WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need advice (boating content - Sorry)

Englewood

Reaction score
We just bought a house in Havasu (Thanks Mrs. RDP).

I've had Magic Deck, Ultra Shadow, Ultra Deck, Etc. I bought a Nautique g23 a few months back but it got totaled during transport so I am now boatless.

I can't decide what the best options are and need some advice/guidance. I have an 8yr old girl and a 10yr old boy. They like to tube and would like to wakeboard.

1. Buy a Howard/Eliminator/Etc. Deck (Kids can do tubing/wakeboarding w someone else.)
2. Buy a Wake Boat (I won't get a semi every time it starts as I do with #1)
3. Buy a twin outboard pontoon (Never owned outboards or a pontoon before)

Daughter wants option 2, Son wants option 1, Wife doesn't care and will go along with whatever but would choose #3.

HELP! Anyone been in this predicament before?

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Number 1.

Your kids aren't going for the olympics in wakeboarding so why does it matter what they wakeboard behind? The deck boat will work, and it will be so much nicer for all the other aspects of Havasu once you're done with the kids on the rope.

Who listens to their kids anyway?

#3 - not as enjoyable on Havasu especially up by LHC with a good wind. Deck boat will be better in the rough and the wind.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Buy 1 and 2 . If i had your money i would buy all 3. Houses are selling like hot cakes money should be flowing in.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
#3, Go drive a toon especially with twin outboards you'll be amazed
Excellent for skiing. They're literally on plane from the start and they turn on a dime without any body roll.
More room to move around and full bimini great to keep the sun out
Beach it and no worry about scratching the gel coat
As much as I love the roar of an IO the outboard is so nice and quiet and EZ to work on

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Number 1.

Your kids aren't going for the olympics in wakeboarding so why does it matter what they wakeboard behind? The deck boat will work, and it will be so much nicer for all the other aspects of Havasu once you're done with the kids on the rope.

Who listens to their kids anyway?

#3 - not as enjoyable on Havasu especially up by LHC with a good wind. Deck boat will be better in the rough and the wind.
x2

My brothers, cousins, and myself all learned how to wakeboard behind my uncle's Lavey Seabring Outboard. Buy a deck that is set-up to be able to tow slow (sponson tabs would be my suggestion) and if they start really getting into boarding and are actually good and need the bigger wake, then look at getting the rollbar boat.

Reactions: DWC

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I bought a wakeboard boat since I have a 8 & 11 year old. Turns out they just weren’t that into wakeboarding or tubing and I hated driving a slow ass boat that rode like shit so I sold it. The other problem we had was taking friends to the lake. They want to do water sports all day so That means I end up driving around in circles ALL DAM DAY. I got sick of it and bought a 28 Howard with a 525.

Englewood

Reaction score
If anyone would be willing to take me for a cruise on a twin toon I'd happily pay for gas and lunch!

fishing fool

Reaction score

You will be able to pull kids, find a nice cove and bbq, still able to do 40+ mph, have enough room to take kids friends.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
#3, Go drive a toon especially with twin outboards you'll be amazed
Excellent for skiing. They're literally on plane from the start and they turn on a dime without any body roll.
More room to move around and full bimini great to keep the sun out
Beach it and no worry about scratching the gel coat
As much as I love the roar of an IO the outboard is so nice and quiet and EZ to work on

Do you have any brand/model recommendations for twin outboard tri-toons? I am familiar with Manitou and their dual outboard offering but what are the other options out there? How do they rank on build quality, value, cost?

AEA

Reaction score

I've had Magic Deck, Ultra Shadow, Ultra Deck, Etc. I bought a Nautique g23 a few months back but it got totaled during transport so I am now boatless.

I can't decide what the best options are and need some advice/guidance. I have an 8yr old girl and a 10yr old boy. They like to tube and would like to wakeboard.

1. Buy a Howard/Eliminator/Etc. Deck (Kids can do tubing/wakeboarding w someone else.)

Daughter wants option 2, Son wants option 1, Wife doesn't care and will go along with whatever but would choose #3.

How about a Howard 255, those sound like a versatile option.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Do you have any brand/model recommendations for twin outboard tri-toons? I am familiar with Manitou and their dual outboard offering but what are the other options out there? How do they rank on build quality, value, cost?
Been on our friend's Trifecta with twin 350's. The thing is a rocket and he's had to 72 mph. Jack plates on it too.
I hit 61 mph first time driving it and didn't really mess with the trim or plates.
They have the composite decks which are lighter but I'm still partial to Avalon and they use a wood deck.
Avalon also uses 27" tubes on anything 300 hp and above which sacrifices a little speed for a better ride.
Trifecta uses 25" tubes
We're on our 2nd Avalon and I can't say if either is much better as far as build quality.
They both do a great job and I think it's a matter of more bells and whistles and finding a floor plan you like,
Avalon has a 10 year bow to stern structural warranty

Babyback

Reaction score
I would go with option 2 and then option 1 in 10 years or so....You’re son and daughter will thank you for it! The best option is what will make you and your wife happy! ;)

We had the same debate in our family between a deck boat (Howard, Conquest) and a Mastercraft. The option of a pontoon was even thrown around. Our kids are 8 (boy) and 5 (girl).

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Buy the Deck boat and then get a medium duty Pontoon for the days when you just want to bang around and not have all the hastles of cleaning up at the end of the day.

This was our compromise between a 36 Speedster and a big fancy pontoon... I go the boat I needed and she got her easy on / easy off boat.

Tank

Reaction score
Buy this and you have everything on the list for less money: Open walk around layout, lots of room for party cruises and friends, can pull a tuber and wakboarder, has cuddy to get out of the heat, still gets up and moves out.

item_78621_190.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Buy this and you have everything on the list for less money: Open walk around layout, lots of room for party cruises and friends, can pull a tuber and wakboarder, has cuddy to get out of the heat, still gets up and moves out.

View attachment 918804

You just need a bitchin carbon fiber 8 foot ladder with OSHA approved tethers to get on and off the boat when you beach it, and and billet ladder rack to hold said ladder. And the family will be huddled around you at all times to get out of the sun if they are not in the cabin.

But it is bad ass.

Tank

Reaction score
You just need a bitchin carbon fiber 8 foot ladder with OSHA approved tethers to get on and off the boat when you beach it, and and billet ladder rack to hold said ladder. And the family will be huddled around you at all times to get out of the sun if they are not in the cabin.

But it is bad ass.
LOL, I think we've discussed something similar to this on another thread before. I've dealt with this issues with all the boats I've owned ever since I've boated so this issue doesn't even enter my mind when considering a boat. If I want to get onto the beach from the boat I either swim off the swim step or walk down the bow and jump off and then jump back on (and leave a towel for sand). I guess if I was used to a deck boat or boat with less freeboard I'd dread it too. But it's not that difficult to pull yourself up on the bow or give the girls a boost up.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I don't think you can have more fun then a surf boat if you got kids, problem is everyone hates you, you get beat up some if its rough( no more than a 21ft boat) and takes you a day to get anywhere. But if you are just about finding a nice little area to do water sports, not hurt any ones dock which is hard to do on havasu and you don't mind a little bumpy ride, surf boat all the way. plus you can stack quite a few people on them. biggest problem with a surf/wake boat is you will be driving all day long.

Mike K

Reaction score
make it about the kids ... you have about 10 to 12 years with them hanging with you ... especially if you have a cool wakeboard boat for them to show off to their friends ... u will be the cool dad ... all their friends will want to go ... they can seat up to 18 peeps ... u really won’t be throwing a lot of dough at accessories like u would with a go fast , deck or fast pontoon ... yeah you’ll be going 45 max ... but they are made for pulling not speed ... later u can give that wakeboard boat to your oldest and then u can go and buy a 28 Nordic from Thane with a 565 ... everyone is a winner. Your kids will forever thank u ... and they will always want to hang with you .

DWC

Reaction score
I bought a wakeboard boat since I have a 8 & 11 year old. Turns out they just weren’t that into wakeboarding or tubing and I hated driving a slow ass boat that rode like shit so I sold it. The other problem we had was taking friends to the lake. They want to do water sports all day so That means I end up driving around in circles ALL DAM DAY. I got sick of it and bought a 28 Howard with a 525.
This is no joke. You can’t have the only wakeboard boat in the group. You become the designated tow guy. I almost feel bad for my buddy lurker Jim! If he would just sell the damn thing to me it would be easier 😀

DWC

Reaction score
x2

Buy a deck that is set-up to be able to tow slow (sponson tabs would be my suggestion) and if they start really getting into boarding and are actually good and need the bigger wake, then look at getting the rollbar boat.
X3. Buy a deck with moderate power and a little hardware off the back. Kids will enjoy tow sports off the back just as much. You can add more power later when you’re not going to put on a ton of hours doing S turns across the lake.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Nope, but I'll offer this...

We used to single ski all day in Havasu behind my buddies 18ft Raysoncraft...

Since you now have a house there, you'll probably go nowhere near the water on the weekends anymore, so living there, I wouldn't be too worried about chop. ;)

Buy what you want. Teach your kids to single ski and learn how to shred. I forsee lots of glass in your future...

Tank

Reaction score
I thought of this thread this weekend. I'm on a text message thread with buddies that live in Missouri, Tennesse, Florida and New Jersey (all big Vee guys). We were discussing the Trump parades and looking at the video Dave put out of the parade on Saturday and they were commenting how many open bow / deck boats there were and how you don't see ANYTHING like that very far east of Havasu (maybe a little bit in Texas but thats it). Never really thought about it but the deck boat / open bow cat scene if very much a havasu thing. Kinda weird since Havasu isn't the only area in the country you beach your boat. Just an interesting observation.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

View attachment 918804

not sure you can tow with the tower on these..

Shade is also something that needs to be addressed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I am in this same predicament and am having a hard time deciding what to do..

Tank

Reaction score
not sure you can tow with the tower on these..

Shade is also something that needs to be addressed.
You install a tow pole off the transom between the motors. Or use one of the Y style ropes with a float. We use one on the cigarette.

19-220CC-6404-1100x600.jpg
91JkiWNIS4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

As far as shade, you can either install a basic canopy to add further shade from the T-Top or there's a bunch of aftermarket trick set ups to choose from.

BSKWorldcat-01.png
EdgeWater-318cc-1.jpg
sureShade_dualShades_med.jpg
SureShade-Print-36b.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Is there a reason you don’t see just a really oversized hard top?

Like eliminator did with their deck boat.

Keep the frame relatively the same size but have the top extend back to the back seat. You could install stringers in the top to make it structurally sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichL

Reaction score
I thought of this thread this weekend. I'm on a text message thread with buddies that live in Missouri, Tennesse, Florida and New Jersey (all big Vee guys). We were discussing the Trump parades and looking at the video Dave put out of the parade on Saturday and they were commenting how many open bow / deck boats there were and how you don't see ANYTHING like that very far east of Havasu (maybe a little bit in Texas but thats it). Never really thought about it but the deck boat / open bow cat scene if very much a havasu thing. Kinda weird since Havasu isn't the only area in the country you beach your boat. Just an interesting observation.
Growing up on Long Island there was no such thing as an open bow boat that wasn't a Boston Whaler or all out fishing boat with large scuppers. Here in Ohio other than the occasional CC most of the bow rider style are fairly small in size. Having shipped water more than once in my lifetime the open bow causes me concern.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

I've been there to one degree or another. I would avoid the pontoon at all costs. I hate them, after having owned one. If you like being little more than a a chauffeur for everyone else, because there is not one, based on the helm location, that will afford you the opportunity to be part of anything then buy the pontoon.

The ski boat is exactly that. It's going to be a narrow scope unit and it's not going handle rough water very well, nor will it cruise for any distances. It will have the room for the water toys and excellent access to the water. I recommend spending as little as possible on a ski boat. It's going to get banged up from use and it's better to let the first owner have that indigestion.

The sport/deck boats have more utility for a family and will ski fairly well. But this is not going to have a "tournament quality" wake. It's going to be proportionate to the weight. But unless your kids are aiming for short-line course skiing the the ski boat it not a good investment. The bigger "wake" boats are nice and roomy but not a cruiser and the range can be fairly limited due to being propped for acceleration.

I've owned outboards and I really like them. The are much easier to maintain than any automotive engine adapted for marine use. With 450hp units available you can certainly power any boat to any speed and save the weight of the automotive engine. I am partial to the Evinrude 2-stroke, because of the weight reduction. The Mercs are great engines as are the Honda and Suzuki but they are four strokes and much heavier.

sirbob

Reaction score
Here is a 27 Avalon pulling a bare foot skier
F1C70FD1-6F9A-4299-AF42-CA7E62687135.jpeg

This is the new Avalon WakeToon for pulling or putting out a wake for surfing.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The Howard 255VTX is the only deck boat with a bottom designed for water sports. It is designed to be a tow boat, but will still go 70-80mph.. It also looks a lot better than the other options..

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
You install a tow pole off the transom between the motors. Or use one of the Y style ropes with a float. We use one on the cigarette.

View attachment 920518 View attachment 920519 View attachment 920520

As far as shade, you can either install a basic canopy to add further shade from the T-Top or there's a bunch of aftermarket trick set ups to choose from.

View attachment 920521 View attachment 920522 View attachment 920523 View attachment 920524
Did you just say you tow behind a 38' Cig?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The howard vtx is damn impressive. I would also look at the advantage x flight. I honestly think these are gonna do everything you want well.

The wake surf pontoons are taking the two worst designs in water dynamics and combining them...

I'm all in on the cc deal and that concept that tank posted is priced damn well. Throw some bags in it and I bet you could surf if not you sure as hell could wake board.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
My wife and I were in the same situation. As much as we love the seating, a wake boat was a no-go. Not fast enough. We really, really wanted the Howard 255. But, it was not in our budget. You can tube and wake board very nicely behind most 21-25 foot V hulls.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Good choice its what you had coming before so no reason to second guess yourself. I had my cousins kids out on my GS22 a couple weeks ago and they tubed and surfed and were grinning ear and their dad texted me a couple days later saying how much fun they had and wanted to come back