WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mystery Part, hate it when this happens.

Taboma

Reaction score
Last week took my 18' Raptor in for a normal 5K miles / 12 mo. service (Only put 5-7K a year on it) Because I run it offroad up to our ranch, I decided to have them change the cabin filter while it was in. I'd emptied the glove box before going in, knowing the cabin filter is up and behind it and requires a couple of trim pieces be removed. I'd recent vacuumed the carpet since we've had a few lunches in it of late, so I know the floors were clean.
When I got it back, this part I've shot pics of below, was laying right under the glove box. I sent the pics to my good-guy service writer and took it over this AM. The tech that serviced it and their master tech agreed they didn't have a clue where it came from and claim to have never seen that part before.
So as much as I'm often amazed of the brain trust known as RDP, maybe somebody knows just WTF this is and where it's from. As you can see, it's about an inch long and wide, with a hole in it, like a nipple. 🥴

Mystery Part.jpg

WYRD

Reaction score
Possibly feeding a wire or antenna through the firewall or door inner skin behind the glove box?

Taboma

Reaction score
Great suggestions, been reviewing any of the parts diagrams for the glove box and surrounding dash area and I can find similar bumpers and gromments, dampers, grommets, but not like that one. Checked everything I could find with a flash light and can't find anything missing.
Next step, I just watched a couple of youtube videos on DIY replacing that cabin air filter, can't see any similar parts.

🤔

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
looks to be this part # FL3Z15044H76D
tried to blow it up but just gets blury

there is a retainer to hold it in ----looks like on diagram
#
FL3Z15044H76B

Last edited:

J5Daytona

Reaction score
It goes on one of the glove box post that snaps out when they drop the glove box
. Check you tube it will show you how to pop the glove box out and you will see very easily where it goes .

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Go into a 🤢Ford 🤮 dealership and ask parts guy.

Have him bring up the parts for that area .. a good parts guy will find it.

Maestro

Reaction score
Glove box bumper it's usually on an a ear or tab of the box or dash where the box rest open and or when close so it doesn't rattle

rrrr

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
Hey @Taboma, print this out and show it to the service manager. Tell him it's too bad the dealership doesn't have access to Ford assembly diagrams, and you thought it might be of use when they're changing cabin filters in F150s. Shame his ass.

I can't print it out, I can't even enlarge it enough to see what he's got circled without it being completely fuzzy. I even tried it in photoshop with no luck --- how are you guys seeing these images ??????

Taboma

Reaction score
Glove box bumper it's usually on an a ear or tab of the box or dash where the box rest open and or when close so it doesn't rattle

It's not the bumper, that part is accounted for in the correct location and is not 1" x 1" .

rush1

Reaction score
Looks like the cover they put on the studs for the seat bracket that mount to the floor.

dribble

Reaction score
I’d be more concerned that this dealership put some nimnode wannabe apprentice tech on a simple job and he fucked it it up.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Mec hanics 101 protocol , Its designed to be tossed over your left shoulder ,when the job is complete and you cant account for its placement ...
Flat rater protocol.
If customer returns with a rattle complaint warranty can cover it.🙄
Part of the reason I didn't pay my techs on a flat rate scale, I was focused on quality over quantity. Paid them bonuses based on customer satisfaction ratings.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Flat rater protocol.
If customer returns with a rattle complaint warranty can cover it.🙄
Part of the reason I didn't pay my techs on a flat rate scale, I was focused on quality over quantity. Paid them bonuses based on customer satisfaction ratings.
Piece work =-incentive $ , I personally found salaried Techs to not be as good "earners" as flat raters . In a half dozen of my service management over 25 years regimes I always had a large crew of flat raters , the ones that do shitty or dirty work show up quickly and go to work for "down the road motors" . Even as a SM I enjoyed small salary large benifit for production pay plans . So long as they can do quality clean work in less than allowed time more power to them

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Piece work =-incentive $ , I personally found salaried Techs to not be as good "earners" as flat raters . In a half dozen of my service management over 25 years regimes I always had a large crew of flat raters , the ones that do shitty or dirty work show up quickly and go to work for "down the road motors" . Even as a SM I enjoyed small salary large benifit for production pay plans . So long as they can do quality clean work in less than allowed time more power to them
I had a few master bmw techs with 30+ yrs tenure so I suppose we did something right😊

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I had a few master bmw techs with 30+ yrs tenure so I suppose we did something right😊
I call on all "stripes" in my work , lots of mechanics smaller numbers of dedicated trained Technicians , and at BMW OF NA reimbursement rates in todays world they would have to be salaried to make a good living :) ................ with flate rate in the 80's my BMW Techs could do a "service one" or two and go home for the day ... my how times have Changed right

Taboma

Reaction score

Bravo Sir, by cracky I believe that's the one !!! I watched a couple of other DIY filter change videos but never saw that part from this angle. Also check several part diagrams for the glove box etc and although a few looked similar, the diagrams didn't actually show their physical arrangement.

Will certainly be emailing this update to make a point, this is the 2nd time this dealership has proven to be complete morons. The first time it was the Turbo Waste Gate rattling a bit and I'd shot a video of it, so you could both hear and see it --- fuck head service tech write it up that he can't duplicate, which I could forgive, because it only did it cold start and I was in my garage, so the sound echoed more. What really pissed me was, the tech wrote it up that it was because the truck was a quart low on oil --- which was complete bullshit, because I'd checked the oil the day before and it wasn't low at all. Their CSI got one stars across the board that visit !!!

I do actually like this ole boy service writer, so I'll play nice this time and see how that plays out before I go full on ballistic old guy. 😂

Thank you Sir and the other contributors. 🤙🤙🤙

Taboma

Reaction score
Well, the service writer whom I do kinda like will find a really fun email on his computer in the AM. I wasn't kind to his tech and so called master tech, suggested they watch the video and provided a link as well as the marked up picture, along with the picture of the mystery part as a reminder. This should be fun 😁

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
Whoever found the PN deserves a gold star.

The youtube video SoCalDave posted showed the exact part and where it resides. The part # in your post that apparently you quoted, are for an 18'-19' Expedition / Navigator, similar but not exactly the same as the ones in my 18' Raptor.

I emailed a snapshot of that youtube video with the parked circled like in SoCalDave's post, along with the pictures I took of the part to the service writer, let the games begin --- or continue in this case.
The power of RDP !!!