WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need help finding a new Bank

Ct5

Reaction score
I’ve been banking with a credit union where I grew up for years. It started as a local deal and now has changed names several times. I only deal with the branch manager, and she’s great, but it’s extremely inconvenient that they don’t have any branches anywhere close to me now.

I’m going to keep my account at my credit union, but I’d like to open an account at a bank where I can go anywhere and get my money when I need it. I would like to be able to open 529’s for the kids and possibly explore other investment options through the bank.

I have a Chase and a Wells Fargo right by my house. I’m in Apple Valley.

Is it worth doing investments through a bank, or better off going through a company like Fidelity or Schwab? I don’t have the time or knowledge to trade and deal with it regularly.

I don’t do credit cards. I don’t like keeping track of all of it, so that’s a non issue here. Just need a checking and savings account, decent service without ridiculous fees, and I prefer to have some fair priced investment options.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I’ve been banking with a credit union where I grew up for years. It started as a local deal and now has changed names several times. I only deal with the branch manager, and she’s great, but it’s extremely inconvenient that they don’t have any branches anywhere close to me now.

I’m going to keep my account at my credit union, but I’d like to open an account at a bank where I can go anywhere and get my money when I need it. I would like to be able to open 529’s for the kids and possibly explore other investment options through the bank.

Is it worth doing investments through a bank, or better off going through a company like Fidelity or Schwab? I don’t have the time or knowledge to trade and deal with it regularly.

I don’t do credit cards. I don’t like keeping track of all of it, so that’s a non issue here. Just need a checking and savings account, decent service without ridiculous fees, and I prefer to have some fair priced investment options.

Chase has a promotion going on now if you switch to them and do direct Deposits you receive a $225.00 Bonus Gift.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We are a small fish in a big pond and have been with chase for years and are very happy . I have no investments with them so i cant speak on that but we did open a account for our grandson that he can access and we can control which i think is great .

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

I have Chase for my regular banking and just recently opened an account at Alaska Federal. The in person experience is much better than Chase. Not that I need that, but it's refreshing to experience. We have a few up here in the HD.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Some credit unions offer co-op service and you can use other ones that are participants. I was doing that for awhile. My original CU that I've been at for 30+ years is over 40 miles away. Only 1 branch. But I was using Altura 2 miles away.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We have been moving a lot of accounts from MIL and personal from Hawaii. We looked at all banks and decided on Chase. We still have to go to others for various reasons and still very happy on the quality of service at Chase. 👍 Not the day trader type either. As for the investing we have been doing it with the wife’s employer, utilities, my company’s profit sharing program. As for the division making in the past it fell on discussion with our CPA, financial planners with my profit sharing advisor. Best of luck to you and do it as soon as possible. IF you do you will be shocked how things will snowball when you get to your 50s.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
If you have children of age that may need to use a Visa for purchases--I would recommend Capital One.

Years ago I was searching for a bank that would give my kids a card with a Visa/MC logo so they could use it to make purchases when Im not there. I did not just like turning over cash. Cap1 was the only one that offered this. All other banks and CU would only give an ATM card.
It is called a Money Acct.
Parent has full view and control over their account. I opened a Money Market account with Cap1 to have immediate funds to transfer to them if needed, otherwise transfers from an outside bank take about 3 days. Children have Cap1 app so they can see available funds, hook up to Apple Pay, Zelle, etc. .
No account fees or minimums. Cap1 has branch locations but I have never been to one--I also have local CU too but only go into an actual location about once every year.

They offer other loan and investment services but I have never explored them--I use outside services for those.

Reactions: Ct5

Ct5

Reaction score
I have Chase for my regular banking and just recently opened an account at Alaska Federal. The in person experience is much better than Chase. Not that I need that, but it's refreshing to experience. We have a few up here in the HD.
Some credit unions offer co-op service and you can use other ones that are participants. I was doing that for awhile. My original CU that I've been at for 30+ years is over 40 miles away. Only 1 branch. But I was using Altura 2 miles away.
Alaska is a shared branch to my credit union and I’ve dealt with them a little bit. Most of the tellers are confused when I go in and try to make any kind of transaction without having an account there. They still only allow me to take out $500 a day max.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Alaska is a shared branch to my credit union and I’ve dealt with them a little bit. Most of the tellers are confused when I go in and try to make any kind of transaction without having an account there. They still only allow me to take out $500 a day max.
Also in AV.

If you have an actual account there you can take more but it varies day to day depending on the bank and there volume.

If you get to know the tellers a bit, that seems to help. I can normally get over 5k pretty easy from my branch, but I went to one on bear valley not long ago since I was in the area any it was like 3k max but I don't know then at all there.

Similar experience with chase though, I had an account there to separate some business funds. I needed about 8k or so at the time, asked for 8k, they said can't do it, I said how much can I have then, they said we can't tell you, you have to tell us what you want... 🤔. I said 8k again lol. We did this dance for a few minutes as I tried to find the sweet spot, which was 4k or so lol. Dumbest experience. Other than that chase was fine, but I definitely prefer Alaska.

Ct5

Reaction score
Also in AV.

If you have an actual account there you can take more but it varies day to day depending on the bank and there volume.

If you get to know the tellers a bit, that seems to help. I can normally get over 5k pretty easy from my branch, but I went to one on bear valley not long ago since I was in the area any it was like 3k max but I don't know then at all there.

Similar experience with chase though, I had an account there to separate some business funds. I needed about 8k or so at the time, asked for 8k, they said can't do it, I said how much can I have then, they said we can't tell you, you have to tell us what you want... 🤔. I said 8k again lol. We did this dance for a few minutes as I tried to find the sweet spot, which was 4k or so lol. Dumbest experience. Other than that chase was fine, but I definitely prefer Alaska.
When we first moved to Apple Valley I bought a pool table set off offer up for $3500. I offered to pay cash and didn’t realize it was going to take me 7 days to get that cash. It’s easier and faster to take out credit or get a loan than get your own money. I think that’s pretty normal with the way our banking system works…

The inconvenience has saved me a lot of money over the years, so I can be thankful for that. lol

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
When we first moved to Apple Valley I bought a pool table set off offer up for $3500. I offered to pay cash and didn’t realize it was going to take me 7 days to get that cash. It’s easier and faster to take out credit or get a loan than get your own money. I think that’s pretty normal with the way our banking system works…

The inconvenience has saved me a lot of money over the years, so I can be thankful for that. lol
Lol.

Alaska had been pretty good to me on bigger purchases. They will get me quite a bit and if I'm in early enough I can request the rest and pick it to the next day. Nothing to Baller rdp status though.

Ct5

Reaction score
Lol.

Alaska had been pretty good to me on bigger purchases. They will get me quite a bit and if I'm in early enough I can request the rest and pick it to the next day. Nothing to Baller rdp status though.
I’m not baller rdp status by any means…One of my biggest concerns with switching completely from my current bank is setting up all the stuff I have on autopay (I’m talking Netflix, Spotify, Amazon etc. Not helicopter and DCB payments).

I will go in and talk to the banker at Alaska. If I can get an extension I’ll probably do it. I can’t deal with talking to a call center in India every time I have a question.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I’m not baller rdp status by any means…One of my biggest concerns with switching completely from my current bank is setting up all the stuff I have on autopay (I’m talking Netflix, Spotify, Amazon etc. Not helicopter and DCB payments).

I will go in and talk to the banker at Alaska. If I can get an extension I’ll probably do it. I can’t deal with talking to a call center in India every time I have a question.
Lol for sure. Switching that stuff sucks!! I tend to keep everything on a credit card though and pay it off each month just in case something is hacked they wont have access to my main bank account.

I definitely suggest going you the branch. I like the one on apple valley Rd.

You can call and talk to a stateside person though but I get treated well in person. The last autoloan I got I called them to see if they would match out best frontwave credit union and they didn't come close on the phone. I went to the branch and the manger was able to beat it by a small amount for me.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I've not run into the confusion deal. I did find out I can take out more from my affiliate bank if I transfer it over first.

Ct5

Reaction score
Lol for sure. Switching that stuff sucks!! I tend to keep everything on a credit card though and pay it off each month just in case something is hacked they wont have access to my main bank account.

I definitely suggest going you the branch. I like the one on apple valley Rd.

You can call and talk to a stateside person though but I get treated well in person. The last autoloan I got I called them to see if they would match out best frontwave credit union and they didn't come close on the phone. I went to the branch and the manger was able to beat it by a small amount for me.
The one in Jess Ranch is right by me, I’ll check it out. They have a big one behind all the stores and one in one of the shopping centers right?

Not sure how your application to this site was accepted with an auto loan on your record…

I've not run into the confusion deal. I did find out I can take out more from my affiliate bank if I transfer it over first.
It must be my luck with always getting the new 18 year old teller. Over time you figure out who’s been around a while and can make things happen.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The one in Jess Ranch is right by me, I’ll check it out. They have a big one behind all the stores and one in one of the shopping centers right?

Not sure how your application to this site was accepted with an auto loan on your record…

It must be my luck with always getting the new 18 year old teller. Over time you figure out who’s been around a while and can make things happen.
Lol, I much have snuck it in.

Don't quote me but a buddy told me the Jess ranch once closed recently?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
That limit might actually be YOUR credit union's limit. I had to call mine to have them allow me to withdraw more on the daily. The closest Altura doesn't allow me to go in and use a teller anymore. Dunno why. But when they did, I used it just as if it were my CU. I rarely need to go in to use teller services anyway, so no big to me. I would just need to find another branch. But I can at least withdraw $1000 daily if I need to.

Riley1

Reaction score
Stick with a local Credit Union if you can. Who is accountable to the local community and its interests. All the big ones like Chase and Wells Fargo have gone totally Woke and Gay. The convenience they offer is not worth the damage they are contributing to this country.

Full disclosure, we use a local Credit Union, but do have a chase account. Getting less and less dependent on Chase. And have also noticed they have a huge fraud problem. We have exponentially more problems with Chase than any other card/account.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I travel all over for work, and use Wells Fargo. I have never been in a town that didn't have a branch or ATM, no matter how small the town is.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

We have had our credit union for almost 30 yrs. We still love them. In the past we had a few car loans with them. When we were ready to buy a car I would just call them and say I wanted to buy xyz car for xxxx.xx. They would say ok let us know where to send the check. Never filled out an application. Usually the next week or so I would get the loan docs to sign and mail back to them.

Now that we are not in San Diego anymore we ran into the same problems you have . We just couldn't give up the credit union. We opened a Regions Bank savings account, as they are near both our summer and winter homes. Then I linked those 2 accounts together, so I can transfer money back and forth as needed.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've been with a Southern California bank since I was born. They only have branches in Orange and LA counties. Since moving to Az I just opened a checking account at Chase to deposit and withdraw cash or checks. I'll transfer funds between Banks when needed.
What I like about Chase is there is always one wherever I go. They're always clean and don't have riffraff customers. I don't take loans or have a line of credit so I don't have much to say about that.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
I use Chase for day-to-day bs and traveling since they are almost everywhere! Prime example, we went to Florida, and right out the gate lost my damn debit card. Walked into chase withdrew cash and they even sent a replacement debit to the hotel we were staying at (before most branches did replacements on site)

Use a small local bank for purchases, and most of my other accounts. Nice having a first name basis and the ability to call saying I'm buying xyz get if funded, and I will be in to do the paperwork this week.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Once again Chase has my vote. Went to the branch to deposit a check as we close out accounts from other banks. The staff is always so present. She showed how we are able to do it from the AMT or drive through. It was not the type of conversation saying we don’t want to help but hey did you know you can do things without waiting lines. It is such a breath of fresh air compared to First Hawaiian Bank or Wells Fargo.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I have been with Chase since I fired my bank in 2002. Washington Mutual --> Chase, maybe something in between. I have never had a complaint, and as a poor college kid they treated me great, no fees and such, and have been great as I have grown up. When I did my kitchen and needed to pull out 7k cash at a time, they never batted an eyelash. I like that they have locations everywhere, that was the main appeal.

I do not do anything else with them besides savings and checking, my current investments are only employee share purchase, and 401k. Both a little painful right now :)

I do need to look into what to do with my cash surplus, and putting it to work for me, but the way to do that isn't as straight forward as last year, so my urgency is quite decreased. I eventually need to speak with a financial advisor at some point I suppose.