WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a “TOAD” like YESTERDAY

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking for a small 5 seat off road capable car to tow behind the motorhome.. We just booked a trip to yellow stone and are leaving in days so I gotta find one quick.

Thinking like a Jeep Wrangler? 4 runner? Or even smaller? Don’t much care, but must run well have AC and Sears 5!!

whstcha got on the cheap? Preferably less than 10k.. will go 15 if it’s something amazeballs..

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
There was a red cherokee on here a few weeks ago, that would be great. For a wrangler you wont fit 5 unless you get a newer unlimited and the prices are stupid now.

sintax

Reaction score
I spotted an old Jeep Cherokee (gold color i think) on the Havasu Offer Up

beyond that, i think someone had a Suzuki Samurai (or maybe sidekick) for sale on here not all that long ago, that would make a good one, or that CJ-5 that was for sale on here, but i bet thats prob gone, it was a good buy

**edit**

ok the jeep CJ5, was actually a CJ7 and it was sold to @Blackmagic94

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There was a red cherokee on here a few weeks ago, that would be great. For a wrangler you wont fit 5 unless you get a newer unlimited and the prices are stupid now.

it sold or I’d own it already.. lol. That seemed Like a great deal

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Red Cherokee sold real fast too. ☹

2Driver

Reaction score
Plus you have to get the whole tow bar, wiring and brake shit done? JKs and TJs make great Toads.

?
7BB7A6BC-52E5-4F99-9C50-0A1B75F53A04.jpeg

outboard_256

Reaction score
You want something cheap in today's used market? Take "off-road" out of your equation and you can get something like a honda fit or crv.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You must be staying outside the park if you plan on trailering a toad because there’s no way you’d find a place to park the trailer once in the park.

they have a lot for the trailers I guess

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If your plan is to set it up for flat towing later, cross anything toyota off your list unfortunately.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
they have a lot for the trailers I guess

I’ve stayed inside the park twice and everything was pretty tight but both times we stayed at Fishing Bridge which is one of the few places with full hookups so it’s busy. I only drove through the other camping areas and they seemed tight.

You gotta remember everything within the park is old as hell. They built campgrounds with a 21’ trailer in mind and not to today’s common RV’s.

It’s not a bad idea to consider grabbing a rental car in Jackson.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Singleton

Reaction score
If your plan is to set it up for flat towing later, cross anything toyota off your list unfortunately.
Buddy tows his Tacoma flat for off-road ing, but then again it is 100% custom built

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’ve stayed inside the park twice and everything was pretty tight but both times we stayed at Fishing Bridge which is one of the few places with full hookups so it’s busy. I only drove through the other camping areas and they seemed tight.

You gotta remember everything within the park is old as hell. They built campgrounds with a 21’ trailer in mind and not to today’s common RV’s.

It’s not a bad idea to consider grabbing a rental car in Jackson.

we are staying in Idaho here

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
this is what i'd do,...but I have a toad already

Well my next plan was gonna rent / borrow your little Chevy thing for a couple of weeks and put it on my car hauler. Lol. I will leave ya my dually

81Sprint

Reaction score
Looking for a small 5 seat off road capable car to tow behind the motorhome.. We just booked a trip to yellow stone and are leaving in days so I gotta find one quick.

Thinking like a Jeep Wrangler? 4 runner? Or even smaller? Don’t much care, but must run well have AC and Sears 5!!

whstcha got on the cheap? Preferably less than 10k.. will go 15 if it’s something amazeballs..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Buddy tows his Tacoma flat for off-road ing, but then again it is 100% custom built

Does he have an aftermarket transfer case? I know of a few people that do it, but it's not recommended because apparently the TCase in toyotas get their lubrication from the input shaft spinning where jeeps get lubrication from the output shaft.

You can install a driveshaft disconnect, but it's a PITA.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Toad guide by year.

Another option is to get a pos FWD grocery getter and rent or buy a dolly. You’ll have better options storing it when you arrive at your destination over a full car hauler

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score
I spotted an old Jeep Cherokee (gold color i think) on the Havasu Offer Up

beyond that, i think someone had a Suzuki Samurai (or maybe sidekick) for sale on here not all that long ago, that would make a good one, or that CJ-5 that was for sale on here, but i bet thats prob gone, it was a good buy

**edit**

ok the jeep CJ5, was actually a CJ7 and it was sold to @Blackmagic94
I ended up buying that one and inmates have been blowing me up to sell it ever since! 😅 I Love it. Its a perfect TOWED!

FC56DD70-139D-4218-A505-38E563E18073.jpeg

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Wht happened to the white Cherokee an inmate had for sale on here.....

DLC

Reaction score
Take a Yellowstone in a day tour

And the chuck wagon tour

Lots of really fun stuff to do! We stayed outside the west gate and add an extra hour or so when traveling inside the park speeds are really slow and bison animals get on the road then it’s a traffic jam

Singleton

Reaction score
Does he have an aftermarket transfer case? I know of a few people that do it, but it's not recommended because apparently the TCase in toyotas get their lubrication from the input shaft spinning where jeeps get lubrication from the output shaft.

You can install a driveshaft disconnect, but it's a PITA.

yes. Entire driveline is aftermarket, engine is about the only thing stock @ 250k+ miles

Last edited:

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
You need to LS swap that Chris :) you won’t need another SXS!

My buddy has a samurai, his dune cruiser, it has a '68(I think) all aluminum 215ci Buick V8, bored and stroked to a 262ci. The thing is fun as fuk. But he has a conglomeration of badass parts, tranny transfer case, suspension, ect! But kept the weight way down for being a 450hp samurai.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
If you are planning to make it a flat tow rig, make sure it has locking hubs! Makes shit last longer! JMO

One2go

Reaction score
we are staying in Idaho here
Not trying to change your rv park plans but we just did this last summer and if your looking for a top 9-10 rv park next to west Yellowstone entrance...check out Grizzly Rv park in west Yellowstone. Was crazy nice and backs up to walk trails. 1 mile from entrance of park. All the stuff your kids will like right there.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My buddy has a samurai, his dune cruiser, it has a '68(I think) all aluminum 215ci Buick V8, bored and stroked to a 262ci. The thing is fun as fuk. But he has a conglomeration of badass parts, tranny transfer case, suspension, ect! But kept the weight way down for being a 450hp samurai.

That is key for one of those. A Honda K series 4 cylinder or J series V6 would be a bad ass swap in one of those as well.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Well my next plan was gonna rent / borrow your little Chevy thing for a couple of weeks and put it on my car hauler. Lol. I will leave ya my dually
My K5 blazer sitting in Havasu garage can’t tow behind but if your gonna throw something on trailer it would work depending on trailer size. Robinson semi went through it and haven’t driven it much since. No A/C though.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
That is key for one of those. A Honda K series 4 cylinder or J series V6 would be a bad ass swap in one of those as well.

Have a buddy also building one with a twin turbo WRX motor. It's been a few year project but should be done for next year. It's going to interesting when done!

Not a "buddy" but an "acquaintance" has one with a B2 rotary engine. Runs like a raped ape but just sits in his garage. Hell he built it close to 20yrs ago🤣 but has no interest in selling🤬

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Depending on what you get your gonna need a blue ox tow bar, the vehicle specific base plate and a wiring harness so your tail lights work. All that will run you $1500 ish plus labor if your not going to do the install. If you want to be legal you’ll need on board braking system for the toad but if it’s a jeep you won’t need it

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
If it’s needed ASAP and on a low budget, Why 4 wheel drive? Pretty much everywhere you’ll be going is paved roads and or smooth dirt roads. No snow no rains /mud
Shit put Stacy’s suv on the trailer and save Stacy 10k+ your welcome, lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If it’s needed ASAP and on a low budget, Why 4 wheel drive? Pretty much everywhere you’ll be going is paved roads and or smooth dirt roads. No snow no rains /mud
Shit put Stacy’s suv on the trailer and save Stacy 10k+ your welcome, lol

i didn’t say 4 WD?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
i didn’t say 4 WD?
Guess you didn’t, lol
You said “offroad capable” in that area most everything offroad can be done in a Honda Accord. There’s more then enough to see on accessible roads. Unless your stopping in Utah for some off-roading
Well shit load up the suv on trailer or it’s not wide enough for a fullsize

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Guess you didn’t, lol
You said “offroad capable” in that area most everything offroad can be done in a Honda Accord. There’s more then enough to see on accessible roads. Unless your stopping in Utah for some off-roading
Well shit load up the suv on trailer or it’s not wide enough for a fullsize

Axles aren’t heavy duty enough

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Can't do RZR up there?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Can't do RZR up there?

not sure.. I wouldn’t think they would allow a RZR in Yellowstone? Not sure I’d want to be in one either when a bear comes cruising by. Lol

badgas

Reaction score
Why would you say that?

Anything with a clutch or a manual transfer case can be flat towed. Toyota made plenty of both.

That is not always the case. I had a toyota pick up that was manual trans and manual transfer case. Looked into using as a toad and when researching with marlincrawler I found out that for every guy that flat tows those Toyota's with no issue there are another 3 with grenaded transfer cases.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That is not always the case. I had a toyota pick up that was manual trans and manual transfer case. Looked into using as a toad and when researching with marlincrawler I found out that for every guy that flat tows those Toyota's with no issue there are another 3 with grenaded transfer cases.

That's cause they didn't know what they were doing...

You would think with a manual trans, you just put it in neutral right? Wrong.

You have to put the trans in gear, and the keep the clutch pedal held to the floor.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do most anything. Even if you have the correct components.