WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Naked turtle demo'd

riverroyal

Reaction score
Maybe this was already posted.
It's flat! The bar, cabana, tables. All gone.

MR HARLEY

Reaction score
From April @ Supercatfest
20230429_174205.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
Announced after spring break season it is being remodeled.
I think they said 18 months until it reopens

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I was told a month ago the sea wall needs to be approved by the core of engineers which will take many months. If they start now, it will be rebuilt by next boating season. It was demolished prior to Memorial Day-didn’t make any sense to me

Reactions: DWC

hallett21

Reaction score
Right? So are they going to open the pool bar now to boats that park or dock?
Supposedly that and the restaurant bar.

It’s just such a poorly run operation all around that nothing surprises me anymore.

And I say that because they could really dominate the hospitality market in havasu. They just never execute.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Havasu time it will be reopened in two years. Speed time it will take three years.😲

They should have kept going and demoed the rooms.

At least they put down fresh dirt at the launch ramp and parking lot!😎

dave29

Reaction score
I remember when they were building the Turtle many years ago. We were staying at the Nautical looking across the inlet and thinking they should hurry up so we can drink outside by the water.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have some of those cups..

It was called that before they sold it and then Decided it wasn't family friendly name and renamed it Pirates cove.
the one up by topock.

Pretty sure the one at the Nautical was called that? Originally the same partners owned both bars I thought? Maybe I’m wrong.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Pretty sure the one at the Nautical was called that? Originally the same partners owned both bars I thought? Maybe I’m wrong.
You are correct! My fav was the Tiki terrace way back. So the new build of the turtle bar is going to include a built up peninsula for more boat parking and water front seating and they are going to haul in I don't know how many tons of old concrete and AB to add land.
While timing seems off missing the busy season I was told there was some creative accounting (a combination of tax and insurance) going on to help cover the cost of the renovation that triggered the sudden demo along with the above mentioned permitting. The pool is now open to the public/kids at all times during the project.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I thought the same. But I'm certainly no Havasu expert. Rookie more like it.

Wasn't there a husband and wife that split, or something along those lines? I could be mistaken, but I thought that's how they got split up. Again rookie to the river. I just felt I recall something like that when they built the pirates in Parker.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Many great memmories at the Naked Turte back in the day!! In my youger years we would spend many late nights on the lake and then would venture over to the bar, tie up at a slip and pass out under my bow- rinse, repeat, and do it all over again the next day.

Always a fun time with okay food back in the day.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No they said the remodel is going to take about a year. So anytime they start it’s going to run into the slow/busy season.

But if you start in busy season and it takes a year it will barely be ready next busy season. With all projects nothing goes to plan. So they will miss 2 busy seasons.

But hey I only over see 25m of design/construction a year so...

mbrown2

Reaction score
Bring back the Tiki Terrace... elevated so you can better see Thompson bay w/ indoor and outdoor seating...live bands/DJ night...... The pool could service the hoity/toity crowd, the turtle for day boaters and the tiki terrace for people that want a bit more of Fox's and Roadrunner experience...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We headed there with friends prior to Memorial weekend. Found it gone. We then entered the unlocked gate at the Nautical pool. Had drinks and lunch. It was good. But, not the same.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They need to demo the 1950's rooms. and put in a concrete launch ramp.

But no, Demo the outdoor bar......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I thought the same. But I'm certainly no Havasu expert. Rookie more like it.

Wasn't there a husband and wife that split, or something along those lines? I could be mistaken, but I thought that's how they got split up. Again rookie to the river. I just felt I recall something like that when they built the pirates in Parker.

The owner of the "Naked Turtle" owned the bar / restaurant, separate from Nautical Inn. He sold it to Nautical, but kept the rights to the "Naked" name and they had to change the name to "The Turtle"- and the logo, slogans, etc had to be modified.

He took his money up river and built "The Naked Pirate" bar (beginnings of his Park Moabi Takeover......separate story with alot of BS that has happened along the way there....)

sirbob

Reaction score
They need to demo the 1950's rooms. and put in a concrete launch ramp.

But no, Demo the outdoor bar......

The ramp is concrete - its just that you have to drive through the dirt to get to it! LOL

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Bring back the Tiki Terrace... elevated so you can better see Thompson bay w/ indoor and outdoor seating...live bands/DJ night...... The pool could service the hoity/toity crowd, the turtle for day boaters and the tiki terrace for people that want a bit more of Fox's and Roadrunner experience...
I remember the Tiki Terrace.. If I recall correctly, it burned down, right?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I remember the Tiki Terrace.. If I recall correctly, it burned down, right?
Yes. Spent a lot of time on the beach and the Tiki Terrace Bar back in the early 80’s. My buddies drank the menu that was on the outside wall. 😂

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The owner of the "Naked Turtle" owned the bar / restaurant, separate from Nautical Inn. He sold it to Nautical, but kept the rights to the "Naked" name and they had to change the name to "The Turtle"- and the logo, slogans, etc had to be modified.

He took his money up river and built "The Naked Pirate" bar (beginnings of his Park Moabi Takeover......separate story with alot of BS that has happened along the way there....)

Thanks for the clarification. It’s been a long time.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Yup, long live the Naked Turtle memories... I think I have a few hundred of those 'naked turtle" plastic cups. 🤣

mbrown2

Reaction score
We still have some too, the plastic back then must have been some good shit
View attachment 1237252
Some timeless cups right there.... So who has a Tiki Terrace Bucket of Mai Tai's bucket? ...me and my buds would be wearing those buckets by 10pm most nights...remember when we made up our words to a DJ playing Bohemian Rhapsody... "put a bucket on the table, blah, blah..." great memories... Nautical was a amazing vibe in late 80's/early 90's...Lots of youth's... Sand VolleyBall Court on the main beach at the nautical used to go off..... lots of college age folks....miss those days...

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Supposedly that and the restaurant bar.

It’s just such a poorly run operation all around that nothing surprises me anymore.

And I say that because they could really dominate the hospitality market in havasu. They just never execute.
You are 100% correct. This place should dominate!