WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need advice on launching a boat with a Motorhome

McGruff38

Reaction score
We are considering making a trip out to Pirates Cove in Moabi in a few weeks. We will be towing the boat up there with our Motorhome, so we would need to launch the boat with the motorhome (since we wont have a second vehicle with us). The motorhome is a 1991 Fleetwood Flair 25 foot Class A, with a 460 Ford Gas motor. The boat is a Chaparral 216 SSI 21 foot. I have towed our trailer with our sand rail before with motorhome a few times, so im pretty comfortable with the towing aspect. The launching/retrieving is what concerns me. I dont have a hitch on the front, so hooking up to the front is out of the question. I called the RV park and they said the launch ramp isnt very steep and the people launch with RVs all the time. Has anyone done this on that particular ramp? Will my motorhome be capable of pulling the boat back out successfully? Is wheel spin a legitimate concern? I plan to rent a slip so I would only have to launch/retrieve once. Any advice here guys?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
We are considering making a trip out to Pirates Cove in Moabi in a few weeks. We will be towing the boat up there with our Motorhome, so we would need to launch the boat with the motorhome (since we wont have a second vehicle with us). The motorhome is a 1991 Fleetwood Flair 25 foot Class A, with a 460 Ford Gas motor. The boat is a Chaparral 216 SSI 21 foot. I have towed our trailer with our sand rail before with motorhome a few times, so im pretty comfortable with the towing aspect. The launching/retrieving is what concerns me. I dont have a hitch on the front, so hooking up to the front is out of the question. I called the RV park and they said the launch ramp isnt very steep and the people launch with RVs all the time. Has anyone done this on that particular ramp? Will my motorhome be capable of pulling the boat back out successfully? Is wheel spin a legitimate concern? I plan to rent a slip so I would only have to launch/retrieve once. Any advice here guys?

Yes, Steve (2FF) did it with his 33' coach and 26' cat about a month ago with no issues.

77charger

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem depending on steepness of the ramps. Traction should be fine since there's a lot of weight over the rear end too. Trucks that are empty are the ones who usually spin tires on slick ramps. You can also see if they have someone to launch boat for a small fee too I know at needles they charge 10 to launch or retrieve

I have a lance camper on my truck and at Powell I launch boat on the beach. Had guys tell me I'm gonna get stuck cause their dodge cummins 4wd could barely get out of their camp but dumb asses had full air pressure driving on soft sand I was aired down so I had a group watching me waiting to get stuck the look on their faces as I pulled boat out without a tire spinning and then hearing you won't make it over the soft beach to the road a lil hand gesture as I did that too was priceless. If I can haul a Toy hauler over 3/4 mile on sand at glamis 100 feet is easy

McGruff38

Reaction score
Will it be necessary to do anything to aid with traction or anything? Or is the weight of the motorhome itself enough to maintain traction should I have to back onto the slippery stuff.

the lynch mob

Reaction score
I've launched with my motorhomes many times and never had a problem. Motorhomes usually have dual wheels plus a low gear ratio.

brgrcru

Reaction score
We lauch all the time with our Moho. Since mine is the smallest 27' class c . In our group. It's sometimes everyones launch vehicle. :(

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That ramp is nice and wide, with ample traction and a shallow angle. You will be fine, i've done it with my 26' class C and 28' boat.
In fact.....i'll be doing it tomorrow morning ! :D:thumbsup

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
My wife launched & retrieved the 18 ft. boat pictured in my sig line with our old 22 ft. moho lots of times & never had any issues whatsoever. We sold it & have a 28 ft. moho now & while we've towed with it, haven't had the occasion to need to launch or retrieve with it, but I would have no problem doing so if need be. I would say having room to turn around/maneuver at the ramp would be the biggest concern if anything.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Bring your snow chains :D

If you don't have chains, having a bag of coarse sand handy to spread thin in front of the tires will help.

RVRKID

Reaction score
We launched and retrieved an 18 with a 30 at Site 6 with no problems so you should be fine up there. With the overhang of the back I wouldn't think your rears would touch the water.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have a 30' Winnebago and have launch multiple boats multiple times. They have enough ass end weight to cure most of, if any, wheel spin.

McGruff38

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It doesnt sound like this is as much of a concern as I thought it was. :thumbsup

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
We used to launch our boat with our 26' coach at Buckskin all the time. The ramp is a little steeper than normal but we never had any issues.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I think you will be fine. If you have any concerns. Give someone a beer and ask them to launch ur boat with their truck [emoji106][emoji2]

wishiknew

Reaction score
Motorhomes launch every weekend there never seen anyone have a problem (that wasnt liquor induced)

RCDave

Reaction score
How heavy is you boat relative to the RV?

I'm also trying to figure out if I'm comfortable launching with my RV. Its a 35' DP and I'm nearing the purchase of a 22' Cougar 22MTR. It weights about 3,700-3,800 lbs. I don't think it would be problem for my RV but opinions are appreciated

Havasteve

Reaction score
Make sure you video it in case something goes wrong.:D