WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My boat sunk this weekend!

boatpi

Reaction score
Get on the phone the insurance company quick get that thing pulled out have engine pickled and you’ll probably save it as noted before.

Riverryder

Reaction score
This is why I always take my boat out. No matter what. Gas is cheaper off the lake and when it’s in the trailer I know it’s safe. Stuff in it maybe not but I can sleep at night knowin that it it made it off the water

sorry this happen hopefully this gets sorted out.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It sucks that it happened, no doubt about it. Look at the bright side though, you weren't out in the middle if the lake with a load of people, taking water and rushing back to the dock. That could have been real bad.

A neighbor here, ex special forces vet, cop now, launched his wake boat at Pleasant a few years back. Wife, young kids, paraplegic brother inlaw, all in the boat. He parked the truck, walked to the dock and fired up the boat. About mid lake he realized it was sitting low...plug was out. He always left it in, but had a shop service the boat. They rinsed the bilge or something. Needless to say, it was a mad dash through the no-wake zone.

It's funny now, but was scary to him when it happened.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
That’s terrible. Sorry OP about the sinking I’d be extremely pissed.

About 17 years ago my parents and I were idling out of Katherines Landing after having just launched the boat. The bilge pump came on and water was shooting about 8’ out of the side of the boat. We popped the hatch and realized we forgot the plug. Dad pulled the boat into a slip quickly and dove in with the plug and put it in. Water pumped out and we were good to go. Thank god for bilge pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franky

Reaction score
It sucks that it happened, no doubt about it. Look at the bright side though, you weren't out in the middle if the lake with a load of people, taking water and rushing back to the dock. That could have been real bad.

A neighbor here, ex special forces vet, cop now, launched his wake boat at Pleasant a few years back. Wife, young kids, paraplegic brother inlaw, all in the boat. He parked the truck, walked to the dock and fired up the boat. About mid lake he realized it was sitting low...plug was out. He always left it in, but had a shop service the boat. They rinsed the bilge or something. Needless to say, it was a mad dash through the no-wake zone.

That happened to me but I was in the marina. I never pull my plug, screw in brass plug. Detailer in Havasu pulled it.....

Riverryder

Reaction score
Then I guess I need to sell you my 240. Ha ha ha

I just make sure my bellows are in good shape. Sucks trying to tow the boat when you have dead batteries and the drive is down.
Was think the same thing. My drive is down sometimes when in storage but it’s such a pain to open hatch turn batteries on and raise it then raise tongue to back the truck in.

DWC

Reaction score

Maybe it’s just me but i think most have had that pleasure at least once. :oops: Mad dash is an understatement. I don’t pull them much anymore. When i did they went in the cup holder next to throttle. Always caught my eye

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but i think most have had that pleasure at least once. :oops: Mad dash is an understatement. I don’t pull them much anymore. When i did they went in the cup holder next to throttle. Always caught my eye
Thus far, my worst was a leaking t fitting for the cooler lines in my jet boat...pumping water under throttle. I didn't notice until I beaches and the ski locker lifted. Bilge pump flowing for a bit.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Thus far, my worst was a leaking t fitting for the cooler lines in my jet boat...pumping water under throttle. I didn't notice until I beaches and the ski locker lifted. Bilge pump flowing for a bit.
Surprise bilge flows are outstanding. I thought i had a leak in the sponson of our Magic. Turns out it was the damn wash down hose. The switch would get accidentally flipped on and fill it up.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I thought the old trick was to empty the water and oil out of the engine and fill it with diesel fuel.

No, to properly pickle an engine you need to get it running again as soon as possible. before the starter and ignition system components go bad. If you're lucky, the fuel tank stayed sealed with the vent above the water line. If not, your running off a remote tank.

First order of business is to clear the cylinders of water, and perform an oil change. Get it fired off and bring to operating temperature. Then change the oil while running the engine for at least 10 minutes between oil changes until you get clean, non milkshakey oil. I had engines take as few as 3 oil changes during a pickling and as many as 9. The only boat EVER that I was not able to save is what is now MY Ultra 247XS. She sank 3 times in the previous 2 owners' care. .....destiny I suppose.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Man that sucks! What a bummer!

can you update the thread as things progress? I am interested on how the process works.

slightly off topic
my friends house flooded and the insurance company depreciated the drywall and paint costs but then the Same insurance company pays more if you can justify the added expense....

it’s kind of mind boggling how the process works.

We have a friend that has had their house remodeled 3 times in 6 years due to 3 “floods” caused by his “kids clogging the sink”

He is an insurance adjuster by trade...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Surprise bilge flows are outstanding. I thought i had a leak in the sponson of our Magic. Turns out it was the damn wash down hose. The switch would get accidentally flipped on and fill it up.
Worst part about my incident, my Mom was with us. She was going through chemo, was actually her last trip...I played it off as no big deal. Ran that pump about four hours straight! Told her the packing must have been leaking a bit.

Funny, almost sunk my boat, but one of the best memories of river trips. Hadn't thought about until now, but that was the same weekend. Fixed the leaking T, but I think the boat only went out once after. Been sitting in the garage since.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Sorry about your loss, but thanks for posting.
Through this thread I have learned about 'pickling.'
Always more to learn.

Best wishes on your outcome...

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Hopefully you get her back in shape, that's a good looking old Magic! Good luck with the insurance company.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Local Dr friend sunk his 20' Hawiian 1week back on Sunday , we recovered it last Monday dryed it out ,pickled it repaired all electrical components and lit it up yesterday on a divorced fuel system , has a lot of minor mitigation work left but it will live !

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I had a Calabria that "sunk" in the driveway....left plug in, went through divorce, moved out....boat sat 2 winters with cover on....when I finally went to pick it up, pulled cover off and boat was full about 2" above the floor line with water...wasn't sure if insurance would cover it, but called Progressive, and sure enough they said it was covered....took into the shop, they did a complete new floor, new interior, and mostly all new motor parts that were rusted/corroded from moisture....$500 deductible, and I had that boat for another 6 years before I sold it

wzuber

Reaction score
We have a friend that has had their house remodeled 3 times in 6 years due to 3 “floods” caused by his “kids clogging the sink”

He is an insurance adjuster by trade...
Oh.....you conspiracy theorists R all alike......haha
I guess it's viewed as industry insider perk and they don't eat their own?

Duramax

Reaction score
My Glastron CVX 16 came damn close. We had parked at a sandbar and for some reason everyone was sitting on my boat. The bilge pump fitting for the hose actually went under the water because of the weight, and back filled the boat. I looked at it and thought it looked low so I walked over and the damn cooler was floating! Everyone got off, and the pump ran for a good hour and came back up. Fired up and off we went.
I lost a turbo water line that started to fill the boat up too. People starting screaming in the back because the hot water was filling up the boat! I beached it and pumped that out too, lol.

Jyruiz

Next to this Hottie.
Reaction score
That sucks, hope the insurance takes care of it.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I wouldn't be pickling anything but a fat check for a new used boat.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I gotta ask, does anybody install a high water audible alarm for bilges or sump crocks? Theyre cheap. $25.00 at Grainger.
Water hits the contacts, 2 little wires. 9V battery. Alarm starts screaming......
Josh and I talked about this yesterday , loud buzzer and a water witch or float switch works

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Didn't make it far out of the Marina, I know that when you have smoke? exhaust? Steam? coming out of the engine hatch its not good. We just shut it down, and had my friends tow it to the slip. I had a houseboat that needed to get anchored on the beach so I didn't even look. Probably not the best decision.
I get it. Thanks for qualifying that.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
This makes me want to remind folks to store their boats (longer term) with the drive down. Less stress on bellow. The smell thing makes me think no water to exhaust, burnt rubber....
Thats a good tip I wasn't aware of... makes sense.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Oh man, we could start a new thread on the plug thing, right fellas.... we've all made that mistake.

Ladsm

Reaction score
This thread has me thinking, Everytime I dump my boat in at Princess Cove on Lake Mohave and back out off of the trailer I get a ton of water in my bilge. I wonder if by bilge port is going under water and back feeding into the boat when launching on a steep angle. Gonna have to hang off the back and watch next time.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Never have. I always check everything at the house, and then a walk around in the ready lane, while everyone is loading up.
Not me .... I begin to party at the ramp..... I learned to never take my plug out lol. Dry as a bone down there.... flush it out in winter just to give er a douche'.

Pelon

Reaction score
Nothing visually obvious.

motor 1.jpg

Interior is rough!
interior damage 1.jpg
rub rail damage no 1.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Oh.....you conspiracy theorists R all alike......haha
I guess it's viewed as industry insider perk and they don't eat their own?

I think that is an “accident” they just don’t investigate. The first 2 remodels the wife complained about the finishes, flooring, etc lol.

Pelon

Reaction score
Any updates?

Still waiting on Progressive. They first got back to me and said boat would be valued at $11,000, I would have to by it back. I would receive that price minus the salvage value. I said no. Did a little research and found boats similar to mine valued at much more. Suppose to hear from them in the up coming week.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Yes motor seems to be fine. Starts right up. Motor and drive need to come out to fix the seal.

So....if the motor runs fine, aside from fixing the interior and the bow rail and recovery costs...what money do you need from the insurance company to make you whole?

Pelon

Reaction score
Good question, I haven't got a complete estimate from a shop, but I have been running budget numbers in my head. Motor needs to come out, interior is trash and needs to be redone. Stereo, maybe, rub rail and minor gel work. I am thinking I need 12 to 15k. I would do all the plywood rework of the interior myself.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The stereo was marine grade...right?....Have them warranty it.

Why does the motor need to come out? Wet interior doesn't need to be replaced...it needs the staples taken out...the foam dried out, then put back together. If the wood is shitty...it was done shitty in the first place and honestly, that's not the insurance company's problem. Gel and rub rail shouldn't be more than a few grand from what I've seen in the pictures. Replacement cushions for what floated away aren't more than a few hundred a piece.

As one who's had a couple boats on the bottom of the river...that's $5K worth of fixing if you put a small bit of effort into it. I'd take the $11K and run with it....do what you can on your own, sub out the rest and you'll have river money for next summer.

Pelon

Reaction score

Why does the motor need to come out? Wet interior doesn't need to be replaced...it needs the staples taken out...the foam dried out, then put back together. If the wood is shitty...it was done shitty in the first place and honestly, that's not the insurance company's problem. Gel and rub rail shouldn't be more than a few grand from what I've seen in the pictures. Replacement cushions for what floated away aren't more than a few hundred a piece.

As one who's had a couple boats on the bottom of the river...that's $5K worth of fixing if you put a small bit of effort into it. I'd take the $11K and run with it....do what you can on your own, sub out the rest and you'll have river money for next summer.

Exhaust boot is toast. That is what caused boat to sink. Motor and drive need to come out to replace. Plywood was water logged and is delaminting. Stereo may be ok. Everything that is electrical and under water needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Exhaust boo

Exhaust boot is toast. That is what caused boat to sink. Motor and drive need to come out to replace. Plywood was water logged and is delaminting. Stereo may be ok. Everything that is electrical and under water needs to be replaced.
They have a decent argument for negligence if if it was a maint. Issue (exhaust boot)...choose your battles, is all I’m saying.

Ladsm

Reaction score
This thread has me thinking, Everytime I dump my boat in at Princess Cove on Lake Mohave and back out off of the trailer I get a ton of water in my bilge. I wonder if by bilge port is going under water and back feeding into the boat when launching on a steep angle. Gonna have to hang off the back and watch next time.

I figured out where my water was coming from, The Bravo 1 stern drive bolts were loose. When I backed off the trailer it sucked the drive back and took on water, put it in forward and she pushed the drive back up tight to the hull. Read on Riverwhips its common.

wzuber

Reaction score
Ended up getting 14k and I keep the boat. If I wanted to give up the boat I would have received 17.5 k. Time to get to work!
Nice job. She gunna b fresh for next season. What's in the plans?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Ended up getting 14k and I keep the boat. If I wanted to give up the boat I would have received 17.5 k. Time to get to work!

Sounds to me like you got a pretty fair shake considering.

So the water leak was found at the base of the ypipe??

Taboma

Reaction score
If these bolts were loose and over time water had seeped in, was this problem getting worse over time as the transom suffered dry-rot from the water intrusion.
Thus allowing the nuts to further compress in the soft wood and the drive becoming increasingly loose, eventually resulting in this sinking.

Pelon

Reaction score
Nice job. She gunna b fresh for next season. What's in the plans?

Total new interior, including new plywood, maybe freshen up the motor, have not made a decision on that yet.