WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Name the car game

Taboma

Reaction score
it's a Pro Am deck that's been grafted on to a 21 Schiada jet bote' then converted to a V-drive

View attachment 1071538

Oh very cool, that explains the more curved deck at the bow, not Howard but Schiada. 👍 If that deck were a bit more shallow, losing that first step above the gunnel, it would be very similar to my old Cole Super Hawk deck design.
Now with the side view you can see how much shorter it is, now you show that card. 🤣

So where is it today --- I hope you don't say it's another Lanart :oops:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
OH OH, hope it's not on it's way to it's final resting place 😢
Nope. I'm roofing the out building and needed to move the boat to a safe place..

Taboma

Reaction score
Nope. I'm roofing the out building and needed to move the boat to a safe place..

Oh so it's still on the "Things I'm going to restore" list ? I've got one of those in my Havasu garage too, yup, any day -- or year or decade now 🤣
But, it's on the list. 👍

old rigger

Reaction score
I could swear we've done this with this exact car a couple years ago here on RDP. If I were worth a shit on the search bar here I would pull it up. I know we figured out exactly what it was though. I'm almost positive Franklin is correct, 1930-32.

I was just going to say the same thing!

It's those damn hood sides that I can't figure out. The bulk of car builders in the early to mid 30s used functioning doors on the hood, but this one just had 5 louvered sections, no doors.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Oh so it's still on the "Things I'm going to restore" list ? I've got one of those in my Havasu garage too, yup, any day -- or year or decade now 🤣
But, it's on the list. 👍
I tried giving it to @cofooter but he doesn't like the looks or style of the boat.

Wheeler

Reaction score
You can't be serious, that's an awesome looking boat and if I were ---- Nope, no way, not even 🤣
Yep. I'm serious. I've since become accustomed to her looks so I've made plans for the old battle ship. I only hope I live long enough to ge her done. :)

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep. I'm serious. I've since become accustomed to her looks so I've made plans for the old battle ship. I only hope I live long enough to ge her done. :)

She's a great looking ride and not yet another 70-80's clone of a clone and I'd love to see that gal back on the water, hope it works out for you. 👍
Has @cofooter sought help ? 🤪
I'm wanting to get my Cole Night Hawk wet again too, figured it would be a retirement project --- Oh My, and here I am 10 years retired and --- time sure does fly :eek:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I rode in this boat before and after it was converted to a v drive.
Did this have a turbo motor and get insurance totaled at some point? I think I did interior work on it.

pixrthis

Reaction score
It did have a turbo motor and it did crash. The story I remember is that Brent Leach cut down a 25’ Eliminator deck to fit onto a Schiada bottom. A friend bought the boat as a jet and converted it to a vdrive. He was in Burbank at the time and shared a shop with Norm Grimes so I’d bet Joe’s tooling did the glass work and Grimes built the engine. It’s possible that Carson had something to do with the rigging. I drove it as a vdrive and at the time it drove wet, couldn’t get it to sit on its tail.
I remember it being really nice otherwise.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Did this have a turbo motor and get insurance totaled at some point? I think I did interior work on it.
Yes on the turbo I'll find pix.
It did have a turbo motor and it did crash. The story I remember is that Brent Leach cut down a 25’ Eliminator deck to fit onto a Schiada bottom. A friend bought the boat as a jet and converted it to a vdrive. He was in Burbank at the time and shared a shop with Norm Grimes so I’d bet Joe’s tooling did the glass work and Grimes built the engine. It’s possible that Carson had something to do with the rigging. I drove it as a vdrive and at the time it drove wet, couldn’t get it to sit on its tail.
Charly Ward said the time frame puts Brent at 16 years of age for this boat when first finished.. Lee agreed but what do I know. Also heard a story of a shot gun used on the mold or two hulls that were at the shop. Then again. this is what was said at the ski races several years ago. IDK. :)

Wheeler

Reaction score
She's a great looking ride and not yet another 70-80's clone of a clone and I'd love to see that gal back on the water, hope it works out for you. 👍
Has @cofooter sought help ? 🤪
I'm wanting to get my Cole Night Hawk wet again too, figured it would be a retirement project --- Oh My, and here I am 10 years retired and --- time sure does fly :eek:

As much as your presence is appreciated here on rdp. at some point it's time to step away from the key board. and get things done. :)

pixrthis

Reaction score
Yes on the turbo I'll find pix.

Charly Ward said the time frame puts Brent at 16 years of age for this boat when first finished.. Lee agreed but what do I know. Also heard a story of a shot gun used on the mold or two hulls that were at the shop. Then again. this is what was said at the ski races several years ago. IDK. :)
It’s a cool boat and the mystery gives us more to talk about which makes it cooler. I do know it used to say Fast Company on the transom.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Interior such as seats? When the boat was painted by Paint 'n place in Placentia they left the seats sit outside and the fbric is ruined / sun burnt . So much for being the painters to the stars or so that was their claim to fame.! 😅

Wheeler

Reaction score
It’s a cool boat and the mystery gives us more to talk about which makes it cooler. I do know it used to say Fast Company on the transom.
The boat had a bow rail on it and as I recall it was a brownish color before the repain.

I'll stop by to See Charley to get freshened up on the crazy man with the shotgun story. 😅

Sandy Gilcrest ( One of the owners of Eliminator and neighbor of Bob Leach back when they lived in Orange park acres, next to the Carvers) lives around the corner i'll stop by and visit him in a day or two and show him the photos. I would think a story or two will come out of it. If not I'll get some good shit to talk about from when Sandy owned Newport Imports. 😂

Wheeler

Reaction score
As much as your presence is appreciated here on rdp. at some point it's time to step away from the key board. and get things done. :)
And to prove how much I appreciate your participation along with your humor, not to mention your above average knowledge of electricity. I found some more pro am / eliminator pix 4 your viewing pleasure. :)

Now step away from the key board and get your boat done and I'll do the same. I'm sure no one will miss us. :)

IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg
pro_am.jpg
20110610110730.jpg
20110610101843.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Never heard about it being totaled or about insurance but did hear it lifted it's tail during deceleration and rolled over at castaic. Most of it time was spent at pine lake I hear.

Here's the engine out of the white boat and a photo the the transom of the Eliminator showing the pad for @Taboma
Pix 4 edit 043.jpg
CIMG1196.JPG
Pix 4 edit 036.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
You are not the only one to have driven it or had a story to tell. @ djunkie said he drove it at Elsinore and river dave claimed that he saw it for sale in the trader at some point in time which never happened. :)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Yes that’s the boat and story. A guy bought it I think as a total ( I think) and put it back together. He took it to Ambrose for interior and he called me. Because of the carbs and or exhaust it was a busy cover but there was no money in it and I got them to leave the flame arrestees and carbs exposed.

Taboma

Reaction score
Very Cool, enjoyed the pics and story of the Pro Am and Schi-Am 😁 I know (Well my eyes tell me anyway) damn well Cole copied that upper deck step for the Super Hawk, then just ditched the lower step. There's my old SH below, the Night Hawk edges are more "Euro" rounded.
What's the racing story on the yellow pro am ?
Bummer the Schi-Am didn't work well, maybe it had the typical jet bote hook ??

Don't worry my NH isn't neglected I pat the bitch on the ass every trip to Havasu and reassure her, we'll get wet and nasty before I check out. 😁

95 cole superhawk.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Yes that’s the boat and story. A guy bought it I think as a total ( I think) and put it back together. He took it to Ambrose for interior and he called me. Because of the carbs and or exhaust it was a busy cover but there was no money in it and I got them to leave the flame arrestees and carbs exposed.
Matt Rose is the guy I bought it from and is or was a friend of Djunkies. Matt had a shop across from ours off of Miller and Mira Loma and the boat sat out front for the longest time before he got it going. I remember my brother commenting on how ugly it was and we should tow it to the scrap yard across the way. :)

Who is Ambrose? I'm guessing paint 'n place?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Matt Rose is the guy I bought it from and is or was a friend of Djunkies. Matt had a shop across from ours off of Miller and Mira Loma and the boat sat out front for the longest time before he got it going. I remember my brother commenting on how ugly it was and we should tow it to the scrap yard across the way. :)

Who is Ambrose? I'm guessing paint 'n place?
Ambrose is a hot rod trimmer. He would do boats sometimes and would sub some work to me.
This guy was flipping distressed cars and boats as a side deal and I don’t think he had anything to do more than turning it. As for Dave seeing it in boat trader, possible, probable.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Ambrose is a hot rod trimmer. He would do boats sometimes and would sub some work to me.
This guy was flipping distressed cars and boats as a side deal and I don’t think he had anything to do more than turning it. As for Dave seeing it in boat trader, possible, probable.
If my memory serves me, Matt bought the boat in the mid '90's and I from him in '02 it's been sitting covered up in a hangar other than the 6 months when it was sent off to a Havasu boat shop to get it running and on the water. this never happened so back in a hangar it went.

Do you recall the year that you worked on it? I'll call Matt when I get the chance to see what he remembers. Thanks for your time and the information that you've provided. 👍👍

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
post so cal earth
If my memory serves me, Matt bought the boat in the mid '90's and I from him in '02 it's been sitting covered up in a hangar other than the 6 months when it was sent off to a Havasu boat shop to get it running and on the water. this never happened so back in a hangar it went.

Do you recall the year that you worked on it? I'll call Matt when I get the chance to see what he remembers. Thanks for your time and the information that you've provided. 👍👍
It would be after north ridge earthquake so mid 90s would be correct. This Matt guy could have bought it from the flipper. Sorry I can’t tie it to a specific event that would narrow it down. Sean might be a little more Specific. Seems I had knowledge of the boat before it got there or it went somewhere and I knew it. Could it have been at Burbank Custom Marine during this period?

Wheeler

Reaction score
is a hot rod trimmer like a standard auto upholsterer but with a higher level of skill ?

and the rust bucket in the desert, what is it a henway, franklin or ???

If anyone ever asks me again I'm just gunna punch 'em in the nose. :)

Wheeler

Reaction score
It would be after north ridge earthquake so mid 90s would be correct. This Matt guy could have bought it from the flipper. Sorry I can’t tie it to a specific event that would narrow it down. Sean might be a little more Specific. Seems I had knowledge of the boat before it got there or it went somewhere and I knew it. Could it have been at Burbank Custom Marine during this period?

I sent Matt a text this morning and have yet to here back. Since the original, original owner in the second sense owned Burbank fence company that might make sense. i'll wait for Matt to call or try getting hold of Steve Brakett that is if he is still with us.

Now that I think about it. All the time I've spent yappin 'bout this damn boat I could have finished it up and been on the water. 😅

Taboma

Reaction score
I sent Matt a text this morning and have yet to here back. Since the original, original owner in the second sense owned Burbank fence company that might make sense. i'll wait for Matt to call or try getting hold of Steve Brakett that is if he is still with us.

Now that I think about it. All the time I've spent yappin 'bout this damn boat I could have finished it up and been on the water. 😅

To review --- oh never mind, I lost track of which of the two you still have 🤪
Who raced the 236 Pro-Am ? You don't have that one anymore or never did right ?

So you're going to restore the Schi-Am, the one that will toss you on your head when you let off ?

Being a bit more serious, I really think the lines on the Schi-Am are cool, different, but stylish, I can't figure out what others don't like about it.
I think that boat is a head turner, I see Schiadas and Howards and Spectras, all very nice boats, all rather (This will get me slayed where I sleep) boring. 🥴

Besides, some times the ugliest boat sets records and wins a trophy. Take the case of Bill Cooper, who in 1967 took a 17' Formula Jr., a model I was very familiar with, as it was my 2nd boat I'd bought right after High School, and made it famous --- or made people realize just how crazy he was.
Wonder if this is where Reggie got the idea for the nose on his Fountains ?

Bill Cooper Formula Jr.JPG

Reaction score

So you're going to restore the Schi-Am, the one that will toss you on your head when you let off ?

Being a bit more serious, I really think the lines on the Schi-Am are cool, different, but stylish, I can't figure out what others don't like about it.
I think that boat is a head turner, I see Schiadas and Howards and Spectras, all very nice boats, all rather (This will get me slayed where I sleep) boring. 🥴

Besides, some times the ugliest boat sets records and wins a trophy. Take the case of Bill Cooper, who in 1967 took a 17' Formula Jr., a model I was very familiar with, as it was my 2nd boat I'd bought right after High School, and made it famous --- or made people realize just how crazy he was.
Wonder if this is where Reggie got the idea for the nose on his Fountains ?

View attachment 1072011

that looks like a surface drive, must have been one of the first for 1967 or is the hull a 1967 and the pic later ?

Taboma

Reaction score
that looks like a surface drive, must have been one of the first for 1967 or is the hull a 1967 and the pic later ?

Not sure which year Formula, but the boat was racing with that configuration by 1966 at least. If you look at the other pics of that boat I posted in the "When crazy men raced ugly boats" thread, you'll notice the engine is right over the top of that skeg ahead of the driver. That boat is essentially a straight inboard, what you're seeing isn't so much a surface drive as just strut supports for the long shaft. The rudder is aft of the prop.
The idea of the driver sitting so far back and the hapless co-pilot riding semi-submerged was to keep the prop in the water going over the waves.

Now here's an example of a very early surface piercing props, used in the early 1900's to navigate the Colorado river. 😁

OK, I'm going to leave now before Wheeler shoots my aging ass for making a train wreck of his thread. 🥴

Twin Surface Prop boat on colorado river.jpg

Twin Surface Prop boat idle.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Not sure which year Formula, but the boat was racing with that configuration by 1966 at least. If you look at the other pics of that boat I posted in the "When crazy men raced ugly boats" thread, you'll notice the engine is right over the top of that skeg ahead of the driver. That boat is essentially a straight inboard, what you're seeing isn't so much a surface drive as just strut supports for the long shaft. The rudder is aft of the prop.
The idea of the driver sitting so far back and the hapless co-pilot riding semi-submerged was to keep the prop in the water going over the waves.

Now here's an example of a very early surface piercing props, used in the early 1900's to navigate the Colorado river. 😁

OK, I'm going to leave now before Wheeler shoots my aging ass for making a train wreck of his thread. 🥴

View attachment 1072172

View attachment 1072173
How in the hell did you find my family photos?

Taboma

Reaction score
How in the hell did you find my family photos?
Just stumbled across them while researching my own roots. All these members going bragging about Mayflower this and Pilgrims that, well I found mine too, so HA. This explains a lot and suddenly I have the urge for grass-hoppers. 🤣
The Real Piute Indians 1861.JPG

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
So is the car a Henway or a Dickfor? Whatever it is, great thread. 👍

Wheeler

Reaction score

I still have these two boats. I don't believe in selling toys untill they are used up or crashed. :

No restoration needed. I need to finish the plumbing and electrical then break in the new cam. The Eliminator needs to be put back together. It needs an engine, gauges, interior etc.

IMG_4337.jpg
Boat V-Drive 002 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
BOAT 016 (23).jpg
BOAT 016 (18).jpg
12-100_3342.JPG

Oh very cool, that explains the more curved deck at the bow, not Howard but Schiada. 👍 If that deck were a bit more shallow, losing that first step above the gunnel, it would be very similar to my old Cole Super Hawk deck design.
Now with the side view you can see how much shorter it is, now you show that card. 🤣

So where is it today --- I hope you don't say it's another Lanart :oops:
It's in Parker sitting in a hangar. Been clearing out another hangar to make room for the Eliminator and what ever else I find in or behind the truck when I get home each day. :)

Taboma

Reaction score
The only reason that I've kept it is 'cause no body else has onel.
Damn straight, I think it has a very modern look that will turn some heads, horizontally, not vertically of course :oops:🤣

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ya I remember those pipes but I don’t remember the waste gates being there.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Wait till fo’sitty sees those faded red A-N fittings. 😳
I'll be going with black fitting along with the hoses if I ever get around to re plumbing it. I'll fed ex him all of the faded red that he needs to complete his colllection. :D

Wheeler

Reaction score
Ya I remember those pipes but I don’t remember the waste gates being there.
New Turbos and waste gates from turbonetics. one of the ray-jays self destructed.

Good memory!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
New Turbos and waste gates from turbonetics. one of the ray-jays self destructed.

Good memory!
Ya boat and cars guys can’t remember a name but “you’re the guy with the Hallet with the Mopar”