WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My COVID 19 Experience- Long Post

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
The short version of my story is nobody should roll the dice with this crap, as each individual outcome is subject to so many variables and NOBODY has all the answers (probably never will).

I am still early in the recovery process as I just got released from the hospital after a 6 night stay at the Mayo Clinic in PHX, a story unto itself, and in my opinion, the most important factor in my survival, and a topic for a different thread.

I have a long term underlying respiratory disease that has been well managed for the last 5+ years thanks to some incredible medical care and diligent maintenance and follow up on my part (thankfully, I am pretty “healthy”, despite the issue). I knew that I didn’t want to experiment with this disease on top of my underlying issues, especially with limited resources here in town (on a good day).

My hospitalization started after a week of self isolation after I began to experience a significant headache/sinus pressure and 101 degree fever that lasted for 3 days. Eventually, I sought treatment at a local urgent care and was prescribed some antibiotics, including an injection to kick things off. No Covid test was available at that time, but logic dictated that we monitor my symptoms for further progression.

Sure enough, within the next 3 days, I began to experience a dry, barely productive cough that continued to worsen each day and experiencing SOB each night, with headaches and fever returning in a random fashion, eventually topping out over 102...After much debate and attempts to justify that I was improving, I eventually ended up at the Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center ED for my SOB.

The staff was attentive, and was obviously doing their best given the circumstances they are facing including limited space, PPE, and resources here. I tested positive, had a few additional procedures, and then got the best news possible- the hospital already was over capacity with 12 new Covid patients and no beds...

The ED Doc offered to attempt to broker my transfer and I immediately requested Mayo, with no other option. Reluctantly, he launched the effort and was successful in securing a bed. Following a 4 hour ambulance ride, I was rolled in and the professionals at Mayo dove in head first with an extremely aggressive treatment plan. Starting immediately, and continuing over the next 120+ hours, at regular intervals I received remdesivir, convalescent plasma, high dose antibiotics, steroids, a blood thinner, and other supportive meds. I was swarmed by dedicated professionals and through the confusion, a pulmonologist leaned in and warned me that I was within hours of needing mechanical ventilation if things didn’t change quickly. He warned me that the best thing I could do was to get prone in order to get the fluid in my lungs to spread out. For the next 96 hours, if I wasn’t trying to eat or drink, I was flat on my chest, just breathing...

The plan worked, and I was fortunate enough to turn the corner on day 4, and monitoring my progress became the priority.

Now that I am home, I will receive a support and monitoring kit from Mayo, that will continue to track my progress through my O2 saturation levels, temperature, weight regain (almost 20 lbs melted off over the hospital stay- much of it muscle), BP, and activity tolerance.

Still coughing up old debris, and probably will be for a while. After going back over my calendar, and considering the fact that I had attempted to be as careful as I could, I have not identified anyone that I came into contact with who has been sick...

Sorry for the long story, be careful out there, once you’re sick, your ability to control the outcome is limited.

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Glad you’re on the road to recovery. 👍

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
thanks for writing up your personal SCARY COVID experience...
I'm glad your currently on the downside....
its amazing how it effects people differently...
Prayers wishing a Full speedy recovery....

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Good thing you got to the hospital and the Mayo. Old School Boats Joe was arguing in another thread he would never go to the hospital for Covid and that they only put you in the hospital so they can get free government money. Sounds like if you didn’t go you might not be here to talk about it. Hope your recovery goes well. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, what a story. Good to hear that your health is moving in the right direction!!!!!

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
My wife’s hospital is out of positive air pressure rooms forcing COVID positive patients into regular rooms. That in turn has the entire staff wearing pressure suits with filtered air (like pic below). Jesus people, wear a simple mask any time you are in public and avoid crowds. It’s not that hard. If it helps even a little, it is worth it.
2CDCA45F-9BA7-4251-98B0-7121B0CFB17D.jpeg

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Any idea how you got it?
No idea. Most probably a random contact or an asymptotic carrier- I reviewed my calendar for a month prior to my symptoms, and nobody I know has been sick.

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
My wife’s hospital is out of positive air pressure rooms forcing COVID positive patients into regular rooms. That in turn has the entire staff wearing pressure suits with filtered air (like pic below). Jesus people, wear a simple mask any time you are in public and avoid crowds. It’s not that hard. If it helps even a little, it is worth it.
View attachment 897118

Yeah, the impact this is having on healthcare providers is unreal, with no let up in sight. The professionals at Mayo are upholding some stellar efforts to minimize the impact on the patients and staff members, but the costs are significant, and I have a genuine concern for the sustainability moving forward.

Best of luck to your wife and dedicated coworkers, I hope she can stay safe!

Last edited:

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Good thing you got to the hospital and the Mayo. Old School Boats Joe was arguing in another thread he would never go to the hospital for Covid and that they only put you in the hospital so they can get free government money. Sounds like if you didn’t go you might not be here to talk about it. Hope your recovery goes well. [emoji106]

Thanks.

Not sure about the federal funding mechanisms, but after 30 years of EMS experience in the Southern California fire service, I am not sure where else patients with pneumonia are supposed to get treatment besides hospitals???

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
View attachment 897118
So a simple mask is the same as a pressure suit?

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Serious question, how does a bandana compare to a positive pressure suit?

edit after thinking about this:

The reason I ask, is reality, and honestly no need for you to respond. Reality is people are rewearing and improperly wearing masks.

What happens when a Covid positive person wears a bandana and coughs and sneezes into it? It catches the virus. Awesome. They then take it off to get in the car. They get to their next stop and put it back on. This time it’s reversed and the outside of the bandana is now against their nose and they continue to cough and sneeze, but the bandana catches all the gnarly virus. Cool.

Now, since they’re wearing a wet bandana they scratch their nose, but it’s cool because they have on gloves.

Now, since they are in the fruit isle at the local Ralph’s, they squeeze the avocados and after touching 6 choose one.

Thank god they didn’t sneeze or cough on anyone.

They did however, spread the virus EVERYWHERE. The door, the cart, the glass to check on frozen berries, the Chex cereal box that fell on the ground that they so graciously picked up and returned to the shelf.

But no worries, that bandana MAY get washed, since they live in an apartment and they don’t have access to a washing machine. A couple more days won’t hurt, the boogers and loogies are being caught, so everyone is safe. Friday it will get washed with all the other clothes, in cold water so it coats all the other garments with really nice germs, not just Covid.

See where I’m going? Advocates for masks say it’s easy and it helps protect you. Wrong. Advocates for masks are only worried about themselves, see the Bill Nye video on how masks work to se exactly how selfish he is. And do not fully understand how 90% of the mask wearing is done so incorrectly it’s a massive net negative.

As well, to the argument that we have to wear a mask to save your life, you should also say we should not drive, because we could kill you. We shouldn’t be in the sun because when we get skin cancer it could take up you hospital bed. It goes on and on. I don’t want slobs spreading their germs from their gross masks, but hey, I think things through. But people will call me selfish and say I’m trying to kill grandma, when in fact it’s just the opposite.

Don’t rely on others to DO YOUR JOB.

Sorry, but this is no different from flu season. If you are sick or think you may be sick stay home. If you are worried there are sick people around, stay home. If you can’t, then get a mask that filters incoming germs, a face shield or goggles, and don’t transfer gems to your nose or eyes.

If it were as easy as just wearing a mask, God would have given us one at birth...

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

5-4-3-2 - Waiting on a response from OSB's

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

You took what he said sort of out of context.. and he’s not wrong. Hospitals get federal money for COVID patients. And they currently have most of their revenue streams cut off, so how are they supposed to make money?

If you are sick enough to go to the hospital, go to the damn hospital.

Hospitals are in fact taking more patients with lesser symptoms than they were a couple months ago.

It is great that BSP14 had a positive outcome.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
5-4-3-2 - Waiting on a response from OSB's

Lol. The way I took the no hospital comment: if I suspect I have Covid and I'm on the lucky side of it but being bad then there is no reason for me to go to the hospital. I'm going to stay home in isolation for the 2 plus weeks to make sure no one else gets sick.

Obviously if things started to go south like OP the. Of course I'm going to the hospital.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Great that you are on the way to recovery! Scary stuff.

Kind of personal question (you don't have to answer) but what age group do you fall into?

jet496

Reaction score
Keep us posted. Since I don't know anyone who's gotten it, I really like hearing some firsthand account. I hope you stay on the lighter end of it.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score

The reason I ask, is reality, and honestly no need for you to respond. Reality is people are rewearing and improperly wearing masks.

What happens when a Covid positive person wears a bandana and coughs and sneezes into it? It catches the virus. Awesome. They then take it off to get in the car. They get to their next stop and put it back on. This time it’s reversed and the outside of the bandana is now against their nose and they continue to cough and sneeze, but the bandana catches all the gnarly virus. Cool.

Now, since they’re wearing a wet bandana they scratch their nose, but it’s cool because they have on gloves.

Now, since they are in the fruit isle at the local Ralph’s, they squeeze the avocados and after touching 6 choose one.

They did however, spread the virus EVERYWHERE. The door, the cart, the glass to check on frozen berries, the Chex cereal box that fell on the ground that they so graciously picked up and returned to the shelf.

But no worries, that bandana MAY get washed, since they live in an apartment and they don’t have access to a washing machine. A couple more days won’t hurt, the boogers and loogies are being caught, so everyone is safe. Friday it will get washed with all the other clothes, in cold water so it coats all the other garments with really nice germs, not just Covid.

See where I’m going? Advocates for masks say it’s easy and it helps protect you. Wrong. Advocates for masks are only worried about themselves, see the Bill Nye video on how masks work to se exactly how selfish he is. And do not fully understand how 90% of the mask wearing is done so incorrectly it’s a massive net negative.

As well, to the argument that we have to wear a mask to save your life, you should also say we should not drive, because we could kill you. We shouldn’t be in the sun because when we get skin cancer it could take up you hospital bed. It goes on and on. I don’t want slobs spreading their germs from their gross masks, but hey, I think things through. But people will call me selfish and say I’m trying to kill grandma, when in fact it’s just the opposite.

Sorry, but this is no different from flu season. If you are sick or think you may be sick stay home. If you are worried there are sick people around, stay home. If you can’t, then get a mask that filters incoming germs, a face shield or goggles, and don’t transfer gems to your nose or eyes.

If it were as easy as just wearing a mask, God would have given us one at birth...
I did state that it is not foolproof. Do you wear a condom when banging strange you just met? If so, why? That is far more intrusive and inconvenient than a mask when shopping.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I did state that it is not foolproof. Do you wear a condom when banging strange you just met? If so, why? That is far more intrusive and inconvenient than a mask when shopping.
Are you referring to the mask that I am literally wearing over my eyes at this moment cause I can see right through it? And that will help fight this? Come on man!

At my last job I serviced the HVAC equipment at a large hospital in San Luis Obispo. WHenever we had to go into the Surgical wing you had to be in full scrubs or coveralls, shoe covers, and hair nets. NO MASKS REQUIRED. The ONLY time a mask was required was when an active surgery was going on and you were IN the OR. Even then, that mask is taken off EVERYTIME the person left the OR.

PPE works in hospitals and such because it is used properly and THROWN AWAY frequently. Improper PPE use is frequently more dangerous than not using it at all. And ALL I see is improper PPE use.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
I don’t bang strange. Same as if I am sick I stay home. Or if I think somewhere may get me sick, I stay away.

Notice all three of the above cases rely on MY SELF RESPONSIBILITY. I don’t ask you to keep me away from whores, nor would I ask you to wear a condom while I fuck the whore.

If you fear ME getting YOU sick, please by all means stay away. If you command me to wear a mask, so you might not get sick, I respectfully tell you, no. You can wear a mask if you want, in fact you should wear a good one that keeps germ out, but don’t tell ME to keep YOU safe.When you flip the construct, I would NEVER trust YOU to wear or use a mask correctly, so why would you do the same?

Self. Responsibility.

Stay safe, don’t trust anyone else to pretend to keep you safe.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
If a covid positive patient coughs the virus is spread, if that same patient wears a mask, the spread is decreased. Jesus, it's not that bad and could save a life.

1594334995550.png

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................................

4Waters

Reaction score
The condom is on for just a few minutes, when shopping or working or......... the mask is on from just a few minutes to 8+ hours, so yeah it's inconvenient.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
The way I look at it is like this. I’m 56 years old. I grew up sucking in stage 3 smog alerts while playing sports, skateboarding and riding bikes. Smoked a couple acres of weed back in the day to boot. I can only assume that I am not a good candidate for Rona and I don’t want to experiment and find out. If the mask helps even 5%, it’s worth the inconvenience. If it helps small businesses stay open, it’s totally worth the inconvenience. Do I see it leading to microchip implants, no, I didn’t smoke that much weed. I am also confident this will all pass with better understanding of the virus and how to beat it, antibody therapy, treatment and/or vaccine. Buy a little time for science, ok, I’m in. I don’t like being told what to do either.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Do I see it leading to microchip implants, no, I didn’t smoke that much weed.

It’s coming and if you want to participate in society 100%, you’ll need it.

10 K says it happens within the next 10 years and I don’t want payment in dollars, only gold maple leafs. If you buy 3 ounces now, you’ll have my payment covered in 2030. :p

gqchris

Reaction score
Any idea how you got it?

His wife is a healthcare worker from what I read? If thats the case, then its easy to figure out. Even if she is asymtomatic.

Glad to hear youre feeling better. Anyone with a lung disease/issue is at high risk with this!

Kfabe

Reaction score
He warned me that the best thing I could do was to get prone in order to get the fluid in my lungs to spread out. For the next 96 hours, if I wasn’t trying to eat or drink, I was flat on my chest, just breathing...

This advise to lay flat is very curious to me. I have 15 years as a paramedic and this goes against everything we usually do for people with fluid in their lungs. People with CHF in particular can’t lay flat as this will cause them to become very short of breath. Also laying flat would cause the fluid to take up more surface area in your lungs than if you where sitting upright. Just curious if you had any insight as to why they had you do this.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
This advise to lay flat on your back is very curious to me. I have 15 years as a paramedic and this goes against everything we usually do for people with fluid in their lungs. People with CHF in particular can’t lay flat as this will cause them to become very short of breath. Also laying flat on your back would cause the fluid to take up more surface area in your lungs than if you where sitting upright. Just curious if you had any insight as to why they had you do this.

Not medically trained one bit --- but what he wrote was " I was flat on my chest, just breathing... " but I find in that position it's extremely uncomfortable for my neck (Unless I'm on a chiropractors table) and it seems more difficult to breath.

500bbc

Reaction score

He did. nose hair

Kfabe

Reaction score
Not medically trained one bit --- but what he wrote was " I was flat on my chest, just breathing... " but I find in that position it's extremely uncomfortable for my neck (Unless I'm on a chiropractors table) and it seems more difficult to breath.

You're right he did say "prone" that is my mistake. I just got off shift. I will fix it in my previous post. The fluid would take up the same area prone or supine i believe. I also agree that it would be very uncomfortable.

Taboma

Reaction score
Your right he did say "prone" that is my mistake. I just got off shift. I will fix it in my previous post. The fluid taking up space would take up the same area prone or supine i believe.

Funny, my wife loves to sleep on her stomach, I hate it (And no I'm not fat 😁), so when I read about laying flat on his chest for 4 days, I thought, oh fuck, no way. 😳
All I know is, when I've got a lot of sinus drainage or some respiratory sick, laying prone causes me to start hacking, where as if I sit up, I'm fine. So I don't get it, but they're the docs, not me.

Kfabe

Reaction score
Funny, my wife loves to sleep on her stomach, I hate it (And no I'm not fat 😁), so when I read about laying flat on his chest for 4 days, I thought, oh fuck, no way. 😳
All I know is, when I've got a lot of sinus drainage or some respiratory sick, laying prone causes me to start hacking, where as if I sit up, I'm fine. So I don't get it, but they're the docs, not me.

I agree. I'm hoping that his Dr gave him some type of justification as to why he wanted him to lay flat. The advice just seems to go against most treatments for breathing problems.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I breathe just fine while wearing a condom. Not so much while wearing a mask. Wife's friend woke up in the hospital with stitches in her head only to be told she had passed out in the grocery store.

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
This advise to lay flat is very curious to me. I have 15 years as a paramedic and this goes against everything we usually do for people with fluid in their lungs. People with CHF in particular can’t lay flat as this will cause them to become very short of breath. Also laying flat would cause the fluid to take up more surface area in your lungs than if you where sitting upright. Just curious if you had any insight as to why they had you do this.

Yeah, 30 years as FF myself, literally 20K+ Medical aids, and that was news to me. Lots of years dealing with CHF old school method, (nitro/morphine/lasix) tripod position, high flow, listening to lungs before and after movement etc.

But, the issue being pneumonia and not cardiac related, being prone (not supine) was immediately impactful in a positive way. I was coughing productively at times, but my respiratory effort was way more effective. (Like from a RR of 50+ to a rate under 20). Of course, this was also supported with a high flow cannula setup with saline infusion for over 72 hours.

I definitely wouldn’t have thought that being prone was such a key. The Pulmonologist said the patients on ventilators in the Mayo ICU are spending up to 18 hours a day in the prone position. I was committed to as many hours as possible, and 20+ a day wasn’t too much considering the other options.

78Southwind

Reaction score
First of all thank goodness that you're out of the hospital and doing much better . If you don't mind talking about it what respiratory disease do you have? I have several family members with asthma and I'm concerned about them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kfabe

Reaction score
Yeah, 30 years as FF myself, literally 20K+ Medical aids, and that was news to me. Lots of years dealing with CHF old school method, (nitro/morphine/lasix) tripod position, high flow, listening to lungs before and after movement etc.

But, the issue being pneumonia and not cardiac related, being prone (not supine) was immediately impactful in a positive way. I was coughing productively at times, but my respiratory effort was way more effective. (Like from a RR of 50+ to a rate under 20). Of course, this was also supported with a high flow cannula setup with saline infusion for over 72 hours.

I definitely wouldn’t have thought that being prone was such a key. The Pulmonologist said the patients on ventilators in the Mayo ICU are spending up to 18 hours a day in the prone position. I was committed to as many hours as possible, and 20+ a day wasn’t too much considering the other options.

Thank you very much for the answer. While you where laying flat did they put you in a percussion vest or anything like that on to help break things up and help you cough them out. I had not heard that they where doing that with the pt's on the vents. Best of wishes in your recovery.

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the answer. While you where laying flat did they put you in a percussion vest or anything like that on to help break things up and help you cough them out. I had not heard that they where doing that with the pt's on the vents. Best of wishes in your recovery.
Thanks for the positive thoughts, I was very humbled by the experience of being a patient in acute status...

Negative on the percussion vest, but I was thinking that it would probably contribute positively overall. My impression is that the hospitals are just making the best of each situation, and resources are somewhat limited.

Even something as simple as a donut-shaped pillow, or message type bed would make being prone a lot easier for most patients.

For me, comfort was a luxury that didn’t concern me in the slightest...I was just happy to be breathing, any discomfort was temporary.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Laying in the prone position takes some of the weight of the cardiac system off the pulmonary cavity allowing better lung capacity & efficiency.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
would you say you are back to 100% or still recovering?