WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Advice on Complete Re-Gel coat repray on Older Boat

Bucketlist

Reaction score
So I have recently posted several threads on my 1998 Hallett 240 openbow. The boat has gel coat damage on the bottom and left side from an accident. I want to repair and refurbish/ update the boat top to bottom. I have asked advice on a complete automotive style paint job (Imron or similar). Now I am asking about redoing the boat in a 100% re-gel coat spray, new graphics, etc. I understand it is more money, time consuming and more durable. The new graphics will be relatively simple and classic.
If I hire a top notch shop like lageycraft what is the downside of remaking my boat with gel coat?

nrbr

Reaction score
I dont see a downside. I painted half my spectra and in the off season I will be standing paint off and gelcoating all of it. In a high use boat it seems you look at the paint wrong and its scratches

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
TOTALLY agree with RCDave. I've seen what Kevin can do - truly unbelievable. The best, bar none. If it's at all possible, take it to him - well worth the wait and money

hallett21

Reaction score
Whoever you use wait until wintertime and be very specific in what you want. I’d call Barron (Hallett) eliminator, cobra, Lavey Craft etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jailbird141

Reaction score
Give LaveyCraft a call. I have seen Chris do a couple repairs from collisions on different boats. The before and after were amazing.

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far and recommendations on the most talented artists and shops to talk to. Perhaps a redundant question but when a boat is 100% resprayed in gel coat (I will call it top coated for my lack of correct industry lingo), does the respray appear identical to a that of new boat with the gel coat sprayed in the mold? This question assumes a talented artist and shop did the work. Are the color lines crisp, the finished thickness of gel equal amoung the various colors applied, allowing future color sanding, polishing, etc. In other words, two identical boats with two identical gel coat designs, one sprayed in the mold and one was top coat sprayed, the question is could you visually tell the difference and would both applications wear and last the same? Again assuming a top notch artist and shop did both boats.

the510

Reaction score
what should one expect to pay for something like this? a nice paint job for an old hotrod is easily about 10k.

SKIA36

Reaction score
So I have recently posted several threads on my 1998 Hallett 240 openbow. The boat has gel coat damage on the bottom and left side from an accident. I want to repair and refurbish/ update the boat top to bottom. I have asked advice on a complete automotive style paint job (Imron or similar). Now I am asking about redoing the boat in a 100% re-gel coat spray, new graphics, etc. I understand it is more money, time consuming and more durable. The new graphics will be relatively simple and classic.
If I hire a top notch shop like lageycraft what is the downside of remaking my boat with gel coat?

Pats Fiberglass in Montclair. They regelled my 30 Hallett.
20170317_104757.jpg
2010 08 01 004.JPG

stoker22405

Reaction score
Pats fiberglass did mine 3 years ago..All Gel no paint....Had estimates from KMG and a few others and they wanted to use paint...Pats was roughly 30% less than the others and his quality of work is Great...