WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My boat sunk this weekend!

Pelon

Reaction score
I was entertaining a group of family and friends this weekend at Temple Bar. As we were headed out of the Marina, something started smoking. We had other boats, so I put mine in a slip and figured I would come back in the morning to put it on the trailer. Came back in the morning to this!

boat sunk 1.jpg

boat sunk 3.jpg
boat sunk 4.jpg

sintax

Reaction score
oh man thats heart breaking. Hopefully the insurance process goes smoothly.

EBT531

Reaction score
So does insurance junk a boat once it sinks? Or do they pay to go thru everything and make it right assuming you don't exceed a certain percentage of value?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Get the engine pickled immediately.

I'm sure there are many others on the board more local to you, but I am more than happy to help guide you through the insurance process from the mechanical and reliability stand point. I handle a lot of insurance "sinkers" PM me if you need anything.

boatnam2

Reaction score
That sucks, especially in this time of high used boat prices if trying to replace it. Hopefully insurance will pay you big on it.

Pelon

Reaction score
So does insurance junk a boat once it sinks? Or do they pay to go thru everything and make it right assuming you don't exceed a certain percentage of value?

That is a good question! Sea Tow took the boat to their yard in Mohave Valley. Said they keep it until they get paid. They already called and said I could come pick it up. Off to Mohave Valley shortly. Progressive called first thing this morning and took a statement. Don't know yet if they will cover all repairs or just cut a check. It is a 1998 Magic.

Taboma

Reaction score

I'm sure there are many others on the board more local to you, but I am more than happy to help guide you through the insurance process from the mechanical and reliability stand point. I handle a lot of insurance "sinkers" PM me if you need anything.

Since I know you're in the boat repair business, you may be the one to ask.

You bring up a great point. If not insured, then for sure, pickle the engine, do whatever you can to protect your investment since all expenses are out of your wallet.
But, if you have full coverage, do you care ? Isn't the goal to get a fresh engine or at least one that's been completely gone through ?
How in your experience how do insurance companies handle a freshwater sinking ?

Pelon

Reaction score

Where are you located? I will need somebody for the repairs. They could not find any one in Mohave Valley to pickle the engine. I am on my way out there shortly to pick it up and Pickle it myself.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Where are you located? I will need somebody for the repairs. They could not find any one in Mohave Valley to pickle the engine. I am on my way out there shortly to pick it up and Pickle in myself.

Austin, Tx

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Progressive took unbelievably great care of me when my boat was damaged. I received the check quickly and it was for more than I expected...

Best of luck!

Jay Dub

Reaction score
heartbreaking. be prepared and forewarned that insurance will try to drag this out. They are not your friend. You will have to be your own advocate. Hopefully you have agreed value insurance.

Pelon

Reaction score
Progressive took unbelievably great care of me when my boat was damaged. I received the check quickly and it was for more than I expected...

Best of luck!

That's good to Hear! Sea Tow said Progressive was the best to deal with. Said State Farm was the worst.

DLC

Reaction score
Man that sucks! What a bummer!

can you update the thread as things progress? I am interested on how the process works.

slightly off topic
my friends house flooded and the insurance company depreciated the drywall and paint costs but then the Same insurance company pays more if you can justify the added expense....

it’s kind of mind boggling how the process works.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Since I know you're in the boat repair business, you may be the one to ask.

You bring up a great point. If not insured, then for sure, pickle the engine, do whatever you can to protect your investment since all expenses are out of your wallet.
But, if you have full coverage, do you care ? Isn't the goal to get a fresh engine or at least one that's been completely gone through ?
How in your experience how do insurance companies handle a freshwater sinking ?

Its handled the same way as a salt water sinking. You most importantly want to take it to a shop that is going to operate preemptively. The problem with a new engine is a lot of times thats going to total out the boat. Granted on a fuel injected engine, to get it right again is still going to be thousands of dollars if you do everything right and in a timely manner.

I don't know how it works out there. but in Texas, Progressive has a do-no-harm clause in almost all their policies. (9 out of 10 insurance jobs i handle are Progressive) if you sit on your hands and wait to file a claim and get an adjuster who is a dick, they can classify it as neglect and then you will be fighting them the entire way through the claim process.

They will cover an engine pickle every time. I have not had them deny one yet, even ones that were performed prior to the claim being filed.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I've seen this happen twice. First was a beautiful mahogany Chris Craft dockside at Lake Arrowhead. Totally submerged. 2nd was a nearly new Conquest at Lake Powell, about 90% submerged. Both boats recovered and made right by their owners. The Conquest went down due to no hydraulic loop in the bilge pump discharge line while it was beached on a steep incline. Nobody freaked out. With a lot of work, 4 of us were able to bail it out and refloat it. The next morning I towed it with the houseboat back to Wahweap while the owner remained onboard working on the engine of the Conquest. By that afternoon he had it running. He worked his ass off. They still have that Conquest. Without that hydraulic loop water was able to enter the boat when the bilge discharge was submerged.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Keep posting on this thread Pelon.... everyone is gonna be watching how Progressive treats you. I would like a small clarification if you don't mind: your original post stated "Something started smoking so you placed it in a slip and came back in morning." Can you be more specific.... what area was smoking? We all know where there's smoke there's fire typically.... you didn't say you had to extinguish anything.

franky

Reaction score
Keep posting on this thread Pelon.... everyone is gonna be watching how Progressive treats you. I would like a small clarification if you don't mind: your original post stated "Something started smoking so you placed it in a slip and came back in morning." Can you be more specific.... what area was smoking? We all know where there's smoke there's fire typically.... you didn't say you had to extinguish anything.
This makes me want to remind folks to store their boats (longer term) with the drive down. Less stress on bellow. The smell thing makes me think no water to exhaust, burnt rubber....

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
That's good to Hear! Sea Tow said Progressive was the best to deal with. Said State Farm was the worst.
Sorry for your loss.
I'd like to hear how Progressive works for you. I switched all my stuff to Progressive. Got rid of my insurance agent. She wouldn't recommend Progressive but I saved $1400 a year and better coverage than I had.
I have the sign n glide for towing and gas etc and also propulsion plus which covers repairs. I also have Sea Tow and they were great. Guess I'm over covered lol

Runs2rch

Reaction score
This makes me want to remind folks to store their boats (longer term) with the drive down. Less stress on bellow. The smell thing makes me think no water to exhaust, burnt rubber....

Always. If you don't know to store your boat with the drive(s) down, you have no business owning a boat.

Pelon

Reaction score

Didn't make it far out of the Marina, I know that when you have smoke? exhaust? Steam? coming out of the engine hatch its not good. We just shut it down, and had my friends tow it to the slip. I had a houseboat that needed to get anchored on the beach so I didn't even look. Probably not the best decision.

Singleton

Reaction score
That sucks!
Hope you get back on the water soon.

Pelon

Reaction score
Why didn't you verify if there was a leak? If so put it on the trailer right then.

I had a large group and a houseboat to get to the beach. I gave my truck keys to my friends. They made the decision to not put it on the trailer. When they told me I thought it would be fine until morning. Never had and issue before.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I had a large group and a houseboat to get to the beach. I gave my truck keys to my friends. They made the decision to not put it on the trailer. When they told me I thought it would be fine until morning. Never had and issue before.

Learning the hard way I guess. You always want to check everything especially after a failure when you smell burning.

Taboma

Reaction score
I've seen this happen twice. First was a beautiful mahogany Chris Craft dockside at Lake Arrowhead. Totally submerged. 2nd was a nearly new Conquest at Lake Powell, about 90% submerged. Both boats recovered and made right by their owners. The Conquest went down due to no hydraulic loop in the bilge pump discharge line while it was beached on a steep incline. Nobody freaked out. With a lot of work, 4 of us were able to bail it out and refloat it. The next morning I towed it with the houseboat back to Wahweap while the owner remained onboard working on the engine of the Conquest. By that afternoon he had it running. He worked his ass off. They still have that Conquest. Without that hydraulic loop water was able to enter the boat when the bilge discharge was submerged.

They'd sink an older Chris up at Arrowhead on occasion due to the self-bailing feature (clam-shell on bottom facing to the stern created suction). It had the U-pipe you referened, with one added feature, at the very top of the U was a tiny pin hole. That pin hole was the siphon breaker and if it got clogged or corroded shut, the auto-siphon could turn into a sinking siphon. So stinking a needle in it from time to time was the norm.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Keep me posted if you get an offer to buy it after it’s totaled. I love project boats.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
that's horrible, sorry to see this!

hope the other logistics go the way you need or want them to.

Duramax

Reaction score
[/Q

Damn, I would never just leave my boat. BUT, I get that you had people waiting on you and felt the need to go, it's just not me. Good luck man! Keep us updated!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Where are you located? I will need somebody for the repairs. They could not find any one in Mohave Valley to pickle the engine. I am on my way out there shortly to pick it up and Pickle it myself.
Then fill the whole damn thing full of water ASAP and keep it full. No air/no rust. Oil rises. Don’t drain the engine until you’re ready to tear into it. Fill it through the intake and oil fill...you want full of anything but air.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Bummer to see that. At least no one was hurt. Best to you getting things cleaned up and back in action

retaocleg

Reaction score
bummer, sorry about the boat...but love the can do attitude about it and finishing strong, kudos!👍👍👍

ps...your magician is a good running boat, no handling issues and really efficient, nice choice