WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a DirecTV guru

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
So, I want to get a new HD DVR for the lake. Currently I carry mine back and forth, and it's: a) getting old and b) I have a trip next weekend that the wife is not going on, so the disconnect the house plan won't work. I understand if I buy a box from another source getting it authorized can be a biotch, so I tried to go legit just now and "we are in the middle of a system update, so we cannot process any orders. It may be a few days..." WTF?

Here's what I need. A standalone HD DVR for DirecTV. Nothing else will work. We are at the Landing and cable is not gonna happen. Anybody have any good ideas? Is there a warehouse in SoCal that I can go get one? I know AT&T wishes they didn't buy DirecTV. I don't care about any of that. How do I fix my stupid little problem?

hboutlaw

Reaction score
You can look on SolidSignal (https://www.solidsignal.com/) and purchase a legit HDDVR from them and it will be able to be added to your account. I have 2 brand new HR44s from when I worked at DTV. They are in HB so you'd have to wait until I do a return trip. Good luck

Taboma

Reaction score
Sorry don't have a solution, but when I called Directv not long ago to ask about an equipment upgrade to Genie, I was told that due to COVID19 they weren't currently doing any upgrades as it requires a tech to come to the residence.
Otherwise our Havasu program is just like yours with the traveling HD DVR. 😁 Although I'm not sure we want to change that, as it has our pre-recorded programs we can watch while there, plus keep recording new ones while there --- although we can't get the HD San Diego spot beam, so any local channels get recorded in SD mode which still offers a quality signal strength.
If you bought a DVR I'm wondering if they'll just mail you an additional access card ??

Taboma

Reaction score
You can look on SolidSignal (https://www.solidsignal.com/) and purchase a legit HDDVR from them and it will be able to be added to your account. I have 2 brand new HR44s from when I worked at DTV. They are in HB so you'd have to wait until I do a return trip. Good luck

Since you worked at DTV perhaps you can answer a question. Currently our Havasu dish is setup for a HD DVR and works awesome. ( I can't tell you exactly what it is, a guy at Havasu who used to work for DTV did some moonlighting and installed it). I also have the same dish at home --- will both these dishes continue to work if I upgrade to Genie DVR ?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
The card thing is where they get shitty I think. I've done that before for a motorhome though, so may go that route. This BS "we're doing an update" tells me card or otherwise I'm not getting shit. I may call again, the difference between who is on the end of the phone is crazy. I'm worried AT&T is trying to dump the whole thing. Could get dicey.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I can go to HB. That's easy. I'm in Chino Hills Hmmmm.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
not sure on the timing but you can add another HDDVR from Directv to your home account and just take that unit to Havasu each time. Another possibility is the Directv app and watch shows on Ipad. The app also lets you watch your recorded material.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
Since you worked at DTV perhaps you can answer a question. Currently our Havasu dish is setup for a HD DVR and works awesome. ( I can't tell you exactly what it is, a guy at Havasu who used to work for DTV did some moonlighting and installed it). I also have the same dish at home --- will both these dishes continue to work if I upgrade to Genie DVR ?
Yes...most dish installs are all HD compliant as the SD boxes were discontinued. You're good

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
not sure on the timing but you can add another HDDVR from Directv to your home account and just take that unit to Havasu each time. Another possibility is the Directv app and watch shows on Ipad. The app also lets you watch your recorded material.
That's what I was trying to do and they were ZERO help! Grrrr. The App doesn't work as we have shit Internet at the Landing as well. Cellular only. Need an HD DVR box that's authorized. Solid Signal may be the answer.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Solid Signal wants $199 for the HR24. I think that's what I need? DirecTV shows that for $99, but I am sure there is a Lease as well as the additional Authorization? Is that where the price starts to equalize?

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes...most dish installs are all HD compliant as the SD boxes were discontinued. You're good

Thanks !!

Any idea how long the SD Spot beam will be available ? We lose San Diego HD local channels just before sunset, so any locals at night only come in on the SD spot beam. The spot beam charts I've seen put on right smack on the outer edge of the San Diego HD spot beam. I've read for several years of the demise of the SD spots.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I have 2 brand new HR44s from when I worked at DTV. They are in HB so you'd have to wait until I do a return trip. Good luck
Now I get it. Where are you now?

hboutlaw

Reaction score
I'm currently in Havasu...away from the chaos in CA. Although it's getting pretty crazy here also.

fmo24

Reaction score
Solid Signal wants $199 for the HR24. I think that's what I need? DirecTV shows that for $99, but I am sure there is a Lease as well as the additional Authorization? Is that where the price starts to equalize?
I believe the hr24 is standard definition as that is what we have in our motorhome

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I'm currently in Havasu...away from the chaos in CA. Although it's getting pretty crazy here also.
But to be clear, with SolidSignal or you I'd still need DirecTV for a card? Or can I get a card from SS?

hboutlaw

Reaction score
When you get a box from SS it will come with a card. Like I said, I have an HR44 new in the box and I think it has a card. If you can activate it just give me $50 and it's yours.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
But to be clear, with SolidSignal or you I'd still need DirecTV for a card? Or can I get a card from SS?
I just remembered, the HR44 is a Genie. So you probably need the HR24

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
When you get a box from SS it will come with a card. Like I said, I have an HR44 new in the box and I think it has a card. If you can activate it just give me $50 and it's yours.
I think the one I am carrying back and forth is an HR44. It is a Genie. It acts like a non-Genie when in Havasu with no internet. You're option would only work if I can get it by next Wednesday, so might be out. Thanks for the help.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The card thing is where they get shitty I think. I've done that before for a motorhome though, so may go that route. This BS "we're doing an update" tells me card or otherwise I'm not getting shit. I may call again, the difference between who is on the end of the phone is crazy. I'm worried AT&T is trying to dump the whole thing. Could get dicey.

ATT is waitng for DTV's satellites to fall out of the sky so they can switch to an Over The Top setup where its piped in via your home internet. Apparently ATT forgot that most DTV users in the sticks have no real internet... (Satellite via Hughes blows and cell service is not supported). So I foresee a mass migration of rural DTV customers to DISH who hasn't decided to F over its user base (yet).

lf2

Reaction score

I stream from the directv app out there and screen mirror it to the tv. Works fine for the little bit of tv i watch while out there. Also because my cell service is at&t i stream dtv for free

RCDave

Reaction score
ATT is waitng for DTV's satellites to fall out of the sky so they can switch to an Over The Top setup where its piped in via your home internet. Apparently ATT forgot that most DTV users in the sticks have no real internet... (Satellite via Hughes blows and cell service is not supported). So I foresee a mass migration of rural DTV customers to DISH who hasn't decided to F over its user base (yet).

Didnt ATT also acquire DISH network along with DirecTV?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Didnt ATT also acquire DISH network along with DirecTV?

Nope. DISH remains its own entity.

There was a rumor that ATT was going to divest itself of DTV and then that DTV was going to combine with Dish for a single SAT provider, but obviously there are integration issues with the infrastructure and product incompatibilities that make that unlikely. Plus who wants a SAT monopoly?

ATT is going full vampire on DTV and only once its useless will they likely give it up. They only bought it for their TV play and all the media rights DTV had negotiated (ie NFL Sunday Ticket, etc). Even if they divest its likely they (ATT) will keep all of DTV's media rights. That means the resulting DTV after ATT kicks it to the curb won't be worth much.

HBCraig

Reaction score
So, I want to get a new HD DVR for the lake. Currently I carry mine back and forth, and it's: a) getting old and b) I have a trip next weekend that the wife is not going on, so the disconnect the house plan won't work. I understand if I buy a box from another source getting it authorized can be a biotch, so I tried to go legit just now and "we are in the middle of a system update, so we cannot process any orders. It may be a few days..." WTF?

Here's what I need. A standalone HD DVR for DirecTV. Nothing else will work. We are at the Landing and cable is not gonna happen. Anybody have any good ideas? Is there a warehouse in SoCal that I can go get one? I know AT&T wishes they didn't buy DirecTV. I don't care about any of that. How do I fix my stupid little problem?
Bullshit. Directv was just at my house on Friday installing two new boxes. That outfit is a joke.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Bullshit. Directv was just at my house on Friday installing two new boxes. That outfit is a joke.
They are sooooo bad. I tried again, and got the same runaround. Couldn't even log into their site. I'm just asking to buy something....

Reaper1

Reaction score
I have an HD DVR box at my place in Needles with card that you're welcome too. I ditched Direct a while ago for YouTube TV.
AT&T sucks balls!

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This could work^^^ I'll come back to you if the timing can work. When you there next?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
So I really want to thank @Reaper1 for coming through, I picked up the box on Saturday night. However... DirecTV said they won't authorize it, and they also woudln't send me a new box without a technician to install it. No exceptions!! Eff them; they are horrible! I ordered from Solid Signal this AM. Should be good to go. Thanks for everyone's help.