WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Car Buying Saga Continues

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Some of you have seen some threads of me trying to buy a new car for the wife, we had decided on a Genesis GV80 but after having 3 cars get sold out from underneath me (2 of them with deposits down) we were left with such a bad taste in our mouth that we decided to move on from the brand.

Have a family friend that works at a BMW dealership, we were able to get a fair deal on an X5 build but were in a holding pattern until the 2022 build slots opened up, no worries.

This morning, the microchip shortage struck the X5 options and removed the "luxury seating package" which is a requirement for me because of the ventilated seats. One thing after another with this process.

hallett21

Reaction score
Can’t remember but did you need space for kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Can’t remember but did you need space for kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kids yet, planned in the near future. So wanting something in the luxury mid sized SUV class. X5, GV80, Merc GLE, Audi Q7 etc.

WYRD

Reaction score
No kids yet, planned in the near future. So wanting something in the luxury mid sized SUV class. X5, GV80, Merc GLE, Audi Q7 etc.
There was a nice Q8 for sale here don't know if it was sold yet but nice ride

KK12

Reaction score
I bought my wife a new Q7 last year and it’s a pretty nice car. She loves the thing. I put some vossens on it so it doesn’t look like such a mom mobile. She gets compliments on it a lot. I’d have no problem recommending the q7.

Reactions: DWC

RodnJen

Reaction score
A friend stopped by the other day in her new SQ7. She put her foot in it when leaving and it sounded badd-ass.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Have you tried Ogara Westlake? They sell Genesis, Text me if your info if want to check them out for inventory and I will hook you up with a manager there. 818-974-4555

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Have you tried Ogara Westlake? They sell Genesis, Text me if your info if want to check them out for inventory and I will hook you up with a manager there. 818-974-4555

I appreciate it, maybe after a cooling off period we will reconsider a Genesis. Just have a very bad taste in my mouth about the brand as a whole and I can't picture giving them a dime right now.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I appreciate it, maybe after a cooling off period we will reconsider a Genesis. Just have a very bad taste in my mouth about the brand as a whole and I can't picture giving them a dime right now.
Unfortunately, it's not the brand, but the industry. Short supply, high demand, the first one who signs the purchase agreement at the dealership that has the vehicle, wins.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's not the brand, but the industry. Short supply, high demand, the first one who signs the purchase agreement at the dealership that has the vehicle, wins.

I understand that, just overall I felt I was treated way better at the BMW dealer. You can tell they have been dealing with luxury purchases for 85 years.

The Hyundai dealers have been dealing with luxury purchases for 85 minutes.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Some of you have seen some threads of me trying to buy a new car for the wife, we had decided on a Genesis GV80 but after having 3 cars get sold out from underneath me (2 of them with deposits down) we were left with such a bad taste in our mouth that we decided to move on from the brand.

Have a family friend that works at a BMW dealership, we were able to get a fair deal on an X5 build but were in a holding pattern until the 2022 build slots opened up, no worries.

This morning, the microchip shortage struck the X5 options and removed the "luxury seating package" which is a requirement for me because of the ventilated seats. One thing after another with this process.

No ventilated seats? That's rough.

J5Daytona

Reaction score
My experience with the genesis brand was very very bad . We purchased one in 2014 I believe and it was a nightmare car , the depreciation alone would guarantee I never buy another one . The service department at two different dealers were awful and they always had some interesting reason that something was not included under warranty , I've worked in various stages of auto repair my entire life and some of the excuses they came up with were mind boggling . Example the module for the variable brake pressure went out because my ex wife made too many panic stops and pushed the brake pedal too hard ....WTF ??? Maybe they've improved in the last 6 or 7 years but I would sooner drive a clapped out chevy caprice before buying a hyundai product again . On another note Have you looked at the new expedition ? Current wife loves hers and averages 22 mpg in that big thing .

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My experience with the genesis brand was very very bad . We purchased one in 2014 I believe and it was a nightmare car , the depreciation alone would guarantee I never buy another one . The service department at two different dealers were awful and they always had some interesting reason that something was not included under warranty , I've worked in various stages of auto repair my entire life and some of the excuses they came up with were mind boggling . Example the module for the variable brake pressure went out because my ex wife made too many panic stops and pushed the brake pedal too hard ....WTF ??? Maybe they've improved in the last 6 or 7 years but I would sooner drive a clapped out chevy caprice before buying a hyundai product again . On another note Have you looked at the new expedition ? Current wife loves hers and averages 22 mpg in that big thing .

Haven't looked at an exp, wife has said they are too big for her to DD. Looked at an explorer, wasn't very impressed.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Have you looked at the VW atlas and atlas cross sport? My old lady is SUPER picky, and ended up in a Atlas cross sport SEL premium. She loves it, and it’s loaded. Peoria VW has always treated us well, my dad bought an Atlas from them in 2019. Prior to the cross sport she had 2 Tahoes and 2 Jeep GCs. She prefers the cross sport. It has heated/cooled seats, full driver assist, pano sunroof, lots of features for the money. Here it is after ceramic coat:
6CCF4FB6-54F6-46FB-A42D-FC3B38808F1E.jpeg
244E9802-0E10-4F5E-A941-9FDC10519FA3.jpeg
09948389-094E-4371-9EC8-D3D07A8CA473.jpeg
EB47FCD9-98CE-49F1-B17C-9883EC7D8700.jpeg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Have you looked at the VW atlas and atlas cross sport? My old lady is SUPER picky, and ended up in a Atlas cross sport SEL premium. She loves it, and it’s loaded. Peoria VW has always treated us well, my dad bought an Atlas from them in 2019. Prior to the cross sport she had 2 Tahoes and 2 Jeep GCs. She prefers the cross sport. It has heated/cooled seats, full driver assist, pano sunroof, lots of features for the money. Here it is after ceramic coat:
View attachment 1014777 View attachment 1014778 View attachment 1014779 View attachment 1014780

Yeah we have looked at them and been impressed, the SEL premiums are rare as hens teeth right now and going over sticker

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Don't remember, but do you need to buy a car right now? As you already know, not really the right time....

pkbullet

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, in this market if you see something you want buy it don’t put down a deposit. Someone will outbid you or be willing to complete purchase on the spot. I am not trying to excuse dealer from taking a deposit that they have no plan to honor.

j21black

Reaction score
I know first world problems and all that, but if I am dropping the coin on a new car, I want one that will help with my swamp ass on road trips.

Having AC seats, I can tell you - All it does is make your ass feel wet. I never use mine.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Don't remember, but do you need to buy a car right now? As you already know, not really the right time....

Need? no. Unfortunately we have gotten so deep into the process on multiple different vehicles that we are very emotionally invested in getting something now.

Just a suggestion, in this market if you see something you want buy it don’t put down a deposit. Someone will outbid you or be willing to complete purchase on the spot. I am not trying to excuse dealer from taking a deposit that they have no plan to honor.

These were out of state deals so deposit was the only way to do it unfortunately.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Need? no. Unfortunately we have gotten so deep into the process on multiple different vehicles that we are very emotionally invested in getting something now.

These were out of state deals so deposit was the only way to do it unfortunately.
We DocuSign out of state customers or take a wire. We won’t just take a deposit, prevents issues like this. Good luck it is crazy out there, dealers volume is predetermined currently by inventory so all they are chasing is the biggest gross. Most of us have roughly 10% of normal inventory but all the same expenses.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Just wondering if you considered Lincoln. They have some pretty cool stuff right now.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Having AC seats, I can tell you - All it does is make your ass feel wet. I never use mine.

I have ridden a few with ventilated and a few with pure cooled (they are different) and haven't experienced that.

We DocuSign out of state customers or take a wire. We won’t just take a deposit, prevents issues like this. Good luck it is crazy out there, dealers volume is predetermined currently by inventory so all they are chasing is the biggest gross. Most of us have roughly 10% of normal inventory but all the same expenses.

Docusign makes so much more sense, these guys were saying that I'd have to fly in to do the paperwork. Not ideal, but something I was willing to do.

Sent you a PM also

Just wondering if you considered Lincoln. They have some pretty cool stuff right now.

Haven't had a chance to see an Aviator yet, I am very intrigued by it as what didn't impress us about the explorer was interior quality, Lincoln should solve that. Only ones that were on the lot back when I was looking was the 75-80k special reserve package.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I see that the VW Atlas was mentioned - My wife has been driving an Atlas SEL for about 3 years and it's been great. Lots of room and drives well. It is not a luxury vehicle and the finishes are nice but not on par with BMW/MBZ/Audi, etc, however the price is also not on par with the luxury brands so that is OK.

I have not looked at them very closely, but the Lincoln Aviators look pretty nice to me and would consider those as a next car.

pkbullet

Reaction score
The Lincoln’s are nice but at least in my neck of the wood their aren’t any. I have one in stock and one coming total all lines.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I bought a Escalade yesterday. Wasn’t easy getting what I wanted and had to jump when it arrived.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I bought a Escalade yesterday. Wasn’t easy getting what I wanted and had to jump when it arrived.
Does your Slade have Super Cruise? We are looking at all of the big luxury SUVs also, Slade (only with Super Cruise), Genesis and Lincoln. In no hurry, going to let the buying fury die down a bit.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The Lincoln’s are nice but at least in my neck of the wood their aren’t any. I have one in stock and one coming total all lines.

According to the interwebs, there are currently zero aviators in stock in the entire phoenix metro area.

c_land

Reaction score
Does your Slade have Super Cruise? We are looking at all of the big luxury SUVs also, Slade (only with Super Cruise), Genesis and Lincoln. In no hurry, going to let the buying fury die down a bit.
I Didn't know about that Super Cruise in the escalades. Super cool feature.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

We have looked at these a couple months ago. Kind of becoming rare.

I still need it to tow a boat so the V6 will be needed. The power ratings just OK but the mileage ratings are poor. However we liked the vehicle and its very roomy inside.
There is allot going on there for the 41k sticker on the one we looked at.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
We have looked at these a couple months ago. Kind of becoming rare.

I still need it to tow a boat so the V6 will be needed. The power ratings just OK but the mileage ratings are poor. However we liked the vehicle and its very roomy inside.
There is allot going on there for the 41k sticker on the one we looked at.

One thing I will point out on the Atlas that both me and my wife noticed is that it's driving dynamics are different being that it is fundamentally FWD. Even with the AWD option, it is still primarily FWD. It's great for packaging and makes the interior much bigger for a similar exterior dimension car that has a RWD layout. Just makes driving dynamics feel different. I have no data or experience with this, but I would hazard to guess a vehicle with RWD architecture will perform better towing.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
One thing I will point out on the Atlas that both me and my wife noticed is that it's driving dynamics are different being that it is fundamentally FWD. Even with the AWD option, it is still primarily FWD. It's great for packaging and makes the interior much bigger for a similar exterior dimension car that has a RWD layout. Just makes driving dynamics feel different. I have no data or experience with this, but I would hazard to guess a vehicle with RWD architecture will perform better towing.

I should have clarified towing. From storage on the CA side to gas up the boat in Parker and back. I cant find a tow rating for the turbo engine.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I should have clarified towing. From storage on the CA side to gas up the boat in Parker and back. I cant find a tow rating for the turbo engine.

Makes sense, I should clarify that it's not like the Atlas drove badly, it was just different than some of it's RWD counterparts. We preferred the RWD feeling

RodnJen

Reaction score

My neighbor works at a dealership in SoCal. He said he can't keep them in stock. As soon as the delivery truck shows up, they're gone.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My dad has a 19 Atlas SE VR6 FWD. It drives nice, and has a good amount of power. Does show some torque steer if you’re really getting on it. He sees high teens- low 20’s in mostly urban PHX driving.

The missus has a SEL premium 4motion 2.0t. The 4motion drives much better than the fwd, less jerky- just nice and smooth. She sees mid 20’s, including a 90 mile round trip daily commute at 70+ mph. The premium is quite a bit nicer inside, and the cooled seats work terrifically. She works nights so we needed a car with a full driver assist suite because she is usually tired on her drive home. The car will steer, brake, and stop itself if needed, and offers a wake up alert if she is tired. Not many other vehicles in this price range have the same level of autonomy. We considered Volvo, and she didn’t want a tesla. I think she paid around 44k for hers in April.

I drove every version of the Atlas when my dad was shopping, and just about every midsize SUV on the market. I prefer the VR6 to the 2.0, but the 2.0 has plenty of power and gets better mileage. I would consider 4motion mandatory, just for the improvement in drive quality.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
View attachment 1014777 View attachment 1014778 View attachment 1014779 View attachment 1014780
I had an Atlas rental a couple of weeks ago. It was rental trim, but actually pretty nice. My dad has a Q8 and it is great. Also, I love my S4, but I think I'm going electric next.

Taboma

Reaction score
A friend stopped by the other day in her new SQ7. She put her foot in it when leaving and it sounded badd-ass.

No kids here, so my wife drives a 16' Supercharged SQ5. Fun to drive and she's always got the exhaust set on Dynamic mode, so it has a nice rip when the baffles open after about 3400 RPM. Last of the Germany made ones before the shift to Pueblo Mex. Been a great car, no issues other than a wonky software audio glitch that got handled.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
jeep is about to launch the new grand Cherokee L. Seemed pretty cool in the review and pictures.

You can get them from mild to wild as far as luxury goes.

fmo24

Reaction score
jeep is about to launch the new grand Cherokee L. Seemed pretty cool in the review and pictures.

You can get them from mild to wild as far as luxury goes.
Saw on motortrend I believe the grand wagoneer is coming back. High80’s $. Loaded with luxury lol

Reactions: DWC

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Car buying now or anytime sucks. I have been shopping for a few days for a small luxury SUV. Crazy how nobody helps me when I pull up in my company work truck. I pulled into Mercedes, Lexus and BMW and if I did get helped it took 10 min of me walking around in the 115 degree heat looking in windows of cars. I went to the Alfa Romeo dealer here in Vegas and they were over the top nice and helped me the second I was looking. Plus I think the Stelvio is bad ass compared to the other small SUVs we looked at. May pull the trigger tomorrow on one with the blacked out sport package.

It blows my mind these car sales people are on commission. They sure don't seem to want to sell! Car dealerships are so damn toxic and it's really not the salesperson's fault; it's the management that doesn't train them correctly. Every dealer I have ever set foot in the sales managers are sitting in their office playing on their phones.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Car buying now or anytime sucks. I have been shopping for a few days for a small luxury SUV. Crazy how nobody helps me when I pull up in my company work truck. I pulled into Mercedes, Lexus and BMW and if I did get helped it took 10 min of me walking around in the 115 degree heat looking in windows of cars. I went to the Alfa Romeo dealer here in Vegas and they were over the top nice and helped me the second I was looking. Plus I think the Stelvio is bad ass compared to the other small SUVs we looked at. May pull the trigger tomorrow on one with the blacked out sport package.

It blows my mind these car sales people are on commission. They sure don't seem to want to sell! Car dealerships are so damn toxic and it's really not the salesperson's fault; it's the management that doesn't train them correctly. Every dealer I have ever set foot in the sales managers are sitting in their office playing on their phones.
Stelvio, tight athletic SUV, at least according to C&D. Should be fun. Base engine gets you a 14 second 1/4 mile. Now the Quadrifoglio o_O

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I agree that it's a very frustrating process...

About 2 weeks ago, I stood right outside of a Ford dealer & walked around a '17 Focus RS for about 15mins & no one came outside to see if I needed any help or to at least unlock it for me. I don't know if this is a California thing or if out-of-state dealers are like this as well. They also refuse to lower the prices on the Focus RS because it's such a rare car & all of the pre-owned '18s are priced over MSRP, it's a joke. I've texted a few sales guys to get a walk-around video & they seem dis-interested to even want to do that. Apparently the 'price is the price' these days, how stupid.

Out-of-state prices are a wash-out, because after a 1500-2000k shipping charge & then taking a day off of work to go to the DMV for an emissions inspection, is it really worth it? Plus I don't like the whole Doc-u sign idea & committing to spending that much money without seeing & touching a used car in person.

Someone had mentioned earlier about now's not a good time to buy.... So when will be? Will there ever be? Things are just different now & everything is so overpriced. I sat inside of a brand new '18 RR RS in April of 2018 & they wanted 38k for it. I thought that was an insane price for a Focus, so I figured I'd wait 2-3yrs & save some money. And now look? If I want a low mileage RS that hasn't bounced around owners & is reliable, I'll be paying close to or above MSRP. It's so damn frustrating & dealers won't budge on their prices because it's a rare special car.

In another year when there are more cars than there are people that want to buy them, prices will be cheaper, and used car prices will fall again.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

We've struggled with this as well from a few of the dealers we went to. We roll up in an old Ford Fusion, and my wife and I look pretty young still.

We dealt with it the most when we were buying our motorhome last year. We would go onto the lots and ask what their pre-owned inventory was and on more than one occasion, the sales person said "we probably don't have anything in your budget"