WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a new starter

Croz

Reaction score
Since I rebuilt the motor to a 502 my starter has struggled, it finally went out back in October. I attempted to remove the starter(not knowing what I was doing) and only got half of it off. Which starter will be best for a 502? I don’t wanna buy the wrong one and waste a drive out there. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• FAB07C01-D911-45BA-848B-05CE201F1309.jpeg
    FAB07C01-D911-45BA-848B-05CE201F1309.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 48

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Big block Chevy engines normally have two 3/8" starter bolts that come up from the bottom. It's possible yours just needs cleaned up and new starter brushes.

Some of the smaller "mini" starters have been popular for years, is your engine high compression? Depending on where "out there" is, likely you can find something at a local parts store. If it's under an engine hatch, probably should stick with a marine rated starter since they are supposed to help prevent explosion of vapors.

mattyc

Reaction score

I used this msd on a couple years back. Nice features, strong, cranks fast, I was happy with it. It can be indexed for better fitment if you're short on space. As long as the mount on the block isnt staggered bolts, not sure off the top of my head what the 502 had.

Croz

Reaction score
Big block Chevy engines normally have two 3/8" starter bolts that come up from the bottom. It's possible yours just needs cleaned up and new starter brushes.

Some of the smaller "mini" starters have been popular for years, is your engine high compression? Depending on where "out there" is, likely you can find something at a local parts store. If it's under an engine hatch, probably should stick with a marine rated starter since they are supposed to help prevent explosion of vapors.

Out there is Parker, I’m in rancho, so I didn’t wanna order a starter only to find out it’s the wrong one/size etc. I dk if it can be fixed or not, it is a high compression motor, it’s got about 550hp and since the rebuild the starter always struggled and would make an ugly grinding or slipping sound in between turning the motor over. Then, that was the only sound it was making when engaged and wouldn’t turn the motor at all.

Croz

Reaction score

Do BBC engines have a standard sized starter? I just don’t know what to buy, prices range from $100-$600. It’s under hatch, I know I need marine. But am concerned of buying the wrong shit

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Do BBC engines have a standard sized starter? I just don’t know what to buy, prices range from $100-$600. It’s under hatch, I know I need marine. But am concerned of buying the wrong shit
Yes, for the most part they are interchangeable. There are two different flywheel sizes, but an outdrive boat will almost certainly have a flywheel with 168 teeth. I guess the big thing is you didn't remove the end housing of the starter, so can't tell if it has the two bolts inline, or the "diagonal" pattern.

Parker Auto Parts guys are pretty knowledgeable and keep a lot of marine stuff.

Croz

Reaction score
Perfect thanks! Got the boat home to take care of it

baja-chris

Reaction score
Big high compression engines are hard on starters. I used to have to replace the stock one every race in desert racing until it switched to a Meziere which has lasted years now. But I don't think its marine rated so best for open engine compartments.