WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My dad had open heart surgery

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
My pops had a quadruple bypass yesterday. I spoke to him this morning and he sounded pretty good. Said it was the most pain he has ever had in his life. As I would kind of expect. My question is for the people who have had it done. Is there anything you needed or wished you had when you came home? I'm headed up to see him the 21st to help him out and see him. Thanks

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My father had this done 3-4 years ago now. He experienced pain, but not the worst he has had. Make sure he keeps up on the meds for a bit. Does he have a pillow? my father received a heart pillow from the hospital and this was used to bear hug when sitting up or down, etc. It would be good if he can have PT at home, it helped with recovery. He slept down stairs for a few weeks and couldn't ride in the front seat of a car for a period of time and drive as well.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
My Dad had that procedure 25 years ago and is fine today at 82. At the time, they told him hopefully he would have another 15 years.
Technology has advanced incredibly!
Everything in moderation and be extra careful... Best wishes.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Well,, an In n Out burger is out of the question. It's what my mom wanted,, and a cigarette.

Thanks that that surgery is available. Relatively new.
Close friend is a heart surgeon and said the pain is brutal.
They have to watch and be stingy with the pain meds because of their severe effect on the hearts functions.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well,, an In n Out burger is out of the question. It's what my mom wanted,, and a cigarette.

Thanks that that surgery is available. Relatively new.
Close friend is a heart surgeon and said the pain is brutal.
They have to watch and be stingy with the pain meds because of their severe effect on the hearts functions.
My Mom smoked a cig on way out of hospital after removing 50% of a lung, I said dam mom and her reply was what's it going to do kill me. Thiis was after a 8 year battle so she was right.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My buddy had a 3 bypasses done in last 5 years, 2 quads and a triple. I would go with keep the dope rolling he said the pain is rough.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Walk early and often.
I wasn't wheeled out of the hospital, I had to walk.
It took me almost 2 weeks to make it to the front gate and back (~200 ft.).
Heart pillow went with me everywhere for about 6 weeks.
I only had Tylenol for pain meds. (up to 1000 mg/day) I had tramidol (sp?) and only used one... didn't help me at all, made me jittery.

And yes a double double was my first non-hospital meal in 10 days. If i survived KMRC surgeons, in-n-out won't kill me.
My diet is considerably better now.

Things i wish I had?
Dancing girls and a full bar.
You know what my wife said.

Dan'l

And I don't recommend a 6 way bypass. Helluva scar.

Edit: surgery was 1/11/17.
I was 47.
Made it to 50 so far.
Still hurts.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
My Dad’s surgery 25 years ago- state of the art was to remove veins from your legs and implant them in to your chest...

Nowadays you have it much easier, still a bitch and a half though.

They told him it was 50 plus years of steaks, red meat and fried foods...

TexasJet

Reaction score
I had a triple and one stent 10 years ago. Keep him vertical as much as possible. Do not make him laugh by any means. The heart pillow is with him always. Short walks getting longer over the first two weeks. Peace and quiet. Follow all the advice from the doctors.

parker guy

Reaction score
I had open heart surgery 2 years ago

going to bed at home was very painful, take naps and rest up. My chest is still has painful spots today. Try not to sneeze, go for small walks 4-5 times a day once he gets home....use his breathing machine to help his lungs.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
my pops @PayDayClub had quadruple bypass about a year ago now. maybe a little more. Hes always lurking on here. I know hes been on here today cause he called me to say "wtf you sent in our ballots" haha. All i know is its a fuckin rough deal. Pops came out like a fuckin champ but thse days in the hospital and the first week at home were a motherfucker. Hes really lucky he has a wife that takes care of him haha

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
I had it 9 years ago @ 3# years old.... pain wasn’t particularly bad for me. It was the meds and hallucinating which bothered me while I was in the hospital. Keep the pillow hugged up tight when moving. Stay consistent with his breathing exercises and try to walk as much as he can. I was young with a unique procedure, but have the vertical chest scar to remind me. I was off pain narcotics by week 3... best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakemoto

Reaction score
My grandfather had a quadruple bypass at 75 he lasted till 83.but his thing was as he could never go to sleep every time he would fall asleep he would re-think he was having a heart attack and live through that experience would bother him all the time

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had 3 bypass and a new valve in April. Only real pain ws while in the hospital, when they removed the 3 drain tubes almost all my pain went away. The leg scar where the vein came from hurt the most. My biggest problem was sleeping as I am a side sleeper and you have to sleep on your back for a few months. That said have him start walking asap, doc told me he wanted me to be doing 1.5 miles by my first sppt with him, I was doing that by week 3.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My dad's a pretty tough guy but ill make sure he follows the Dr orders and keeps up with walking. Being day 2 he is very limited by the Dr and pain. It was a hard pill to swallow when the Dr first said they were surprised he was still alive. He was very active before this which amazed the Drs and I hope and I think he will be very active after. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Did he have a heart attack? Typically the recovery is longer with one as the heart is damaged and does not repair itself... My fathers was lucky that he didn't have one, but felt slight pain when exerting himself that made him to have it checked. Found out that his heart is about 50/50 in size from left to right side, typically its 70-30 or so and the dr said this helped him from not having a heart attack.

Wishing a speedy recovery.....

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
He did have a heart attack like 10 years ago. The dr. said his veins were growing from the back around his heart like tree roots to supply the heart with blood.