WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Advice On Boat Price

Mikes56

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I’ll be going to Havasu for my annual trip. I have a 2008 Conquest Topcat 1, with a 525, Bravo XR drive, full hydraulic steering, with 150ish hours on it. It’s in very good condition, with a triple axle trailer. My buddy that lives there most of the year wants to buy it, but I’m not sure what it’s worth. My thought is $120,000, am I close?

If we can make a deal, I’ll just leave it there with him.
97C92908-FDD6-4AB2-9682-1CE6CFF2F921.jpeg
A47A7A99-5A03-4040-92E8-8B1B545F60E4.jpeg
C18D18B6-038B-4DDB-9D38-35B126BA87F9.jpeg
F9B21E80-C3FB-4D70-9DF4-64C4C724AB9C.jpeg
E38899CB-52FE-4013-9E48-0854A6F673BB.jpeg
B97EE709-1248-431D-BCF1-4CD87E2A3D9F.jpeg
091D1F62-70CA-4B1B-B606-E7410909A80D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

sirbob

Reaction score
I like your thinking but that seems a little strong to me.

Very nice boat that I’d love to see sell for 100+ … but maybe not quite 120?

IMHO.

That said - I really haven’t followed the recent comps on 2Xxx deckboats

Javajoe

Reaction score
95-115k. Way easier to sell to someone you know versus posting an add or using a broker. No time wasted to water test, show, meet at the bank etc.

Broker will take 7-10 percent.
I concur

DWC

Reaction score
Agree with Runs2rch although on the plus side of $100k and avoid broker fees if possible. A few months ago I would have said more but it seems there are more price drops on str8up than sold.
PS. Super clean boat with a great power package. What are you going with next?

zhandfull

Reaction score
What did a boat like this sell for new? Don’t follow boat prices much but still hard to wrap my head around 14 year old boats selling for 120k.

With that said. Clean boat with just barely over 10 hours a year on it assuming it’s an original engine.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What did a boat like this sell for new? Don’t follow boat prices much but still hard to wrap my head around 14 year old boats selling for 120k.

With that said. Clean boat with just barely over 10 hours a year on it assuming it’s an original engine.
Well a new one today would be well north of $200k.. that’s what’s holding prices up.

I think you are in the ballpark Mike. A broker would be shooting for around your price.

Will be fun to catch up in a couple weeks, and I will take those ramps from you as well.

Reactions: DWC

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Well a new one today would be well north of $200k.. that’s what’s holding prices up.

I think you are in the ballpark Mike. A broker would be shooting for around your price.

Will be fun to catch up in a couple weeks, and I will take those ramps from you as well.
The old a new one would cost X amount. Give it a bit. Builders will be putting boats out just to keep the guys working. Used boats are sitting, reductions are happening. Everyone trying to cash out at top dollar missed the boat. Pun intended haha

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The old a new one would cost X amount. Give it a bit. Builders will be putting boats out just to keep the guys working. Used boats are sitting, reductions are happening. Everyone trying to cash out at top dollar missed the boat. Pun intended haha

I think they will keep prices high and build fewer boats. They already have made that a winning strategy since 2013 or so. I dont see a new Howard Deckboat costing $150k again… do you?

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
95-115k. Way easier to sell to someone you know versus posting an add or using a broker. No time wasted to water test, show, meet at the bank etc.

Broker will take 7-10 percent.
This is what I would think, but admittedly I don't know the current market that well. It seems like there is a reasonable chance that boat prices are coming down, so I would keep that in mind while making a deal with a friend. I would probably try for the low end of current market price range if selling to a friend in this market, so maybe $95-100k? Ultimately it's whatever you and your friend are happy with.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I think they will keep prices high and build fewer boats. They already have made that a winning strategy since 2013 or so. I dont see a new Howard Deckboat costing $150k again… do you?
When demand dries up we will see. Normal boaters are being priced out. More and more are quitting the hobby altogether.

Mikes56

Reaction score

Hi Ashley,

I’ve still got them for you. Call or text me on the 12th or 13th so I don’t forget to bring them with us. My life is stupid busy right now and I don’t want it to slip my mind.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Agree with Runs2rch although on the plus side of $100k and avoid broker fees if possible. A few months ago I would have said more but it seems there are more price drops on str8up than sold.
PS. Super clean boat with a great power package. What are you going with next?
Not sure what’s next. Might not boatless for a couple years, then a 28ft closed bow boat. Something we can use on the lakes and go to Catalina on. Friends lived and worked for LASD there for 2 years and we went to visit several times. Fell in love with the island, it’s way different when you’re hanging with residents for several days, compared to just visiting for a couple days.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I watch the conquest market pretty close. If it was a top cat 2 I think you’d be pretty close. I think you are more around 110k right now. Nice colors and low hours with a 525 helps a lot.
I originally wanted a Topcat 2, but couldn’t find one when I was ready to buy. I’m really glad I bought the Topcat 1. There’s so much more room when you’re just hanging out on shore or floating. Last year we had 12 adults on it, and had room for everyone. My favorite thing is to be surrounded by my good friends.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When demand dries up we will see. Normal boaters are being priced out. More and more are quitting the hobby altogether.

That’s kinda my point. These outfits are clearly happier finding 20-50 people of above average wealth per year to build boats for than finding 100 “normal boaters” It is a much better operating model to build a few dozen high end boats with better margins per year, and that demand won’t dry up.

And honestly that seems to be what everyone here wants.. fewer boaters on the water.

DWC

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the demographic that is quitting. All three of my kids are looking for their first boat. Two of them would have already bought if i didn’t give them shit for buying a boat before a house. Most of the neighbor kids are on the same page.

Singleton

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the demographic that is quitting. All three of my kids are looking for their first boat. Two of them would have already bought if i didn’t give them shit for buying a boat before a house. Most of the neighbor kids are on the same page.
But dad, boats get girls :)
Houses don’t have the same play in the bars

DWC

Reaction score
I’d have a tough time arguing that one. It’s more of a thing than ever with social media.. I’d still give them crap every chance i got though. 😬

Reactions: DLC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’d have a tough time arguing that one. It’s more of a thing than ever with social media.. I’d still give them crap every chance i got though. 😬

I have a boat they can purchase that is still friendly to the house budget 😁

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
opposite for me..... I did very well owning my own home, and even better when I had 2, of corse I did have a 67 correctcraft after the second home

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, my youngest bought his first home @ 20, moved a couple times and now has a 800k home that he only owes 100k.. he still doesn't own a boat but has a can am, 70k rv and triple axel trailer, and a yard full of cool cars and trucks..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of weighing in what others peoples boat are worth, but since you asked that’s 105 - 110 to me.. if I was selling it to a buddy 95-100 depending on the buddy..

If I was buying I’d offer you 80 in green cash.. and try to flip for 95, but would list for 105..

RD

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
can you find the link for that?
It is @Deano boat and it has been for sale for awhile. I think he may have even dropped the price under $100K.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Man boats held their value.

2008 tc1 with a 525. Sold new for 130-145 ish likely.

Crazy not magic crazy but still

BingerFang

Reaction score
It is @Deano boat and it has been for sale for awhile. I think he may have even dropped the price under $100K.

There it is! Thank you 👍🏻

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Good info on some pricing. My .02. If your serious about selling , I would stay flexible. I see a ton more boats on the market, and prices falling. Just something to think about.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I originally wanted a Topcat 2, but couldn’t find one when I was ready to buy. I’m really glad I bought the Topcat 1. There’s so much more room when you’re just hanging out on shore or floating. Last year we had 12 adults on it, and had room for everyone. My favorite thing is to be surrounded by my good friends.
If your friend doesn’t come thru, let me know. I’ve been looking for a party prowler but keep striking out. I really like the conquests and would be interested in one as nice as yours 👍

sczagurs

Reaction score
Check out coast motor group. They have a few right now.

Boat 405

Reaction score
The 525 will help the value, being a TC -1 will drag it down compared to a TC -2. $100-110k depending on condition.

Mikes56

Reaction score
If your friend doesn’t come thru, let me know. I’ve been looking for a party prowler but keep striking out. I really like the conquests and would be interested in one as nice as yours 👍
Okay I’ll let you know.

JayBreww

Reaction score
I (28) bought my boat before the house, cash deal (2015). Also bought my 28 foot toy hauler and SXS, cash deals(2016).
Now I have toys with no payments, and I bought my house 3 years ago. Left my parents house at 23 and rented for a couple years while saving for the house. Not saying it’s the perfect plan, but it was my plan and it worked out.

DWC

Reaction score
I (28) bought my boat before the house, cash deal (2015). Also bought my 28 foot toy hauler and SXS, cash deals(2016).
Now I have toys with no payments, and I bought my house 3 years ago. Left my parents house at 23 and rented for a couple years while saving for the house. Not saying it’s the perfect plan, but it was my plan and it worked out.
Your flush with that firefighter cash though. That doesn’t count. 😁. For every person that works out for there’s 9 it doesn’t. Maybe not quite 9 but there’s 60-70% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck before $7gas.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Your flush with that firefighter cash though. That doesn’t count. 😁. For every person that works out for there’s 9 it doesn’t. Maybe not quite 9 but there’s 60-70% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck before $7gas.
Fair enough. 👍🏻

SW_GLASS

Reaction score
Fair enough. 👍🏻
I also bought my first boat 3 years before my first house. but i was living at home and it was a time when you could buy a Howard 22 Offshore for around 20k. I would cringe trying to buy my first boat now with the prices these days.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I too also bought my first boat and rzr before my house. All paid for.

Deano

Reaction score
There it is! Thank you 👍🏻
I sold that boat a couple of months ago for discount. It takes a special buyer to purchase a turbo boat even though they are very reliable. That one was built/rigged by one of the best and should have went for a LOT more :D

BingerFang

Reaction score
I sold that boat a couple of months ago for discount. It takes a special buyer to purchase a turbo boat even though they are very reliable. That one was built/rigged by one of the best and should have went for a LOT more :D

There’s always cool shit for sale on here but that probably my all time favorite build. The colors, the rigging, the Brummett turbo’d engine it had it all. Hopefully she went to a good home!

joecfd1

Reaction score
I agree. We had a Topcat 1 prior to switching to a toon. Loved that boat!