. Is your floor the soft version?
I have seen the seam problem in many of their boats with the hard vinyl floor. I can post pics if interested.

I would like to see the floor pics. We are looking hard at these boats now and plan to close a deal at the boat show next month.

Thanks.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I had no problems with my 2016 Ambassador with a double bimini but it had the one inch round frame bars. About an inch of stitching came out of the end of the connecting zipper and cost me 20 bucks to fix it and no problems since leading up to the date I sold it few months back. I had the Luna flooring also which I really liked.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure if it is same product or not. I like it much better then my old traditional carpeted interior boats. Mine never seems to get to hot but there was a lot of bimini shade over it.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
Here are some of the pics I promised. Sorry I am so late. The floor looks worse in person than what i can show here. Also note
on the wire connectors, they are not shrink wrapped or silicone sealed. These pics are from under the front seats which
get wet, not good. I have more pics showing the bimini issues and how its ut together with sheet metal screws if anyone wants to see.

Attachments

• avalon1.jpg
    avalon1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 307

lenmann

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics, I can now see what you were referring to. I was at the LA Boat show on Friday looking at Toons and several of the Avalon display boats had what looked to be the same Better Than Teak flooring as your boat. I didn't see any of the deck seam print through that show in your pics. Maybe they fixed the issue? Sales guy was clueless BTW.

Did your dealer take care of the upholstery and bimini issues under warranty? The 2020 models have a 10 year stem to stern warranty that were pretty proud of during the sales discussions.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
Your welcome, I was at the show on sunday. Glad to see the industry doing well again.
The floors on the Avalons there on not the one that I have. Those I think are the luna floors
which have a tiny amount of padding and hide imperfections. I fixed the upholstery myself
and Avalon does not have a answer for the Bimini. They said that another company is
making the bimimi for them. I would rather have the bimini they are using on the less
expensive models than the one they are using on the Ambassasor models.
I am using red loctite on the screws and have had to put larger diameter ones in also.
I cannot complain about how the dealer has treated me or Avalon, both have been good.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the boat, but for what this boat cost, these things should be
right.