WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Navigation in a boat?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Do any of you have dedicated GPS units mounted in your boats?

I was realizing the other day, with as much as our local lake level fluctuates, it would be nice to have something like the baja 540 we have in the race trucks, in the boat. The ability to mark a hazard with a note like "4332" elevation would be nice. However, the baja 540 has far more features than I need.

Anyone have a cheaper alternative to suggest? I would also love the ability to get a map from someone well versed with havasu, marking sand bars or whatever. Is this already something people do, or not really? Seems like we are always exchanging maps with others for desert races.

--Jeff

2Driver

Reaction score
I envision one for sit-down jet skis where a hand would come out of the GPS and grab the driver by the balls and shut off the ski.

I also see the same application for wake boats and families towing tubes.

Havasteve

Reaction score
Do any of you have dedicated GPS units mounted in your boats?

I was realizing the other day, with as much as our local lake level fluctuates, it would be nice to have something like the baja 540 we have in the race trucks, in the boat. The ability to mark a hazard with a note like "4332" elevation would be nice. However, the baja 540 has far more features than I need.

Anyone have a cheaper alternative to suggest? I would also love the ability to get a map from someone well versed with havasu, marking sand bars or whatever. Is this already something people do, or not really? Seems like we are always exchanging maps with others for desert races.

--Jeff

I bought a cheap Samsung 7" and an app with maps galore. Works great and has the brightest screen. It has a map of Havasu on it that shows all the roads and bridges under the lake including a few bridges and buildings.

IMG_1813.jpg

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Thats not a bad idea...I didnt think of that.

Can you mark hazards on your own with a map like that? Was it one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...TF8&qid=1456782387&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+7"

What about using a "fish finder" with like sonar to map the ground? Some of those thing have side sonar and all sorts of crap. Seems like it would be cool for finding underwater hazards on a lake that's new to you...but also probably overkill/$$.

I bought a cheap Samsung 7" and an app with maps galore. Works great and has the brightest screen. It has a map of Havasu on it that shows all the roads and bridges under the lake including a few bridges and buildings.

View attachment 469359

Havasteve

Reaction score
I think I have $70 tied up in this and a few dollars for an app with maps from aviation to oceanic charts.

Yes, you can mark on the map. I have all my secret glory holes marked.

Sonar isn't necessary due to the topographical info on the map.

If you're not that familiar with the lake, there aren't many hazards you cant see through the water. For some reason Arizona marks hazards with buoys and California doesn't.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Is it Hooked up to cell service? If not, does it do a good job at cache'ing maps? Or are they fully downloaded?

Havasteve

Reaction score
No cell, WiFi only. Maps are cached when they are opened while online.

Better more expensive tabs will have standing cell connections and Bluetooth. I was intrigued by the ability to connect to a back up camera for my boat and can run my Autohelm too.

I selected the Samsung Tab 2 7" because it was rated brightest screen when I researched it. And it was like $69.99.

spectracular

Reaction score
I am using a Furuno GP-32. It seems pretty old compared to newer stuff, but it gave me the basics such as accurate speed, voltage, 1-button waypoint, and a compass. It is waterproof and grabs satellites within 30 seconds. Price was right too. Around $275. No maps just a plotter.

drejustice

Reaction score
we had a garmin 740s. It came loaded with inland lakes maps already loaded. It showed hazards, marinas, ramps, etc. plus had sounder capabilities. It was nice to have when you hit a new lake for the 1st time.
It also left cookie crumb like tracks from previous trips so you could find your way back home :)

I wouldn't have boat without it if ever traveling to different boating spots.

j21black

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 741xs - going in the boat in the next few weeks.

It came pre-loaded with LakeVu HD maps for US lakes and Rivers, and the G2 Maps for US Coastal waters...

I purchased the LakeVu HD Ultra Maps for it yesterday as my lake is a MaxDep lake...

Check out the video, it talks about using all the additional information it provides with fishing, but identifies underwater obstructions all the same, especially if you interface it with Sonar.

[video=youtube;NPuVs0ViMrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPuVs0ViMrY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPuVs0ViMrY[/video]

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
All fantastic suggestions, thanks guys.

I downloaded some topo map to one of my kids kindle's last night to play with it, pretty cool. I was totally sold until I saw that LakeVu video. That is incredible. Seems fantastic for visiting new lakes.

I am going to do some research. I will definitely wind up with a samsung tab and some maps if my budget wont allow something thats LakeVu compatible.

--Jeff

j21black

Reaction score
All fantastic suggestions, thanks guys.

I downloaded some topo map to one of my kids kindle's last night to play with it, pretty cool. I was totally sold until I saw that LakeVu video. That is incredible. Seems fantastic for visiting new lakes.

I am going to do some research. I will definitely wind up with a samsung tab and some maps if my budget wont allow something thats LakeVu compatible.

--Jeff

If you buy the lake vu Ultra, I scored it $50 cheaper dropped shipped direct from Garmin through and on-line vendor. If you want the info, PM me.

Also now is the time to buy a 741 - Prices are way down as a new model is in the works. The 741XS, come preloaded with LakeVu HD, but not the Ultra card.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Would be nice. But I would be distracted trying to lock at a screen an trying to avoid sandbars and rock bars north of the needles bridge

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My Nordic has the Mercury Marine Vessel View. It has gps in it as well as a shit load of other info.
35f1d748a15b3deb2071602c8a02cd6c.jpg

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Is lake data available for the VV7? I can't find much info available on the GPS features other than WayPoints.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I also have the Garmin 741xs and love it. It is pricey, but so worth it. The moving map is very fast, there's no loading when zooming or panning which all other units seemed to do. Lots of detail, goes down to 1ft contour lines. For the coastal charts I can set my min depth so anything <6ft is blue, so I know if I'm in the white area then it's deep. Not sure you can do that on the inland lake charts though.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is lake data available for the VV7? I can't find much info available on the GPS features other than WayPoints.
I haven't used it or the boat enough yet to see if it has any benefits. No real reason I've needed it..........but I know it's there and some day I'll explore it. [emoji52]

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Looks like inland waterways are limited in features. Lake Powell for one, which is surprising doesn't include the 1ft gradients or lake level adjustments.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I have considered the VV7 for my next boat, don't know how well it works for GPS though.....

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I ended up picking up a used iPad for cheap and putting navionics on it. I like it so far.

I am also going to buy the sonarphone setup so I can get depths, temp, etc accurately.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I do.
Ray Marine C90.
Zero customer support from Ray Marine.

Won't buy any Ray Marine products in the future.
Iphone 6 is far better.

McKay

Reaction score
Looks like inland waterways are limited in features. Lake Powell for one, which is surprising doesn't include the 1ft gradients or lake level adjustments.

I have an iPad mini with Navionics tucked under the windshield on my nordic and it does have the 1' graduations for Powell.