WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a good set of large snap ring pliers.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I need a good set of Snap ring pliers for large snap rings. We are talking around 3 inch diameter snap rings for doing wheel bearings etc. My old set failed in use and sent a large snap ring into orbit at the speed of light, never to be found.

Im not a pro mechanic here, they will be used a couple times a year, so I’m not trying to spend $100+. My old ones were $30 (Lisile Heavy Duty) and have worked great for 15 years.. they just don’t work well on the larger snap rings any longer.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
ADCBFED9-513B-423A-B12B-B99F043C5677.jpeg

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I use the "OTC" brand. They're strong and never had a problem with them. It's what the OMC training school suggested when I was there in '83. I bought a pair and have used and abused them since then and they still do the job very well. You might try and get a pair off ebay. I had two pair, I acquired the second pair from buying a guy out, but sold them on ebay a couple years back. You're right when those damn things take off they're gone forever!!! :D

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not to say those are bad, but I've always hated that justification for saying a brand is good. That's like saying I bought a Chevette because it's made by GM and they make the Cadillac.

Yes, however knipex is known for great quality, half my snap ring tools are knipex half are snap on, same with a lot of my wire cutters and other pliers. As well Knipex has the same warranty just have to ship to and from, only ones I’ve ever broke were my front jaws and that was 100% my fault and they still replaced no questions asked.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The Knipex tools are far superior to most. I have a couple of specialty ones that are awesome for big clips like bearings etc.

I'll post em up tomorrow when I get in the shop.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I bought from harbor freight I’ll use them twice in life already used 1 time in the bottom drawer if we use daily I buy the best

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I've found over the years those interchangeable tangs/teeth, whatever you wanna call them, don't quite cut the mustard on a fairly good size snap-ring but then again I was trying to make a living with them.