WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mystery Gas issue....tank fills up??

Water Romper

Reaction score
Honest, I'm not going crazy..(at least i don't think I am) I have duel 20 gal. tanks in the Hallett Sport Skier. 1992 200 Blk Max Merc...there is a 3 way brass valve (manual) tank selector, Left, Right and down is to the primer bulb...I ran the left tank empty (passenger side) switched to the right tank....ran for awhile, went home...next weekend went to gas up and the right tank is full...I mean to the top of the fill cap full...I ran this tank for at least 1/2 half hour the previous weekend...it should have at least went down in volume a little bit...this old Merc does NOT get that great of gas mileage.
Did I turn the valve wrong? is it possible remaining fuel in the left tank somehow "siphoned" into the other tank? Is there a trick to this 3 way valve? ...my previous boat (Carrera) had a bow tank, 1 line no issues. Duel tanks are new to me. Thanks

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Oil injection is set too high and filler your tank with coolant.

Familyties

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 210 Hallett with the 80 gallon belly tank, I take it down to fuel it and it would be full. The 2 weekends before I went from the Springs to the bridge a couple of times so I knew I had used some fuel. Come to find out my son would fill the boat up for me when he would come out to our place.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Honest, I'm not going crazy..(at least i don't think I am) I have duel 20 gal. tanks in the Hallett Sport Skier. 1992 200 Blk Max Merc...there is a 3 way brass valve (manual) tank selector, Left, Right and down is to the primer bulb...I ran the left tank empty (passenger side) switched to the right tank....ran for awhile, went home...next weekend went to gas up and the right tank is full...I mean to the top of the fill cap full...I ran this tank for at least 1/2 half hour the previous weekend...it should have at least went down in volume a little bit...this old Merc does NOT get that great of gas mileage.
Did I turn the valve wrong? is it possible remaining fuel in the left tank somehow "siphoned" into the other tank? Is there a trick to this 3 way valve? ...my previous boat (Carrera) had a bow tank, 1 line no issues. Duel tanks are new to me. Thanks
Did you switch tanks cause the engine starved and died? Or cause you saw the gas gauge was low so you switched before it died? Im asking cause it you switched it before it actually died then you still have 3 float bowls full of fuel and the lines full of fuel from the 1st tank. If you didnt run it hard for that 30 mins Id bet youd hardly get into that second tank much at all.

stingray11

Reaction score
Is this carbureted or EFI

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Water Romper

Reaction score
Did you switch tanks cause the engine starved and died? Or cause you saw the gas gauge was low so you switched before it died? Im asking cause it you switched it before it actually died then you still have 3 float bowls full of fuel and the lines full of fuel from the 1st tank. If you didnt run it hard for that 30 mins Id bet youd hardly get into that second tank much at all.
Hmm, good point....maybe i didn't run it as long as I thought. I also had the boat parked in the driveway that has a slight "slant" toward the street so I think maybe gravity played a role. Taking it out today, I'm going to run the "mystery" tank all day so well see...of course, if Family Ties son comes to Idaho and fills it up, that would be pretty cool...hahaha