WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need an LS motor for a buggy

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Ok guys help me find a decent LS motor for a buggy I picked up. It's a heavier dualsport car with a 2d tranny, looking for 400hp/tq. Currently has a dead Northstar motor in it that is too far gone to fix. I'd like to find a good used LS1, 2, or 3. Don't want to go ebay or craigslist, hoping somebody here has a good recommendation for where to find one. Budget is on the lower side so not looking new. If I can't find an all aluminum LS in my price range, I will do an iron block 5.3L or 6.0L and probably just put a cam in it. Again looking for around 400hp. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 156

Meaney77

Reaction score
Try calling CBM in Rancho Cucamonga, great guys to deal with. If they don't have something used I am sure they can help point you in the right direction.

Race dezert and Glamis Dunes both have classified sections with tons of stuff.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Send a pm to Bigbore500r on here. He seems to be all over the LS stuff

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Someone say LS?

Awesome engines, but not if you're on a budget! Keep in mind you'll have to get all new externals for it as well.

Hopefully Jerry will have some ideas for you.

uploadfromtaptalk1423551185821.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423551231821.jpg

28skater

Reaction score
There is a couple of LS motors built by Turn key Engines on Race-Dezert right now.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
There is a couple of LS motors built by Turn key Engines on Race-Dezert right now.

Thanks. I saw those. Couple have more hp than I need. I have a call into one guy.

What I was really hoping for was something like these guys but local with a good reputation. They take used motors and make them stand alone project motors. There is a guy on pirate 4x4 that a lot of guys use but he is booked till April.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 125

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Send a pm to Bigbore500r on here. He seems to be all over the LS stuff

agreed....

I was telling chris about him when we were talking about swaps. I just sent him a pm with a link to the thread so hopefully he chimes in.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I will send a message to my buddy brian at superchargersonline.com some times he comes across stuff.

What kind of power and budget? (stock ls2/3?)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Hello, send me a PM and I can give you some good options. 400 fwhp is easily achievable with a iron block 5.3 and a mild camshaft. The 2D transmission isn't the most durable setup, I would limit the HP to 400, especially in a heavier car. I do alot of these for sandrails, as well as other offroad and hotrod vehicles. You will need a stand alone harness also i would imagine, since you are converting over from a northstar.
Whatever you do...
Do not pay $1900 for a 180k mile 5.3 sight unseen!

JH

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
I will send a message to my buddy brian at superchargersonline.com some times he comes across stuff.

What kind of power and budget? (stock ls2/3?)

400 hp/tq range would be ideal. Need it to be $1500 to $3000 for the motor for it to make sense in this buggy. Anymore than that and it doesn't make sense in a beam car, probably just go back to caddy motor. After looking a bunch today looks like a 5.3 or 6.0l iron block is what's in my price range.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
400 hp/tq range would be ideal. Need it to be $1500 to $3000 for the motor for it to make sense in this buggy. Anymore than that and it doesn't make sense in a beam car, probably just go back to caddy motor. After looking a bunch today looks like a 5.3 or 6.0l iron block is what's in my price range.

I think you are gonna struggle with that budget no matter what you do when you consider you need new headers a harness/pcm and other misc parts to make the swap....Is 3K what you want to be in completed?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
http://pacificfabrication.com/

Here is a place that does packages on ready to run ls.

Bigbore seems to have a good feel for both the LS and what it might need to be ready for the sand/dirt. I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed or blocked off to make sure its offroad ready but I would pick his brain.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Aside from the motor / harness / ECM - You will need the proper trans adaptor plate for a LS (different bellhousing), LS flywheel (specific for the 2d setup..uses a compatible clutch disk and pressure plate), engine mounts (possibly re-tab the frame to accept mounts, depending on where your tabs are now). Also will need headers, new radiator hoses, etc. Should be able to re-use your radiator and fans, and re-use your fuel system as long as it puts out 60psi and can keep up with the LS motor's fuel demands. It all adds up, but it can be done reasonably.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
http://pacificfabrication.com/

Here is a place that does packages on ready to run ls.

Bigbore seems to have a good feel for both the LS and what it might need to be ready for the sand/dirt. I'm not sure if anything needs to be changed or blocked off to make sure its offroad ready but I would pick his brain.

For budget and performance reasons, I would stick with a GM ECM and stand alone harness. Cheaper than MEFI and much more sophisticated at a lower price. As far as what needs to be done to make it "offroad ready" , in a sand car or buggy I like to use a Accusump to ensure constant oil pressure while it is being thrown up and down steep bowls / hills etc. The oil starts sloshing around in the pan, uncovering the pickup and introducing air into the system. Alot of guys run without them, but its a big reason why guys dont get the life out of their motors they think they should.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Hello, send me a PM and I can give you some good options. 400 fwhp is easily achievable with a iron block 5.3 and a mild camshaft. The 2D transmission isn't the most durable setup, I would limit the HP to 400, especially in a heavier car. I do alot of these for sandrails, as well as other offroad and hotrod vehicles. You will need a stand alone harness also i would imagine, since you are converting over from a northstar.
Whatever you do...
Do not pay $1900 for a 180k mile 5.3 sight unseen!

JH

Looks like we were replying at the same time. I'll pm you number. Would love to pick your brain.

Thanks,

Chris

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
So here is how I see it.....

Clutch/adaptor plate kit for LS to Mende from CBM lists at $800
Used LS headers $500 to $700 with mufflers
Motor mounts I can fab...car is tabbed for LS already.
Already have to re-work radiator hoses, it was plumbed goofy which is what lead to its death but I can fab those up
Ump/Baldwin style air filter housing, tubing, mounts $300

So $2000 to $2500 for a used 5.3 with a stand alone ecm and harness.....can't be that hard can it? I can find junk yard 5.3L's all day for $1000 and JEGs sells a stand alone ecm with harness and DBW pedal for less than $1400. :)

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
For budget and performance reasons, I would stick with a GM ECM and stand alone harness. Cheaper than MEFI and much more sophisticated at a lower price. As far as what needs to be done to make it "offroad ready" , in a sand car or buggy I like to use a Accusump to ensure constant oil pressure while it is being thrown up and down steep bowls / hills etc. The oil starts sloshing around in the pan, uncovering the pickup and introducing air into the system. Alot of guys run without them, but its a big reason why guys dont get the life out of their motors they think they should.

Great talking with you today. Thanks for the good info, look forward to hearing back from you. I like the basic 5.3l idea with room to grow if the wife likes the buggy.

Chris

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Ok so Jerry is helping out with a motor for me, 5.3L, now I need to find some headers with mufflers, clutch, adaptor plate, and flywheel. I've been watching Glamisdunes.com and racedezert.com for some used headers, I'll probably go new on adaptor plate, clutch, and flywheel. Anyone got a hook-up at CBM?

Thx,

Chris

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ok so Jerry is helping out with a motor for me, 5.3L, now I need to find some headers with mufflers, clutch, adaptor plate, and flywheel. I've been watching Glamisdunes.com and racedezert.com for some used headers, I'll probably go new on adaptor plate, clutch, and flywheel. Anyone got a hook-up at CBM?

Thx,

Chris

Call and ask for Bruce. Tell him joe/rivermobster told you to call. If you're lucky, he won't hang up on you! :D

Bruce is a good guy. :thumbup:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Got some more good news......this time trans....ring and pinion cracked, right stub axle cracked, 2nd gear pitted.....total .....wait for it....wait for it.... $3070:yikes perfect. Well at least the budget is completely blown now :fsakes

Chris

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Trans is done, just need to pick it up. Motor is at Jerry's place. Now I just need some time to work on it. Oh yeah also need a set of LS headers and mufflers. Anybody got a set laying around they need to get rid of?

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 121