WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NE Journal of Medicine: Wearing a mask offers little, if any, protection

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. ... The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.
It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

This is absurd.
Talismans?
Why not make people wear protection amulets?

MASKS DON'T PROTECT YOU FROM SHIT

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. ... The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.
It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

This is absurd.
Talismans?

Oh great.... now the crystal believers will be going crazy with special crystals that will keep you from catching the virus.

Taboma

Reaction score

This is absurd.
Talismans?

Did you happen to note the "Editors Note" at the top of the page ?? I didn't see it included in your selective pastes. Appreciate you posting, I found the entire article informative.

Editor’s Note: This article was published on April 1, 2020, at NEJM.org. In a letter to the editor on June 3, 2020, the authors of this article state “We strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.”

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Did you happen to note the "Editors Note" at the top of the page ?? I didn't see it included in your selective pastes. Appreciate you posting, I found the entire article informative.

Editor’s Note: This article was published on April 1, 2020, at NEJM.org. In a letter to the editor on June 3, 2020, the authors of this article state “We strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.”

HAHA "Our OPINION is not supported by our FACTS, but you should be a sheep anyhow"... :eek: :p

Taboma

Reaction score
HAHA "Our OPINION is not supported by our FACTS, but you should be a sheep anyhow"... :eek: :p

Did you read the article ? What I read were opinions based on various scenarios, the Editor's Note, might have been influenced by pressure slightly above his pay grade ?

Some of you of referring to others as being sheep is damned hilarious. 😁

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

This is absurd.
Talismans?

WTF, so medicine in the US has devolved so far that we are relying on TALISMANS? Should we use sage too????????!

fucking democrats have lost their god dammed minds

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

They were shamed into the June update which had zero scientific evidence associated with their strong support. Fucking sheep.

Taboma

Reaction score
They were shamed into the June update which had zero scientific evidence associated with their strong support. Fucking sheep.

The article itself wasn't based on scientific evidence, it's basis was in the opinion of this collective group of doctors and nurses. This wasn't a scientific study, rather, an opinion piece. I thought it was a good article and I certainly take no exception to it, nor am I qualified to do so.
You label them sheep only after they add the Editor's Note, so does this mean you invalidate the entire article or just the Editors Note because it doesn't conform to collective thoughts of your flock ?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Prior to this year almost all of the studies in the efficacy of masks to prevent virus transmission (especially and specifically common cold and influenza) showed inconclusive at best, and ineffective at worst. Those studies go from just a couple years ago, all the way back to early 2000. Some of them actually come from the early days of the pandemic, when the CDC, WHO, and Fauci among others were saying masks are just a security blanket.

All of a sudden when masks become a political issue used by democrats you have a bunch of experts come out and say they do work, refuting all prior research without addressing it. Sorta like climate change.

The whole fucking thing is political. The mask is a virtue signal, a muzzle of compliance.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Taboma seems to believe pretty heavily in wearing a mask.

That’s fine.

Taboma, you wear a mask all you want. If they really are that effective, wearing one should be all the protection you need. Why should the rest of us have to wear one?

If you are really that concerned about catching this thing, then stay home. Let the rest of us live our normal lives.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

That’s fine.

Taboma, you wear a mask all you want. If they really are that effective, wearing one should be all the protection you need. Why should the rest of us have to wear one?

If you are really that concerned about catching this thing, then stay home. Let the rest of us live our normal lives.

His mortality is racing at him.
He doesn’t want to speed it up, and it’s somehow fallen to us to prevent that even though we have no power over it.
He’s not alone, millions hold us as somehow responsible for their health, and more over, responsible for their mortality.
It’s bizarre to me.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

That’s fine.

He doesn’t want to speed it up, and it’s somehow fallen to us to prevent that even though we have no power over it.
He’s not alone, millions hold us as somehow responsible for their health, and more over, responsible for their mortality.
It’s bizarre to me.

The unwavering advocating for masks has only one logical end game, masks must be worn at all times in public from now into perpetuity.

That is a fucked up society for human beings, we are social creatures, and measuring facial expression is one of the most important forms of social awareness and interaction.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
2016 article

N95 vs. Surgical mask

Went to Walmart today.
It clearly says on the sign that any sort of rag is acceptable.
Not a single business or politician supporting mask wearing has specified any type of mask as the solution that I’m aware of.

A dirty sock literally qualifies.

Studies are moot.

4Waters

Reaction score
I shit you not. I didn't know what a talisman was so I searched it and this was the first thing that came up🤣🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20200922-172511_Chrome.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just to put this into perspective, 300,000 Americans die every year of the obesity epidemic, many of them are obese from childhood onward.

What foods should we ban to start saving those lives?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Just to put this into perspective, 300,000 Americans die every year of the obesity epidemic, many of them are obese from childhood onward.

What foods should we ban to start saving those lives?

50% of all cancer can be eliminated by ending obesity and smoking.
Where’s the outrage?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
50% of all cancer can be eliminated by ending obesity and smoking.
Where’s the outrage?

Yep, and you can even make the argument that it does affect those that don't have a choice, children who don't get to choose what meals are served at home.

The entire situation is so beyond preposterous all you can do is laugh. 😂

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Yep, and you can even make the argument that it does affect those that don't have a choice, children who don't get to choose what meals are served at home.

The entire situation is so beyond preposterous all you can do is laugh. 😂
Micky D's says HI!!!!

Taboma

Reaction score

That’s fine.

Seems to me you need to take a refresher course in reading comprehension. Perhaps you'd care to share which words I wrote above that caused you to arrive at this most brilliant deduction ----- " Taboma seems to believe pretty heavily in wearing a mask. "

Was it because I pasted a follow up Editor's Note ? Was it because in another reply I stated I felt that article was an opinion piece, not an actual scientific study ?
Please, what exactly was it ?
For the record, I don't care what you think you think you know about what and how I think. I'm inclined to think you're not very bright.

Taboma

Reaction score
It’s bizarre to me.

I don't know what's happened to you, but it's sad. Not only you, but several others in your flock I held in such high regard that I looked forward to reading their RDP contributions. Now, rarely do I find this the case. 😔

Yes, my life clock is running faster than yours and facing an illness that has far worse odds for my age group than your own, has certainly caused me to be cautious.

" He's not alone " so with that you've decided how I think, you've decided that I somehow hold YOU or anybody else responsible for my health.

I'm guessing you arrived at that brilliant deduction because at some point during this COVID fiasco, I wrote that I thought wearing a mask when required wasn't that huge of a deal and it showed some degree of consideration for others.
I wrote that based on what I'd read from more than one source and after watching a few videos, suggesting that a facial covering might lesson the distance of larger droplets if a person yells, or spits, or sneezes or coughs. I didn't advocate the wearing of masks, but unlike so many of you, I also wasn't the least concerned about it signaling I'd taken a knee as part of some conspiratorial leftist collective. I thought it a simple and polite gesture.

I'd also read where social distancing might offer a slight advantage and how social distancing for the most part was already a way of life for me. I don't like crowds, so I've always tended to avoid them. I've posted numerous times on this forum how when humanity goes right, I go left and visa versa. When you all go park your asses in the channel, I head out in search of deserted beaches.

I'm also being extra vigilant about sanitizing cart handles, my hands, and washing them far more often than before. I've got my own sanitizer and my own soap, I don't see that as asking anything from you ??

I also wrote how much I enjoyed our May trip to Havasu where we weren't asked to wear masks for a whole week. Here pretty quick, we're heading back, I'm looking forward to now wearing a mask for another whole week. You're free to wear one or not during our visit, mind blowing isn't it ?

All I asked of John Q. Public, was, whenever possible, please stay the fuck outta my face and I'll gladly reciprocate.

So please sir, if asking you to show that slight bit of distancing consideration is me asking YOU to be responsible for my well being, then I'm truly sorry to have imposed this horribly burdensome request on you.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
It’s bizarre to me.
What’s crazy about the masks folks is this. If you are wearing a mask and someone farts, you will smell it. The issue is, the fart is going through THREE masks. Underwear, pants and then finally the mask on the other person. Fart particulate is massively bigger than virus, and newsflash, the Silent but Deadly fart is not exactly sending the particulate out of the ass at supersonic speed like a sneeze or a yell. It’s insane that anyone would trust a little paper to do anything but wipe an ass, roll a joint or wipe up a kitchen spill.

At best, it’s a two mask scenario that the govt wants, not sure but I can even smell a bad one through corduroy pants, long John’s and a heavy coat. Think about that, seriously if people want to avoid the virus wear a virologist pressure suit or hey, just wank outside since its dispersed almost immediately with minimal viral load.

It’s not rocket science, but it is govt control.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don't know what's happened to you, but it's sad. Not only you, but several others in your flock I held in such high regard that I looked forward to reading their RDP contributions. Now, rarely do I find this the case. 😔

Yes, my life clock is running faster than yours and facing an illness that has far worse odds for my age group than your own, has certainly caused me to be cautious.

" He's not alone " so with that you've decided how I think, you've decided that I somehow hold YOU or anybody else responsible for my health.

I'm guessing you arrived at that brilliant deduction because at some point during this COVID fiasco, I wrote that I thought wearing a mask when required wasn't that huge of a deal and it showed some degree of consideration for others.
I wrote that based on what I'd read from more than one source and after watching a few videos, suggesting that a facial covering might lesson the distance of larger droplets if a person yells, or spits, or sneezes or coughs. I didn't advocate the wearing of masks, but unlike so many of you, I also wasn't the least concerned about it signaling I'd taken a knee as part of some conspiratorial leftist collective. I thought it a simple and polite gesture.

I'd also read where social distancing might offer a slight advantage and how social distancing for the most part was already a way of life for me. I don't like crowds, so I've always tended to avoid them. I've posted numerous times on this forum how when humanity goes right, I go left and visa versa. When you all go park your asses in the channel, I head out in search of deserted beaches.

I'm also being extra vigilant about sanitizing cart handles, my hands, and washing them far more often than before. I've got my own sanitizer and my own soap, I don't see that as asking anything from you ??

I also wrote how much I enjoyed our May trip to Havasu where we weren't asked to wear masks for a whole week. Here pretty quick, we're heading back, I'm looking forward to now wearing a mask for another whole week. You're free to wear one or not during our visit, mind blowing isn't it ?

All I asked of John Q. Public, was, whenever possible, please stay the fuck outta my face and I'll gladly reciprocate.

So please sir, if asking you to show that slight bit of distancing consideration is me asking YOU to be responsible for my well being, then I'm truly sorry to have imposed this horribly burdensome request on you.

I’m pretty sure my actions, behavior, and decisions will have the same effect on you as they did the last time you were in town...zero.
That’s my point.

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure my actions, behavior, and decisions will have the same effect on you as they did the last time you were in town...zero.
That’s my point.

Perhaps that was your point, but what I read was you making unflattering and false assumptions about me.

What I do not understand is your motivation for doing so.
I doubt it was to educate, I fail to see how it might be construed as being positive, so I believe that leaves basically four choices.
An attempt to humiliate, to hear the imagined cheers of your peers " Preach it Tommy", or simply to vent your frustrations and use me as your example and the 4th being, all of the above.
If you knew even the slightest about how I conduct my daily life, then you'd know just how far off base your assumptions are.

I'm not going to apologize for not fitting into some exacting mold you and your flock have created to gauge exactly how everything is or isn't.
That's just me and I like me just fine.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Seems to me you need to take a refresher course in reading comprehension. Perhaps you'd care to share which words I wrote above that caused you to arrive at this most brilliant deduction ----- " Taboma seems to believe pretty heavily in wearing a mask. "

Was it because I pasted a follow up Editor's Note ? Was it because in another reply I stated I felt that article was an opinion piece, not an actual scientific study ?
Please, what exactly was it ?
For the record, I don't care what you think you think you know about what and how I think. I'm inclined to think you're not very bright.

Well, clearly a response crafted by someone who is really bright. Because slinging insults is apparently what bright people do when they can’t really defend their positions with anything substantial. Nice work!

I’ve seen your other posts around here and you definitely aren’t anti-mask. You pipe up in topics like this and appear to argue from a pro-mask stance. That is where I form the opinion that you appear to believe in the whole mask deal. Is it not allowed to consider what has been written outside of this topic?

I’ll ask you again...If masks are so effective, why is it not sufficient for you to be wearing one and be protected? Why does everybody else have to wear one too?

Answer up and show us all how bright you are as we all aspire to achieve that level of intelligence so far above the rest of us you apparently think you have reached.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Perhaps that was your point, but what I read was you making unflattering and false assumptions about me.

What I do not understand is your motivation for doing so.
I doubt it was to educate, I fail to see how it might be construed as being positive, so I believe that leaves basically four choices.
An attempt to humiliate, to hear the imagined cheers of your peers " Preach it Tommy", or simply to vent your frustrations and use me as your example and the 4th being, all of the above.
If you knew even the slightest about how I conduct my daily life, then you'd know just how far off base your assumptions are.

I'm not going to apologize for not fitting into some exacting mold you and your flock have created to gauge exactly how everything is or isn't.
That's just me and I like me just fine.

I like you just fine as well.

I don’t have a flock, and I haven’t created any mold.
What HAS happened is that fear and emotion have been used against us to create further means of division...as is demonstrated in this thread.
As if race, class, politics, and ideology wasn’t enough, now we have mask wearers vs non maskers.
It isn’t you that I’m pointing my finger at.
It’s the notion that we are being pitted against each other over a completely inconsequential (and almost ridiculously unbelievable) behavior guideline that judges ME far more harshly than the compliant.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I like you just fine as well.

I don’t have a flock, and I haven’t created any mold.
What HAS happened is that fear and emotion have been used against us to create further means of division...as is demonstrated in this thread.
As if race, class, politics, and ideology wasn’t enough, now we have mask wearers vs non maskers.
It isn’t you that I’m pointing my finger at.
It’s the notion that we are being pitted against each other over a completely non consequential (and almost ridiculously unbelievable) behavior guideline that judges ME far more harshly than the compliant.

I understand and don't disagree with your statement, I fully understand how this "Pandemic" is being used by those on with agendas on both sides.
Tommy, I'm a natural born skeptic, I tend to question everything, not just from the left or from the right, from all sides. Out of that I attempt to form some logical
path by which to conduct my own life, that's it.

I've had various trades working around my home on and off all summer, not once have I requested anybody to wear a mask, in fact I've advised them of the same.
I simply keep a reasonable distance, it's easy really and all us neighbors act likewise. I only wear a mask when there's a big sign requesting I do so. My wife and I were shopping at a Walmart this weekend, sign said mask, we wore masks. Not that I believe it's going to save me, but what it does do, at least I think it does, it remind us to be considerate in giving everybody a bit more personal space then pre-Covid. Otherwise, I do what I can to protect ourselves, mostly being patient, waiting outside of an aisle if it's crowded and stepping aside of people aren't willing to do likewise. The worst offenders I've found are the store employees.

But RDP has become so polarized you can't have a discussion without suffering some angry retribution, should you question anything one group in particular has posted.

Look at the anger in what Wizard 29 is slewing, simply because I had the gall not to fall into boot step on a couple of anti-mask posts, how dare I, muster the troops and light them torches boys, as obviously I'm a threat to the right wing flock.
He's trying to bait me into a discussion with him, ahhhh fuck no, life's to short to bother, we could write for days, it won't change how either of us will conduct our lives or our opinions.

Spoke with my Havasu neighbor yesterday, they live there basically full time. Her hubby's a couple of years my senior, great shape, plays baseball on a league and is extremely active and I thought in good health. Had some chest pains in July, heads over to the Havasu hospital and they bang out a triple by-pass to save his ass.
While recovering he catches COVID while in the hospital. Next thing, he's on a ventilator and some how survives that and the pneumonia, (We didn't discuss his treatment etc.). Then off to skilled nursing, finally got home yesterday, seriously fucked up, but amazingly still alive.

There are no guarantees, we can only do what WE can do and I'm just doing what I think I should.

You and I do not and I'm sure will not always agree, that's OK. 👍

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

While recovering he catches COVID while in the hospital. Next thing, he's on a ventilator and some how survives that and the pneumonia, (We didn't discuss his treatment etc.). Then off to skilled nursing, finally got home yesterday, seriously fucked up, but amazingly still alive.

But don't they all have masks on in the hospital?

Sorry I had to ask :)

I hope your neighbor recovers.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just for clarification i don't have a problem with anyone wearing a mask, i have made that clear many times before.

I don't have a problem with a business saying you have to wear a mask (people can choose not to patronize)

I don't have a problem with a business saying you can't wear a mask (people can choose not to patronize)

My problem lies with these dipshit governors mandating that every business has to have customers and staff masked whether they want it or not, and it's all based off political bullshit. They send their mask gestapo out squeeze businesses with several thousand dollar fines, and the worst part is, they don't issue on the spot fixing, they send the fines 2 weeks later in the mail, which goes to show just how stupid this all is.

One of my best friends is a restaurant owner, he got issued 10k in fines about 2 weeks apart, no warnings, no chance to address or fix at time of violation, one day he gets the mail and it's certified. He beat them both after going round and round with the moron bureaucrats. This is a sad window into the future of society under democrat rule.

They fuck this guy over for a mask violation, but let looters, rioters, and assaulters free.... 🤡🤡

If you are worried, you should wear a mask.
If you are worried, you should social distance.
If you are worried, you should stay home.

The rest of society that wants to work, wants to participate at their own risk should be free to do so at this point. We know this virus isn't even close to as bad as they initial claimed when they issued the draconian orders. We were told it was orders of magnitude worse than the flu, turns out it's in the same order of magnitude as a bad year of flu.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve noticed over the past couple weeks that a lot more people are ditching the mask after entering stores. Walmart in particular.
You have to wear it to get past the door lady, but Id say close to 1/4 of the people then pull it down or remove it.
A month ago that wasn’t happening.

I find it incredible that we are still jumping through this hoop.
My drive to Sac last month was a real eye opener in many ways.

I thought I was gonna get lynched a couple times for pumping gas without my mask on.

No one said anything, but they had daggers in their looks.

RCDave

Reaction score
What’s crazy about the masks folks is this. If you are wearing a mask and someone farts, you will smell it. The issue is, the fart is going through THREE masks. Underwear, pants and then finally the mask on the other person. Fart particulate is massively bigger than virus, and newsflash, the Silent but Deadly fart is not exactly sending the particulate out of the ass at supersonic speed like a sneeze or a yell. It’s insane that anyone would trust a little paper to do anything but wipe an ass, roll a joint or wipe up a kitchen spill.

At best, it’s a two mask scenario that the govt wants, not sure but I can even smell a bad one through corduroy pants, long John’s and a heavy coat. Think about that, seriously if people want to avoid the virus wear a virologist pressure suit or hey, just wank outside since its dispersed almost immediately with minimal viral load.

It’s not rocket science, but it is govt control.

Case and point:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’ve noticed over the past couple weeks that a lot more people are ditching the mask after entering stores. Walmart in particular.
You have to wear it to get past the door lady, but Id say close to 1/4 of the people then pull it down or remove it.

I thought I was gonna get lynched a couple times for pumping gas without my mask on.

Did you cough repeatedly while pumping gas?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score

T... sorry... but thats..😄

I gotta LOL when we can... because we are living in a F.U. situation...

PS, before Covid reared its ugly head... hospitals were dirty and sometimes a patient would get septus during their stay..

Taboma

Reaction score

How the fuck should I know what they're doing or not doing in the Havasu Hospital. Ten years ago my best buddy went in feeling some chest pains. After they ran all these tests they proclaimed he was fine, but put him in a room for observation, within an hour he was dead of heart failure.
Mask, no mask, somebody didn't wash their hands, somebody didn't properly sanitize ??
Yes, I realize you're just making a sarcastic point, hopefully you got some affirmation points for your effort. 👍 😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How the fuck should I know what they're doing or not doing in the Havasu Hospital. Ten years ago my best buddy went in feeling some chest pains. After they ran all these tests they proclaimed he was fine, but put him in a room for observation, within an hour he was dead of heart failure.
Mask, no mask, somebody didn't wash their hands, somebody didn't properly sanitize ??
Yes, I realize you're just making a sarcastic point, hopefully you got some affirmation points for your effort. 👍 😁

Take a breath, its ok!

I get your whole point with the masks, and obviously no one wants to get sick. But you illustrated the complete flaw with this entire "prevention" thought process. You cannot rely on everyone else's consideration to keep yourself healthy. That is precisely why you have washed your own hands your entire life. You are not relying on others to keep their hands clean and free of germs so you don't have to. You take a proactive approach and keep yourself or others proactively protected.

Nothing has changed. Every time you leave your house is an opportunity for your to catch a virus or illness. You protect yourself as best you can and that is it. Getting a delivery, or food delivered, even getting your mail has risks of getting sick. Everyone needs to weigh their risks and decide what is best for them. Assuming everyone is washing their hands and wearing a mask and will stay 6 feet apart at all times is like leaving for vacation and leaving your door to your house wide open. Maybe your stuff will be there when you get back, maybe it won't. But you don't trust the public at large enough attempt that experiment. The same is true for your health.

I wear a mask when a place asks, and don't when there is not a need to. A large swath of the population is done staying home due to a virus that is killing a few hundred people per day, (the vast majority of whom were unhealthy to begin with) in a nation of nearly 340 million people.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

Sacto has turned into DC junior. Bunch of govt sycophants, that are leftists to the core. And then the farmers and ranchers that are 180 degrees different, but are way fewer in numbers.

It’s emotional, not scientific. Plus, they have an election to win, and it’s a crisis they can’t waste.

🤦‍♂️

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
T... sorry... but thats..😄

I gotta LOL when we can... because we are living in a F.U. situation...

PS, before Covid reared its ugly head... hospitals were dirty and sometimes a patient would get septus during their stay..
Sometimes? Healthy people should ALWAYS stay away from hospitals unless they are medical personnel with advanced immunity, which they tend to acquire quickly.