WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a new BBQ

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Looking for a new propane grill since my trusty 10 year old Brinkmann is officially down for the count.

The cheap ass in me is saying, just go to Lowes, pick up a $350 Char Broil and call it a day.

I really want this one to last another 10 years, so thinking of maybe stepping up to something a bit more high end.

Let's say I have $1000 to spend. Any suggestions?? I really like Bull BBQ, but I know there are other good brands out there too.

What say ye???

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Anything @ $350 and under isn’t going to last 10yrs. Thinking a about it, doesn’t matter what you buy, it isn’t going to last 10 yrs. Even the $$$$ ones will need a rebuild.

HitIt

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Anything @ $350 and under isn’t going to last 10yrs. Thinking a about it, doesn’t matter what you buy, it isn’t going to last 10 yrs. Even the $$$$ ones will need a rebuild.

Someone will come in and say their 20 year old Weber grill is mint and like new.

If you want it to last 10 years, buy 2 $350 grills and take the $300 you saved and spend it on whatever you want.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
At home Ive had a vermont castings since like 2004 and is still in great condition. That weber genesis looks good.

I have a cheap next grill or charbroil at the river and its just ok. 2 weeks in a wheel fell off. Its hard to set the heat just right on it and with all the burners on low its at like 400 degrees. Ill be replacing this think within a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I was in need if a new gas grill a few months back.. Grabbed a cheap charbroil from Lowes.. Used it a few times and took it right back to lowes.. Damn thing cooked so uneven.. Realized i really didnt need a gas grill. . between the blackstone and GMG can pretty much do it all.

hawgty55

Reaction score
I picked up a used Genesis. It works as intended but so did my other one. LOL

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Got the 2 of the Bull Angus 30..
One Havasu one at other house.

Great grills cook good and even. real easy to clean and with warranty...

DLC

Reaction score
Some of the bbq speciality stores ( bbq smoker stores) will have sales before turkey, a lot of people smoke their turkeys.

I got mine at sears outlet was normally $1800 got it for $800 and change. But it is hit or miss type of deal at the outlet.

Maybe one of those Costco overstock places might have a deal...

Just make sure you get a minimum of 3 burners and they are SS burners

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have a Vermont Castings that it about 15 years old. I had to finally replace the burners and heat shields about 3 years ago. I should have replaced the ignitors also. The rest of the grill is in great shape. For getting used several times a week, year around, I cannot complain.

The one thing it really needs is a good polishing.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I needed a new grill once and my father in law bought me a $99 Charbroil at Home Depot to use while I decided if I wanted to do a built in or whatever. I used that grill for 15 years. At some point I changed the grates out to cast iron and that’s all I ever did to it.

If you want something good quality that will last and isnt insanely expensive, go Weber Genesis.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Weber Genesis. If you dont want to spend the $600-$900 that they cost new, check craigslist they pop up often, sometimes for $100

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Weber Genesis. If you dont want to spend the $600-$900 that they cost new, check craigslist they pop up often, sometimes for $100
Wife is buying it for me, so I am definitely going new....lol.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wife is buying it for me, so I am definitely going new....lol.

tenor.gif

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
the Home Depot in Havasu had some Weber Genesis on sale for 499 which I have never seen before. only 3 burner which may not be enough for your family. I found a new in the box 4 burner for $600 on craigslist which I just got, now that I have it it is worth it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Purchased my Weber Genesis when we moved into the current house.

Still going strong on year 10.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So after much thought I have decided to not ball out on this purchase and keep it under $500

Have narrowed it down to these 2 grills and I am searching Lowe's because I get 5% off when I use my card.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spir...mel-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/3881659

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000107411

Kind of leaning toward the Char Broil Tru Infrared. Seems like a really good deal and solid grill, however when I did look at both side by side, you could definitely feel the quality difference of the Weber.

DWC

Reaction score
So after much thought I have decided to not ball out on this purchase and keep it under $500

Have narrowed it down to these 2 grills and I am searching Lowe's because I get 5% off when I use my card.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spir...mel-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/3881659

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000107411

Kind of leaning toward the Char Broil Tru Infrared. Seems like a really good deal and solid grill, however when I did look at both side by side, you could definitely feel the quality difference of the Weber.

Spend the extra cash and buy the Weber. You won’t regret it. Quality of the bbq and cooking. Track down last year’s models for some savings. What Weber were you looking at?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Spend the extra cash and buy the Weber. You won’t regret it. Quality of the bbq and cooking. Track down last year’s models for some savings. What Weber were you looking at?
It's the Spirit, 3 burner.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Rarely brought up is intentions.
If you cook for 3 like I do, one can get away with almost any grill. Where the higher end grills come in is when you have to start cooking for 5 or more adults who expect things as they should be in a timely fashion. Often, preheating a cheaper grill with a custom grate like I made for myself results in better results. I would rather have a decent smoker and a cheap grill than just an expensive grill. But that's me, I'm snobby about the cuts/grade of meat for grilling and the process.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I got this “Brinkman” BBQ at Loews or Home Depot 6 years ago for $199. I haven’t used it for about a month, its at my moms who does not BBQ but I do when I’m there. It needs to be cleaned but it still works great.

I take it apart and clean it and i looks almost new, and works fine. I can’t see spending $1500 or $2000 for a BBQ unless its a smoker and unless I have a showplace outdoor kitchen, which I don’t have now.

I had a Weber when I was in Dana Point and it was great, and back then Ace Hardware would deliver and assemble it for you...I love that. I hate putting together stuff like that, I was a factory worker 40 years ago, not going back.

I know it looks nasty, but when I clean it will be fine.

05E4BBA8-03FF-45B5-9C21-B5C06AF946EF.jpeg
F87F01A8-6EE1-47A3-B39D-1BA9082618E6.jpeg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I got this “Brinkman” BBQ at Loews or Home Depot 6 years ago for $199. I haven’t used it for about a month, its at my moms who does not BBQ but I do when I’m there. It needs to be cleaned but it still works great.

I take it apart and clean it and i looks almost new, and works fine. I can’t see spending $1500 or $2000 for a BBQ unless its a smoker and unless I have a showplace outdoor kitchen, which I don’t have now.

I had a Weber when I was in Dana Point and it was great, and back then Ace Hardware would deliver and assemble it for you...I love that. I hate putting together stuff like that, I was a factory worker 40 years ago, not going back.

I know it looks nasty, but when I clean it will be fine.

View attachment 815522 View attachment 815523
Brinkman is the one I am replacing. Got it for $178 on a Black Friday deal in 2009.

Been a great grill and I thought I could replace parts and keep it going, but not going to work.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Rarely brought up is intentions.
If you cook for 3 like I do, one can get away with almost any grill. Where the higher end grills come in is when you have to start cooking for 5 or more adults who expect things as they should be in a timely fashion. Often, preheating a cheaper grill with a custom grate like I made for myself results in better results. I would rather have a decent smoker and a cheap grill than just an expensive grill. But that's me, I'm snobby about the cuts/grade of meat for grilling and the process.
We have a GMG pellet grill too

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Installed this one 4 years ago and still flawless. My previous Weber was 10 years old when I gave it to my nephew and would still light the burners on the first push of the ignitor.

15733555851627750804644496111710.jpg

20191109_164524.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

Are you coming to Havasu soon? I will be near home Depot soon and they had some Weber geniuses for 499 last time I was there. 3 burner

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Are you coming to Havasu soon? I will be near home Depot soon and they had some Weber geniuses for 499 last time I was there. 3 burner
I can get out there anytime. If they have those for that price, I can PayPal you money right now. 3 burner is perfect.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I can get out there anytime. If they have those for that price, I can PayPal you money right now. 3 burner is perfect.

I will check in the next couple days

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I will check in the next couple days
Just shopped there online and the 3 burner for $499 is the Spirit. The Genisis is $749.

I will call them tomorrow to see if they have stuff that isn't on the website.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Just shopped there online and the 3 burner for $499 is the Spirit. The Genisis is $749.

I will call them tomorrow to see if they have stuff that isn't on the website.

Just wait a couple weeks for Black Friday deals

RodnJen

Reaction score
Looking for a new propane grill since my trusty 10 year old Brinkmann is officially down for the count.

The cheap ass in me is saying, just go to Lowes, pick up a $350 Char Broil and call it a day.

I really want this one to last another 10 years, so thinking of maybe stepping up to something a bit more high end.

Let's say I have $1000 to spend. Any suggestions?? I really like Bull BBQ, but I know there are other good brands out there too.

What say ye???

Weber Genesis

Had mine 14+ years, use it weekly, still going strong.

lantz

Reaction score
My Genesis is still going strong after 12 years. With a quick wipe down, the outside looks as nice as it did on day one. It is outside and not covered. The only issue I have had with it is I left the ignitor button loose after pulling the corroded battery and it got knocked off into the grass. I didn't notice right away. The dogs did and chewed it. I probably should get another, but it lights quick with a match or butane lighter. There are flame ups because I don't clean it as often as I should. I am a horrible BBQ owner, and the weber starts and works every time. Everything is original.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Ok, definitely going Weber. Too much negative shit online about the Char Broil.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Boughts me a Charbroil....no complaints here. I usually replace my propane grills every few years or so anyways.