WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Neighbor's Doing a 100 Mile Run/jog Tomorrow...

Tank

Reaction score
So, I guess there's runs around the country that you go out and do 100 or even 200 miles! (crazy). Anyway, my 26 y/o neighbor is all in. Did one a few months back and got about 60+ miles in and his feet I guess became so blistered and bleeding he had to stop. So he signed up for a Palm Springs planned run that was going to take place tomorrow but they cancelled it. So he's decided to do it on our beach starting tomorrow at 8am. I was asking a bit about it and he said that if he could finish in 24 hours that's a good time!! But if it comes in done before 10am sunday morning he'd be happy too. FUCKIN' CRAZY! He's set up a monitor station in front of his house and has a huge group of friends and fellow runners that will be cheering him on and riding and running with him during parts of the run. He's doing 40 2.5 mile loops.

I just got back into running after a 4 year hiatus and I gotta say, I can't wrap my head around doing 100 miles, let alone even a marathon.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post.

Anyone ever done this?

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Google David Goggins. Or watch his Joe Rogan podcast. I think he did 8, 100 mile runs 8 weekends in a row.

Good luck to your friend. I’m gassed after about 4, on the treadmill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I can see you & momma posting up on the sand under umbrellas comfy with cocktails watching him do his loops all day .... some guys just gotta have challenges as they begin to age ... helps em work out their stuff. If you like the guy you might bring him out 2 tubs full of cold water or something at his finish.... feet gonna be a mess.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Talked to a few people that do ultralong range runs. One guy said his toenails fell off during a run... :oops:

Pooping is also an issue, I guess all that movement really gets things moving.

Tank

Reaction score
I can see you & momma posting up on the sand under umbrellas comfy with cocktails watching him do his loops all day .... some guys just gotta have challenges as they begin to age ... helps em work out their stuff. If you like the guy you might bring him out 2 tubs full of cold water or something at his finish.... feet gonna be a mess.
He's actually running up on the street along the beach but we will most likely be at the water this weekend. Supposed to be 80-85 at the water.

He doesn't really have much to work out. Really good dude. I've known him since he was born. Went to school with my daughter nearly his whole life. He's just one of those guys that wants to do as much as possible with his life and look back and be like, "yeah, I did that once".

Talked to a few people that do ultralong range runs. One guy said his toenails fell off during a run... :oops:

Pooping is also an issue, I guess all that movement really gets things moving.
Yes. Lots of bad stuff happens. He said you get high up in the miles you start hallucinating and get all punchy and shit. I mean, imagine just not sleeping for 24 hours how punchy and F'd up you get. Now add running to that.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
He's actually running up on the street along the beach but we will most likely be at the water this weekend. Supposed to be 80-85 at the water.

He doesn't really have much to work out. Really good dude. I've known him since he was born. Went to school with my daughter nearly his whole life. He's just one of those guys that wants to do as much as possible with his life and look back and be like, "yeah, I did that once".

Yes. Lots of bad stuff happens. He said you get high up in the miles you start hallucinating and get all punchy and shit. I mean, imagine just not sleeping for 24 hours how punchy and F'd up you get. Now add running to that.
Yup... gonna be brutal down here as well....low humidity unlike that last tough heat wave so I may stay put.... I was set to run to Avalon for weekend but fog bank came in at dawn.... I don't have ac and have tried several of the stand alone units but they're not powerful enough to have an effect. I've been known to grab a room at our local ex Four Seasons now called Island Hotel for a night or two if it gets too bad. Covids got everywhere so full of tourist around my area its maybe better just to hunker down and ride it out. Bummed I couldn't do Catalina... but I just checked their webcam and all the cans are full it looks like. I usually wait till late Sept/ Oct for Island runs anyhow... last nights full moon had me all jacked up and crazy.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I work with a girl who use to do 100 mile races. She said there wasn't much difference between a 50 and a 100 mile run to her besides the time needed to do it. She eventually gave it up and started running "normal" marathons because she got too bored during the ultra marathons.

Yes, she is as crazy as you think someone like that would be.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My brother trains and does marathons...my wife and I think it's a way for him to stay away from his wife.

There isn't a reason I can come up with to run an ultra. I'm just not that motivated I guess.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
That dude is a beast. I enjoy running but I’ve never even considered anything over a marathon.

I do run this crazy relay race every year from Mount Hood to Pacific City in Oregon. It’s called Hood-to-Coast and it’s 200 miles of really really really nice scenery ;)

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Just an amateur compared to Forrest Gump.😁

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I've heard of some of 'em being so high on Adrenalin or what ever goes on inside the body that after they cross the finish line they turn around and head back they way they came.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I don't even want to WATCH someone run.

When this guy started running he was clean shaven...

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 4.58.38 PM.png

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
The only reason I'm running any distance, is if I get dropped off in Ethiopia with a sandwich tied to my back. Fuck that noise!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love running, but my back doesn't. Did 18.7 miles on the Peloton today. Better workout than running, in my opinion, at least for me. That said, I'm not sure my legs could do 100 miles. It would require a ton of training.

100 miles of running is insane.

@RogerThat99's wife runs ultra marathons. Tough chick!!!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
That dude is a beast. I enjoy running but I’ve never even considered anything over a marathon.

I do run this crazy relay race every year from Mount Hood to Pacific City in Oregon. It’s called Hood-to-Coast and it’s 200 miles of really really really nice scenery ;)
A good buddy puts on and runs one of those big races in Tahoe. Has people from all over the world run in it. He's been a runner for the 45 years I've known him. He spends countless hours putting that race together. Would you know of it or ran in it before? I'm pretty sure the last time my wife talked to them they had to cancel it this year.

Turnup

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll be waste deep in the pool with a fat Romeo & Juliet stogge thinking about all these runners while enjoying a Mai Tai and the Q full of carne..

4Waters

Reaction score
I love running, but my back doesn't. Did 18.7 miles on the Peloton today. Better workout than running, in my opinion, at least for me. That said, I'm not sure my legs could do 100 miles. It would require a ton of training.

100 miles of running is insane.

@RogerThat99's wife runs ultra marathons. Tough chick!!!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk
Yup, absolutely F's mt back up. I love the elliptical no impact.

bigboy308

Reaction score
A good buddy puts on and runs one of those big races in Tahoe. Has people from all over the world run in it. He's been a runner for the 45 years I've known him. He spends countless hours putting that race together. Would you know of it or ran in it before? I'm pretty sure the last time my wife talked to them they had to cancel it this year.
We lived in Auburn,CA for nine years--Auburn's unofficial motto was "Ultramarathon Capitol of the World". The Tahoe to Auburn marathon was every year, went down to the local High School track to watch the finish one year. Some of the runners looked like they were ready to do another 100 miles--some looked like they were ready for a Hospital trip!
The Tahoe-Auburn Marathon as started by a local runner, it originally was a horse race/run. He decided that he could run the entire course faster than changing horses and riding part way.
If I recall the local was named Gordon Ainsley, or something similar. He was a County Commisioner for a while.

"Nuff----
Tom

sirbob

Reaction score
I have an old friend who lives in Utah and does these ultra marathons.

He does them at 8,000 + ft !!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Just found George's race, it's called TRTER, Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Runs.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Buddy of mine did the 24hr 100 mile run in Colorado he finished in 26hr. He was pretty beat up and bummed he didn’t make the cut off. He and his family also do the long offshore swimming races where you need a spotter in a kayak they say the hardest part is finding a friend that can paddle 6+ miles in the ocean to spot for them. They’ve had to stop a race because the guy is the kayak gives up!

Tank

Reaction score
He’s on hour 27 now. Laid down in the chair and slept from 11pm to 1 am. Then power napped 45 minutes early before the sun came up. Started running again at sun up.

He’s 70 plus miles on now.

9A6E81E4-E536-4BB2-8951-63D02720692C.jpeg
2361A13A-3F14-4860-BE98-4AF1E17AC486.jpeg

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I'm tired just reading these posts

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I work with a girl who use to do 100 mile races. She said there wasn't much difference between a 50 and a 100 mile run to her besides the time needed to do it. She eventually gave it up and started running "normal" marathons because she got too bored during the ultra marathons.

Yes, she is as crazy as you think someone like that would be.
I have 3 apprentices that run marathons. They say the exact same thing. They get bored and it kills a lot of time. Even training they only do 6-10 for the same reason.

Tank

Reaction score
So did he finish all 100 miles?

Got to mile 75 yesterday and couldn’t move his legs any longer. Feet swelled up and he was literally exhausted (like suffering from exhaustion). Called it. He was hurtin for sure.

4Waters

Reaction score
Got to mile 75 yesterday and couldn’t move his legs any longer. Feet swelled up and he was literally exhausted (like suffering from exhaustion). Called it. He was hurtin for sure.
That's pretty damn good, it's 74 miles longer than I would have lasted.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We lived in Auburn,CA for nine years--Auburn's unofficial motto was "Ultramarathon Capitol of the World". The Tahoe to Auburn marathon was every year, went down to the local High School track to watch the finish one year. Some of the runners looked like they were ready to do another 100 miles--some looked like they were ready for a Hospital trip!
The Tahoe-Auburn Marathon as started by a local runner, it originally was a horse race/run. He decided that he could run the entire course faster than changing horses and riding part way.
If I recall the local was named Gordon Ainsley, or something similar. He was a County Commisioner for a while.

"Nuff----
Tom
I've met Gordy (Gordon) a few times. He is a character. The horse race is called the Tevis Cup, and still goes on today. Gordy had finished every Tevis Cup, and his horse went lame about 85 miles in, so he finished on foot. The next year he didn't have a horse, since did the entire thing in foot. The following year, some other people wanted to run it with him. It eventually grew enough that they started a separate race... and the Western States 100 was born.

My wife was supposed to run it in 2020, but the race was cancelled. She will be running it in 2021. She has been trying to get in for 11 years. She qualifies every year, but the lottery to get in is insane and she had never gotten drawn.

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigboy308

Reaction score
I've met Gordy (Gordon) a few times. He is a character. The horse race is called the Tevis Cup, and still goes on today. Gordy had finished every Tevis Cup, and his horse went lame about 85 miles in, so he finished on foot. The next year he didn't have a horse, since did the entire thing in foot. The following year, some other people wanted to run it with him. It eventually grew enough that they started a separate race... and the Western States 100 was born.

My wife was supposed to run it in 2020, but the race was cancelled. She will be running it in 2021. She has been trying to get in for 11 years. She qualifies every year, but the lottery to get in is insane and she had never gotten drawn.

Sent From Tapatalk
THANX for the follow-up and history lesson! I remember the stories about the start to the Tevis beginning with the horse race. Loved our time in the Foothills, just got too expensive for us!!

THANX again!!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
THANX for the follow-up and history lesson! I remember the stories about the start to the Tevis beginning with the horse race. Loved our time in the Foothills, just got too expensive for us!!

THANX again!!
Hopefully, I will be out of here in a few years. I grew up in the Auburn Area and will miss that area.

Sent From Tapatalk