WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My gold trim bath mirror fix....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
house was built in 1992... gold and honey oak every where.... my wife wants the gold in the bathrooms gone... the mirrors are a PITA.... usually when I take the mirrors down it messes up the drywall so bad that I just cut the drywall and remove the mirrors that way,.. way easier and faster to just replace the piece of drywall then try to fix the mirro mastic... so thats why she's been asking for it to be done for 5 years or so...

so what I did was trim them out over the gold.... I ran the molding through the table saw and back cut so it could go over the gold trim...

before......

1672925185049.jpeg

after..

1672925233897.jpeg

1672925278589.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
next, I have to change out the fixtures, and towel bars... and paint the cabinets white...

we were gonna put two mirrors in the master , but the new trend seems to be going back to big mirrors in the model homes in vegas...

Slick

Reaction score
house was built in 1992... gold and honey oak every where.... my wife wants the gold in the bathrooms gone... the mirrors are a PITA.... usually when I take the mirrors down it messes up the drywall so bad that I just cut the drywall and remove the mirrors that way,.. way easier and faster to just replace the piece of drywall then try to fix the mirro mastic... so thats why she's been asking for it to be done for 5 years or so...

so what I did was trim them out over the gold.... I ran the molding through the table saw and back cut so it could go over the gold trim...

before......

View attachment 1186227
after..

View attachment 1186228

View attachment 1186229
Nice. Looks like your wife was so excited she removed her bra!😁

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Oh, and a little trick to get the miters tight.... sand some of the inside edge off then you can block sand a little amount to make them tight...

also do the top last,.... what i did was pre cut all the pieces and pre fit with blue tape.... then when I glued them in, I did the bottom and two sides, so when i did the top piece I could still adjust the miters.... theres a little bit of window time before the glue sets up...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
and for those that want to still take the mirrors off.... put contact shelf liner on the mirror first... it not if it's gonna break,.. it's when... some times you get lucky and there's just a few dabs of mirror mastic.... but.. when it pulls the face paper off the drywall you have to tape over the spots or when you float mud over the spot it will bubble.. we had a job rehabing section 8 apartment and had to do about 100 broke bathroom mirrors

Jay Dub

Reaction score

before......

View attachment 1186227
after..

View attachment 1186228

View attachment 1186229
nice. I need to do the same in our master bath. thks for sharing

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
next, I have to change out the fixtures, and towel bars... and paint the cabinets white...

we were gonna put two mirrors in the master , but the new trend seems to be going back to big mirrors in the model homes in vegas...
I did the same in one of my bathrooms with wider door casing material, Painted like yours. I have also seen people use rustic looking wood.

When I did my bathroom, i couldn't find a light fixture I liked. I liked the one i had, but it was one of those mirrored base with the individual light bulbs. I thought I would try painting the fixture (mirror and all) with a brushed nickel spray paint. It turned out great. It's been 2 years and it has held up great. I also painted the cabinet white, added new hardware, and a granite counter top. It really modernized the bathroom.

Bakotrash

Reaction score
Been thinking of trying this exact thing for a while.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I did the same in one of my bathrooms with wider door casing material, Painted like yours. I have also seen people use rustic looking wood.

When I did my bathroom, i couldn't find a light fixture I liked. I liked the one i had, but it was one of those mirrored base with the individual light bulbs. I thought I would try painting the fixture (mirror and all) with a brushed nickel spray paint. It turned out great. It's been 2 years and it has held up great. I also painted the cabinet white, added new hardware, and a granite counter top. It really modernized the bathroom.
LOL, so you're the one that told my wife to do all this shit... I'm gonna re polish the marble and change the fixtures..... the master has a garden jacuzzi tub,... my wife wants it gone... fighting that one,... but i did it at my sons house so loosing the battle

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So, ive herd that there is a way to take the gold off the shower doors,... but couldn't remember how,... so I did a search... " how to remove the gold in shower doors"

and that my friends is why I willl never, never, never ever rent out my havasu home

hman442

Reaction score
We ditched the gold shower door for a curtain years ago. We too had the "big mirror", that tore up the sheetrock on the way out (now the washroom in my shop has a six foot mirror). This was the fix that the Misses had me do. The mirrors are from some fancy catalog, they were not round, or symmetrical, or matching...kinda hand made Afghanistan type things, had to rotate around & move left to right to get them to fit.
20230105_070932.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Nice work Steve! Listening/watching some of the renovation shows it seems that gold/brass is making a comeback🤮.
Time to upgrade that bathroom phone to wireless😉😁

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If the carboard surface of the sheetrock pulls off you can spray paint the spot with a few coats clear lacquer or an oil based primer. Doing that helps keeps the paper from swelling up when you texture or paint it.

boatnam2

Reaction score
The new lighted, heated mirrors are bad ass, but couldn't pull myself to drop $1800 for one, maybe if i had a place in Havasu.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Steve's on his game already. Making the wife happy in the first week of 2023. :) Good job on the mirror, great idea.

samsah33

Reaction score
Great idea, and the good news is that in a few years when gold is back in style, you'll just need to remove the molding and you'll be heralded as "ahead of the curve" and "brave...!"

NicPaus

Reaction score
Gold is back in style! I hate it. But whatever the customers wife wants!

It's actually more of a rose gold and brushed gold. My cabinet supplier carries the handles and knobs now. But doesn't carry the matte black that is also popular. I prefer the black in bathrooms but the water spots suck.

RichL

Reaction score
and for those that want to still take the mirrors off.... put contact shelf liner on the mirror first... it not if it's gonna break,.. it's when... some times you get lucky and there's just a few dabs of mirror mastic.... but.. when it pulls the face paper off the drywall you have to tape over the spots or when you float mud over the spot it will bubble.. we had a job rehabing section 8 apartment and had to do about 100 broke bathroom mirrors
This will take care of the torn paper problem. Dries quickly as well.
20230105_153911.jpg

Bails

Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL I have the same issue, I've taken care of the mirror however I still have the floor to ceiling closet door mirrors with gold frames, not to mention the tracks on the floor and ceiling are gold. I think the answer is to just buy new, however those things are damn expensive. I'm open to any ideas.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL I have the same issue, I've taken care of the mirror however I still have the floor to ceiling closet door mirrors with gold frames, not to mention the tracks on the floor and ceiling are gold. I think the answer is to just buy new, however those things are damn expensive. I'm open to any ideas.

Close your eyes.

Or pull the doors and the tracks off, rough the gold up with some 600 grit sandpaper and spray paint them.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Close your eyes.

Or pull the doors and the tracks off, rough the gold up with some 600 grit sandpaper and spray paint them.
That works for flips. But not a long term solution. The nice replacements have more than doubled. 2k for a 8' wide ceiling height made to order.

Bails

Reaction score
Close your eyes.

I bought the spray paint a couple years ago and could never bring myself to do it.

Bails

Reaction score
That works for flips. But not a long term solution. The nice replacements have more than doubled. 2k for a 8' wide ceiling height made to order.
it's a big closet I have three eight foot doors.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I bought the spray paint a couple years ago and could never bring myself to do it.
Honestly I refinished the fireplace in my old house with spray paint. It came out really nice and held up for years.

The gold trim on the closet doors was almost like a brushed gold anodized look. I never messed with it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

At that rate a couple hours of time and a rattle can every half decade is cool with me :)

Bails

Reaction score
My wife has a girlfriend that loves the gold and keeps telling me it will eventually come back into style.:p

I'm sure she is right, I guess if I wait long enough, I'll be cool again.😎

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My wife has a girlfriend that loves the gold and keeps telling me it will eventually come back into style.:p

I'm sure she is right, I guess if I wait long enough, I'll be cool again.😎

Sounds like this problem is well on its way to solving itself :)

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
LOL, so you're the one that told my wife to do all this shit... I'm gonna re polish the marble and change the fixtures..... the master has a garden jacuzzi tub,... my wife wants it gone... fighting that one,... but i did it at my sons house so loosing the battle
LOL. I took out my jacuzzi tub at the same time, and used the space for a larger shower. It was a B!tch to remove.