WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Naming Children

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I had never given Names much thought until the past several years. The fact that Parents are making the choice to name their child a Unique, Different, Stand Out is a little understandable as the typical Tom, Jill and Bobby is maybe Bland. I have been reading the names I feel are going to Hurt these Children. The other children they go to school with can be mean and the Bully effect has been proven to do such incredible harm in so many different ways in a Childs life. I read an Article about a young Girl back East who left her Parents, Brother and Sister a Note explaining why she could not go on. I am not going to mention the name, in case some one has decided on this name, but for any doubters here , it's the Child that Lives with Your choice for life, no matter how long Or Short. The teachers and other Students did step up AFTER she was gone stating they heard and knew of her "Teasing". Thanks, Kind Of Late, you can live with that one:(
I have read some names that actually made me WTF!!. Children have enough Shit in their lives why stack another forever one on them. I remember when Whitney Huston becamme famous for a ccouple of years that name was the Most Popular Girls name. I don't mean at all that is a Crazy name, but people some times just Try To hard.
Sometimes "Old School" is Good.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
The majority of girls in our younger daughters class were named Kaitlin/Caitlin/Catelyn. Spelling was the only difference.
Now it's Sparrow, Foster and Farren.

Sparrow, I would be the Youngest person to be sentenced to "Life" in History. I can not imagine the Ridicule this poor Gal is going to endure?
:mad:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
The majority of girls in our younger daughters class were named Kaitlin/Caitlin/Catelyn. Spelling was the only difference.
Now it's Sparrow, Foster and Farren.
My buddy named his daughter Farren. He named his boat Farrenheit with a thermometer exploding next to it and won the Hot Boat Magazine name your boat contest about 20 years ago.

rickym20

Reaction score
Wanted to name my 2nd boy Rambo. Not sure what effect that would have had. Good or bad , never will know since I lost that battle.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Fuk my wife is Chinese, I just threw a handful of silverware down the stairs.😜😂😂😂 j/k
Some names will get you teased as a kid, some will make you tougher. I see the real morons naming their kids with screwed up names are celebrities, then the idiots that that cherish them follow suit and name their kids the same.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Fuk my wife is Chinese, I just threw a handful of silverware down the stairs.😜😂😂😂 j/k
Some names will get you teased as a kid, some will make you tougher. I see the real morons naming their kids with screwed up names are celebrities, then the idiots that that cherish them follow suit and name their kids the same.

Some will make you tougher, Why the Gamble? It isn't you out there taking "Shit" daily🤔

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I recently did a job at a preschool. Each kid has a cubby hole and a storage box. I didn't recognize 3/4 of the names. LOL

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sparrow, I would be the Youngest person to be sentenced to "Life" in History. I can not imagine the Ridicule this poor Gal is going to endure?
:mad:
I named my oldest boy Trevor.
No Trevors we knew of.
Now several of his Latino friends are named Trevor with a twist:
Over half of our Glamis group are Latino the other families Scandinavian and West Euro. Through intermarriage within the group the Latino families are the Andersons, the Jensens. the O'Shannessy's.
The Scandinavians families are becoming the Portillos, Lopez and Luceros.

But,, it's starting to change back with the current generations. Full circle.

One of my girls got her mom's last name and that's what she's known by and answers to: Turbo.

Cdog

Reaction score
Kids are weird. My Daughters dont like their names. Summer & Giselle. They're 13 & 10 so what the hell do they know? I think it fits them.

7262160B-5E91-41D3-BC1C-A3D71ADF59AC.jpeg

My middle name is Thomas. I wish I would have gone with that instead of Corey as my first name. Corey is a kids name to me. HAHA! Too late I guess.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Oldest kiddo had classes with kids named Solar, Casual, Rain, all were weird n goofy according to him and he gets along with everyone

2Driver

Reaction score
Kids are weird. My Daughters dont like their names. Summer & Giselle. They're 13 & 10 so what the hell do they know? I think it fits them.

View attachment 945075

My middle name is Thomas. I wish I would have gone with that instead of Corey as my first name. Corey is a kids name to me. HAHA! Too late I guess.

My parents called me by my middle name and if course it stuck for life and it can be a real pain the ass Thomas.

Cdog

Reaction score
Oldest kiddo had classes with kids named Solar, Casual, Rain, all were weird n goofy according to him and he gets along with everyone

I just picked up a new buyer client yesterday coming from Washington named Rain. Strange.....

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
My only criteria was that my kids names couldn't be shortened... No Vikki's or Katie's or Jenny's in my house.

We ended up with old English names not normally associated with girls. Ainsley and Leland. Coincidentally one means "meadow" in old english, the other means "meadow" in gaelic. We didn't plan it that way.

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score
My oldest daughter is Kylie. Second is named Jocey after Josey Whales. My son Kenneth is named after my grandpa, his full name is Kenneth Ace Dearden and goes by Ace. I have had a number of people tell me their grandpa or great grandpa was named Ace in the last 4 yrs.

DWC

Reaction score
Thought about naming our oldest son Sue. Little bullying never hurt anyone. Went with Jackson instead. It was my wife’s maiden name and they didn’t have any boys to carry on the family name. Ended up going with presidents names after that. Madison and Adam for the next two.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I had never given Names much thought until the past several years. The fact that Parents are making the choice to name their child a Unique, Different, Stand Out is a little understandable as the typical Tom, Jill and Bobby is maybe Bland. I have been reading the names I feel are going to Hurt these Children. The other children they go to school with can be mean and the Bully effect has been proven to do such incredible harm in so many different ways in a Childs life. I read an Article about a young Girl back East who left her Parents, Brother and Sister a Note explaining why she could not go on. I am not going to mention the name, in case some one has decided on this name, but for any doubters here , it's the Child that Lives with Your choice for life, no matter how long Or Short. The teachers and other Students did step up AFTER she was gone stating they heard and knew of her "Teasing". Thanks, Kind Of Late, you can live with that one:(
I have read some names that actually made me WTF!!. Children have enough Shit in their lives why stack another forever one on them. I remember when Whitney Huston becamme famous for a ccouple of years that name was the Most Popular Girls name. I don't mean at all that is a Crazy name, but people some times just Try To hard.
Sometimes "Old School" is Good.
“Old School”... my grandpa’s name was Clyde. No one fucks with a dude named Clyde.😎

Icky

Reaction score
Icky JR.? :D
My nickname is Icky, friends of mine that have known me for years don't even know my name since everyone calls me that. My little brother who's 23 now couldn't say Eric when he was learning to talk. It went from ick to icky, thats the original reason, there's probably 100s of others why people think i got it too 😁.

So yes, everyone has been trying there own versions. Dos Icky, Icky dos, little ick, icky Jr. Hes only 1 so hes got some time to figure out his real name before everyone confuses him😎

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My nickname is Icky, friends of mine that have known me for years don't even know my name since everyone calls me that. My little brother who's 23 now couldn't say Eric when he was learning to talk. It went from ick to icky, thats the original reason, there's probably 100s of others why people think i got it too 😁.

So yes, everyone has been trying there own versions. Dos Icky, Icky dos, little ick, icky Jr. Hes only 1 so hes got some time to figure out his real name before everyone confuses him😎
Ickson.

JD D05

Reaction score

My brothers name is Eric, I have always liked it. But I dig old Viking names.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
We named my daughter Kaileigh which is pronounced Kylie. Since I'm Irish ish and wife Chinese Filipino from Hawaii Kai in Hawaiian means water or ocean and Leigh in Celtic means healer.. She is a water baby too. Can't get her out of it.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I always thought about this when naming my children. I have the same name as my Dad. However, we have different middle names so I'm not a Junior. My Dad said he wanted me to have the same name as him but didn't want me to be a Junior. My Dads middle name is after his Dad and my middle name is after my Maternal Grandfather.

My Dad tells me a story of his cousin that is named Oliver Conrad Arneson. He said he was constantly picked on as a kid growing up. He chose to use the nickname Sonny to avoid further issues. He had a son and named him the same name as a Junior. People would ask him why he named his son the same thing after all the turmoil you went through as a kid with that name. His response was that it toughened him up and he hopes it does the same for his son.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Before my wife and I were even dating she was sitting on the couch at her parents house and writing down possible kid names. Her oldest brother and I were best friends since High School and I was over visiting. She was 18 I was 25, so while I was waiting on him I asked what she was doing so she told me about the possible kid names, not that she was pregnant or anything just killing time I guess. I took the paper and wrote down her first initial J and spelled out her middle name Lynn, she immediately loved the sound of it and spelled it out as Jaylin. Eventually we started dating, got married had our first daughter who is named Jaylin. Of course then came the deal with her that each kid had to start with a J and have a Y in it, so we ended up 4 kids, Jaylin, Jaymee, Jaysen and Jaydah.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’ve never met a real one in the life that I always thought this was hilarious sorry it’s a long clip I don’t know how to cut it down.😆

johnnyC

Reaction score
A friend of my wife was married to a tv personalty, his last name Hood. He had a daughter from a prior marriage named Robin.
I went through jr high school and high school with a guy named robin sherwood hood ....man he took a beating... too bad he was a nice guy! right then i decided on main stream names for my kids..... dont know what ever happend to him

NicPaus

Reaction score
My oldest daughter is Kylie. Second is named Jocey after Josey Whales. My son Kenneth is named after my grandpa, his full name is Kenneth Ace Dearden and goes by Ace. I have had a number of people tell me their grandpa or great grandpa was named Ace in the last 4 yrs.
My newest Nephew born a few weeks ago is a Ace. Also his middle name but they plan to call him that. Everett Ace. His 4 year old older brother is Zeke short for Ezekiel.

JD D05

Reaction score
My newest Nephew born a few weeks ago is a Ace. Also his middle name but they plan to call him that. Everett Ace. His 4 year old older brother is Zeke short for Ezekiel.

That's awesome. I really like the name Ace. They did what we did also and give them the option of something different if they choose.

Wolskis

Reaction score

I wanted to name my oldest son Ace, lobbied for 5 months. No go, settled for Mitchell.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Our son will be Stetson Ray.

Fight me [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Named our son "Anthony". Wanted a traditional Italian name that wasn't Giuseppe, Leonardo, Rafael, or the other TMNT. Wasn't even thinking about "I Dream of Jeannie" at the time. Middle name, Wil, is after his great-grandfather. He's glad we didn't use his full name, "Wilfred".

What gets me is that the hospitals in the hood just hand the new mothers a Scrabble bag full of letter tiles, and tells them to grab a handful.

Best one I saw was a kid named Le-a. I called her "LEE YA" (pronunciation) and she yelled at me and said her name is "Ledasha", "the dash don't be silent"

welldigger00

Reaction score
You go to the country club nowadays and hear all the moms calling out for their kids in the pool. My olady an I sit and crack up at all the names. “Dashell!! Macabee! Gunner! Come on Winston, leave Copernicus alone!” It’s hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My daughter, Brittany and her husband Brandon named the boys Carson and Hudson. My wife's nephew and his wife named their boys Knox and Ozzy.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
And what's with all the XXX-den?
Heyden, Cayden, Brayden, Jayden, Dayden.......................