WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My eye. What would you do?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Serious question. It’s my vision so why not trust the opinion of you wise folks, right?

In 3-4 months I need to decide what to do.
My left eye vision is nothing more than detecting some movement and light/dark. I see a yellow-green haze and nearby objects that are red in color. The transplant I got is fine but took too long to heal from the poison still being present and wound up scarring and hence, the shit for vision. They had to do it immediately and not wait because The toxin melted a hole in my eye and it was leaking out. Think of the transplant they did as a band aid as well as a potential cure.

1. I can leave as is and go on about life fat, drunk and happy with one good eye.

2. I also have the option of another transplant attempt. Good: no toxin present should heal fine without scarring. Bad: much (3x) higher rejection rate due to the scarring and resulting blood vessel growth from the first one (a normal eye has no blood vessels on the cornea, they are below it). If it rejects, I have to go with option 3.

3. Last is artificial cornea aka KPro. Good: very low rejection risk. Bad: at risk of infection and subsequent eye removal (in worst case) for the rest of my life.

Whatcha all think? I am leaning toward leave as is but part of me wants one more stab at it. Not too keen on the artificial deal. Sounds too risky and invasive as if someone cutting and sewing your eyeball while you are strapped naked to a metal table isn’t invasive enough.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I had a foreign body enter my left eye when I was 17 at the end of my Junior year of high school. I had emergency surgery to remove the foreign body and then had 2 more surgeries over the summer due to a detached retina. I spent weeks on the couch (can't remember if it was face up or face down, but it had to due with an air bubble and making sure it stayed in place for retina healing) and all of the summer with a patch on. I am fortunate in that my eye healed pretty good, I just have a cataract that keeps me from having decent vision. It sounds like I can see things much better than you can. If I closed my good eye, I would be able to get around and can read things within 2' of my face, but out in the world its like I'm looking at everything underwater.

I often close my bad eye when driving and it is clear that even thought the vision is shit, I am getting lots of good data from it for whats in my periphery. Doctors have told me that surgery to repair the cataract isn't worth the risk, and I side with their opinions because I feel like I'm doing just fine in my current condition.

I would spend some time in normal daily life either with a patch on or with your eye closed and see if you truly could live without that eye because right now you do have the option of keeping it as-is. If you elect to stay as is, I suspect that over time, your brain will learn to only feed you the "good" data, the movement and shapes, and would hopefully leave out the bad or distracting data, the yellow green haze. If you elect to go with either surgery option you'll know what you will be missing if things go sideways. You also know the upside of how "normal" vision is.

My $0.02 - it sounds like your vision is pretty crappy and the upside potential is worth the risk of losing your eye permanently.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I would go with #3. Lowest rejection risk and the fewer times you have surgeries, the better off you'll be. Infection won't be all that likely as long as you keep it clean and stay up on the antibiotics.

Your eye is only good for winking at this point already. I would go with the highest chance of success (appears to be #3) and if you lose the eye, you aren't much worse off than you are now.

Tough situation and I hope it works out for you. Couldn't imagine dealing with that.

Andy B.

Reaction score
What about waiting a few years something new and better may be developed with less risk and better outcome if you can, best of luck!!

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
I had a foreign body enter my left eye when I was 17 at the end of my Junior year of high school. I had emergency surgery to remove the foreign body and then had 2 more surgeries over the summer due to a detached retina. I spent weeks on the couch (can't remember if it was face up or face down, but it had to due with an air bubble and making sure it stayed in place for retina healing) and all of the summer with a patch on. I am fortunate in that my eye healed pretty good, I just have a cataract that keeps me from having decent vision. It sounds like I can see things much better than you can. If I closed my good eye, I would be able to get around and can read things within 2' of my face, but out in the world its like I'm looking at everything underwater.

I often close my bad eye when driving and it is clear that even thought the vision is shit, I am getting lots of good data from it for whats in my periphery. Doctors have told me that surgery to repair the cataract isn't worth the risk, and I side with their opinions because I feel like I'm doing just fine in my current condition.

I would spend some time in normal daily life either with a patch on or with your eye closed and see if you truly could live without that eye because right now you do have the option of keeping it as-is. If you elect to stay as is, I suspect that over time, your brain will learn to only feed you the "good" data, the movement and shapes, and would hopefully leave out the bad or distracting data, the yellow green haze. If you elect to go with either surgery option you'll know what you will be missing if things go sideways. You also know the upside of how "normal" vision is.

My $0.02 - it sounds like your vision is pretty crappy and the upside potential is worth the risk of losing your eye permanently.

These bad eye is closed. They did a procedure that fused the lids together to help the healing. There is a un-fused gap on the inside so I can put meds in. That is how I know what my vision is. I spread it open like a vajayjay and look right with my good right eye closed. I drive just fine but avoid congested freeways when possible as things tend to “sneak up” on the left. Hell, I can even catch things thrown to me. Like you, I am managing just fine but the risk taker in me wants another chance at bat.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
What about waiting a few years something new and better may be developed with less risk and better outcome if you can, best of luck!!

Yep. Just had a big breakthrough on why second transplants reject. Now they are working on meds to prevent it. Testing on mice.

500bbc

Reaction score
What a horrible thing to go through, all options are frightening.

On a lighter note, I used to know a guy with a glass eye. Sitting at a bar, he's hitting on a chick, she's got her nose in the air so he popped his eye out, rapped it on his glass to get her attention and says "HEY! I'm talking to you!".:eek:

Didn't close the deal.o_O

evantwheeler

Reaction score
What’s is the 3-4 month decision driven by? If you wait it out, what is the risk? With today’s tech and procedures, are you not able to have a 2nd surgery after that window closes?

4Waters

Reaction score
I've never seen a triple edged sword before, only double edged swords.

Reactions: BTR

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Unless the current transplant eye is causing pain, is at risk of losing more sight (light/dark is still SOME sort of vision), or risks possible infection, etc I'd keep what you have. I hear way too many horror stories of people that have multiple surgeries in the same affected area that deal with years of negative effects simply because a doctor made them feel like there was a huge success chance... same deal with scarring, etc not allowing it to heal properly or making the surgery risky.

Granted it seems like the transplant eye isnt really helping you much, have you ever thought of just ditching it alltogether and doing a prosthetic so you dont have to wear a pirate eye patch possibly?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
What’s is the 3-4 month decision driven by? If you wait it out, what is the risk? With today’s tech and procedures, are you not able to have a 2nd surgery after that window closes?

That is when the lids get split open again. If I go for another procedure he’ll do it during surgery then close them again. Trust me, the eye lid deal sucked. Unlike the transplant, this was an office visit deal. First, the lidocaine hurt to all hell going in. Then you hear and smell the fusing of your flesh. 2 hours later, fuck it hurts!!

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Unless the current transplant eye is causing pain, is at risk of losing more sight (light/dark is still SOME sort of vision), or risks possible infection, etc I'd keep what you have. I hear way too many horror stories of people that have multiple surgeries in the same affected area that deal with years of negative effects simply because a doctor made them feel like there was a huge success chance... same deal with scarring, etc not allowing it to heal properly or making the surgery risky.

Granted it seems like the transplant eye isnt really helping you much, have you ever thought of just ditching it alltogether and doing a prosthetic so you dont have to wear a pirate eye patch possibly?

The eye doesn’t look too bad at all. Slight hazy, pearly look to it but not severe. So, eye patch is a no.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I forgot this happened with a pool chemical correct?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Yes, I also recall it happened while cleaning his salt water aquarium. He took a squirt from a coral into his eye. Believe it was a zoanthid which is a fairly common coral found in salt water tanks.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
If reasonable I would stall and wait until the new tech either pans or falls out. This also would give you a little time to see exactly what you have right now. Or I just vote for the pirate patch with the skull and crossbones on it. RD might even do RPD logo patches for you, cause that would be cool...:rolleyes:
My uncle had eye issues/physical damage when I was young. He was one of the first in the world where they removed the eye completely onto the table next to him, fully dissected it, rebuilt it, and then reinstalled it. This was in the early 80's. His vision is still about what you are talking about now, clarity, color issues and all. Not trying to downplay what you have gone through in the slightest, but you think its not fun now, trust me, walk in the park compared to then....

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Yes, I also recall it happened while cleaning his salt water aquarium. He took a squirt from a coral into his eye. Believe it was a zoanthid which is a fairly common coral found in salt water tanks.
Almost correct. I took a squirt to the brow and wiped it away with a hand covered in slime. Yes I was culling back zoanthids and knew the danger. It was a reactionary response.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
I’m definitely not going eye patch as it doesn’t look all that bad. I will probably wait and see how I do once the lid gets opened. In all honesty, it could have been worse and I’m not entering and beauty contests in the near future.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Jesus christ, fuck aquariums... sorry 4 all this

Last edited:

Spudsbud

Reaction score
1st,
Best of luck. Very sorry to hear.
From what Ive read. Id go for it.
Worth the risk I believe. I wouldnt just leave it. Maybe these new meds will really help.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Good luck with whichever option you choose.
Just curious ....how old are you? And does this play into any of your options?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Good luck with whichever option you choose.
Just curious ....how old are you? And does this play into any of your options?
55 married, 3 kids, 2 still at home. Not quite don’t give a shit age bracket but close.

rrrr

Reaction score
Whatever the outcome, you have my sincere wishes for peace and acceptance. I imagine some days are tough, do your best to stay on an even stride.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Serious question. It’s my vision so why not trust the opinion of you wise folks, right?

In 3-4 months I need to decide what to do.
My left eye vision is nothing more than detecting some movement and light/dark. I see a yellow-green haze and nearby objects that are red in color. The transplant I got is fine but took too long to heal from the poison still being present and wound up scarring and hence, the shit for vision. They had to do it immediately and not wait because The toxin melted a hole in my eye and it was leaking out. Think of the transplant they did as a band aid as well as a potential cure.

1. I can leave as is and go on about life fat, drunk and happy with one good eye.

2. I also have the option of another transplant attempt. Good: no toxin present should heal fine without scarring. Bad: much (3x) higher rejection rate due to the scarring and resulting blood vessel growth from the first one (a normal eye has no blood vessels on the cornea, they are below it). If it rejects, I have to go with option 3.

3. Last is artificial cornea aka KPro. Good: very low rejection risk. Bad: at risk of infection and subsequent eye removal (in worst case) for the rest of my life.

Whatcha all think? I am leaning toward leave as is but part of me wants one more stab at it. Not too keen on the artificial deal. Sounds too risky and invasive as if someone cutting and sewing your eyeball while you are strapped naked to a metal table isn’t invasive enough.

My wife was back office mgr. at an Opthalmology office for 20 years. In her opinion only, she advised to leave it alone, versus taking the chance of #2 and #3. The percentages of #2 and #3 are not very good, plus the pain that follows. Her opinion only!

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Whatever the outcome, you have my sincere wishes for peace and acceptance. I imagine some days are tough, do your best to stay on an even stride.
Oddly enough, I am cool with it which totally goes against my persona. Must be getting old, LOL. Just want the damn eye lid opened up. Makes it always feel “wet” if I had to describe it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I’m definitely not going eye patch as it doesn’t look all that bad. I will probably wait and see how I do once the lid gets opened. In all honesty, it could have been worse and I’m not entering and beauty contests in the near future.
As for physical appearances, scars and injuries make for good stories around the campfire. Every scar I have, I could tell you who I was with and how it happened. Anytime you have a scar, no matter how severe, it means you healed. Maybe not fully, but able to keep breathing. The rest comes along in time.

I am not you, but here's how I'd play it: Have them open up your eye, and leave it, at least for a while. As it stands right now, you're only able to see through a small fraction of your eye. This may be giving you less than accurate results. With the parts swapping and damage done, I wouldn't be surprised if things get better with some use. The ability to focus your bad eye has been mostly taken away. Those muscles and nerves have not been used. In the course of a few weeks, you may have much better vision than what you may have hours or days after getting it back open.

If all else failed, then I would go with a selection of glass eyes...like a bag of marbles. Chrome one, wood grained, smiley face, reticle...maybe make one with a red LED, Terminator style.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Any need for a 2nd opinion?? Where are you having the work done?? UCLA has one of the best Eye Centers in the world... I'd sure like the very best, very very best... I've had two cataract surgeries.. Both successful... Also one macular surgery..So so...
Ray

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Any need for a 2nd opinion?? Where are you having the work done?? UCLA has one of the best Eye Centers in the world... I'd sure like the very best, very very best... I've had two cataract surgeries.. Both successful... Also one macular surgery..So so...
Ray
I’m going to Loma Linda, Dr Hwang. He’s supposed to be one of the best.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
I think what is frustrating is that my eye is just fine. No lens, pupil or retina damage. It’s just the very outer layer, the cornea that is jacked. I will see just fine if I can get it to heal clearly but there are significant risks in subsequent attempts which lead me to my quandary.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Loma Linda... Sanger Boy here on the board, Greg, works there as a Dental Instructor, (or professor or what??) He lives, or lived in Ventura County.. haven't spoke to him since one of Billy's deals a couple of years ago.. Anyway, look him up if you get bored hanging at LL, really nice guy and might have some hints for you about the place...
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think what is frustrating is that my eye is just fine. No lens, pupil or retina damage. It’s just the very outer layer, the cornea that is jacked. I will see just fine if I can get it to heal clearly but there are significant risks in subsequent attempts which lead me to my quandary.
So, if it heals clear, all's good, but it might not heal clear, so start over? Can you wait till it's as healed as possible to pull the trigger? Eat lots of carrots maybe;)

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Sorry to read this BTR.
All I can add is my left eye is pretty jacked vision wise. No corrective lens will make it better. I have to be Very careful of my right eye. Depth perception with one eye is a little tough but I have learned to compensate
What a tough decision.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

King P.V.

Reaction score
I am one week post-op from cataract surgury. I know its not as good results as many friends if mine have had. Time may be on my side. We'll see. 5 months from detached retina. I watched the you tube procedure after my surgury. OMG!!! Glad I had no clue before...
Just finished watching "Big Fish". Somewhere in there, I was reminded that certin things I can control and some not so much. If I had of lost my left eye.... well, Id continue on. Blessed to have another eye, I guess. And loved ones around me to look after me and help as needed. Till, the day I return... to the river.
Hang in there.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
I’m going to Loma Linda, Dr Hwang. He’s supposed to be one of the best.
Been in the Ophthalmic Space for 20+ years but not in the cornea arena. As far as Universities Loma Linda is not considered as skilled or advanced as UCI, UCLA or UCSD. There have been significant advancements in cornea transplant procedures due to the improvement of cornea graft material both embryonic donor and biologic corneal bandages (Prokera). Medications have also improved in reducing rejection rates. I would recommend a second or third opinion and working with 2 doctors that have specific specialty expertise in front and back of the eye. Good Luck