WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Dog Help

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had to put down one of my mini Australian Shepherds due to illness. This has left my other Ozzy very lonely. Looking for another similar dog.
Not looking for purebred, but trying to stay with smaller size dog (35 ish lbs) in the border collie, ozzy shepherd, ozzy cattle dog etc.

Mix is ok, but trying to avoid pit bull, Rottweiler etc.

Due to Covid the shelters are near impossible. They are on a lottery system. I have a plied for several with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated by Bo and myself.

Thanks
Frank
(909) 532-2581

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had to put down one of my mini Australian Shepherds due to illness. This has left my other Ozzy very lonely. Looking for another similar dog.
Not looking for purebred, but trying to stay with smaller size dog (35 ish lbs) in the border collie, ozzy shepherd, ozzy cattle dog etc.

Due to Covid the shelters are near impossible. They are on a lottery system. I have a plied for several with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated by Bo and myself.

Thanks
Frank
(909) 532-2581
Where you located?

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I'm in Norcal, check with the local breed specific rescue groups. We have had really good luck. They foster the dogs for a period of time to see their temperament. That way there are no surprises.

poncho

Reaction score

Thanks
Frank
(909) 532-2581
I'm looking for pretty much the same dog and encountered the same issues, good luck. Literally only option i found in my area was a purebred mini Aussie pup ready for adoption in April at $2500 a pup, every other pup with every other breeder is spoken for, shelters wouldn't even give an appointment to come look.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Try the Helen Woodward shelter in Rancho Santa Fe, SD County. Great no kill shelter that works on donations.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking for pretty much the same dog and encountered the same issues, good luck. Literally only option i found in my area was a purebred mini Aussie pup ready for adoption in April at $2500 a pup, every other pup with every other breeder is spoken for, shelters wouldn't even give an appointment to come look.
Purebred mini aussie "adoption" fee of $2500? Who is the breeder, err, I mean the 'rescue'? Sounds like a scam.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

poncho

Reaction score
Purebred mini aussie "adoption" fee of $2500? Who is the breeder, err, I mean the 'rescue'? Sounds like a scam.

Don't know why but they are getting huge money for these dogs where i live. Didn't put a whole bunch of time in once i saw breeder prices, couldn't get an appointment to go look at dogs in shelters and the rescue organizations i reached out to would never reply.
I have friends involved in rescue's and they said once i get back home to reach out and they would try to help but its like a dog becomes available in the morning and it's spoken for by 10am.
That breeder out of probably 10 that had any decent online reputation was the only one that had a pup not spoken for.

Kbach

Reaction score

Exactly...doesn’t sound like much of a rescue.
We just rehomed our 11 month old Aussie last weekend since she was causing too many anxiety problems with our older (4yr old) Aussie. Hardest decision we’ve had to make in a looooong time. Kids were bummed, we were bummed, grandparents were bummed. Ultimately it’s working out perfect as our little Mollie Tamale went to a family that has her brother from the same litter and they live close by so we can keep in touch. Oh...and our rehoming fee was $0. We just wanted her to go to a loving home.

Good luck with your search.

4CC4D5A5-B16D-484E-A633-61258A3EB4F8.jpeg

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will follow up on all the leads. Water dogs I will call your wife tomorrow.

MSum661

Reaction score
Exactly...doesn’t sound like much of a rescue.
We just rehomed our 11 month old Aussie last weekend since she was causing too many anxiety problems with our older (4yr old) Aussie. Hardest decision we’ve had to make in a looooong time. Kids were bummed, we were bummed, grandparents were bummed. Ultimately it’s working out perfect as our little Mollie Tamale went to a family that has her brother from the same litter and they live close by so we can keep in touch. Oh...and our rehoming fee was $0. We just wanted her to go to a loving home.

Good luck with your search.

View attachment 973627

Those are great Dogs! My last Dog was an Akita and I loved that bastard but if I ever get another dog this would be it.
I have a friend who has one and I was impressed how intelligent these dogs are.

C-2

Reaction score
Facebook has numerous breed-specific rescue groups. We found our Cattle Dog as the result of a posting on a cow dog rescue on FB. You may need to travel to get a dog, but if you're patient you may see a dog you like.

Nordie

Reaction score
Rescues are the way to go. There's a ton of dogs out there looking for another home.

We actually adopted an elder weiner dog last week. We lost our last weiner dog just over a year ago and the wife wanted another. The same rescue had this awesome German Shepherd that my really good friend ended up adopting.

Screenshot_20210217-173137_Gallery.jpg

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Weekend bump.
Waterdog I called your wife. Fingers crossed.
Inland I found a dog at priceless in Chino Hills that I am going to call on when they open.

Thanks again all. I'm still on the hunt.

wzuber

Reaction score
Give this place a call, they may b able to help. We got our dog from there. They have many different breeds. Nancy was really nice and helpful. Reasonably priced at that time...pre covid.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My next dog will be a herding dog. Probably an Australian Cattle Dog. I am tired of lifting a 100 lb dog into the truck. LOL. I want something that about 35-40 lbs that is durable, and has the energy to run with the ole lady. All of her ultra runner friends that have dogs, have either herding dogs, ridgebacks, or vizslas. All can run long distance, but the herding dogs are smaller. Plus my kids follow @DaytonaBabe 's dog Kaiya on IG, although we only know her as "Model Dog".

I will be looking at a rescue also. All be damned if I am paying $2,500 or more for a dog. I think $500 is too much to pay for a dog.

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My next dog will be a herding dog. Probably an Australian Cattle Dog. I am tired of lifting a 100 lb dog into the truck. LOL. I want something that about 35-40 lbs that is durable, and has the energy to run with the ole lady. All of her utra runner friends that have dogs, have either herding dogs, ridgebacks, or vizslas. All can run long distance, but the herding dogs are smaller. Plus my kids follow @DaytonaBabe 's dog Kaiya on IG, although we only know her as "Model Dog".

I will be looking at a rescue also. All be damned if I am paying $2,500 or more for a dog. I think $500 is too much to pay for a dog.

I love the intelligence of the herding breeds. I love ALL dogs, but I don't think we'll ever have another type. It's pretty damn cool to tell her something and have her pretty much know exactly what you're telling her to do. Kaiya is 50 pounds and is so easy to take everywhere easily.

[emoji177][emoji252][emoji177] 'Model dog' just got back from a hike [emoji4]
IMG_20210220_131618_054.jpg
IMG_20210220_131618_115.jpg

Last edited:

poncho

Reaction score
My next dog will be a herding dog. Probably an Australian Cattle Dog. I am tired of lifting a 100 lb dog into the truck. LOL. I want something that about 35-40 lbs that is durable, and has the energy to run with the ole lady. All of her utra runner friends that have dogs, have either herding dogs, ridgebacks, or vizslas. All can run long distance, but the herding dogs are smaller. Plus my kids follow @DaytonaBabe 's dog Kaiya on IG, although we only know her as "Model Dog".

I mentioned the price of what people were getting for purebred Aussies in my area as a barometer, i would never pay that for a dog when there are so many that just need a loving home.
My last rescue came with no real history when i picked her up but i later found out she had spent most of her life in a basement kennel as the live in Mother-in-Law claimed be allergic to her.
This was by far my toughest rescue and i'm known as the dog whisperer in my neighborhood, she had no training of any kind.
Sadly she was older when i got her and about the time she finally realized some one cared she started getting sick.
Lost her last New Years Eve and i would do it all over again and will, just going to take some time.
IMG_1463.JPG

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a couple irons in the fire now.
But you guys are killing me with all the great stories and photos. Here is one of my favorite photos from a couple of years ago. Growing on the left (RIP) and Bo on the right.
I became attached to these types of dogs when I was backpacking through New Zealand and got to watch them work herding sheep. I walked about a half a mile with the rancher who controlled the dogs and sheep with four whistles intermixed with our conversation. It was no less than amazing.
Go to YouTube and watch examples. It will blow your mind.

Attachments

• 8F45241E-9FE8-47A4-ACCE-40CF1F3E1C9C.jpeg
    8F45241E-9FE8-47A4-ACCE-40CF1F3E1C9C.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 68

poncho

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a couple irons in the fire now.
But you guys are killing me with all the great stories and photos. Here is one of my favorite photos from a couple of years ago. Growing on the left (RIP) and Bo on the right.
I became attached to these types of dogs when I was backpacking through New Zealand and got to watch them work herding sheep. I walked about a half a mile with the rancher who controlled the dogs and sheep with four whistles intermixed with our conversation. It was no less than amazing.
Go to YouTube and watch examples. It will blow your mind.
My Aussie was the single greatest animal i have known. 👍 ....beautiful dogs there.